Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Captain Baal posted:

Koromaru is brought into the game to be nothing other than a dog and even for video game and anime dogs he sucks.

You are dead to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Captain Baal posted:

I don't even remember Yuko's slink outside of the other dude in the tracksuit showing up a lot

The dude who's not the star slink

we could have the girl from the shrine instead of junpei and there could be joke scenes with ken being awkward around a girl actually his age instead of 18 year olds

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So I would definitely say I liked Strange Journey. However, to be blunt, it is more of a lukewarm like. Kinda like one of those TV shows you'll watch if it's on TV but you'd never buy the DVD's for it.

But holy poo poo, two days of playing Nocturne and I am addicted. There's just so much happening in this game. So many mysterious figures and subplots and now my friend just decided she wants to take over the world. Like, I haven't seen Chiaki in god knows how many levels and hours and then bam, there she is, talking about making an ideal world where those she doesn't like get to be purged. What a bitch but talk about out of nowhere.

Speaking of coming out of nowhere, while I'm sure a lot more will happen, I still think the Matador boss fight will probably end up being one of my favorite moments of the whole game. Due in no small part to this loving intense song but I also just really appreciate how "mundane" everything was but then I get sucked into a hell world and have to fight this crazy motherfucker. Taught me about playing the game better, too.

And now he's on my team.

I love this game.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Jan 7, 2017

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I tried to play Nocturne but I ended up catching a demon, grinding to get its skills and then fusing it to another trash demon until I ended up like 10+ levels ahead of the curve.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Tired Moritz posted:

I tried to play Nocturne but I ended up catching a demon, grinding to get its skills and then fusing it to another trash demon until I ended up like 10+ levels ahead of the curve.

I always end up ahead of the curve I think, it just changes the nature of the game's challenge from "can I beat this" to "how big can I make my Demifiend's damage numbers go".

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So a poster on here suggested I pick either a Magic or Physical-focused Demifiend and stick with it all game.. I went with Mage because I love magic. I'm about Level 37 or so and have dumped all my points into Magic and then some Agility and then Vitality. I've done nothing with Strength or Luck.

Yet someone is telling me now I should switch to physical because all the best Magatama for it are in the second half of the game. I'm not in the second half of the game yet obviously, this was just a forewarning intended to help me save myself.

Does magic become less useful later on? Or is it "route-dependent"?

quote:

Also, if you plan to go down one specific ending, you'll want to switch your focus from Magic to Physical since Magatama with Physical skills come later. The only skill that appears early on for physical builds is Focus; KEEP IT IF YOU WANT TO SWITCH FROM MAGIC TO PHYSICAL. I apologize for the all-caps but I really needed to emphasize that.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Magic is just less useful than Physical in general. You get better Physical things way, way earlier, all of the best skills for the Demifiend key off Strength or augment it far better than any Magic build could compare to and regardless of route later on Magic just has a harder time keeping up with Physical stuff because Physical gets Pierce and can bypass Phys AND Almighty resistance. Magic can't do that with anything.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
One of Demifiend's ultimate attacks is physically based, but you'll be fine with a magical Demifiend. Just focus on those buff/debuff spells. I wouldn't sweat it for a first time through, but if you want to beat the hard ending, you'll want to be physical. (If you recruit Dante from the Devil May Cry series, IIRC he has his own Pierce.)

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

NikkolasKing posted:

So I would definitely say I liked Strange Journey. However, to be blunt, it is more of a lukewarm like. Kinda like one of those TV shows you'll watch if it's on TV but you'd never buy the DVD's for it.

SJ is a game that is mostly only interesting conceptually. I mean that the story concept itself is extremely interesting, but the SMT gameplay is pretty standard for the series.

StandardVC10 posted:

You are dead to me.

I didn't think anything could tear us apart worse than waifu-chat, but here comes doggo-chat to prove me wrong.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Bogart posted:

One of Demifiend's ultimate attacks is physically based, but you'll be fine with a magical Demifiend. Just focus on those buff/debuff spells. I wouldn't sweat it for a first time through, but if you want to beat the hard ending, you'll want to be physical. (If you recruit Dante from the Devil May Cry series, IIRC he has his own Pierce.)

