Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ibbz
Dec 21, 2005
First you get the sugar, then you get the power, then you get the women
For those interested, one of the Circle of Eight developers has released a beta of a total conversion for IWD into ToEE - it's only the first chapter currently, but it's looking good:

http://www.co8.org/community/index.php?threads/icewind-dale-toee-total-conversion-open-beta.12019/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012

Sanzuo posted:

Hi everyone. Playing BG:EE on a solo run and gotten further than I've ever gotten before. Playing a Half-Orc Assassin and most of the game has been a breeze so far on core rules.

But now I'm at the finale with Sarevok and the greater dopplegangers. I'm not sure how to get through this part since if I do my usual evade-backstab, the dopplegangers kill the duke guy and it's game over. I'm not tough enough for a stand up fight it seems.

I've been doing a lot of reloading and with the right RNG i might succeed, but I'd rather use a more legitimate strategy than save-scumming.

Any advice?

Your best bet will probably be to buff with as many potions as you can, like a potion of defence, oil of speed, potion of power, the highest giant strength potion you've got (24 strength is ideal here, but 23 will do), and if you have it, draw upon holy might. Just attack normally, unless you have a big stack of invisibility potions, (ideally a dozen or more, although you might want to save a few for the final boss fight against Sarevok and co.) if thats the case then backstab away. You'll be hard to hit, and you'll attack twice per round for huge damage. Hopefully, that will be enough, you can't really do much else as a solo assassin for this fight.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Sanzuo posted:

Hi everyone. Playing BG:EE on a solo run and gotten further than I've ever gotten before. Playing a Half-Orc Assassin and most of the game has been a breeze so far on core rules.

But now I'm at the finale with Sarevok and the greater dopplegangers. I'm not sure how to get through this part since if I do my usual evade-backstab, the dopplegangers kill the duke guy and it's game over. I'm not tough enough for a stand up fight it seems.

I've been doing a lot of reloading and with the right RNG i might succeed, but I'd rather use a more legitimate strategy than save-scumming.

Any advice?
traps? can you do traps? Seems like you're going to be hosed for the actual finale if you can't do this fight tbh

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
The final fight won't require him to prevent 2 unbuffed bozos from getting chunked by hasted greater doppelgangers. Traps aren't going to be terribly useful since you can't even draw aggro away from the dukes IIRC.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Sanzuo posted:

Won't let me use it!

Maybe buff your ranged accuracy and try to use arrows of dispelling to get rid of their buffs and then darts of stunning to keep them locked down?

Edit: you could also try using the Sandthief's ring you get in the DLC to try and turn them invisible before the dopplegangers chunk them?

Entropy238 fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Jan 3, 2017

Sanzuo
May 7, 2007

biscuits and crazy posted:

Your best bet will probably be to buff with as many potions as you can, like a potion of defence, oil of speed, potion of power, the highest giant strength potion you've got (24 strength is ideal here, but 23 will do), and if you have it, draw upon holy might. Just attack normally, unless you have a big stack of invisibility potions, (ideally a dozen or more, although you might want to save a few for the final boss fight against Sarevok and co.) if thats the case then backstab away. You'll be hard to hit, and you'll attack twice per round for huge damage. Hopefully, that will be enough, you can't really do much else as a solo assassin for this fight.
Thanks for the advice. Confirming that this strategy is helpful. It actually worked better to go heavy as it were, buff the poo poo out of myself and swing away. I was making it too complicated. I actually restarted as a fighter/thief and have two loadouts for if I want to sneak and backstab or if I want to tank and spank.

Don't even know if this character is viable in BG II:EE where wizards seem to rule.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
There are stronger solos, but a fighter/thief still obliterates BG2.

Sanzuo
May 7, 2007

Suspicious posted:

There are stronger solos, but a fighter/thief still obliterates BG2.

Is it cheating to console yourself a bag of holding

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Depends on whether you consider limited inventory space one of the difficulties involved in a solo run

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Sanzuo posted:

I always do it just for convenience. It's almost a necessity for solo characters.

Whether it's cheating depends on how much equipment you hoover up. It will give you a lot of surplus cash in Baldur's Gate. Matters much less in BG2, where the player will end up with too much cash anyways.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Sanzuo posted:

Depends on the run imo.

