Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Well, my speculation became moot faster than I expected. :v:

E: Update on last page.

AlphaKretin fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Jan 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016
Who to pick? Everyone in this route is so mysterious. I think I will go with Mashiron Top, Both Yu's High and Hikoron Neutral.

Llab
Dec 28, 2011

PEPSI FOR VG BABE
Mashiro - Top

Natsuhiko - High

Yuuri - Middle

Salyu - Middle

Mashiro seems to be our new Jun, Natsuhiko is a bit of an insufferable jerk, but I think he'll get better, and I don't know if I should trust Yuuri yet. Something seems to be going on with her. Nothing against Salyu, just that I don't really get her yet.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Mashiro top, the rest high. Gotta get those waifu points and there's no reason to distrust anyone.

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Look at this smug broken asshole.

Logicblade posted:

Going to stick with Mashiro at the Top, Yuuri just behind her at High, while both Natsuhiko and Salyu are Neutral

This seems as good a plan as any.

I'm placing my bet on this Yuuri we keep seeing in LABO to be some hallucination, or astral projection, or ghost, or something. It makes sense, since she won't leave the house otherwise.
Alternatively, 'Yuuri' is just Natsuhiko's alternate personality and he has schizophrenia or some poo poo.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Mashiro and Yuuri - Top
Natsuhiko - High
Salyu - Bottom

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016

GeneralYeti posted:

This seems as good a plan as any.

I'm placing my bet on this Yuuri we keep seeing in LABO to be some hallucination, or astral projection, or ghost, or something. It makes sense, since she won't leave the house otherwise.
Alternatively, 'Yuuri' is just Natsuhiko's alternate personality and he has schizophrenia or some poo poo.

I realize the still-poorly-understood nature of BC allows for a lot of things, but given that Watase and others could see and interact with Yuuri, I'm gonna guess she's not a schizophrenic delusion. Maybe the astral projection.

Successful Student
Jan 29, 2009
Everyone to bottom!

Trust nobody, not even ourselves!

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Everyone at the top. Trust everyone, including ourselves!

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016
Everyone at neutral!

Trust nobody, not even the guys telling us who to trust!

THIS WAS NOT AN ACTUAL VOTE, I ALREADY VOTED

asymmetrical
Jan 29, 2009

the absence or violation of symmetry
Mashiro - Top

Natsuhiko - High

Yuuri - Middle

Salyu - Low

I don't trust Salyu one bit.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

asymmetrical posted:

My knee-jerk reaction from Mashiro's character art was to dislike her - I figured she'd be the peppy kawaii archetype. But this update in particular really made me like her. She's got some sass.

She's got some peepers that you can use as a mirror though goddamn

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016

SSNeoman posted:

She's got some peepers that you can use as a mirror though goddamn

Well, it is a scientific fact that your eyes are one of the few things that don't grow as you age. Granted, as 16-18 year olds they don't have much more growing, but still. Kazami and Jun, imagining how wide their eyes must have been when they were single digits or something, that's a thing of wonder.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Alright, voting is closed. Final results are:

Mashiro: 7
Natsuhiko and Yuuri: 5
Salyu: 4

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

BACK INTO PEACE: 09/11/2030, 06:29

So, we've once again made a decision.

code:
Natsuhiko:

Top =     I
High =    IIII
Middle =  III
Low =     
Bottom =  I

Result: ((1*8)+(4*6)+(3*4)+(0*2)+(1*0))/9 = 4.888 = 5

Yuuri:

Top =     II
High =    IIII
Middle =  II
Low =     
Bottom =  I

Result: ((2*8)+(4*6)+(2*4)+(0*2)+(1*0))/9 = 5.333 = 5

Mashiro:

Top =     IIIIIIII
High =    
Middle =  
Low =     
Bottom =  I

Result: ((8*8)+(0*6)+(0*4)+(0*2)+(1*0))/9 = 7.111 = 7

Salyu:

Top =     I
High =    II
Middle =  III
Low =     I
Bottom =  II

Result: ((1*8)+(2*6)+(3*4)+(1*2)+(2*0))/9 = 3.777 = 4
So that will be going into effect once applicable throughout this chapter. Looks like you've gotten some more reservations about Yuuri, while Mashiro defends her crown as Route-Before-Jun, and you don't really trust Salyu all that much. Now, on to the story.

----
--

Woman: --here.

Hearing someone call out to him, Natsuhiko suddenly snapped out of his daze. Mashiro was there before his eyes.

♪ BGM: Quiet Days of Rokumei City

He had the feeling he was somewhere completely different just a moment ago. But-- there's no way he could've gone out this early in the morning. It was probably just his imagination.

(Am I still half asleep...?)

What do you mean, 'come again?' You told me to show you my hand, remember?

And right off the bat, we have a blue branch, with Mashiro at 7.

Yeah. I tried to pry open a stubborn bottle and hurt my finger.
Ah, sorry... I forgot.

He took a closer look at Mashiro's finger, and sure enough there was a small wound on it.