Dante does not have Pierce unfortunately, making him pretty useless for the final boss

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Raidou gets Pierce if you're playing Maniax Chronicle, which is a big part of why Raidou is just flatout better.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Magic is fine unless you're doing the true demon end, then I'd honestly suggest restarting unless you wanna play heal bot in the last fight.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
Another thing is that the Demi Fiend gets unique phys skills that look rad.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Also he's ~canonically~ phys based

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Dragonatrix posted:

Raidou gets Pierce if you're playing Maniax Chronicle, which is a big part of why Raidou is just flatout better.

And he's Raidou and not Dante which puts him way up imo.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The fact they didn't give Dante a pierce knowing peoole were gonna use him is still like one of the most ridiculous decisions, like why did it take you another revision to fix that? Did they just design Dante before the Lucifer boss for that version?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Thanks for the advice everyone. I'm not really aiming for any ending. I want to make my choices and let chips fall where they may. Don't like spoilers much.

However I have been warned the "Bad Ending' is very easy to stumble into. This is no ME2 where you have to aim for it and be determinedly lovely. So I dunno if I should accept spoilers if only to dodge that potential outcome....

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Idk what that means because it's honestly pretty easy to not do that even accidentally. Like I'm pretty sure to hit the actual bad end you need to specifically aim for it.

I don't even remember if there is an actual bad end and someone just told you one of the endings is bad.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
I think they just mean the ending where you don't get to fight the final boss.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Man I really don't remember much about that stuff I guess.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Yeah the only way to even possibly qualify for the bad ending is if you refuse to go with any of the alignments, and then answer wrong when given a yes/no question

However even if you find yourself in a situation where that is the case you could just finish the labyrinth of amala to get the true demon ending as long as you haven't entered the final dungeon yet. So its actually pretty hard to get the bad ending as long as you're not trying to get it.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Saagonsa posted:

Yeah the only way to even possibly qualify for the bad ending is if you refuse to go with any of the alignments, and then answer wrong when given a yes/no question

However even if you find yourself in a situation where that is the case you could just finish the labyrinth of amala to get the true demon ending as long as you haven't entered the final dungeon yet. So its actually pretty hard to get the bad ending as long as you're not trying to get it.

Well I am doing the Labyrinth as often as possible. I just finished the Second Kalpa and met the Knights. Once I get the next set of Candelabra so I can properly gain access to the Third Kalpa I'll be all over that. Same for fourth and I guess there's maybe a fifth? There are five doors.

Apart from the awesome loot, EXP and Macca, I get lore from the Lady in Black so I definitely have to do it.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
Doesn't Pierce affect all attack types, not just Physical? Or am I wrong about this
It is on a handful of normal demons (not Dante) though

Argent Cinereus
Feb 25, 2013

Item Getter posted:

Doesn't Pierce affect all attack types, not just Physical? Or am I wrong about this
It is on a handful of normal demons (not Dante) though

Just physical. That includes Almighty physicals, too, though, so if you got say Surt with it, I think their normal attack would ignore fire resistances. And I think one of the demon sellers in the labyrinth sells a demon with pierce you can use for fusion.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Argent Cinereus posted:

Just physical. That includes Almighty physicals, too, though, so if you got say Surt with it, I think their normal attack would ignore fire resistances. And I think one of the demon sellers in the labyrinth sells a demon with pierce you can use for fusion.

Yeah, the Surt thing works. Literally the only source of Pierce is the demon seller in the labyrinth so you should definitely buy it and fuse it into a Mitama or something to easily spread it around if you are going to do the True Demon Ending.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So I just completed the Obelisk in Nocturne. I thought it was a kind of lame dungeon to be honest but from what I hear, it marks the turning point in the game. Now things I say and do will actually matter towards my ending.

To be frank, I felt with a bit more focus and direction, this might be one of the best JRPGs I ever played. So the fact it looks like I'm getting exactly that makes me very happy.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

NikkolasKing posted:

So I just completed the Obelisk in Nocturne. I thought it was a kind of lame dungeon to be honest but from what I hear, it marks the turning point in the game. Now things I say and do will actually matter towards my ending.

To be frank, I felt with a bit more focus and direction, this might be one of the best JRPGs I ever played. So the fact it looks like I'm getting exactly that makes me very happy.

Nocturne is a rad game, yes. It'll also push your poo poo constantly if you become a lazy-rear end.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

No it won't.

