Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?
Guided tour anyone?

https://vimeo.com/198190075

Roof trusses going on:

https://vimeo.com/198192027

Gounads fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Jan 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?
Builder called up suggesting we go with a wider porch, so we're doing that. It was only 4'

Loan check cleared, and now I'm actually current with the builder.

All interior walls are now framed.

Getting shingled Tuesday.

I'm away next week, so hopefully no major decisions need making.

We re-arranged layout of upstairs bathroom. Plans had the tub against the window, which is stupid if you want a shower.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Gounads posted:

Builder called up suggesting we go with a wider porch, so we're doing that. It was only 4'

Loan check cleared, and now I'm actually current with the builder.

All interior walls are now framed.

Getting shingled Tuesday.

I'm away next week, so hopefully no major decisions need making.

We re-arranged layout of upstairs bathroom. Plans had the tub against the window, which is stupid if you want a shower.

The left door leads to the master bedroom?

I'm trying to picture this against the video walkthrough, which was neat, btw.

xwing
Jul 2, 2007
red leader standing by

Gounads posted:

Not really. Your tub is a large drain and it's nicer to have it on the exterior if possible. Being able to place all your plumbing as close as possible to the exterior is great for clearing clogs and venting. If your roof leaks it's going to be around a penetration like a vent and a leaking eave is a lot nicer than over a bedroom. That and putting your largest moisture producer (vapor producer) near the exterior and a window is best in case the exhaust fan doesn't work. The exhaust fan not a "fart fan" and is primarily about exhausting moisture. It can work any way you want, but having a tub/shower on the exterior near a window is not stupid by any means.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Thanks for the video tour! That was excellent!

I think you'll absolutely love that studio space and office space, great choices placing those where you did. Especially with those skylights in the studio, I predict you guys will be spending a lot of time in there. I'm a big fan of having your own space to pursue your interests and personal development, and having a good space is half the battle.

Just a thought on the studio space, have you considered additional hvac capacity for the space? Being above the garage, it won't stay conditioned like the rest of the house, so you'll probably want a dedicated heat source and maybe something like a mini-split for AC. Just something you can turn on while you're using the space so it's not always sucking down energy.

Where is the laundry going again? Is that going to be on the second floor? If not, are you going to have a chute to drop clothes to the laundry room? If it is on the second floor, are you going to have a floor drain in case of emergency? Sorry if this is a repeat question, I feel like it may have been answered earlier in the thread.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?

TheMadMilkman posted:

The left door leads to the master bedroom?

I'm trying to picture this against the video walkthrough, which was neat, btw.

My kids bedroom left and my office right. It's the jack & jill bathroom.

xwing posted:

Not really. Your tub is a large drain and it's nicer to have it on the exterior if possible. Being able to place all your plumbing as close as possible to the exterior is great for clearing clogs and venting. If your roof leaks it's going to be around a penetration like a vent and a leaking eave is a lot nicer than over a bedroom. That and putting your largest moisture producer (vapor producer) near the exterior and a window is best in case the exhaust fan doesn't work. The exhaust fan not a "fart fan" and is primarily about exhausting moisture. It can work any way you want, but having a tub/shower on the exterior near a window is not stupid by any means.

All good points. Counterpoint: my neighbors seeing my hairy rear end when I shower.

OSU_Matthew posted:

Thanks for the video tour! That was excellent!

I think you'll absolutely love that studio space and office space, great choices placing those where you did. Especially with those skylights in the studio, I predict you guys will be spending a lot of time in there. I'm a big fan of having your own space to pursue your interests and personal development, and having a good space is half the battle.

Just a thought on the studio space, have you considered additional hvac capacity for the space? Being above the garage, it won't stay conditioned like the rest of the house, so you'll probably want a dedicated heat source and maybe something like a mini-split for AC. Just something you can turn on while you're using the space so it's not always sucking down energy.

I've asked the builder about that and he says the systems we're getting are a bit oversized and it shouldn't be a problem.

Studio is really for the wife. I get office + one of the garage bays for a workshop.

quote:

Where is the laundry going again? Is that going to be on the second floor? If not, are you going to have a chute to drop clothes to the laundry room? If it is on the second floor, are you going to have a floor drain in case of emergency? Sorry if this is a repeat question, I feel like it may have been answered earlier in the thread.

First floor, I'll think about the chute. Could probably go in the master closet straight into the laundry.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

OSU_Matthew posted:

It's not just washers that hum a little tune--in Tapei they have musical garbage trucks

/derail

In Vietnam all big trucks play a tune while backing up. I swear that the majority of songs I heard were Christmas songs, in a country that is only about 8% Christian.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
That is super smart because Studies Show™ that people tune out constant tones/intermittent tones.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Gounads posted:

All good points. Counterpoint: my neighbors seeing my hairy rear end when I shower.