Natsuhiko took a bandage out of the medicine box and wrapped it around Mashiro's finger.

You're so careless, Mashiro.
Hahah, I'm so ashamed.

Natsuhiko finished wrapping the bandage.

...All right, that should do it.
Thanks. Alrighty, guess I'll go whip up some breakfast, then. Hang tight.

And with that, she went back to the kitchen.

A peaceful morning just like the last. Eventually, Yuuri came out of her room too.

Ah, good morning, Yuuri.
Huh? Oh, good morning, Yuuri~

After an exchange of salutations, Yuuri waited to eat breakfast with the other two. Natsuhiko enjoyed these leisurely mornings of his.

Ah, roger that.
Yay~ Breakfast~ breakfast~

Natsuhiko and Mashiro laid out breakfast for three on the table.

And thus another ordinary morning began. After breakfast was over, Natsuhiko sighed.

...Phew, thanks for the food. I loved it.
Me too~ It was delicious again today, Mashiron.
Okay, then. Let's get to school. We lazed around a little too much.

Natsuhiko hustled to get himself ready for school.

We'll be off then, Yuuri.
Bye, Yuuri. See you later.
Okay, take care, you two~

And with that voice at their backs, Natsuhiko turned on the lights and left.

♪ BGM: Helper / Theme of Mashiro

Say, Natsuhiko. Shouldn't you be a little more excited to get to school today?
Hm? Why's that?
I mean, look. Yesterday you were able to use telepathy, remember? You could tell the teachers so they can give you your 'Ability Level 1' certification, don't you think?
Oh... that.

However, no matter how much he tried, he couldn't do it a second time.

Well, sure, I may have used it once, but I don't feel like making a report just for that. If I reported it to the teachers, I'd have to take a level certification exam, wouldn't I?

However, you had to perform several tests of telepathy ability in front of your homeroom teacher to obtain it.

Honestly, I'm not confident I could take it. Yesterday was just a fluke.

A blue branch with Natsuhiko at 5 and Mashiro at 7.

Oh, I see. You just don't want to embarrass yourself in front of Ms. Ena.
Well, I guess there's that too. But more importantly, I'm not all that interested in ability levels. I don't care if I stay Ability Level 0 forever.
Really? Well, if you say so.
...What are you implying?
Huh? No, nothing... I mean I don't think there's any harm in using telepathy. And I was also thinking 'If only you could use psychic powers, you'd be able to bring smiles to everyone's faces.'

Tips posted:

TIP: BeyoBEYO/Episode 1 Commentary
Category: Fiction

''If only I had psychic powers, I'd bring smiles to all their faces...''

Inspired by a program on psychic powers they saw on TV, Kirara and her classmates try their hardest to bend spoons with their minds at school. At that moment, Kirara's pure wish becomes psychic power and everyone's spoons start to bend one by one. Everyone's spoons except for Kirara's, that is. That was because her wish was to bring smiles to ''their'' faces, and not her own. This purpose of this scene is to foreshadow Kirara's top-class psychic powers, but it also paints a picture of the pure kindness of her spirit.

--Psychic Girl Beyond*BEYOND
Official Guidebook

''If only you could use psychic powers, you'd be able to bring smiles to everyone's faces.''

Mashiro mused as she smiled at Natsuhiko. That nonchalant remark probably meant ''If Natsuhiko became able to use BC, I'm sure he'd use his powers for good. But if there ever comes a time where he ought to use his power for himself, he might hesitate to do so. When such a time comes, maybe I'll give him a little push from behind...''

A sentiment filled with Mashiro's pure kindness and consideration. ...Probably.

What's that supposed to mean?
It's a line from the first episode of the 'Beyond*BEYOND Voice Drama' I bought yesterday.
Oh.

Natsuhiko shrugged his shoulders.

Natsuhiko and Mashiro boarded the bus and headed to school.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

TRANSFER STUDENT: 09/11/2030, 08:10

Natsuhiko and Mashiro walked down the hallway, trying to ignore the noise.

Soon enough, Ena walked in.

Students: Good morning.
Mmhmm, that's what I like to hear. Now then, we've got a little surprise for you all today. A brand new friend is joining our class!
Male Student 1: Woah, a transfer student!?
Male Student 2: Is it a girl?
Indeed she is. Now then, Ms. Sannomiya, please come in~

Ena turned to the door and called to someone outside.

♪ BGM: Individualist / Theme of Louise

!?

Natsuhiko had seen that girl before.

Male Student 1: Woah~! No way! A blondie!?
Female Student 1: I-is she half-Japanese...?
Female Student 2: She's so tiny and cute~!
Male Student 2: Isn't she a little -too- tiny? What, is she an elementary schooler?

The introduction of the sweet, precious little girl had the class ecstatic. But in contrast to the excitement, Natsuhiko's face merely went stiff.

(That girl...!)

That was the very same girl that had been staring at Natsuhiko and Mashiro at the scene of the accident yesterday.

(That girl... is now my classmate...?)
Okay, go ahead and introduce yourself now.

At that signal, the girl opened her lips.