If it's any sort of "challenge" run e.g. solo or some other restriction, I'd say yes for purity sake.

If it's just a normal playthrough then I wouldn't worry about it. Inventory management/the UI in these games is a loving nightmare and one of the things that holds up the least in comparison to modern games.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Entropy238 posted:

If it's just a normal playthrough then I wouldn't worry about it. Inventory management/the UI in these games is a loving nightmare and one of the things that holds up the least in comparison to modern games.
That's not entirely fair.
Modern RPGs still have atrocious inventory management.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
I used to cheat in a bag of holding but stopped a few years ago when I realized if you pick up only the valuable stuff you don't need that much space.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Wizard Styles posted:

That's not entirely fair.
Modern RPGs still have atrocious inventory management.

Even BG isn't that bad compared to some modern games.

I actually cannot imagine being one of the poor people that has to play the Elder Scrolls/Fallout on a console. The UI/Inventory management is an abomination.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Any game with a discovery-based crafting system and lots of junk items. :suicide:

They aren't new anymore, but dear god Divinity:OS and Dungeons of Dredmor are bad for this.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Fruits of the sea posted:

Any game with a discovery-based crafting system and lots of junk items. :suicide:

They aren't new anymore, but dear god Divinity:OS and Dungeons of Dredmor are bad for this.

As far as UIs go I thought Pillars of Eternity hit the mark quite well on this. The only problems with Pillars' UI imo was that it was hard to sell junk in batches and because the game was based on Unity it would completely poo poo the bed and get sluggish when you were dealing with lots and lots of items.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Yeah, Pillars' UI is pretty good. It still needs better sorting and selling in batches, but it's good.
Of course, Pillars also floods your inventory with tons of basic equipment, various foods, loads of other assorted consumables, some junk that's only good for selling and too many different crafting materials, so it's hard to keep track of all the stuff you've got regardless. :v:

Suspicious posted:

I used to cheat in a bag of holding but stopped a few years ago when I realized if you pick up only the valuable stuff you don't need that much space.
Yeah, inventory space per se has never really been a problem for me.
But with a bag of holding you can just have whoever identifies poo poo dump all the stuff you won't use into it and forget about inventory organization, encumbrance or anything like that.
So, you know, might as well.

Entropy238 posted:

I actually cannot imagine being one of the poor people that has to play the Elder Scrolls/Fallout on a console. The UI/Inventory management is an abomination.
I bought Skyrim for the PS3, thinking that, while the PC version would eventually be much better due to mods, I probably wouldn't still be playing the game once the good mods were released.
So why not get the console version?

The horrors I have seen.

Wizard Styles fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Jan 4, 2017

Sanzuo
May 7, 2007

Suspicious posted:

I wouldn't have as much of an issue if quest items didn't take up inventory space. As is on a solo run you really have to cherry pick which items to pick up, and making the trip to Watcher's Keep for the potion bag as soon as possible.

Sanzuo
May 7, 2007

Here's a bizarre bug I haven't seen before. Since I started this solo run my character has been spamming what looks like dialogue from the Aerie romance. This started happening the the starting dungeon even before I went to the circus.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Sanzuo posted:

Here's a bizarre bug I haven't seen before. Since I started this solo run my character has been spamming what looks like dialogue from the Aerie romance. This started happening the the starting dungeon even before I went to the circus.

Looks like your character's subtitles are referring to the wrong entries in your .tlk file. This is pretty likely to affect a bunch of stuff, not just this. Usually caused by installing mods wrong (or badly made mods).

Sanzuo
May 7, 2007

Mzbundifund posted:

Looks like your character's subtitles are referring to the wrong entries in your .tlk file. This is pretty likely to affect a bunch of stuff, not just this. Usually caused by installing mods wrong (or badly made mods).

I don't think I have any mods installed. Maybe an integrity check on steam will help?

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
I had the same issue. You imported from BG1:EE? You likely chose a sound set that isn't in BG2:EE. Pick a new one in the Record screen -> Customize -> Sounds.

Sanzuo
May 7, 2007

Suspicious posted:

I had the same issue. You imported from BG1:EE? You likely chose a sound set that isn't in BG2:EE. Pick a new one in the Record screen -> Customize -> Sounds.

I think that did the trick. Thanks!

