Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Schremp Howard posted:

Going back to arcade cabinets, I would kill own DDR Extreme if I had the space and that money to do it.

In also interested in picking up some of the SNES games I missed out on in my childhood. Namely Super Metroid and Super Mario RPG, but I'm concerned about battery life. None of my own games from the era have lost their saves, but should I be worried about this now?

The batteries can be replaced. It may require some basic soldering though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

d0s posted:

I actually removed it cause it was annoying to lift when messing with the controls

But what if you splash all over it?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

But what if you splash all over it?

The video quality on a Trinitron isn't that good, despite how people talk it up.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Innex, the company that puts out peripherals and clone/plug-and-play consoles from the likes of 8bitdo and Retro-Bit, sent out some PR about all the poo poo they're showing at CES this year and these things caught my eye:

"Super Retro Boy", a Game Boy/Color/Advance clone:

Officially-licensed Jaleco multi-cart releases for NES, SNES and Game Boy; the Game Boy cart is presumably the pack-in game advertised for the Super Retro Boy:

Bluetooth N64(ish) replica controller from 8bitdo:

They flyer also shows a "Retro-Bit Generations Portable" which I guess is based on their awful Capcom/Jaleco/Irem plug-and-play from a few months ago.

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Jan 7, 2017

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!
If the top of the NES collection's label doesn't just say JALECO I'm gonna be disappointed.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Why would they made a GBA clone that puts the l/r buttons on the face of the machine, what the gently caress.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Even though I already have a revo k101 I'm definitely interested in that retro boy. August is so far away though...

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Elliotw2 posted:

Why would they made a GBA clone that puts the l/r buttons on the face of the machine, what the gently caress.

That SSF2T remake for GBA maybe? :psyduck:

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

d0s posted:

oh my god yall

they should have sent a poet

This good

I so wish I had a good camera and could take good pics of the games I play on my PVM. Cellphone cam just doesn't do it justice.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Elliotw2 posted:

It has the OG GB form factor, where else could they put them?

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

It has the OG GB form factor, where else could they put them?

On the back like all the retro pi in a Gameboy case modders do.

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

d0s posted:

not when you consider that as a medical unit it spent most of it's life displaying the inside of anuses

Wouldn't that just make it sexier? :gizz:

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Elliotw2 posted:

that definitely kills it for me considering the multitude of ways I already have to play gb/gbc/gba games

That Jaleco collection though...

Pokemon OH SNAP!
Oct 17, 2004

TeaJay posted:

This good

I so wish I had a good camera and could take good pics of the games I play on my PVM. Cellphone cam just doesn't do it justice.

I have a 20M2MDU and a DSLR.

Should have messed with the camera settings a little more but whatever.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
What does the splash guard look like?

Pokemon OH SNAP!
Oct 17, 2004

No splash guard and no Sony emblem.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

RodShaft posted:

On the back like all the retro pi in a Gameboy case modders do.

I guess that's a little more intuitive but I never cared for that layout either.

Of course, the real reason it uses the SNES-style button layout is because it's cheaper that way (and lets them push next year's 2.0 version with different button placement).

I wonder how their GBA emulation will fare... their other clones are okay by clone standards but a lot of the stuff on the Generations plug-and-play is dire and I feel like the GBA is prone to being handled poorly.

Pokemon OH SNAP!
Oct 17, 2004

I guess that's a little more intuitive but I never cared for that layout either.

Of course, the real reason it uses the SNES-style button layout is because it's cheaper that way (and lets them push next year's 2.0 version with different button placement).

I wonder how their GBA emulation will fare... their other clones are okay by clone standards but a lot of the stuff on the Generations plug-and-play is dire and I feel like the GBA is prone to being handled poorly.

If it's a hardware clone GBA SoC is pretty mature I think, the Revo K101 is really nice at least.

If it's any good I might buy it mainly to play GBC games.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

DalaranJ posted:

Someone awhile back mentioned a program that they used to generate a folder structure for their everdrive. What was that called?

Cowering's GoodTools which are distinct for each system (GoodNES for NES, GoodSNES for SNES, GoodGBx for Game Boy and Game Boy Color etc.), which is DOS commandline-based but I imagine GUI frontends for it must exist. In any case, you put all your ROMs in a single folder, unzip your GoodTool to that same folder, open a command prompt, go to that folder and then type in for example "goodnes rename dirs", which will rename all ROMs which match to a very complete internal database using a specific naming scheme, and then punt them into a subfolder like "NESRen\USA".

