Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Anyone can be a minister.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FabioClone
Oct 3, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Phenotype posted:

Although them being church blacks church people was a little off - I didn't think either Dennis or Mac's actors looked old or professional enough to be a deacon.

So maybe the lesson we're supposed to learn is that black people can't be professional?

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
It's like everybody keeps forgetting that nothing in the episode actually happened except for OBM falling asleep watching The Wiz.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Phenotype posted:

Although them being church blacks church people was a little off - I didn't think either Dennis or Mac's actors looked old or professional enough to be a deacon.

lol they didnt look professional enough to be tax exempt pedophiles?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It's more obvious when you realize the black ones are wearing the same clothes as the gang.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

bring back old gbs posted:

lol they didnt look professional enough to be tax exempt pedophiles?

That's not fair, pedophile preachers are catholic. Since they're black they're probably baptists :racist101:

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Cojawfee posted:

I think Dennis was fat because while he thinks he is a golden god, he really sees himself as fat.

Man, what are the rules?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

I don't think Dennis sees himself as fat so much as he is desperately afraid that others will. He pops that shirt off an awful lot, you know?

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

Powaqoatse posted:

I don't think Dennis sees himself as fat so much as he is desperately afraid that others will. He pops that shirt off an awful lot, you know?

He's fat because Old Man see him as a fat man in a thin man's body.

Strange Charm
Apr 6, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

I think Dennis was fat because while he thinks he is a golden god, he really sees himself as fat.
I liked that he showed no negative reaction to seeing his reflection. I like to imagine that even with an obese black man staring back at him, Dennis only saw what he wanted to see (Dennis).

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Strawman posted:

He's fat because Old Man see him as a fat man in a thin man's body.

Yeah. Dennis isn't fat, and doesn't think he's fat (hence the popping off the shirt), but he's very afraid of being seen as fat (again, with the shirt and the golden god).

Old Black Man sees him as fat, which (if Dennis knew) would probably kill him.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

socilest butthomo posted:

I liked that he showed no negative reaction to seeing his reflection. I like to imagine that even with an obese black man staring back at him, Dennis only saw what he wanted to see (Dennis).

Pretty sure he said something like "that's interesting" which I guess isn't super negative, but both himself and his black reflection were making faces that weren't super into it I'm pretty sure. e: Could just be the "being black" thing and not the "being fat" thing

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Guys those are not the rules, that wasn't Dennis looking at himself, that was Scott Bakula's character from Quantum Leap who is also Scott Bakula quantum leaping into Old Black Man while he was having a dream of the gang.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
The utterly ridiculous nonsense premise alone makes this episode awesome, in my opinion.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe
I loved it. I liked how they pulled off the singing--the characters just break into song, and they're as surprised by it as everyone else is.

I know that when Dennis, Mac, and Charlie were trying to get into Dennis's vehicle, I started laughing, knowing what was going to happen. And while most shows would go out of their way to deal with the confrontation between them and the police, IASIP simply skips to what we all know was going to happen: they're arrested. When they burst into "I think we just found out a new rule!", I drat near died.

I horrorlaughed when Charlie got shot. I cringelaughed when Dennis commented on how long it took black people to learn that their lives mattered. Just a lot of laughs, some of them uncomfortable, all around.

I normally hate it when a non-musical show does a musical episode. Scrubs did it, hell a bunch of shows have done it, and it never really works for me. This one did, probably because, again, they didn't just burst into song because suddenly they were in a musical. It was an involuntary thing, something they were somehow being subjected to. Great stuff.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

get that OUT of my face posted:

Oh, you'd be surprised. Lots of pop culture criticism these days docks or adds points depending on whether the reviewer thinks it's compatible with their political views. Sometimes they even view politics in something that isn't there (the AVC review of the new Man Seeking Woman said that the "illegal boyfriend" bit was weighing in on immigration, which is wrong as hell, because it's an absurdist dating sitcom and nothing more).

lol

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

when i look in the mirror i see scott blackula

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

Powaqoatse posted:

when i look in the mirror i see scott blackula

hi scott

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

hi are you me?

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

To all the people ITT who hate musicals, I just watched La La Land and it was (really) cool and (really) good. The non-musical parts were really good too which I find to be a rare quality

Regardless tho haven't any of you even seen Merry Poppins or Singin' in the Rain? :raise:

Yossarian-22 fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Jan 7, 2017

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Or Wizard of Oz?

Singin in the Rain has, probably, the most famous scene in any movie.

And La La Land was very good, but had a really bad ending so I can't recommend it. At least the song/dance segments were long takes as opposed to newer musicals that are just long music videos.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Yossarian-22 posted:

To all the people ITT who hate musicals, I just watched La La Land and it was (really) cool and (really) good. The non-musical parts were really good too which I find to be a rare quality

Regardless tho haven't any of you even seen Merry Poppins or Singin' in the Rain? :raise:

Most people don't like or at least don't watch musicals. We know this because relatively speaking very few are produced. It's not some massive untapped market that somehow slid under the radar of an industry that's based on throwing everything at the wall in the hopes something will stick.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Musicals are very popular. They are hard as hell to make. It's hard enough to make a good movie but to make a good movie that is also, effectively, a good pop album. It's a rare feat. Also, nowadays in Hollywood, the talent isn't particularly talented with singing or dancing. Back in the golden age, you had stars that could sing and dance. Now, most of the time, in order to make a dance look good you shoot it from tons of angles and cut constantly to give the illusion of dancing.