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Charname is just lonely and wants a friend :smithcloud:

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Suspicious posted:

I'm glad that you remembered this. Someone in the Ironman thread had the same problem. I recognized that I had seen Sanzuo's problem before, but for the life of me I couldn't remember the solution.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I'm playing Arcanum for the first time in about ten to fifteen years at the moment (no spoilers pls) and it still holds up really, really well. The similarities between it and Morrowind which was released a year later are very plain to see – how the spells give the player extra freedom to interact with the game world, laissez-faire approach to the main quest, unlevelled world, goofy/intricate mechanics that are engaging and easily exploitable, even how Shrouded Hills -> Tarant mirrors Seyda Need -> Balmora.

It's a really charming game that holds up super well and I'd definitely recommend it to anyone in this thread. I'm using the Steam version on Windows 10 and there was a little bit of jiggery-pokery required to get it to work properly (https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=755396888) and you'll want to get the Unofficial Patch, the High Res Patch, the High res Townmaps and the level uncapper.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Arcanum is my favorite game that I have played the least. I never make it too far before restartitis sets in.

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008
I recently played through BGEE and SOD and maybe I missed something but is it true that up until the very end of SOD Greywolf's sword is the all around best long sword in the game?

I have no bad feelings about using EEKeeper to give myself as much of my old gear after importing to BG2 as possible. What is everyone's opinion on Dorn's sword vs Spider's Bane? Should I even bother using either? I know the talking one can be gotten pretty early.

Also gently caress these ugly amnish shield designs, I'm keeping mine.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

BiggestOrangeTree posted:

I recently played through BGEE and SOD and maybe I missed something but is it true that up until the very end of SOD Greywolf's sword is the all around best long sword in the game?

I have no bad feelings about using EEKeeper to give myself as much of my old gear after importing to BG2 as possible. What is everyone's opinion on Dorn's sword vs Spider's Bane? Should I even bother using either? I know the talking one can be gotten pretty early.

Also gently caress these ugly amnish shield designs, I'm keeping mine.

You find really good poo poo really quickly that is much more powerful than anything you find in BG1. Especially if you gently caress around in town doing side quests for a long time before heading into the wilderness, and then go to trademeet first. (highly recommended to do all sidequests before advancing the plot imo) About the only thing that is really good that you don't get is Drizzits gear but I don't think that survives the import at all but I can't totally remember. The helm of balduran will come across tho.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Importing Drizzt's gear doesn't cause it to appear in the starting dungeon. However, it does unlock a special opportunity for you to reclaim it later on.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Wow, whoever wrote Arcanum's main story did it really really well. So far I've been to Tarant, Dernholme, Ashbury, Black Mountain Mines and the Isle of Despair:

– The way they've dealt with race in this game is done very well/in alignment with the Victorian worldview of things. I like the fact that the elves are apparently prissy about not being the oldest race on the block and I'm assuming this'll probably feed in to the main plot eventually. I haven't met the normal elves yet though, only Dark ones.
Gilbert Bates is a son of a bitch and I'll probably kill him if I get a chance too. The fact that he didn't actually invent the steam engine but stole it from the dwarves is reminiscent of a lot of industrial espionage that went on back in the Victorian days (many first world nations nowadays got to where they were by not recognising foreign intellectual property rights till quite late – see America, Britain, Korea etc ...), and his desire to suppress unions ("You're not a union sympathiser are you"?) and his "these people are lucky to have their jobs" attitude is quite typical. He got to where he's at by effectively cheating and he's happy to stamp over anyone else to consolidate his position.
– The Isle of Despair seems to be a parallel for Australia.
– The tale of Tarant and Dernholme is pretty cool too.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Entropy238 posted:

Gilbert Bates is a son of a bitch and I'll probably kill him if I get a chance too.

I see you failed to do your duty and assassinate him in the name of orcish liberation.

Sanzuo
May 7, 2007

I liked a lot of things about Arcanum but it is now unplayable on my system. I tried installing the unofficial and widescreen patches but the whole game appears as glitchy garbage.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Entropy238 posted:

Wow, whoever wrote Arcanum's main story did it really really well. So far I've been to Tarant, Dernholme, Ashbury, Black Mountain Mines and the Isle of Despair:

Out of curiosity, what's your build? The Black Mines is where a lot of first-time players tend to give up because they realise that all the speech skills in the world won't work against rock monsters.

