Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

temple posted:

My younger brother used to get loot crate and he did it just for tee-shirts and posters. The meta game of it is trading with other people because each crate slightly different. And they provide cheap and easy gifts. It makes sense if you have large circle of nerd friends.

hmm

no it doesn't

If you want tee shirts and posters you

1 - buy the tshirts and posters
2 -

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
"but i want to pay a premium so I can maybe get the tshirts and posters I want but still have a big chance of not getting the ones I want"

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

Zzulu posted:

hmm

no it doesn't

If you want tee shirts and posters you

1 - buy the tshirts and posters
2 -

Every loot crate on a given month is the same. They change month to month. If you get three loot crates in one month, they will have the same things in them, though probably slightly varied versions (like when we got TMNT actions figures. Some got Leo while some got Raph and others got Donny and still others got Mikey)

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Guy Goodbody posted:

I'm imagining just a regular unboxing video, but after you finish showing off each item, you pitch it into a wood chipper

That's Ashens' shtick though, without the actual wood chipper.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

nice

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
GEEK CULTUR E

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Those Funko Pop things are crazy popular for some reason. I went to a toy store before christmas, and they had 100 feet of aisle space devoted to just them.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Kids/manchilds love that poo poo

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

nerd/geek culture is bullshit

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Randarkman posted:

nerd/geek culture is bullshit

Only worthy of mocking, really

E: And even then, just barely

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Those Funko Pop things are crazy popular for some reason. I went to a toy store before christmas, and they had 100 feet of aisle space devoted to just them.

I'm a huge baby who likes toys and stupid garbage but I don't get those big head things. They're just ugly and not very good.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
Can someone please explain to me how making fun of the way the Chinese language sounds is racist?

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

They are super expensive and always look like trash. So I can see they appeal to the target audience perfectly.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

hemale in pain posted:

I'm a huge baby who likes toys and stupid garbage but I don't get those big head things. They're just ugly and not very good.

Same.

A friend of mine got me one for xmas and it's like, ok thanks for getting me something but why?

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

This is one of my favorites from the early days of HitB
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mLUQpOn9Dw&t=857s

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Trunko posted:

Can someone please explain to me how making fun of the way the Chinese language sounds is racist?

Acknowledging that accents exist is borderline insensitive. Deriving joy or amusement from them is straight up Klannish.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

counterfeitsaint posted:

This is one of my favorites from the early days of HitB
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mLUQpOn9Dw&t=857s

It's a shame they got banned from all the conventions

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Supernorn posted:

They are super expensive and always look like trash. So I can see they appeal to the target audience perfectly.

$9 breaks my bank too. :(

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
I have a Drew Brees funko pop.

Ok. Thanks for reading.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Funko pop? More like funko poop! Check this out.

http://www.nonaptime.com/portfolio/red-letter-media-characters/

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

counterfeitsaint posted:

Acknowledging that accents exist is borderline insensitive. Deriving joy or amusement from them is straight up Klannish.

It reminds me of something I saw I an old Gbs thread titled "racist things grandparents say" or something g to that affect. And somebody posted

"oh my g. Once while watching the Olympics and there was a skier who was, black, and my grandma piped up and said 'well at least he won't get lost in the snow!' and I was just so shocked but I guess she grew up in a different time where horrible racism was the norm but please grandma don't say that again oh grandma"

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

lmao if they think that it's directed specifically at them and not at the other hundred much more popular podcasts that do the exact same shilling

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Calaveron posted:

lmao if they think that it's directed specifically at them and not at the other hundred much more popular podcasts that do the exact same shilling

They took it, personally, and really loved the video. Loved it.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
Until they hated it.

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.
I think the Prometheus video is the first rlm video I ever saw and what lead me to the phantom menace review.

I really hated prometheus.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Trunko posted:

Making fun of how foreign people talk is often kind of racist actually.

The Archaic
Jul 6, 2003

Are you a consultant archaeologist in North America?

Unionize today!

PM me and ask me how your future can be history!
"They're grouchy assholes and they hate everything!"

Hoo boy you sure got our number!

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

The Archaic posted:

"They're grouchy assholes and they hate everything!"

Hoo boy you sure got our number!

They're independant and can do that kind of thing, but you know we have these corporate responsibilities.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
So why is it that these red letter mediai chaps are independant and can do that kind of thing

Is it because they actually produce their own relatively successful projects that aren't beholden to any corporate interests and marketing guidelines like so many lovely podcasts and youtube people who would willingly catch corporate cum with their open mouths if it nets them at least almost minimum wage salary or what

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.

Calaveron posted:

So why is it that these red letter mediai chaps are independant and can do that kind of thing

Is it because they actually produce their own relatively successful projects that aren't beholden to any corporate interests and marketing guidelines like so many lovely podcasts and youtube people who would willingly catch corporate cum with their open mouths if it nets them at least almost minimum wage salary or what

yeah pretty much.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

khwarezm posted:

Making fun of people is often kind of problematic actually.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Buying a podcast/youtube channel can't cost that much. Give them some exclusive preview footage/early builds to drive up their views, overpriced merchandise like those pip boys, whatever. I swear if Highlander 2 came out today every nerdcast would be saying it was better than the original.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Calaveron posted:

On youtube first is often more important than quality. The first review up, the first early access video, the first reaction video. That's where the huge views are, and if you're even a day later than others it can mean the difference between your video getting a million views or only 10,000 views. So, movies and games will invite key members of the youtube shill-o-sphere to get exclusive early access to what ever they're promoting, but usually with a ton of strings attached. One of them usually that they can't make a review video, just a video saying that they watched or played what ever and that it was fun or exciting, but nothing that constitutes a review. They can "react" to it, but not critically review it. The other thing they have to agree to is to not release any of their videos until a certain date, this is to give all the shills they invited a chance to put together and edit their videos and have them drop on the same day/time so no one has an advantage, because "first" is so important.