Counter-counterpoint: that's what frosted glass and/or a higher window is for. But ultimately it's your house and you need to make decisions that you're comfortable with.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Gounads posted:

My kids bedroom left and my office right. It's the jack & jill bathroom.

I've asked the builder about that and he says the systems we're getting are a bit oversized and it shouldn't be a problem.

Studio is really for the wife. I get office + one of the garage bays for a workshop.

First floor, I'll think about the chute. Could probably go in the master closet straight into the laundry.

Good to know! Since you guys have modern insulation and building techniques, it may not be as extreme of a temperature difference as it was in my parents house (which was built in the late eighties). It's just nice to have something extra in there since the garage isn't a conditioned space, and since you're directly underneath the roof it takes a lot to stay cooler in the summertime, etc. That way you don't have to crank your entire house one way or the other to compensate for one detached space.

You should definitely go for the laundry chute while it's still easy to frame that in and nobody has used the cavity for plumbing or electrical.

xwing
Jul 2, 2007
red leader standing by

Magnus Praeda posted:

Counter-counterpoint: that's what frosted glass and/or a higher window is for. But ultimately it's your house and you need to make decisions that you're comfortable with.

This... I understand not wanting the neighbors to see the angle of your dangle or how much werewolf blood you have in you, but a window with a 4' sill means you can smile and wave at your perv neighbors without giving them a show.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
The shower/tub in my apartment has a window in it, but it's about shoulder-height on me and made of thick frosted glass so you can't see anything through it. The problem is, there's about three feet of space between the exterior wall of my bathroom, and the exterior wall of the neighbor's bathroom, and he has a window at the same height and placement. Like you could reach out and hold the neighbor's hand and sing showtunes while each of you were in your respective showers if you were so inclined.

I have no idea who decided this was a good idea. Probably has something to do with the fact that this building is ancient and there are no fans in any of the bathrooms so they had to put windows in somewhere. Still, you think they would at least stagger them a bit, or something.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Bees on Wheat posted:

you could reach out and hold the neighbor's hand and sing showtunes while each of you were in your respective showers if you were so inclined.

This sounds fabulous.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

xwing posted:

This... I understand not wanting the neighbors to see the angle of your dangle or how much werewolf blood you have in you, but a window with a 4' sill means you can smile and wave at your perv neighbors without giving them a show.

Women taller than about 5 feet might have some concerns.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
At least in my own neighborhood, I have literally never seen anyone look through the bigass window my house has, at ground level and facing the street. I'm in a suburb but it's a moderately busy street. Hypothetical perverts with binoculars are I guess a separate issue, but I don't generally think that people care about looking in through your windows.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?

xwing posted:

That was the weird thing. It's a full sized window at normal window-height. The exterior would look weird with a smaller one since it's in a line with a few other windows across the front of the house. I'm even curious on whether it would have been legal. There must be some code to prevent slipping in your tub and doing a header through a window.

I'm traveling this week, looking forward to see a full week's worth of work done instead of the every-other day incremental progress.

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!
I think they just have to be tempered. The one above our soaking tub is tempered to prevent bleeding yourself out.

xwing
Jul 2, 2007
red leader standing by
At a normal height they wouldn't have to be tempered, but lower than that there are requirements. Those are for sidelites and such so if a kid knocks them out it's not a disaster. I can see why having a smaller window in the front facade wouldn't be desirable though. I've had clients adamant that they wanted a large window to see out of their tub... I guess they're more confident. :bigtran:

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Bees on Wheat posted:

you could reach out and hold the neighbor's hand and sing showtunes while each of you were in your respective showers if you were so inclined.

Post this on YouTube please.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?
The porch, shingles & skylights:

I'll get a better pic of the porch another time, but there was debris raining down from the roofers and not much room there.

The last couple interior walls are all up now.
The basement stairs are in
The bulkhead out of the basement and the concrete steps for it are in
Lots of little things that were mostly done are now actually done.

Builder tried to get permission to go boulder-wall instead of block-wall for the driveway. Couldn't get a yes or no answer from anyone at town hall, so we're just doing it. I think that should save enough money to pay for the deck.

I'm ordering the bookshelf door today!

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

That looks like a house!

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?
Went over and took a bunch of measurements so we can submit our Notice of Intent to the conservation board about putting in a lawn. Hopefully my hand-drawn schematic over the official survey will be enough and I don't need to spend a bunch of money on an engineer for it. Conservation guy was helpful enough to neither confirm nor deny that it should be enough so I get to walk into the meeting blind. Going nowhere near the 'do not disturb' zone, so it should be fine.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?
Forgot the pictures from today...

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

What are the siding/exterior options for new houses in your area? (Under a normal budget)

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?

peanut posted:

What are the siding/exterior options for new houses in your area? (Under a normal budget)

Vinyl
Hardiboard
Wood shingles (kind of rare these days)
If you get near the coast, unpainted cedar shingles, but they'd be out of place here.

