Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Wilhelm Scream posted:

Free on Vudu, it does have ads though and I haven't streamed through them so I can't say if it's good quality but hey, free.

Thanks for this. Nice to know there are some free options on Vudu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

ChickenMedium posted:

Encino Man holds up because it's not a Pauly Shore movie, he's just in it. Go down a Brendan Fraser or Sean Astin rabbit hole instead.

Brendan Fraser has had such a frustrating (for me) career. I liked The Mummy and he was great in Gods And Monsters and The Quiet American. Monkeybone , Bedazzled (Elizabeth Hurley :swoon:) and Blast From the Past were fun but everything else he has done has just been kinda bleh.

isaboo fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Jan 7, 2017

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Room 237 is fantastic if for no other reason than that by the third act of it I was like "He kinda has a point" and then he goes full retard.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

pahuyuth posted:

Brendan Fraser has had such a frustrating (for me) career. I liked The Mummy and he was great in Gods And Monsters and The Quiet American. Monkeybone , Bedazzled (Elizabeth Hurley :swoon:) and Blast From the Past were fun but everything else he has done has just been kinda bleh.

What was the indie movie set in like Ireland where he was the American shop owner love interest and there was a gangster sideplot thing going on?

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

A MIRACLE posted:

Encino Man is on Netflix and it's legit good. Holds up very well. I'm afraid I might be going down a Pauly Shore rabbit hole though
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bn6LQEXH8Ig
:stare:

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

lol, that youtube clip is heavily censored too.

and I think it's sped up a lot

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Field Mousepad posted:

Yeah Room 237 is great, I like the guy who starts rambling on about how the moon landing was faked and how the government audits him every year and keeps him under surveillance.

:tinfoil:

The moon landing interpretation had some of the best evidence :tinfoil: My favorite parts were really the analysis of the movie itself. I never noticed the impossible window or the kitchen weirdness. It made me realize how much attention to detail there is in the movie. What are some other good films-about-films? Because

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

I should have heeded he warnings - the ending to The OA is an absolute travesty. I never ever watched Glee but The OA's ending made me think "I must be watching the infamous Glee school shooting musical."

Filthy Hans fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Jan 7, 2017

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.
im watching Agents of SHIELD and it is painfully bad for the first like sixteen episodes, but once it hits the point of Captain America: Winter Soldier it gets pretty watchable

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Filthy Hans posted:

I should have heeded he warnings - the ending to The OA is an absolute travesty. I never ever watched Glee but The OA's ending made me think "I must be watching the infamous Glee school shooting musical."

The OA is bad all the way through. The 20 minutes or Russian stuff was the only part that was watchable to me. Some rear end in a top hat, likely :tinfoil: EMPLOYED BY NETFLIX :tinfoil: published a thinkpiece comparing it to Stranger Things so I sat through it expecting something at least passable. Nope. Avoid at all costs

Accident Underwater
Oct 21, 2005

You look like a star!

Edminster posted:

im watching Agents of SHIELD and it is painfully bad for the first like sixteen episodes, but once it hits the point of Captain America: Winter Soldier it gets pretty watchable

This is what everyone says, but Jesus Christ watching 12 hours of bad tv to get to decent tv sounds painful

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Accident Underwater posted:

This is what everyone says, but Jesus Christ watching 12 hours of bad tv to get to decent tv sounds painful

Self-imposed Stockholm Syndrome has always been the bane of TV heads. It's like how no reality show viewers claim to watch them authentically, it's just the human zoo aspect they enjoy. We acclimate to bad TV very easily because we've already accepted that GOOD tv shows are mostly mediocre exposition too, and that that's one of the appeals of the medium.

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

Accident Underwater posted:

i have crippling Depression and its a decent way to ignore the crushing weight of existence for a while

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Inspector Hound posted:

The moon landing interpretation had some of the best evidence :tinfoil: My favorite parts were really the analysis of the movie itself. I never noticed the impossible window or the kitchen weirdness. It made me realize how much attention to detail there is in the movie. What are some other good films-about-films? Because

Yeah they talked about a ton of little stuff I would have never noticed from just watching the movie. The patterns on the rugs, the cans in the kitchen etc. Kubrick is a goddamn genius.