Louise Yui Sannomiya.

...And that was it. That was apparently all she had to say about herself.

...Uhm~ Ms. Sannomiya's mother is from France, and so she's been living there most her life. She hasn't had much experience with Japanese culture, so she might feel a little lost, but--
No, I don't feel particularly lost. There's no need for concern.
O-oh...? W-well, if you say so...

She shut Ena down in fluent Japanese. But Ena quickly recovered and continued where she left off.

...Uhm, Ms. Sannomiya is only 13 years old, but she skipped grades and was admitted into this class.
Male Student 1: Incredible! So she's one 'a those child prodigies!?
Perhaps, but before that, she's still a member of your class. So get along with her, okay everyone?
Students: Okay~

Ever since around 2025, even Japanese schools started allowing for students to skip grades, so a 13-year-old high schooler was not entirely out of the ordinary. But they were still uncommon. This was the first time Natsuhiko had actually seen one.

Well then, Ms. Sannomiya. Homeroom is about to begin, so please take a seat for now. Your seat will be in the very back by the window.

Ena pointed to the seat next to Mashiro's.

Understood.

Acknowledging the teacher indifferently, the girl named Sannomiya started walking to her new seat.

A blue branch with Salyu at 4.

(Wh-what's with her...?)

But she said nothing, slipping in beside Natsuhiko to reach her seat.

Hey, Natsuhiko. She's pretty cute, huh?
She's like a doll, even...
It kinda looked like she was staring at you, huh, Natsuhiko?

Natsuhiko answered Mashiro's casual question while hiding his unrest.

...Maybe, I guess.
You don't know her by any chance, do you?
No...
Hmm? But things are getting pretty interesting, don't you think?
Huh? Interesting how?
We got a half-Japanese transfer student! How often does that happen? We gotta make friends with her for sure!
...You sure are infatuated with her.

As they spoke, Ena continued on with homeroom. And after a few short announcements--

Okay, that's the end of morning homeroom. See you this afternoon, everyone~

Ena departed the classroom with a farewell. And as if waiting for that cue, all the girls made a beeline to Sannomiya's desk.

Female Student 2: What do you like to do on your days off?
Female Student 3: Why'd you move at such an odd time?

In light of all of these questions--

I lived in Andresy. I read on my days off. I moved because of family circumstances. That's all. Anything else?

She answered all of the questions in one breath and then looked at each of the girls. The girls fell silent at her intense gaze.

Female Student 1: Ah...
Is there a problem with that?
Female Student 2: No, there's not really a problem, but...
Female Student 3: Well, you know, we were kinda worried you might be having trouble adapting to an environment where everyone's older than you, so...
Female Student 1: Ah, yeah, that. So we thought we'd try to come and bring up a conversation for you...
No need for your concern. I don't want any special treatment for my age. An age difference of two or three years is not very significant relative to the human lifespan.
Female Student 1: Ah, yeah, I guess...
Understand? Then please, if you would treat me normally.

Sannomiya bluntly answered as she took a paperback book out of her bag. Not an ounce of warmth could be felt from her voice.

Did she just not like being interrogated? Or was that a show of her pride as a child prodigy? In any case, she definitely seemed the type to distance herself from other people.

Female Student 1: ...Ahahah, sorry for speaking out to you so suddenly.
Female Student 2: ...Hey, let's go.
Female Student 3: Yeah...

One by one, the girls left Sannomiya alone. -- But that didn't discourage a certain other girl from approaching her.

It was Mashiro. Sannomiya shuddered for a second before glaring at her.

...?
H-huh? Bon...jouuuur?
...Bonjour.
Oh, good, my bonjour got through to you. Thank goodness. I wasn't too sure of myself there.

Awkward silence. Mashiro darted her eyes back and forth, perhaps looking for a topic of conversation, before resting those eyes on the book Sannomiya was holding.

...Oh, I see you like reading. How tasteful. One of my friends loves books too, actually.
Really.
I've read that book too. That's a famous sci-fi young adult fiction masterpiece, right?
R-right...?

No matter what Mashiro said, Sannomiya would not humor her with a proper reply. Natsuhiko held his breath, watching their little exchange out of the corner of his eye.

...What do you need?
Huh? Ah, no, well... Since we're classmates from now on, you know~ I thought maybe we should be friends.

Mashiro said, heeding Sannomiya’s wish not to be treated as a younger child.

However, Sannomiya herself merely furrowed her eyebrows in displeasure.

(That's enough, Mashiro... Give up. She's clearly rejecting you.)

Natsuhiko was about to stop Mashiro-- but right before he could, Sannomiya murmured.

... Suit yourself.
!?

An unexpected reaction. He was sure she was going to reject her.

Yay! So allow me to make a proper introduction! I'm Mashiro Toba, and this is my friend, Natsuhiko!
Wait, what?

Natsuhiko jumped, startled to hear his own name come up.

H-hey, Mashiro... don't just go introducing me on your own.
What're you being so stiff for? A friend of a friend is a friend, right? Now, now, go greet her properly. You -are- her elder.