Went with Vinyl since I don't want to paint.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

xwing posted:

It also means that unless you are loving meticulous with maintenance, you've got a perfect spot for water intrusion into that wall down the road, when you could instead have just tiled all the areas readily splashable.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?
Windows are all in.

Met with the electrician today to decide where lights/outlets/switches go.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I don't understand those little roofed bits under the eaves where they meet the soffits. Why not use a soffit birdbox? It looks less busy to me, and is less to maintain / probably more reliable at keeping water out.

Otherwise, looking good!

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I don't understand those little roofed bits under the eaves where they meet the soffits. Why not use a soffit birdbox? It looks less busy to me, and is less to maintain / probably more reliable at keeping water out.

Otherwise, looking good!

Me neither. It was on my list to cut. My wife liked them.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?
Here's something annoying... There are 3 different forms one could file for my whole conservation committee / lawn approval thing. One is a "Request for Determination", "Notice of Intent", or "Abbreviated notice of intent".

The instructions for the RDA start off with:

quote:

The Request for Determination of Applicability is a process which provides applicants with the option of
seeking a determination on the applicability of the Wetlands Protection Act (the Act) to a proposed site or
activity. Before filing this form to confirm the boundary delineation of a resource area, the applicant
should discuss other delineation review options with the Conservation Commission. The Commission
may require the submission of WPA Form 4A (Abbreviated Notice of Resource Area Delineation), WPA
Form 3 (Notice of Intent), or WPA Form 4 (Abbreviated Notice of Intent).

So great, I should contact them and see what I should file. Sounds great. So what do they say?

quote:

I really cannot advise you on what to file. You could file the Request for Determination and the Commission would then tell you if you needed to file a Notice of Intent. If you file the Request for Determination, this is the time they would advise you if you needed to file a Notice of Intent with MassDEP.

They can't even suggest which form for me to file until I do. wtf. Of course there are different fees, timeframes, and public notice requirements for all three, so I can't just file them all. It's like they want me to show up, ask permission, and keep trying until I get it right.

xwing
Jul 2, 2007
red leader standing by

Gounads posted:

It's like they want me to show up, ask permission, and keep trying until I get it right.

Yes. A good reason why local politics matter?

This is unfortunately not that unusual. Seems the logical course is the determination, if it's a no they'll tell you then. If it's a yes you have to do one of the others. If it's minor like you believe (not getting near an area of concern) then you get the abbreviated notice and it's rubber stamped.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?

xwing posted:

Yes. A good reason why local politics matter?

This is unfortunately not that unusual. Seems the logical course is the determination, if it's a no they'll tell you then. If it's a yes you have to do one of the others. If it's minor like you believe (not getting near an area of concern) then you get the abbreviated notice and it's rubber stamped.

Since writing that..

Figured out the abbreviated notice won't work since it's over 1000 sq ft.

Called my engineer to ask their opinion. They suggest the RDA and if it fails hire them to do the NOI. So that's what I'm doing. Just frustrating trying to navigate all this.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?
My Day:

Ask the town hall how many copies I need to file. Don't get an answer. Look up that there's 5 members, so I make one for each plus one.

Go to staples, make copies.

Go to town hall. I didn't make enough copies. Also, assessors office can't break a $50.

Go to staples, make more.

Go to town hall. Talk to different person. Since the board isn't currently full, I originally had the right number of copies. Also, assessors office can't break a $20 (luckily, we figured that one out).

If I'm boring you, tell me to post less.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Gounads posted:

My Day:

Ask the town hall how many copies I need to file. Don't get an answer. Look up that there's 5 members, so I make one for each plus one.

Go to staples, make copies.

Go to town hall. I didn't make enough copies. Also, assessors office can't break a $50.

Go to staples, make more.

Go to town hall. Talk to different person. Since the board isn't currently full, I originally had the right number of copies. Also, assessors office can't break a $20 (luckily, we figured that one out).

If I'm boring you, tell me to post less.

Nope, it's fascinating to watch local bureaucracy work.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Never don't post

Stryguy
Dec 29, 2004

Sleep tight my little demoman
College Slice
Chiming in to say that this is an intriguing thread, and thanks for taking the time to post everything.

I was considering building in the future, but this thread is making me think twice. I had no idea there would be so much pointless bureaucracy involved.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?

Stryguy posted:

Chiming in to say that this is an intriguing thread, and thanks for taking the time to post everything.

I was considering building in the future, but this thread is making me think twice. I had no idea there would be so much pointless bureaucracy involved.

If it makes you feel better, my builder says this is the worse town he's ever built in in regards to that.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

Stryguy posted:

Buying a house has all the same bureaucracy, but with the added bonus of not knowing what lurks beneath the drywall.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I still want to actually actually build my own house someday, like, draw up the plans, do the framing, etc. How else can you know that it's been done properly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
IT is not like this everywhere where I live as long as you follow clear guidelines and get permits you are cool (throw that out the window if it is wetlands or something)

• Locked thread