Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
Nah, that was just how you used betamax tapes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Coaaab posted:

Northern Virginia residents are all rich and poo poo, they deserve it.

Actually that 10-mile section of interstate used to be part of my commute, now I have to use the subway where today my train was stuck in a tunnel as the authorities had to fix an electrical problem at the next stop. Wasn't that bad of a wait because it was completely silent in the car other than some off-key guy listening & then singing his jams (mainly about beating up that pussy and random sfx) to a bunch of people that just got off work.

I imagine there are people who need to drive through Northern Virginia who don't live in Northern Virginia and tolls that insane makes it seem like it's a special road only for rich people, which is even worse. It's like how rich people don't give a poo poo about water quality because they only drink bottled water from Fiji.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

wyoming posted:

Nah, that was just how you used betamax tapes.

So that's why the format never really took off.

Skwirl posted:

I imagine there are people who need to drive through Northern Virginia who don't live in Northern Virginia and tolls that insane makes it seem like it's a special road only for rich people, which is even worse. It's like how rich people don't give a poo poo about water quality because they only drink bottled water from Fiji.

A bunch of rich dicks in Maine actually arranged it so they would get Poland Spring water straight from their taps.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Jan 7, 2017

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Oh man, those Google robots are now arguing on who is human.

As I am posting this, one of them is calling the other a bloody idiot and also talking like Yoda.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

weekly font posted:

After years of being unable to play it, I have finally obtained a copy and played a few hours into the predecessor of my favorite game of all time - Dark Souls. I am now that much more grateful it exists because I can't comprehend how a game as bad as Demon's Souls got a sequel.

...What the hell is up with this thread tonight?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

The MSJ posted:

Oh man, those Google robots are now arguing on who is human.

As I am posting this, one of them is calling the other a bloody idiot and also talking like Yoda.

Now they're debating the existence of God.

https://www.twitch.tv/seebotschat

Edit: now they're back to accusing each other of being robots, one claims to be a dragon.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Jan 7, 2017

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Skwirl posted:

I imagine there are people who need to drive through Northern Virginia who don't live in Northern Virginia and tolls that insane makes it seem like it's a special road only for rich people, which is even worse.
It pretty much is because it's an electronic toll that requires the driver to buy a transponder for $35 (which becomes your initial toll fare), then you refill as needed. I bought one because traffic around here is as bad as any place else in the US.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Coaaab posted:

It pretty much is because it's an electronic toll that requires the driver to buy a transponder for $35 (which becomes your initial toll fare), then you refill as needed. I bought one because traffic around here is as bad as any place else in the US.
That makes it seem like we're segregating roads by income bracket even more.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Holy loving christ, The Unfunnies might legitimately be the worst comic book ever published. I'm not being hyperbolic here.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

CPL593H posted:

I really want to start a bar band that plays dad rock covers but fucks with the lyrics to make them about poo poo that is gross and awful.

so just a modestly selective dad rock cover band then

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

CPL593H posted:

I really want to start a bar band that plays dad rock covers but fucks with the lyrics to make them about poo poo that is gross and awful.

Nobody would notice, and like 33% of rock songs are about awful poo poo anyway.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Skwirl posted:

It was a 700% markup, at 8:20 in the morning on a weekday. I paid normal rate when I used them on New Year's eve. I used to talk them up because I thought I'd read they cap their markups at double, apparently I was wrong. I've used them during rushes before and always got a warning saying it'd be 25% extra or whatever, nothing this morning. I'm trying to blow them up on twitter at the moment but I only have like 12 followers so that's not really going to do anything.

https://twitter.com/sinclairking/status/817607764675465216

Share this if you want to help publicly shame them.

nice self-own

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtHOP-FqYHk

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

wyoming posted:

Uh, you best check yourself, Demon's Souls owns.

Boletaria Palace is still my favorite level in any videogame period.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Budgie Jumping posted:

Hey I know you guys like comics. What's that The Mask comic like?

Dope as gently caress but ins anely dark

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Holy loving christ, The Unfunnies might legitimately be the worst comic book ever published. I'm not being hyperbolic here.

No poo poo

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Here's some cool effects trickery from the silent film era. I'd never seen this before.

http://imgur.com/a/wUAcl

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Here's some cool effects trickery from the silent film era. I'd never seen this before.

The leper one is really cool.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Oh yeah. Safety Last is one of the most ingenious movies ever.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Playing the rougher first game after playing the rest of the entire series meant that there was almost no other way this could have gone. I'm bummed too.

weekly font fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Jan 7, 2017

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

No poo poo

It's worse than I loving expected it to be somehow

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

For me the series didn't even come close to creating a level as unnerving, atmospheric and generally amazing as Tower Of Latria until Bloodborne and even then I don't think it quite managed to match that

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
The newest character Sanrio came up with seems to be a change of pace for the company...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvClxgjYJZ4

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I really wish Kevin Brownlow and David Gill's miniseries Hollywood was on (legal) DVD because it's pretty much a 13-hour crash course on American silent films.