Mashiro pulled Natsuhiko to his feet by the arm. So there was really no way he could back down at that point.

Ah... well, I'm Natsuhiko Tenkawa. Nice to meet you.
...Nice to meet you.
Now, then, what should we call you? Ms. Sannomiya. Louise. Yui-Yui... They're all so cute, I just can't pick one.
It doesn't really matter which--
Oh, I know! I'll jam all three together and call you 'Salyu'. How's that!?
Woah, woah, Mashiro. Giving her a nickname right off the bat...? Don't you think you're jumping the gun just a little?

A blue branch with Mashiro at 7 and Salyu at 4.

So, how about it? How does Salyu sound? I think it's cute, personally~
Hmm... well, I don't see why not.
Really!?

Mashiro nodded to herself repeatedly.

Now that he thought about it, Mashiro would often give her friends nicknames in the past. Perhaps that helped her grow socially.

Good job, Mashiro. Looks like she likes it.
Yup! Eheheh, Salyu~?
...Mm.

Sannomiya, now christened ''Salyu'', had begun the day with a thoroughly cold attitude. But just like that, she was gradually eased into becoming Mashiro and Natsuhiko's new ''friend''...

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Clearly Mashiro is Best Buddy Jun, Yuuri is Ena, and Salyu is Ukita.

Which means Mashiro is going to betray us (probably by revealing that we're a ghost).

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016
First and most important observation: Holy poo poo a 13 year old kicked our rear end.

Second observation: that BeyoBEYO thing with Mashiro is definitely going to come up at some point.

But just to reiterate: a 13 year old kicked our rear end.

HydroSphere
Feb 11, 2014

I can't help but be amused at the way people point out Salyu's hair colour as an indication that she's not full-blooded Japanese considering that Watase is the only one in the main cast to actually have black hair, and even then he has blue eyes.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

OddHaberdasher posted:

First and most important observation: Holy poo poo a 13 year old kicked our rear end.

Second observation: that BeyoBEYO thing with Mashiro is definitely going to come up at some point.

But just to reiterate: a 13 year old kicked our rear end.

The great thing about Salyu is that you can look at Watase and all the crazy stuff he does and think "man, he's pretty badass", but then Salyu shows up and murders our entire crew with a loving fire axe - most of them with one clean blow, not to mention going up against a pistol and winning, seemingly pretty handily. Jun went up against Ukita with the engine cutter and lost hard, but Salyu wasn't having any of that poo poo. She's not afraid to choke some poor fucker to get her way, either - Kazami learnt that the hard way.

We're not sure what side exactly she's on, but whatever it is, you don't want to be on the other one.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

HydroSphere posted:

I can't help but be amused at the way people point out Salyu's hair colour as an indication that she's not full-blooded Japanese considering that Watase is the only one in the main cast to actually have black hair, and even then he has blue eyes.

It's usually specifically blonde hair that's taken to mean non-Japanese ancestry in manga and anime and the like, at least in my experience. Red, blue, brown, green, purple, etc. is all considered "black" hair in-universe since they're all either fantastical or already occur in the Japanese, but blonde is special - that one almost always means "not Japanese".

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Or that you're a rebel/delinquent with bleached hair. Naughty!

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

ENFANT TERRIBLE: 09/11/2030, 08:30

♪ BGM: Languid Hours of Rokumei City

A clear voice rang out in the silent classroom.

It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye. (click me!)

Salyu was chosen by the teacher right off the bat to read out of the textbook. Once Salyu finished reading, the teacher spoke.

English Teacher: Excellent. Your pronunciation was quite beautiful. Now, can you translate it into Japanese, Ms. Sannomiya?
'People are unable to see things accurately except with the heart; the essential details cannot be seen with the eyes.'
English Teacher: That's right. You may return to your seat.

Salyu slid back into her seat, her expression remaining unchanged despite the praise. The unconcerned look on her face perhaps implied she didn't really think it was that big a deal.

English Teacher: Now then, about the grammar used in this example sentence--

With complete disregard to the teacher who was continuing the lesson, Mashiro whispered.

But Salyu merely turned her head and looked the other way.

Oh, silent treatment, huh...
Well yeah, we're in the middle of class. Eyes forward, Mashiro.

But despite accosting Mashiro for doing the same thing, Natsuhiko sneaked a peek at Salyu himself. She gazed listlessly at the screen with a look on her face that made her seem quite hard to approach.

(A child prodigy, huh...)

Perhaps there really were concrete things that separated the geniuses from the ordinary.

(If only she had some sort of weak spot, we could use that to find some common ground...)

At least that's what Natsuhiko thought, but-- The next class was physical education, which only gave Salyu an opportunity to display even more talent.

♪ BGM: Family and Friends

Hah!

With a yell, Salyu did a handstand leg spread. And without falling over, she proceeded to cross the balance beam while spinning around.

Students: Woah~!!

The teacher and students cheered. Even Natsuhiko and Mashiro watched with gaping mouths.

