Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

platform is for primaries, the general is a popularity contest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

theflyingexecutive posted:

platform is for primaries, the general is a popularity contest

Campaigns still need at least some kind of thesis statement for the general.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
It's 3am again. Hillary Clinton is a shitfuck Hitler Satan and I hope she eats dog rear end.

Sorry guys, my heart's just not in it tonight. I'll take my 6 hour for low energy.:smith:

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Yossarian-22 posted:

No way 90%, UHC would probably mostly be funded via bigger sales taxes, and I guess GMI's cool

Regardless there are enough corporate shill democrats that all of that poo poo would get watered down, and even if it did somehow happen, corporations would flee the country en masse

Neoliberalism=race to the bottom under all circumstances

Sales tax is the most regressive of all taxes and don't pretend any corporations need an excuse to "flee the country"

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Neeksy posted:

Campaigns still need at least some kind of thesis statement for the general.

that's internal messaging, so advocates can speak to specific people about specific issues. Hillary won three debates talking about the platform while her opponent hosed a chair and she lost the general. I'm not saying a campaign shouldn't be grounded in real policy ideas and proposals, but let's not pretend people go into voting booths thinking about marginal tax rates and the finer points of budgeting

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

theflyingexecutive posted:

that's internal messaging, so advocates can speak to specific people about specific issues. Hillary won three debates talking about the platform while her opponent hosed a chair and she lost the general. I'm not saying a campaign shouldn't be grounded in real policy ideas and proposals, but let's not pretend people go into voting booths thinking about marginal tax rates and the finer points of budgeting

By thesis statement I mean at least a general idea or philosophy, not detailed policy.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Neeksy posted:

By thesis statement I mean at least a general idea or philosophy, not detailed policy.

right, a party platform is not a thesis statement. The dem platform for 2016 was 39 pages long and included very specific policy proposals

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Shinjobi posted:

It's 3am again. Hillary Clinton is a shitfuck Hitler Satan and I hope she eats dog rear end.

Sorry guys, my heart's just not in it tonight. I'll take my 6 hour for low energy.:smith:

i would think that a statement of fact would be sodium-free, but then again:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSoOe5w_WcU

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
It's income inequality and stagnating wages, those were the issues she needed to run on, but couldn't, because she's worth over a hundred million dollars and those issues didn't get better under the president shes married to, or the one she tried to wrap herself in like an American flag.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Ace of Baes posted:

It's income inequality and stagnating wages, those were the issues she needed to run on, but couldn't, because she's worth over a hundred million dollars and those issues didn't get better under the president shes married to, or the one she tried to wrap herself in like an American flag.

she needed to both run on those and also sum it up in 4 words or voters would immediately lose interest and go back to blaming minorities

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977

Yinlock posted:

she needed to both run on those and also sum it up in 4 words or voters would immediately lose interest and go back to blaming minorities

No she just needed to be authentic and trust worthy.

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
Bernie Sanders would have won because he was authentic, felt comfortable in his own skin, and addressed income inequality, stagnating wages, bad trade deals, an insanely low minimum wage, and a failing healthcare system.

Clinton wasn't authentic, didn't adress income inequality (because she's worth millions), called the TPP the gold standard, waivered on the fight for 15, and said single payer will never happen.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Ace of Baes posted:

No she just needed to be authentic and trust worthy.

more accurately she needed to be CONSIDERED authentic and trust worthy, which was impossible because of her doorknob-like charisma and the 20 year smear campaign

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Ace of Baes posted:

Bernie Sanders would have won because he was authentic, felt comfortable in his own skin, and addressed income inequality, stagnating wages, bad trade deals, an insanely low minimum wage, and a failing healthcare system.

none of these things matter more than a snappy catchphrase and a red hat

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

:same:

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977

Yinlock posted:

more accurately she needed to be CONSIDERED authentic and trust worthy, which was impossible because of her doorknob-like charisma and the 20 year smear campaign

I think her robotic speech patterns, and the fact that everything she says sounds focus group tested pre written platitudes meant to be as inoffensive as possible and her unwillingness to take actual stances was much worse.