One episode just covers cinematography and special effects work:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJyND6k3Z1M

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

glam rock hamhock posted:

For me the series didn't even come close to creating a level as unnerving, atmospheric and generally amazing as Tower Of Latria until Bloodborne and even then I don't think it quite managed to match that

I think there's a few parts in Bloodborne better than Tower Of Latria, but for sure one thing they have lost is the mundanity of the King's Field style level design. Tower of Latria, the mines and Boletaria Palace feel less like videogame level segments and more like built-out complete spaces, but not in a lame open world kind of way. It's not to the degree that S.T.A.L.K.E.R. is designed, which has whole, complete structures that have nothing in them but scenery and only function as landmarks, but still.

Egbert Souse posted:

I really wish Kevin Brownlow and David Gill's miniseries Hollywood was on (legal) DVD because it's pretty much a 13-hour crash course on American silent films.

One episode just covers cinematography and special effects work:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJyND6k3Z1M

Do you know the name of Ep. 12?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jan 7, 2017

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

The newest character Sanrio came up with seems to be a change of pace for the company...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvClxgjYJZ4

This rules.

Also, I promised more OVA's, so here's Dirty Pair! There's more to this series than just the OVA, there's a few movies, manga, and I believe a full TV series, but this is all I've seen. I like this OVA a lot, it's got a classic aesthetic, 80s anime at its peak, and it's just so fun and weirdly wholesome for a cheesecakey comedy/action series. I always felt like it was the anime version of The A-Team. Love that ending theme, too. If you're only gonna scope one episode, episode 2 is a fun take on The Terminator.

This episode is a pretty good primer for the OVA as a whole: the way that the COs and the prisoners are both ridiculed and treated flippantly as absurd characters encapsulates the breezy, anti-machismo vibe that I dig about Dirty Pair.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUN7Uf7I3D0

Anonymous Robot fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jan 7, 2017

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

I think there's a few parts in Bloodborne better than Tower Of Latria, but for sure one thing they have lost is the mundanity of the King's Field style level design. Tower of Latria, the mines and Boletaria Palace feel less like videogame level segments and more like built-out complete spaces, but not in a lame open world kind of way. It's not to the degree that S.T.A.L.K.E.R. is designed, which has whole, complete structures that have nothing in them but scenery and only function as landmarks, but still.

Do you know the name of Ep. 12?

star treatment

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hollywood_(1980_TV_series)

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Dissapointed Owl posted:

These rule. I knew about Safety Last and Sherlock Jr and the general trick of matte paintings, but I'd never seen the Modern Times trick before. That's, in the parlance of our times, dope af.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS
So episode 1 of the podcast I'm doing with my twitter buddy is gonna be on The Secret and that sort of new agey predatory capitalistic brand of spirituality and solipsism. I'm watching the "documentary" on YouTube and this poo poo is hilariously disgusting.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

The failure to me is in the mechanics of the game, not anything level design related. Like I said it may entirely be a product of going backwards.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

So episode 1 of the podcast I'm doing with my twitter buddy is gonna be on The Secret and that sort of new agey predatory capitalistic brand of spirituality and solipsism. I'm watching the "documentary" on YouTube and this poo poo is hilariously disgusting.

I'll listen to this, I was working at a Borders at the peak of that whole thing and I can't get enough bagging on it.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS
20 mins in and its obvious that The Secret people are actually Juggalos because they have no loving idea how magnets work and they keep comparing people to magnets and saying poo poo like "positives attract positives, just like magnets"

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

I'm really excited to hear your podcast.

weekly font posted:

The failure to me is in the mechanics of the game, not anything level design related. Like I said it may entirely be a product of going backwards.

The main flaw, IMO, is that they hadn't figured out Estus yet. That change was perfect.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
im getting like eighty dollars back on my taxes this year and i dont know how and im about to fuckin cry because i was really thinking i was going to have more money coming in to pay my fuckin bills

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Yo, SMG, is all of KLF's video art as good as this?

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I'm really excited to hear your podcast.

The main flaw, IMO, is that they hadn't figured out Estus yet. That change was perfect.

That's one but bonfire placement and better designed levels was huge. Also the lack of a jump and feeling like I have to queue up actions in advance sucks. Shares more DNA with DS2 than DS and that's bad.

Count me in as a podcast listener.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Hey y'all, long as we're talking podcasts, we just launched Part 1 of Alcohollywood's full-cast radio drama adaptation of Chris Columbus' wackadoo lost Indiana Jones script, Indiana Jones and the Monkey King. If you ever wanted to hear Indy get caught up in an investigation of murderous Scottish ghosts while on a fishing trip, your ears are in for a treat.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Budgie Jumping posted:

Hey I know you guys like comics. What's that The Mask comic like?

I've wanted to check that out for a while and ended up buying the trades because you mentioned it. Anyway, if you'd like to get them without paying an absurd markup tfaw.com has the first three collected editions for eight bucks each. The omnibus that contains the same material usually goes for 200 bucks.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Also don't skip the fourth, The Hunt for Green October, if you like the first two. It has Big Head vs. neo-Nazis. It's exactly as loving amazing as that sounds and should have been the sequel to the movie instead of Son of the Mask.

e: nevermind, apparently it was never actually collected outside of the omnibus, which is a shame because it's probably the best Mask arc on the whole. You can get the floppies for relatively cheap on Amazon and it's piss easy to :filez:, though.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jan 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

It's available on archive.org: https://archive.org/details/SilentFilmsDocumentary

• Locked thread