W-wow... she's moving around like some kinda fighting game character!
Yeah. And this is just regular old phys ed.

The phys ed teacher merely instructed the students to ''use the balance beam in a freestyle performance'', and yet she calmly pulled off that bold move. It appeared it wasn't just her intelligence that was superior to the ordinary 13-year-old, but her physical ability too.

Hmm, just how much will heaven bless her before they think she's had enough? Beauty, intelligence, physical fitness... That's like a straight. Or a flush. A straight flush.
Mashiro, you sound like a geezer with that metaphor of yours.
Ah! And since she's going to this school, that obviously means she can use BC too, doesn't it...? So it's not just any straight flush, but a royal flush? Oh man, she's the perfect girl!

While Mashiro was getting herself excited, Natsuhiko only had a vague feeling that something wasn't right.

(Why would a girl like that bother transferring to a school like ours...?)

Probably to study BC. But could there be some other reason? Perhaps since his meeting with her left such an impression, there were quite a few things that bugged him about her.

And thus, morning classes came to a close.

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016
Hideo Kojima has ruined me for any reference to 'terrible children', particularly blond ones. I'm just going to go ahead and guess Yuuri was given the dominant genes.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Well, one possible explanation for this whole thing is that she tried to kill Ukita and got mad at us for interfering. That might be far too anime, though.

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016

Glazius posted:

Well, one possible explanation for this whole thing is that she tried to kill Ukita and got mad at us for interfering. That might be far too anime, though.

Anime? Anime? Anime is a 13 year old teenage girl managing to, in different endings, swiftly and easily kill 5 adults, 3 of whom were fit and 1 of whom was in possession of a gun and another an engine cutter (though I will concede that is an unwieldy weapon) with a fire-axe roughly half as tall as she is. Your explanation is merely refreshingly soap opera.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

OddHaberdasher posted:

Your explanation is merely refreshingly soap opera.

What is glossed over is that she attempted to kill Ukita by using her psychic powers to convince the car to crash. Not Ukita to crash the car, but for the car to crash itself.

Anime quota reached :v:

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

LABO: 6TH LABORATORY OF ATOMIC AND BIOLOGICAL ORGANIZATION: 09/11/2030, 12:45

An extracurricular lesson was scheduled for the afternoon classes. The students were to board a bus for afield trip to an outside facility.

Salyu, how was the cafeteria food?
Normal.

They were apparently talking about the food they ate just a while ago.

(''Normal'', huh... Just how long is she going to keep up the lone wolf act?)
I was just a little surprised.
Huh, about what?
The system for buying your own food. I thought all food was supposed to be served to you.
Hmm?

Natsuhiko couldn't help but interject at her odd statement.

Food's supposed to be served to you...? Is that how it is at rich girl schools?
I don't know what you mean by 'rich girl schools', but I personally have never gone and bought my own food before.
R-really...?

Natsuhiko was taken a little by surprise, but Mashiro, on the other hand, spoke calmly.

Haah, I guess French schools really are such high society establishments. Well, if you come across anything else you don't quite understand, don't hesitate to ask.
Anything I don't understand...

Salyu pondered Mashiro's offer for a little bit, and then--

...What's that?

She pointed outside the school gate and inquired.

Oh, that's a security camera.
Security camera...? For keeping the students under surveillance?
Ahah, no, not quite. It's just to make sure nobody suspicious tries to get into the school.
That reminds me, I saw a lot of those around town yesterday, too. Are they everywhere?
Yup. There are security cameras all over Rokumei City to keep a careful eye on any suspicious people.

Mashiro explained pridefully. The security cameras established high levels of public order within the city.

What an odd city. Something feels a little off.
True, I guess it does have its peculiarities. It is a 'government designated top secret city' after all.

Tips posted:

TIP: Government designated top secret city

A top secret city dedicated to the advancement of BC research, the protection of Communicators, and the promotion of correct BC knowledge. In accordance with the enactment of BC law, six such cities were designated by the BC Research Special Committee.

The flow of people in and out of each such city is strictly regulated under the pretense of protecting Communicators from persecution and preventing industrial spies from stealing BC research results. Each street that passes into a top secret city has an inspection gate. Though they are not at the level of closed city secrecy in the way Pripyat was not found on maps until after the Chernobyl nuclear reactor disaster, from an outside perspective, these cities do appear to have some similar aspects.

Regardless, these government designated top secret cities were a success, and at present, over 90% of Communicators live in them. However, not all residents outside of Rokumei City see its tax reductions and other benefits as positives. Some cynically see the benefits as a sign that the city is a biased ward for the preferential treatment of Communicators.

...What's that?
Hmm... I think it's probably a Japan-only thing... I know, Natsuhiko, you're into social studies, right? You explain it.
Huh, me?

It seemed like Mashiro wanted to make Natsuhiko and Salyu talk. Natsuhiko sighed and started explaining.