Watching La La Land was difficult at times because Gosling/Stone aren't very good dancers or singers. And if you watch Mamma Mia, Pierce Brosnins song is a particular highlight. Why was Grease such a success? Perhaps because the lead could dance and wasn't a horrible singer?

There are tons of talented people in Hollywood that can sing and can dance. They aren't stars. And studios aren't going to put $$ into a film with no stars to lead it.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

I finally saw the most recent episode and didn't really enjoy it. I ended up skipping over most of the musical pieces and found the social commentary a bit heavy handed (although reasonable). It's good that they're trying new things and I can see how people would like this episode.

I'm trying to articulate what I like about IASIP, generally there's some kind of factionalization, backstabbing and viciously cruel arguments that stop just short of becoming screaming matches. "The Gang Runs for Office" and "The Gang Gets Trapped" are some of the best episodes in my opinion because of their focus on these elements. The gang is at it's best when it's members are ruthlessly undermining each other.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I didn't like this episode that I skipped over all the jokes.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Sure it's great when the gang yells at each other, but we are in the 12th season. I for one love their experimental episodes and change up the format a bit.

Also it's really dumb to be like, "I didn't like the episode cause I skipped over half of it and didn't know what was going on with the social commentary."

What are the rules, when you just turned black and can't switch back, you gotta know the rules.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Waltzing Along posted:

I thought it was a great episode. I'm more bothered about all the people saying they hate musicals. And then I wonder, what musicals have these haters actually seen?

From the ones mentioned, I've seen Wizard of Oz, Les Miserable, Mary Poppins, Grease, and some of the other really well known ones I can't think of off the top of my head. I like the Wizard of Oz but more because it's a classic movie with a great story and the singing doesn't take over every scene in the movie. I just find them boring and the music/songs are generally just terrible. I think it was Tom Hanks who said once he had problems with people just bursting into song randomly. It's just forced and reminds me of terrible high school theater.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Sure it's great when the gang yells at each other, but we are in the 12th season. I for one love their experimental episodes and change up the format a bit.

Definitely. The show strikes a fine balance in showing the gang's mutual loathing without making it tiresome, it would quickly stop being funny if they just screamed at each other all the time. Also "Charlie Work" and "The Gang Hits the Slopes" were great episodes where trying something different worked out very well, this one just fell flat with me.

Nocturtle fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Jan 7, 2017

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Nocturtle posted:

The gang is at it's best when it's members are ruthlessly undermining each other.

This really rings true for me as well; I went back and watched The Gang Gets Trapped again, maybe my favorite episode of the whole run, and it's so wonderful the way they're nominally united in a common goal (recover artifact, avoid Southern torture dungeon), and yet constantly squabble and pointlessly undermine each other in pursuit of their own self interests. It's wonderful.

I also thought this ep was pretty good.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Nocturtle posted:

Definitely. The show strikes a fine balance in showing the gang's mutual loathing without making it tiresome, it would quickly stop being funny if they just screamed at each other all the time. Also "Charlie Work" and "The Gang Hits the Slopes" were great episodes where trying something different worked out very well, this one just fell flat with me.

Its cause you skipped over half of it cause you're afraid of music.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
The songs were really quite great, people complaining about the playback and the quality apparently never watched any blaxploitation films which is pretty funny cause I didn't either and yet due to my (possibly racist? what are the rules) assumptions I knew the gang nailed those.

Really the songs were great, what's wrong with them? The choreography was also hilarious.

emanresu tnuocca fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Jan 7, 2017

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different
I haven't been able to get the rules song out of my head ever since I watched the episode. I think I'm gonna be stuck with it playing in my head for the rest of my life.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Yeah you can't really criticise a piece of media if you skipped over most of it...

I liked it, not the best episode, not the worst. Some great lines though, and the main song was catchy.

"I can't believe it's taken black people this long to realise their lives matter." The deliver on this absolutely killed me, Dennis is just so genuinely confused.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I skip over all the parts where the gang yells because it hurts my ears

Furthermore,

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Haha looks like I've touched a nerve.

I will say I enjoyed Frank's song about wanting to talk like black guys, just completely absurd.

VVVVVVVV WRONG I'm clearly a jabroni.

Nocturtle fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Jan 7, 2017

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Nocturtle posted:

Haha looks like I'm a twat.

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different

Nocturtle posted:

VVVVVVVV WRONG I'm clearly a jabroni.

I would've also accepted 'bozo' as a valid insult.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

in a way we are all jabronies ~

Dave Angel
Sep 8, 2004

Powaqoatse posted:

Yeah. Dennis isn't fat, and doesn't think he's fat (hence the popping off the shirt), but he's very afraid of being seen as fat (again, with the shirt and the golden god).

Old Black Man sees him as fat, which (if Dennis knew) would probably kill him.

I dunno, he looks pretty fat in this picture of him here:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Dave Angel posted:

I dunno, he looks pretty fat in this picture of him here:

thats the child molester who is fat and looks like dennis.

dennis has an alright body for a 40 years old man, but he is so very intent on having others acknowlegde him as a golden god.