Dark Might abuse alone mostly trivializes boss encounters.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Nocturne is really not as tough as people say it is. Like the most difficult enemies are the Candelabra Skelemans and even they are mostly gimmicks that take some figuring out or are just slightly more difficult bosses for the sections they're put in.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

And if you're having a ton trouble with them, and aren't gunning for TDE, you can skip all except Matador so you can just put 'em off until later if you really want.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I myself did get lazy and complacent, beating everything with Tornado spam. So Red Rider kicked my rear end a lot. Then I finally realized the Powers he summons are just worthless mooks, not special at all. I also have this handy-dandy ability called Mana Drain which, well, drains mana. Once those assholes are empty, they just waste their turns or use weaksauce physical attacks and with no buffs, Rider's attacks are nothing.

As I said, took me too long to figure this out but I still did and he went down in a couple hits when I did so. 4 Tarukaja + Focus + Guillotine = my Yaksini doing about 2000 damage. She destroyed Dante in a similar way as I had just gotten Sukukaja Guillotine had lovely accuracy but that isn't so much of a problem anymore.

Honestly, the constantly juggling Magatama skills thing makes me really nervous.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jan 9, 2017

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
my copy of strange journey is just lying around and i want to finish it

you guys got any grinding advise?

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Yeah, just play through casually. You don't need to grind at all, ever.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Buy a bunch of good monsters with one of the password codes. It'll take money grinding, but hey, easier to get Alice with Luster Candy / Drain / Jihad and then not worry about the rest.

I AM THE TOILET
Jul 11, 2016
I'm playing Persona 2: Eternal Punishment for no other reason I closed my eyes and picked one of these games to play. I snagged a ton of them off of a big digital sale last year and now I finally have the PS3 to play them.

Is there any reason to never NOT attack with your persona spells? And to that end, is there any reason NOT to just dump all my level up points into raising spell damage and spell defense, with an occasional point into physical defense and vitality? Is there going to be a point in this game where I can't use my personas and and I'm going to be up against super tough enemies and the lesson learned will be "yep, shoulda put a couple points into physical damage?"

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

I AM THE TOILET posted:

I'm playing Persona 2: Eternal Punishment for no other reason I closed my eyes and picked one of these games to play. I snagged a ton of them off of a big digital sale last year and now I finally have the PS3 to play them.

Is there any reason to never NOT attack with your persona spells? And to that end, is there any reason NOT to just dump all my level up points into raising spell damage and spell defense, with an occasional point into physical defense and vitality? Is there going to be a point in this game where I can't use my personas and and I'm going to be up against super tough enemies and the lesson learned will be "yep, shoulda put a couple points into physical damage?"

Nope, keep Persona casting away.

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

Captain Baal posted:

Nocturne is really not as tough as people say it is. Like the most difficult enemies are the Candelabra Skelemans and even they are mostly gimmicks that take some figuring out or are just slightly more difficult bosses for the sections they're put in.

The people saying that are comparing it to other JRPGs, and yes Nocturne is absolutely much, much harder than FF or Tales or whatever.

Battles actually take tactical thought, resource management, and planning skills, etc. Most games don't need much of that to blunder through.

thorsilver fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jan 9, 2017

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

NikkolasKing posted:

Honestly, the constantly juggling Magatama skills thing makes me really nervous.

Just saw this edit, and for what it's worth it's really not that big a deal. If you're worried about missing one, don't be; you can get every skill from every Mitama, without actively following a guide to do it. You can't regain skills you give up, but considering the vast majority of skills you'll get are direct upgrades to earlier ones anyway, there's only a handful of skills available relatively early that this is a big deal for (Focus being the most obvious).

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Tell that to the myriad of SMTs I face rolled because random encounters and boss fights in those games are not any more complex than typical JRPG bosses. These games are just willing to punish you more for screwing up in certain places and the games people have actually played (Persona 3, 4, and soon to be 5) are honestly easier than even Final Fantasy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Captain Baal posted:

Tell that to the myriad of SMTs I face rolled because random encounters and boss fights in those games are not any more complex than typical JRPG bosses. These games are just willing to punish you more for screwing up in certain places and the games people have actually played (Persona 3, 4, and soon to be 5) are honestly easier than even Final Fantasy.

Man, I wouldn't go that far. SMT, if you now what you're doing, is pretty drat easy but generally only if you know what you're doing. (Which, if you play a lot of SMT games, you get the pick up for pretty quick.) It's more than SMT has enough shared knoweldge that knowing how to break one game at least makes it fairly likely you can carry that knowledge on to another game.