...So basically, this city is designated by the government as a special zone for science, so heavy regulations are imposed to prioritize safety first. And to enforce those regulations, we have various systems and devices installed around the streets. Including those security cameras.
What other sorts of systems are in place?
Let's see... there's a complex process you need to go through to move, I guess... And just to leave the city, you need to notify city hall beforehand.
...Why so thorough?
There are a lot of research facilities in the city, so there are warranted concerns of industrial espionage. I bet they expect nothing less than perfect security. Many of the facilities carry on important research involving national policy, so they need to be careful of any information leaks.
Exactly. There are even rumors that phone calls and emails are filtered to detect leaks, too. So what do you think, Salyu? Doesn't it sound like the whole city is a top secret laboratory? It's so cool and sci-fi-like, don't 'cha think?

Salyu stared in wonder at Mashiro's pressing question.

There you go again with your delusional babbling, Mashiro. When you've lived here from birth, it all becomes a normal sight, doesn't it? The security cameras are essentially just window stickers that say 'police on duty'. The innocent should have nothing to fear.
But the security seems a little excessive to me.
Not at all. The heightened security actually gives us peace of mind. After all, we've got -that- thing in our city.

Mashiro pointed to the bus stop's provided map as she spoke.

What's that...?
That's 'LABO'. Rokumei City's largest research facility--

Tips posted:

TIP: LABO

A nuclear research facility on the outskirts of Rokumei City. Its full name is the 6th Laboratory of Atomic and Biological Organization.

Though it is a nationally owned facility, Rokumei City is entrusted with its control and management. Due to the fact that the facility is equipped with a small nuclear reactor for research purposes and because of the need to protect the secrecy of important research related to national affairs, security is strict around the vicinity of LABO. You cannot even get within 10 km of the facility without first passing through a security gate, and even if you sneak past the gate, the path to LABO is equipped with countless surveillance cameras, and further inside is a private task force above the law, equipped with rubber bullet guns.

Though the entire thing may seem excessive, the fact remains that the government subsidies granted to LABO make Rokumei a city that is easy to live in. None of the citizens seem to let it bother them, figuring to just let sleeping dogs lie.

It's Japan's model atomic energy research institute.

Natsuhiko stiffened at the sound of those words. Because that was the very same singular thing that bothered him about the city.

♪ BGM: LABO Security Lv. 2

An independent administrative corporation that developed technology and conducted research on atomic energy and its biological effects. It was a national facility, but its management was entrusted to Rokumei City. One thing was special about this facility-- there was a ''small-scale nuclear reactor'' housed within the premises for research purposes. They used it to perform several tasks from nuclear fission experiments to nuclear fusion reactor development: an enormously profitable field of research. And for the risks the research brought, the national government provided subsidies to the city.

As a result, the formerly ordinary Rokumei City was reborn as the city of scientific research it was today. In terms of economics, industry, and science altogether, LABO could very well be said to be the town's core.

And Natsuhiko's mother is the face of those industry-leading researchers, isn't she~?

Mashiro smiled as she brought up the subject.

...I guess.

But Natsuhiko looked slightly ashamed about it.

(And both the town's prosperity and our livelihoods benefit from it, but still...)

True enough, Natsuhiko's mother had quite a high salary.

And it wasn't just because he didn't get along with his mother. The real reason had to do with Natsuhiko's personal past.

Bitter regret spread through his heart.

Huh? Uh, uhh... It's nothing. Anyway, when's that bus gonna get here?

The moment he said that, the bus came rolling in.

Okay, everybody. There are no assigned seats, so arrange yourselves however you'd like, okay?
In that case, let's sit close together, you two.
Ah, sure. I get the feeling the other boys are glaring at me, though.

Salyu looked like she wanted to say something-- But eventually, she just nodded at Mashiro's words and boarded the bus.

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016
It's still early days, so there's not much to analyze (that we didn't already know or believe anyway)....

Security is incredibly thorough around LABO. Assuming you went by the road, which seems the most feasible method, you have to get past a security checkpoint ten kilometers out from your target, and no matter what you have to get through ten kilometers of cameras and patrols from rubber bullet wielding security that is 'above the law'. How the hell did three high school students manage to get to LABO? With their words in the 'present', it's possible there is a terrorist assault that crippled security. Or possibly Shadowrunners.

Natsuhiko is fully skeptical of LABO. No 'repressed memories due to trauma' here.

asymmetrical
Jan 29, 2009

the absence or violation of symmetry

TheMcD posted:

There you go again with your delusional babbling, Mashiro. When you've lived here from birth, it all becomes a normal sight, doesn't it? The security cameras are essentially just window stickers that say 'police on duty'. The innocent should have nothing to fear.
The nothing to hide argument eh, game? :allears:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Judging by how shady LABO and its researchers are, I'm guessing the writers are fully aware of how horrid that argument is. Rokumei is Sinister Science City pretending it's Glorious Technofuture Citiy.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I wonder if they've ever been to Tsukuba.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

PARAPSYCHOLOGY RESEARCH CENTER: 09/11/2030, 14:00

♪ BGM: LABO Security Lv. 1

Ena called out to her students.

This is the mecca of BC research in Rokumei City, the Parapsychology Research Center.