Now to even get invited to early screenings or secret extended trailers or limited time demo's you have to be a known commodity. You need X subscribers in Y and Z demographics, and you need an established track record of getting very excited about geek culture and exuding hype about everything. If you're known for being critical of products, you don't get invited. If you have broken any of their conditions, you don't get invited. If someone else can make a better o-face every time the word "x-wing" or "vader's light saber" is said, they get invited instead of you.

RLM doesn't depend on this sort of relationship at all. They review old rear end B movies, they make fun of the hype for upcoming poo poo, and they tend to only put out reviews well after the initial hype of a new release has died down a bit. The people watching RLM videos aren't the same people that desperately search for for "20 SECRETS YOU DIDN'T KNOW ABOUT THE NEW NERD MEDIA PRODUCT WHO'S TRAILER JUST CAME OUT 10 SECONDS AGO!!!!" because they're just so hyped and are frantically clicking on every clickbait marketing poo poo they see because oh my god nerd culture!!!!

Some of these talking heads started out much like RLM. They were just some people who talked about video games or movies or geek culture or what ever and were fairly honest about it. They established a bit of a following, enough to attract some corporate attention. Hey, why say no to a free early access demo of this game? Why say no to being flown out to see an extended trailer and some select scenes of the latest nerd movie? They can still be honest and have integrity in their other videos.. But soon they come to be addicted to these relationships, and they've sold out, they've become worse than a hack fraud, they've become a sold out shill.

Oh, they also have to do "youtube voice" the moment they sell out or want to sell out. I think you can only get a corporate relationship if you put on a really weird impression of what you think a radio announcer on drugs sounds like.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
What are some other good youtube folks for quality movie reviews or deep dives on technical or story detail that folks here like? I really like Every Frame a Painting but other than that I haven't found much.

I used to watch Mr Sunday Movies but it is too nerd culture for me (plus the lootcrate stuff). The RLM video that satirized the "59 things in the rogue one trailer that YOU missed" type of video seemed to be targeting that one directly.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Baronjutter posted:

On youtube first is often more important than quality. The first review up, the first early access video, the first reaction video. That's where the huge views are, and if you're even a day later than others it can mean the difference between your video getting a million views or only 10,000 views. So, movies and games will invite key members of the youtube shill-o-sphere to get exclusive early access to what ever they're promoting, but usually with a ton of strings attached. One of them usually that they can't make a review video, just a video saying that they watched or played what ever and that it was fun or exciting, but nothing that constitutes a review. They can "react" to it, but not critically review it. The other thing they have to agree to is to not release any of their videos until a certain date, this is to give all the shills they invited a chance to put together and edit their videos and have them drop on the same day/time so no one has an advantage, because "first" is so important.

Now to even get invited to early screenings or secret extended trailers or limited time demo's you have to be a known commodity. You need X subscribers in Y and Z demographics, and you need an established track record of getting very excited about geek culture and exuding hype about everything. If you're known for being critical of products, you don't get invited. If you have broken any of their conditions, you don't get invited. If someone else can make a better o-face every time the word "x-wing" or "vader's light saber" is said, they get invited instead of you.

RLM doesn't depend on this sort of relationship at all. They review old rear end B movies, they make fun of the hype for upcoming poo poo, and they tend to only put out reviews well after the initial hype of a new release has died down a bit. The people watching RLM videos aren't the same people that desperately search for for "20 SECRETS YOU DIDN'T KNOW ABOUT THE NEW NERD MEDIA PRODUCT WHO'S TRAILER JUST CAME OUT 10 SECONDS AGO!!!!" because they're just so hyped and are frantically clicking on every clickbait marketing poo poo they see because oh my god nerd culture!!!!

Some of these talking heads started out much like RLM. They were just some people who talked about video games or movies or geek culture or what ever and were fairly honest about it. They established a bit of a following, enough to attract some corporate attention. Hey, why say no to a free early access demo of this game? Why say no to being flown out to see an extended trailer and some select scenes of the latest nerd movie? They can still be honest and have integrity in their other videos.. But soon they come to be addicted to these relationships, and they've sold out, they've become worse than a hack fraud, they've become a sold out shill.

Oh, they also have to do "youtube voice" the moment they sell out or want to sell out. I think you can only get a corporate relationship if you put on a really weird impression of what you think a radio announcer on drugs sounds like.

Post your sources plz

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

priznat posted:

What are some other good youtube folks for quality movie reviews or deep dives on technical or story detail that folks here like? I really like Every Frame a Painting but other than that I haven't found much.

I used to watch Mr Sunday Movies but it is too nerd culture for me (plus the lootcrate stuff). The RLM video that satirized the "59 things in the rogue one trailer that YOU missed" type of video seemed to be targeting that one directly.

Now You See It is another good technical channel.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Now You See It is another good technical channel.

Cool thanks, checking it out now.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

priznat posted:

Cinefix is actually really good, although at first glance it looks like another Watchmojo/buzzfeedesque '10 best buttcracks in the Terminator Franchise!' crap that actually seems to be a front to just get people to watch their in depth videos on advanced visual storytelling techniques. They also don't just restrict themselves to blockbusters, or genre movies or movies from the last three decades which is something I really like.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Calaveron posted:

nah it cant be that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

a bone to pick posted:

Post your sources plz

Source: Capitalism

• Locked thread