Heart of Darkness is a good one, it's about the making of Apocalypse Now and was made by Francis Coppola. So much crazy poo poo happened during that movie.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Girlfriend and I watched The Magicians over the last few days and it is pretty fun. Someone else said that the first few episodes are kind of a drag and then it ramps up and I agree, even if I had fun comparing the show to Harry Potter a bunch at first. The last episode of the season is dope as poo poo.

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

It's not about butthole pleasures
Lipstick Apathy

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Girlfriend and I watched The Magicians over the last few days and it is pretty fun. Someone else said that the first few episodes are kind of a drag and then it ramps up and I agree, even if I had fun comparing the show to Harry Potter a bunch at first. The last episode of the season is dope as poo poo.

Did they include the weird rabbit loving?

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

fishtobaskets posted:

Did they include the weird rabbit loving?

I think you mean the weird fox loving, and yes, albeit briefly.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

coyo7e posted:

Hard Candy is up. Early Ellen Page, hard to watch because of the subject matter. I remember it being great, though.

I watched this on Friday night. I still don't know how to feel about it. It definitely affected me in...some...way?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

ChickenMedium posted:

Encino Man holds up because it's not a Pauly Shore movie, he's just in it. Go down a Brendan Fraser or Sean Astin rabbit hole instead.

It's weird that Pauly Shore's character is the only likeable character in the entire movie. There's some weird ideas of women in it, too: they talk about how Cavemen mostly would steal whatever women they want, Link then goes around acting like a mentally handicapped idiot, sexually harrassing women immediately, which causes them to swoon. Our main character acts like an rear end in a top hat the entire time, which the movie calls out, but rewards him anyway with a hot chick who has no reason to be interested in him. The movie also rewards Link's rape-appeal by giving him a wife.

I think Encino Man is bad, but I think we missed out on awesome potential of an insane series of a caveman trying to go through life--teenage-years, young-adulthood, college, adulthood--solving life problems by impressing people with idiocy.... Encino Man 4: Missing Link, where Link gets replaced by his Evil Twin during Spring Break; Encino Man 6: Jurassic Perks, where a sabretooth tiger is unfrozen and runs amock in California right before Link's marraige, only to be revealed that it's Link's long-lost pet; Encino Man 9: Law of the Land, where he's trying everything to make partner at his law firm while preparing for fatherhood;

Son-In-Law is pretty terrible. They forgot why Pauly Shore actually worked in Encino Man and just made him completely insufferable. I admit that I watched half before I gave up; not a movie to watch alone and sober.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I remember really liking In The Army Now as a kid.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I remember really liking In The Army Now as a kid.

Me too, but I remember like a LOT of terrible movies as a kid.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Paper Kaiju posted:

Me too, but I remember like a LOT of terrible movies as a kid.

yeah, point.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Rampage: President Down is a real bummer. It doesn't have any of the gleeful nihilistic charm of the first one, it's more of a dreary, uninspired sequel like #2 was. The main guy is too good an actor to waste on this franchise and everyone else in the cast acted so poorly they looked out of place in a loving Uwe Boll film.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Inspector Hound posted:

My favorite parts were really the analysis of the movie itself. I never noticed the impossible window or the kitchen weirdness. It made me realize how much attention to detail there is in the movie. What are some other good films-about-films? Because
I REALLY kind of like to imagine Kubrick looking at the office wall in the shot and just saying, "gently caress it put a window back there to help brighten up the room. NOBODY WILL NOTICE."

I realize nothing in Kubrick is just a throwaway thing in a shot, but I really love the notion that he saw that documentary, (was he alive when it came out?) and thought, "What? No! No! Calumet was just a loving baking soda product, it has nothing to do with indians but hey if that gets more rentals, then, yes, and btw you've only uncovered the tip of the iceberg."

Unspoilered because it doesn't really spoil anything, does it?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

magnificent7 posted:

I REALLY kind of like to imagine Kubrick looking at the office wall in the shot and just saying, "gently caress it put a window back there to help brighten up the room. NOBODY WILL NOTICE."

I realize nothing in Kubrick is just a throwaway thing in a shot, but I really love the notion that he saw that documentary, (was he alive when it came out?) and thought, "What? No! No! Calumet was just a loving baking soda product, it has nothing to do with indians but hey if that gets more rentals, then, yes, and btw you've only uncovered the tip of the iceberg."

Unspoilered because it doesn't really spoil anything, does it?