Lemon-Lime posted:

I see you failed to do your duty and assassinate him in the name of orcish liberation.

Arcanum is a wonderful game.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

The key to Arcanum is to switch freely between real-time and turn-based depending on what you're fighting.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Samuel Clemens posted:

Out of curiosity, what's your build? The Black Mines is where a lot of first-time players tend to give up because they realise that all the speech skills in the world won't work against rock monsters.

Went for a high willpower, charisma and intelligence mage with maxed Necromantic Black, Temporal, Mental, Conveyance and 4 points in Air (for Body of Air) and 3 points in fire (Agility of Fire, Fireflash) and 1 in earth (Strength spell). Fatigue was a major issue until I got the money together to get some Mage Staffs which I now cycle through for mana between rests. I didn't want to go for force because I didn't know if disintegrate was going to destroy anything I needed.

A lot of old forum posts circa 2002-2003 seem to recommend Dexterity for mages but between all of the speed items you can get, Agility of Fire, Tempus Fugit and Haste I can easily buff myself up to speed of around 70 when I actually need it so I'd rather focus on being a charming smarty-pants.

I've been using Sogg, Chukku, Puppers, Magnus (with 2x strength spell) + Vergil for heals and quick weapons, though I generally prefer to try and kill things myself for the extra XP. I learned quickly that follower AI is not very sophisticated so I figured it's best to just have them hit stuff a lot/act as packmules.

Money has not been an issue now for some time since I can rob shop-keepers blind with spells (Magelock, Stun, Mental Domination, Teleport, Open Locks etc ...) and sell their stuff back to them. Scrolls from magic shops are great for this.

For the rock golem dudes I used the Body of Air spell and tanked them while my other guys wailed on them. It's been my go to spell for when I get caught with my trousers down and since I'm not meleeing anyway there's no drawback to using it.

I really love the magic/skill/tech systems in this game. It's like they took the guy that designed the systems in Morrowind and just reigned the insanity back a little so everything feels a little bit more focused while still preserving all of the freedom.

I've just gotten to T'sen-ang now. If anyone's got any recommendations for places I should visit/things I should do let me know.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Necromage is Arcanum's easy mode, so I'm not surprised you're having a relaxing time. Good to see you're enjoying the game, though. I definitely recommend visiting Blackroot at some point if you haven't done so already.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Arcanum always saddens me because of how gunslinging is so much weaker then almost every other option.

Really, balance in Arcanum is just all over the loving place period. Harm is the most powerful ability in the game so long as you can click fast enough. A low level tech sword is the best melee weapon for like 90% of the game because of how speed and strength works. You can craft most of the best tech stuff in the game without ever putting a single point in knowing how to craft things - and indeed, outside of some super low level items like charged rings and balanced swords, tech actually often gets WORSE the higher up you go. Half the recruitable NPCs are essentially blank and have no personality whatsoever - and companion AI is borderline nonfunctional. Magic is grossly more powerful then everything else. Etc, etc, etc.

There's a lot of good in that game, but everything that interacts with the mechanics are just fuuuuuuuuuuuucked.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

My favourite bit of mechanical trivia about Arcanum is that the strongest melee weapon outside of the final dungeon can be looted of one of the pit fighters on the Isle of Despair and is simply called "Sword".

Regarding technology vs. magic, the former definitely takes longer to get going unless you're doing tech-melee, but just about any build ends up very powerful by the end. My biggest gripe with tech-characters is that the randomised shop inventories mean you sometimes have to spend a lot of time just refreshing the stores until you get a particular schematic or crafting component.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Samuel Clemens posted:

My favourite bit of mechanical trivia about Arcanum is that the strongest melee weapon outside of the final dungeon can be looted of one of the pit fighters on the Isle of Despair and is simply called "Sword".

Regarding technology vs. magic, the former definitely takes longer to get going unless you're doing tech-melee, but just about any build ends up very powerful by the end. My biggest gripe with tech-characters is that the randomised shop inventories mean you sometimes have to spend a lot of time just refreshing the stores until you get a particular schematic or crafting component.

IIRC there are a bunch of balance mods that either reduce the power of magic or raise the power of guns or both.