That said, other than the renaming, all it's doing is a simple "move files corresponding to this naming scheme" thing and you can do this yourself, either in a commandline with a series of commands like "move *(U)*.nes FOLDERNAME" run in the correct order to deal with cruft first, or in whatever File Manager you have similarly, by finding all files with a specific naming pattern, and then cutting\pasting those wherever.

Generally, you end up with subfolders for BadDumps and OverDumps which you can straight-up purge, subfolders for particular regions which will exclusively have clean copies of those respective games (USA, Europe, World, NTSC, Japan etc.), subfolders for "Hacks" and "NewestTranslations" you can fish through manually for specific gems.

Depending on the system and your tastes there may be other folders for you to look in, like "Australia" if you need your cricket fix (I think everything else is redundant), "Pirate" or "Unlicensed" if you want games which fall into those categories (e.g. Tengen and Wisdom Tree games on the NES).

From there you may have to do some extra legwork, like further splitting down folders for the N8 Everdrive so no folder has more than 254 games.

If all this sounds like way too much work, various people have made ready-to-go ROMsets for various Everdrives. I also made DAT files for CLRMamePro which will do the same, although I haven't updated them in ages, I may update them this coming week.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3920747/Everdrive%20DATs.zip

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

So much for the USB port being charging-only.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2c5JLHl56g

_____!
May 2, 2004

I remember the awkward time I was reading a preview of Ballz and was confused about what one of the billboards said in the the background. "Mom, what does 'wham, bam, thank you ma'am' mean?" and then she gave a chipper, but short and blunt explanation.

She was also one of the Dr Mario Destroyers. Just constantly running train on level 24 over and over. On the flip side she played with the music off and thus is not privy to the wonder of Fever nor Chill.

I'm not a huge Jaleco fan but count me in for those compilations. I only have a few of those on cart. I definitely don't feel the need to play through Astyanax again. I played through it at a friend's bachelor party (read as: a bunch of nerds bringing TVs and games). I told the bachelor that instead of joining in multiplayer shennanigans I would personally do my best to play through the entirety of an an NES game I hadn't yet played through to slog through and show him the ending. And yes I had migraine cooling pads.

_____! fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jan 7, 2017

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

This was waiting for me in the mail. It's just the box/manual for etrian since I've had a cart only gamestop copy since forever, and that thing I kickstarted since having a new(ish) NES game in TYOOL 2017 is kind of amazing

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

univbee posted:

Cowering's GoodTools which are distinct for each system (GoodNES for NES, GoodSNES for SNES, GoodGBx for Game Boy and Game Boy Color etc.), which is DOS commandline-based but I imagine GUI frontends for it must exist. In any case, you put all your ROMs in a single folder, unzip your GoodTool to that same folder, open a command prompt, go to that folder and then type in for example "goodnes rename dirs", which will rename all ROMs which match to a very complete internal database using a specific naming scheme, and then punt them into a subfolder like "NESRen\USA".

Thanks.

Dr. Dos posted:

If the top of the NES collection's label doesn't just say JALECO I'm gonna be disappointed.

My local resale shop stacks all their games, because it saves so much space and you can read the title off the top label, right?

If I could use a time machine for one trivial thing, it would be to travel back 30 years and punch a Japanese marketer in the face.

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

_____! posted:

I'm not a huge Jaleco fan but count me in for those compilations. I only have a few of those on cart. I definitely don't feel the need to play through Astyanax again. I played through it at a friend's bachelor party (read as: a bunch of nerds bringing TVs and games). I told the bachelor that instead of joining in multiplayer shennanigans I would personally do my best to play through the entirety of an an NES game I hadn't yet played through to slog through and show him the ending. And yes I had migraine cooling pads.

If you ever need Astyanax, it's one game that seems always in stock (and cheap) at every store carrying old NES carts. Astyanax, Captain Skyhawk, and Rad Racer are to retro shops what Jesus Jones, 4 Non Blondes, and New Order's Republic were to used CD stores ten years ago.

Also, lots of sports games, but everyone knows that.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

DalaranJ posted:

Thanks.

My local resale shop stacks all their games, because it saves so much space and you can read the title off the top label, right?

If I could use a time machine for one trivial thing, it would be to travel back 30 years and punch a Japanese marketer in the face.