Would be pretty hard, since it came out 13 years after his death.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

The best part of Room 237 is when the moon landing guy goes on about the capital letters in the phrase "ROOM №", and how you can only spell two words with those letters - 'ROOM' and 'MOON'. I almost thought it was a joke that he missed the third word that can be spelled with those letters (MORON).

That movie is terrible, though. The majority of the stuff pointed out is not interesting at all, and the only reason to watch it is to laugh at the straws these people are grasping at. Even then, it's not very entertaining.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

wa27 posted:

That movie is terrible, though. The majority of the stuff pointed out is not interesting at all, and the only reason to watch it is to laugh at the straws these people are grasping at. Even then, it's not very entertaining.

This. I don't really get the meta-narrative that people attribute to it: "It's not a movie about cool things about The Shining. It's a movie about people who look into cool things about The Shining, but the movie knows they're crazy." No, the movie seems pretty much on-board with the interpretations.

I do like some of the things it points out: the Playgirl mag that Jack's reading, the window in the room, the fade transitions, the knife placements, etc. That's stuff's neat. Not a ski poster that looks like a Minotaur because Kubrick wanted people to buy gold because the moon landing was faked to kill the Native Americans.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The guy who talked about holocaust and nazi stuff in the movie seemed pretty reasonable. He is a professor of German history specializing in the Weimar period who wrote a book about it in collaboration with a Kubrick scholar, as I recall. His thesis is that Kubrick was was researching his holocaust movie during production and he used some images and ideas he encountered there. That seems perfectly reasonable and it passed peer review so it can't be too crazy.

I think 237 overall reflects the obsessive compulsions that characterize Kubrick himself. There's a reason he attracts that kind of obsession.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Under the Shadow recently popped up on Netflix, and I've been very pleasantly surprised by it. It's a rather slow burn especially during the beginning, but it manages to build up to some really incredibly tense and creepy moments. The unique setting (Tehran during the Iran-Iraq war) keeps things fresh and interesting, and the movie manages to walk a fine line of ambivalence where you're never quite sure what is real and what may just be imagined by the characters.

Past Tense Ragu
Oct 17, 2005

Franchescanado posted:

This. I don't really get the meta-narrative that people attribute to it: "It's not a movie about cool things about The Shining. It's a movie about people who look into cool things about The Shining, but the movie knows they're crazy." No, the movie seems pretty much on-board with the interpretations.

I do like some of the things it points out: the Playgirl mag that Jack's reading, the window in the room, the fade transitions, the knife placements, etc. That's stuff's neat. Not a ski poster that looks like a Minotaur because Kubrick wanted people to buy gold because the moon landing was faked to kill the Native Americans.

I didn't think the director believed these theories at all. In fact, his entire oeuvre is concerned with obsessive theorizing and paranoid thinking. How can the movie be on board with all the interpretations when many of them contradict each other?

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Franchescanado posted:

No, the movie seems pretty much on-board with the interpretations.

"If you look in the back, you can clearly see a picture of a minotaur on the wall."

-zooms in, shows a poster of a man skiing-

Past Tense Ragu posted:

I didn't think the director believed these theories at all. In fact, his entire oeuvre is concerned with obsessive theorizing and paranoid thinking. How can the movie be on board with all the interpretations when many of them contradict each other?

I still need to see his sleep paralysis documentary. And honestly I wish The S From Hell was expanded into a full-length feature on the innane things people were terrified of when they were kids.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The Nightmare loving owns as well. Ascher is one of my favorite current filmmakers.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Looks like Cheap Thrills just went up on Netflix. It's a pretty decent little black comedy/thriller from a few years back, I quite enjoyed it.

Moacher
Oct 10, 2007

In a few moments my neighbor is going to exit this building's ground floor, out onto the sidewalk. According to my math, from this height, I can kill him by pissing on him.
On a whim, and because I think my girlfriend has a ladycrush on Jodie Foster, we just watched Anna and the King (1999), and it was better than I expected. I don't know what critical acclaim for it was at the time, but imdb gives it a 6.7. That sounds about right; I might give it a little higher. I don't know how historically accurate it is, and at 2:30 it could be trimmed down maybe a little, but Jodie Foster is a strong and passionate lead, and Chow Yun-Fat is a charming and believable king. Also, the set-pieces and costumes are beautiful and it's got a little bit of everything, like romance, comedic relief, explosions, poignant philosophical moments. I'd say it's worth checking out.