Now then, class, let's come on in!

Natsuhiko and the rest of the class followed Ena, who seemed oddly excited for the field trip.

PRC Staff Member: Well, this is the office. We conduct all kinds of experimental data analysis here. From a chiefly biological standpoint, BC is a function of brain activity, and thus--

Mashiro and the other students listened on curiously, but Natsuhiko was completely inattentive.

(For a cutting-edge research facility, they've got a pretty ordinary-looking office...)

He was merely pondering dumb thoughts like that. In contrast to Natsuhiko, the most curious of them all was--

I see, I see~ That's so enlightening!

Their leader, Ena.

Do you do BC particle research here too?
PRC Staff Member: Research on that front takes place at a different laboratory. It's highly classified information, so we can't show you, however. For example, one certain laboratory conducts research on the function of intracerebral Mind particles and their interaction with Wanderer particles.
What about measurement and analysis of the energy generated intracerebrally during BC usage?
PRC Staff Member: Yes, naturally we conduct research on that as well. For example, in the case of a Level 4 Communicator, a maximum of 10 microscalar values of energy--

And thus, Ena and the staff member essentially had a one-on-one conversation, ignoring the students... And eventually, the field trip came to a close.

As they left the facility, Ena spoke to the lined up students.

Aren't you the one who had the most fun, Ms. Ena--? You started getting all technical on us and we couldn't keep up.

A few students laughed at Mashiro's jab.

Y-you're right. I'm sorry. I can't have talks like that with the other teachers, so I got a little carried away back there... How embarrassing. Anyway, that's it for classes today. There's a bus back to school, but you may also split up here if you'd like.
Students: Okay~
Be careful on your way back, everyone. The field trip's not over until you get home~

And with that piece of advice, the field trip was over. The students dispersed in every which way. Since Natsuhiko and the others were not part of any clubs and thus had no business on campus after school, they decided to head straight home.

Awrighty, how about we head home, Natsuhiko? Yeah, sure.

Natsuhiko half-heartedly replied.

(Ah, man... I'm kinda tired.)

The sharp-sighted Ena caught sight of Natsuhiko's yawn and called out to him.

♪ BGM: Achiever / Theme of Ena

Ah... Professor.

Ena smiled dryly when Natsuhiko twitched.

You were spacing out during the field trip too, weren't you? We can't be having any of that.
I-I'm sorry.
Hmm... You really don't like parapsychology, do you Mr. Tenkawa? That makes me a little sad as your parapsychology teacher.
No, it's not that, Professor. It's just...
It's just...?
I'm not too good with BC itself, actually. It's hard to explain...

Natsuhiko spoke what was on his mind. Upon which, Mashiro cut in beside him.

Natsuhiko didn't hate BC this much in the past, but... it looks like he's becoming more self-aware of how he's not good at it these past few years.
I see... But there've always been people like that.

Ena smiled somewhat sadly as she spoke.

And I'd like to change their perspectives if at all possible. And that's kind of why I became a parapsychology teacher. Even though I'm not a Communicator myself... Is that strange?
No, I don't find it strange in the slightest.

Natsuhiko struggled to find a reply. Just as Ena said, she was a parapsychology teacher, but couldn't use BC in the slightest. But for someone of Ena's generation, that was only natural. The great worldwide Communicator boom only began about 16 years ago, after all. The vast majority of those born before that couldn't use BC. Even the teachers at Rokumei Academy were no exception. However-- Natsuhiko was somewhat fond of having a female teacher this close to his own age. And so in a rare display of good will, Natsuhiko gave reluctant words of encouragement.

I... I think that's commendable. I heard there aren't that many people striving to become parapsychology teachers.
Heheh, thanks.
But what gave you the motivation, Ms. Ena? I heard that there were a lot of people who hated BC in your generation.
Well, Ms. Toba. It's because I believe my efforts will be crucial to the society of tomorrow.

Ena's face suddenly turned serious at that point in the conversation.

Interpersonal relations are going through a huge turnabout. And as a result, I'm sure society will too. Currently, every nation is striving to research BC and protect Communicators. After all, everyone's waiting to see what possibilities you guys will bring.
Possibilities...?
For example, telepathy allows for telepaths to directly convey 'emotions' to their targets, doesn't it? That ability is expected to have practical applications for psychological treatments. For example, if you sent a target patient a lot of 'cheerful emotions', you could perhaps eliminate the negative emotions that are causing their psychological disorder.
I see. That does sound like a good use case scenario.
Do you think maybe even our school could produce that sort of Newtype therapist?
Of course. But on the other hand, BC is dangerous if handled improperly... The history of BC is still mostly unwritten. Nobody knows for sure whether it'll be a benevolent art or a malevolent one. But since it's here to stay, I want to help guide the young Communicators towards making it a benevolent one. And that's why I pursued my career.

Ena was usually playful, but here, she spoke with a serious tone of voice.

Ms. Ena... that's so cool! I respect you even more now!
Heheh, and respect is the best thing you can ever give to a teacher.

As Ena spoke, she glanced at Natsuhiko.