See Clinton on: Fight for 15, BLM, DAPL etc.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

not arguing that hillary doesn't suck but the whole "bernie would have won because rural voters who fell for the world's most obvious lies are extremely concerned about economic policy" thing is lol

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977

Yinlock posted:

If you believe that OK, but I disagree.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977

Yinlock posted:

not arguing that hillary doesn't suck but the whole "bernie would have won because rural voters who fell for the world's most obvious lies are extremely concerned about economic policy" thing is lol

I think rural voters would have been more likely to swing towards him because they live in decaying communities, they've seen their quality of life go down over time, Bernie blamed crony capitalism and corporate greed, Trump blamed the government and immigrants, Clinton told them America was already great and look at how good the "economy" is.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Yinlock posted:

she's also actually unauthentic and untrustworthy

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Concerned Citizen posted:

i've never lost.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HI6d65zPox4

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
Anyone else read Bernie's book yet? Im like half way through it p. good, Bernie narrates the audiobook along with Mark Ruffalo.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Ace of Baes posted:

Anyone else read Bernie's book yet? Im like half way through it p. good, Bernie narrates the audiobook along with Mark Ruffalo.

is there a bonus track of his folk singing afaf

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Yinlock posted:

yea its not really absolutes, people have a hard time with this because they keep categorizing and trying to box people into one certain affiliation, when theres multiple things going on.

it just comes off as all rurals are racists, when theres only actually a handful of real shitheads, and a handful that are actually worried about job security. Truth is always in the middle. H*ck even both sometimes for some people. There's just too many people out there with inconsistent thoughts, different upbringing, and perspectives. It's easy to make a scapegoat and try to find the faults, which is why pendants are the worst.

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977

Lastgirl posted:

is there a bonus track of his folk singing afaf

idk im half way through it

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
~ ofc there is no racism in cities ~

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Baloogan posted:

Vancouver is a lovely place.

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977

Lastgirl posted:

yea its not really absolutes, people have a hard time with this because they keep categorizing and trying to box people into one certain affiliation, when theres multiple things going on.

it just comes off as all rurals are racists, when theres only actually a handful of real shitheads, and a handful that are actually worried about job security. Truth is always in the middle. H*ck even both sometimes for some people. There's just too many people out there with inconsistent thoughts, different upbringing, and perspectives. It's easy to make a scapegoat and try to find the faults, which is why pendants are the worst.

Racism isn't a clear easily definable thing either, there are plenty of people, especially in rural areas, who are racist in the sense that they think BLM is a bunch of violent thugs and that cops are upstanding citizens, but have no issues with black people that fall into their personal idea of what a "good one" is, or that hispanics are good people but undocumented immigrants are a plague on society. I think most important factor is, most of these people, in my experience, don't care as much about issues like this as they do the economy, so when they have 2 candidates, theyre willing to overlook racism or racist rhetoric because it's much lower on the priority list compared to jobs or w.e. Or if they lean towards racism, it reinforces their likelihood to view trump as better on the economy.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

silver ruthlessly owned the rest of the stats heads and gave trump credible chances back in june lol

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

he went against the grain for the whole general election by taking trump & polling uncertainty seriously and deserves the credit of his relative victory imo

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

Peel posted:

he went against the grain for the whole general election by taking trump & polling uncertainty seriously and deserves the credit of his relative victory imo

And President Clinton will be sure to reward him justly

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
and castles made of sand
fall into the sea
bernie would have won

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

Yinlock posted:

First time I've seen red hats blamed for Clinton's loss, so delicious and salty lol

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

"We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."

- The Chief

frakeaing HAMSTER DANCE posted:

First time I've seen red hats blamed for Clinton's loss, so delicious and salty lol

Right?

I've had barbecue pork less delicious.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
https://mobile.twitter.com/loganscasey/status/817519219017388032

gently caress this gay earth :suicide:

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Ace of Baes posted:

Racism isn't a clear easily definable thing either, there are plenty of people, especially in rural areas, who are racist in the sense that they think BLM is a bunch of violent thugs and that cops are upstanding citizens, but have no issues with black people that fall into their personal idea of what a "good one" is, or that hispanics are good people but undocumented immigrants are a plague on society. I think most important factor is, most of these people, in my experience, don't care as much about issues like this as they do the economy, so when they have 2 candidates, theyre willing to overlook racism or racist rhetoric because it's much lower on the priority list compared to jobs or w.e. Or if they lean towards racism, it reinforces their likelihood to view trump as better on the economy.

For some of them, they are in such situational despair that the situation is that of survival. Consequences and considerations for societal externalities don't enter their thought process when they are one more paycheckless month from financial ruin. People who are panicked often make terrible and seemingly selfish decisions. Trump was able to take advantage of it by merely addressing these feelings, even though common sense would look at his entire history and that of the GOP and know it's a disingenuous gesture at best.

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

"We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."

- The Chief

Race Realists posted:

gently caress this gay earth :suicide:

:suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

Baloogan posted:

not til you move back at least

• Locked thread