Edit: It felt like the kind of thing that might have been geared towards being shown to upper-grade highschoolers in history or english class, if that makes any sense?

Moacher fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Jan 10, 2017

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

NF got Laura, a 1939 oscar contender with a murder mystery headed up by emotionless hard rear end detective who falls in love with the deceased. He might be the earliest specimen of Asperger caught on film. Vincent Price makes good on poo poo boyfriend and despite getting a Oscar for cinematography the story is all tell don't show. Laura was the best of us and no one was more lovely. You'll never get that from actually seeing flashbacks. Recommend but man is the protagonist an off putting robot.

Moacher
Oct 10, 2007

In a few moments my neighbor is going to exit this building's ground floor, out onto the sidewalk. According to my math, from this height, I can kill him by pissing on him.
Also, it's funny that they gave a title do-over to this show (at least where I am in Netflix Canada), now called Lovesick. When I watched it, several months ago, it was called Scrotal Recall, and I guess maybe people weren't watching it with that title? It's a fairly British TV show, and I guess this is one of these different regional sensibilities things.

Edit: The lead actress of the show, Antonia Thomas, apparently said something like 'while the former name technically made sense, it completely mis-sold the tone of the show.' and I would agree. though "Lovesick" is totally bland and forgettable as a title.

Moacher fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Jan 10, 2017

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Moacher posted:

Also, it's funny that they gave a title do-over to this show (at least where I am in Netflix Canada), now called Lovesick. When I watched it, several months ago, it was called Scrotal Recall, and I guess maybe people weren't watching it with that title?
They sent out marketing surveys to customers with multiple replacement titles.

In the free form response box I told them all the titles for this show were stupid and the concept sounded really similar to that garbage show with the idiotic name they already had.

It wasn't until they renamed the existing show that I realized that two STD comedies was too much for this world.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Perestroika posted:

Under the Shadow recently popped up on Netflix, and I've been very pleasantly surprised by it. It's a rather slow burn especially during the beginning, but it manages to build up to some really incredibly tense and creepy moments. The unique setting (Tehran during the Iran-Iraq war) keeps things fresh and interesting, and the movie manages to walk a fine line of ambivalence where you're never quite sure what is real and what may just be imagined by the characters.

Under the Shadow would've been my favorite horror movie of last year if not for The Witch.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Ehud posted:

I watched this on Friday night. I still don't know how to feel about it. It definitely affected me in...some...way?
I was brought up to believe that that specific feeling of being unable to even figure out what you're feeling, is one of the highest forms that a piece of artwork can do to someone. I mean having a life-changing Satori while looking t a picture of a stork or something is cool and samurai kawaii as gently caress however - questioning yourself is really where it's at.

Filthy Hans posted:

Rampage: President Down is a real bummer. It doesn't have any of the gleeful nihilistic charm of the first one, it's more of a dreary, uninspired sequel like #2 was. The main guy is too good an actor to waste on this franchise and everyone else in the cast acted so poorly they looked out of place in a loving Uwe Boll film.
To conitnue on my point - the first Rampage film struck me in a weird way, because it was just in that perfect "lagrange point" of it's cheap but not too cheap, it's got bad acting but not terribly bad, the subject matter is dark and flips on itself enough that I'm not sure how I feel about it. The second one was not. In fact I like to think that I've only seen the first movie because the only thing I remember about the second is that it had (I think) Domonic Purcell in a suit, shooting lots of banker or stock people for reasons, and managing to both be boring and kind of offensive while killing people I otherwise would want to cheer being killed in fiction.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Jan 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

coyo7e posted:

To conitnue on my point - the first Rampage film struck me in a weird way, because it was just in that perfect "lagrange point" of it's cheap but not too cheap, it's got bad acting but not terribly bad, the subject matter is dark and flips on itself enough that I'm not sure how I feel about it. The second one was not. In fact I like to think that I've only seen the first movie because the only thing I remember about the second is that it had (I think) Domonic Purcell in a suit, shooting lots of banker or stock people for reasons, and managing to both be boring and kind of offensive while killing people I otherwise would want to cheer being killed in fiction.

The Dominic Purcell movie was Assault on Wall St. Rampage 2 had the same lead (Brendan Fletcher) as the first one, but in the second he shaves his head, grows a thick beard, holds a TV station hostage and has daddy issue phone calls with his parents before murdering everyone.