So, Mr. Tenkawa. That's why I want all of my students to have a correct understanding of BC.
Y-yes, Professor.
Today's field trip, as well as all the usual practice drills, are all part of the curriculum to achieve that. You mustn't hate BC until you have complete understanding of it, okay?
I see... Okay. I guess I'll give it a shot.
Good. That's all I ask for now.

And with that, Ena turned back.

Okay, I'll go speak with that staff member one last time. See you tomorrow at school.
Okay, see you tomorrow.
Goodbye, Ms. Ena--

And with that exchange of farewells, they parted ways with Ena.

Good grief, Natsuhiko, you really suck up to Ms. Ena, huh?
Ugh... Is that what it looked like?
Well yeah, Mr. 'I'll give it a shot'. It's not like you're actually going to even try~

Bullseye. He himself had forgotten in the heat of the moment, but Natsuhiko staunchly hated BC. His classmates were mastering telepathy one by one, but no matter how much time had passed, Natsuhiko remained at Ability Level 0. He would completely lose motivation during parapsychology lessons. Even now, when Ena was the parapsychology teacher.

...But still, it would probably hurt her if I answered honestly.
True, true. Ms. Ena really loves BC, after all.
No, it's not just that. I mean she said 'BC is dangerous if handled improperly', too. So I wonder if she's had a bad experience relating to BC in the past... I mean, I'm sure that's why she was talking so seriously.
Mmm, you really must be staring at her to catch something like that...

Right as Mashiro said that-- a voice suddenly came up from behind.

???: Do you two agree?
Waaah!

♪ BGM: Individualist / Theme of Louise

S—Salyu? What's this all of a sudden?
Do we agree about what?
Do you agree 'BC is dangerous if handled improperly'?

That was the first time Salyu was the one to initiate conversation. Natsuhiko answered, somewhat surprised.

No... well, that's what they used to say in the past.
Was it different in France?
Don't know...
Uh... what do you mean you don't know? What are you trying to say?
Nothing, just wanted to hear your opinion. I'm done. Bye.

And with that, Salyu promptly tried to leave.

Huh? H-hey...
H-hang on a second. Salyu!
What?
Since we're all out here anyway, why not go home together? A bus'll be here any moment now to take us to the residential area--
No thanks. I have somewhere to go.

Salyu turned down Mashiro's offer and walked away. Leaving just the two of them behind.

...What was that about?
H-hmm... She sure is a girl full of mysteries, huh.

After a moment of confusion, they headed to the bus stop, still at a loss to explain what happened.

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016
Mysterious Transfer Student Salyu is Mysterious.

Apparently BC only became (relatively) more common after it was discovered. Is it a case where if you don't have the training early on, your potential is useless?

Intercerebrally generated energy? Mind particles? Wanderer Particles? If only Nat gave enough of a poo poo to give us a clue.

Also, don't think I didn't notice miss 'Green haired acquaintance of Watase' in that office shot, even if we only saw the back of her head.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

OddHaberdasher posted:

Also, don't think I didn't notice miss 'Green haired acquaintance of Watase' in that office shot, even if we only saw the back of her head.

I have to ask: who? I see her in the picture, but why would you think she has a connection to Watase?

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016

Cyouni posted:

I have to ask: who? I see her in the picture, but why would you think she has a connection to Watase?

Way back when (During the In The Mirror chapter, after Yuuri messed with Watase's mind and ran off) he had flashbacks while in a bathroom, one of which included a green haired woman, and when he was being consumed with anger and paranoia the image of that woman appeared in the mirror and brought him back to normal.

OddHaberdasher fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jan 11, 2017

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

OddHaberdasher posted:

Way back when (During the In The Mirror chapter, after Yuuri messed with Watase's mind and ran off) he had flashbacks while in a bathroom, one of which included a green haired woman, and when he was being consumed with anger and paranoia the image of that woman appeared in the mirror and brought him back to normal.

That woman's hair is actually black. Might be hard to tell with the filters, but it's black. I'm just going out there and saying it, the people in that shot of the PRC are not relevant to anything except that scene.

Trust me, I know green hair.

TheMcD fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Jan 11, 2017

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016
Oh, huh. I was almost about to ask if the researcher Ena spoke to had the same voice as our woman, but I was completely off the mark apparently. Good thing that was shot down early I suppose.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

OddHaberdasher posted:

Oh, huh. I was almost about to ask if the researcher Ena spoke to had the same voice as our woman, but I was completely off the mark apparently. Good thing that was shot down early I suppose.

Yeah, that researcher was a guy.

There's a lot of avenues to go down, so I do want to occasionally shoot down total dead ends to keep the more interesting theories (which are probably also dead ends, but more fun ones) going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016
Yeah, the sheer speculation going on is extremely exciting and occasionally out there (see the ghost theory I have recently converted to), but all within the realm of possibility for what we know. That enjoyment can easily go out the window if misinformation, accidental or deliberate, muddies the waters. So yeah, just carry on and post more chapters:whip:

• Locked thread