Eh, if you see a stack that says Jaleco Jaleco Jaleco somewhere it means Bases Loaded Bases Loaded Bases Loaded.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

What's the deal with Captain Skyhawk anyway? Compared to the other carts that every reselller has an infinite supply of (Bases Loaded, Play Action Football, etc) it doesn't actually seem that bad.

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.
I think they just made a ton of copies. I remember that when Wal-Mart and Meijer and Toys R Us were closing out NES games back around 1993, they still had lots of Captain Skyhawk. And Super Glove Ball, for some reason. Meijer filled half a wall case with Super Glove Ball.

XYZ
Aug 31, 2001

Kid Fenris posted:

I think they just made a ton of copies. I remember that when Wal-Mart and Meijer and Toys R Us were closing out NES games back around 1993, they still had lots of Captain Skyhawk. And Super Glove Ball, for some reason. Meijer filled half a wall case with Super Glove Ball.

I guess they figured the Power Glove would be a big success :v:

It might have been a success had it had more games specifically made for it, it really only had Super Glove Ball. As an NES controller it was complete dogshit.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Does Skyward Sword have this weird grid effect all the time, or is it due to playing a 480p game on a console outputting 1080p to a 2160p TV?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

RZA Encryption posted:

Does Skyward Sword have this weird grid effect all the time, or is it due to playing a 480p game on a console outputting 1080p to a 2160p TV?

Buy an upscaler, jesus christ

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Ok, what's the best 1080p -> 4k upscaler?

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

What does the splash guard look like?

clear grey flap over controls

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC

RZA Encryption posted:

4K TVs are already great at upscaling 1080p to 4K.

Edit: misread your post. Is Wii U upscaling that bad? I don't think the problem could be the TV of the Wii U is already outputting 1080p.

SeductiveReasoning fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jan 7, 2017

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

RZA Encryption posted:

Yeah, it's not an upscaler problem, and 4K shouldn't need a 1080p upscaler anyway. It's a perfect integer multiple, though there are some TV sets that still manage to gently caress it up.

That pattern you're seeing is probably dithering in the game itself. Dithering is used in place of true alpha transparency a lot, for performance reasons I think.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
Ballz chat: The 3DO version has an extra character and nicer audio/graphics. It's still Ballz, though, and all of. I bought it last year because it was five bucks and I was trying to fill out my 3DO library beyond The Need for Speed and two copies of Street Fighter.

Also, weirdly, apparently every character can morph into any other character at any time in the match using various button combinations. A game full of Shang Tsungs.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
I think I last saw Ballz when I watched Frankomatic do a quick LP of it and also today when I picked up and looked at the SNES cart in a game shop. I put it back and got King of the Monsters on genesis instead along with a bunch of other crap.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Skyward Sword has some pretty noticeable dithering on the bloom and glow effects on the Wii U, it's perfectly normal.

A lot of Wii and PSP games used dithering and even sometimes low color depth to squeeze more performance out of the system.

HMC
May 18, 2009

I wonder if the buttons are remappable, because that seems like an uncomfortably steep angle for those A and B buttons. :gonk:

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

Innex, the company that puts out peripherals and clone/plug-and-play consoles from the likes of 8bitdo and Retro-Bit, sent out some PR about all the poo poo they're showing at CES this year and these things caught my eye:

Officially-licensed Jaleco multi-cart releases for NES, SNES and Game Boy; the Game Boy cart is presumably the pack-in game advertised for the Super Retro Boy:

They flyer also shows a "Retro-Bit Generations Portable" which I guess is based on their awful Capcom/Jaleco/Irem plug-and-play from a few months ago.

I could see myself buying that GB clone and all three of those compilation game packs. Not so much the Retro Bit thing. (Reports have said they are making a fixed one for like March or so. But Retro Bit is iffy.)

http://wargamedork.blogspot.com/2015/06/a-little-fun-with-dreamcast.html Like I so far think their VGA box for the Dreamcast is good but a 6 button Genny controller they made was kind of blah. Retro bit is an uneven producer. (Also my link has a majorly kickass controller dongle for the DC to like. Even if the Saturn Racing Wheel doesn't seem to work with it. Saturn standard pads do however and most of us are down with those.)

Captain Rufus fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Jan 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

liquid courage
Aug 12, 2011

Just found a cheap copy of Pokemon Blue at Book Off... it looks like Pokemon gen 1/2 carts have gone back down to regular prices. I almost grabbed a copy of Gold with a dead battery there last week for $10, but hesitated. Definitely gonna get the remaining games before prices go up again.

• Locked thread