Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Mu Zeta posted:

The best part is nobody remembers the sacrifices of Rogue One. None of them got a parade like Luke Skywalker and Han Solo. There aren't even ships named after them.
My guess was that Luke eventually names his fighter squadron in their honor, which is kind of a neat little tie-in to ESB.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

I have one for Frozen.

So at the end of the movie, we find out that Elsa can control and even reverse her power by expressing happiness/joy. Well during the whole Let it Go song, she seems pretty loving happy, why doesn't she accidentally end up reversing some ice stuff and discover that ability much earlier?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

WampaLord posted:

I have one for Frozen.

So at the end of the movie, we find out that Elsa can control and even reverse her power by expressing happiness/joy. Well during the whole Let it Go song, she seems pretty loving happy, why doesn't she accidentally end up reversing some ice stuff and discover that ability much earlier?

Also, how did she not realise that she had been unfreezing it for years? They often played with her snow in secret in the ballroom. Obviously she had to unfreeze it herself as noone else knew about her power, or even got suspicious. Anna's memory was wiped, but not Elsa's.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

WampaLord posted:

I have one for Frozen.

Shes hatefucking that song

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
I was just disappointed Anna didn't discover fire powers by the end.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

CubanMissile posted:

I was just disappointed Anna didn't discover fire powers by the end.

I was honestly thinking that would be the solution but nope.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

BioEnchanted posted:

Also, how did she not realise that she had been unfreezing it for years? They often played with her snow in secret in the ballroom. Obviously she had to unfreeze it herself as noone else knew about her power, or even got suspicious. Anna's memory was wiped, but not Elsa's.

What? Their parents definitely knew.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

Len posted:

I was honestly thinking that would be the solution but nope.

If it doesn't happen in the sequel I'll assume Disney considered it but decided they didn't want to risk little girls at home starting fires.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

CubanMissile posted:

If it doesn't happen in the sequel I'll assume Disney considered it but decided they didn't want to risk little girls at home starting fires.

Kids didn't like Anna though, at least from my experience

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

Len posted:

Kids didn't like Anna though, at least from my experience

Why not? I'm never around children.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

CubanMissile posted:

Dunno. Most of the ones I worked with preferred Elsa over her as does my friend's daughter.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Biplane posted:

Shes hatefucking that song

:agreed:

I guess my IIMM is how do you get all that water to freeze from nowhere without making your castle all dry as heck and the servants (not pictured) getting really raw noses unless they have ginormous evaporators steaming the place up and then if the servants (not pictured) knew to put the humidifiers in were they complicit with Elsa's reign of terror?

Did she put some fear into the people who chopped the wood and cooked the food and emptied the chamber pots?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

CubanMissile posted:

Anna doesn't have superpowers.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The Clone Wars into Rebels cartoons actually do have Dark and Light sides that balance each other, not just The Force with the dark side being cancer.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I think one of my favorite explanations for the weird sword fight bullshit we see in the prequels is that Ben is literally not thinking about what he's doing. It's why he's pretty much unbeatable as an opponent, because he just sort of lets the force move his blade around for him. It was in some novel (I can't recall which one, might have been the novelization of ep2) where he just kind of turns off himself and trusts completely in what the force wants him to do. Dude doesn't have a game plan, he just starts swinging and lets his version of Jesus take the wheel.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I think one of my favorite explanations for the weird sword fight bullshit we see in the prequels is that Ben is literally not thinking about what he's doing. It's why he's pretty much unbeatable as an opponent, because he just sort of lets the force move his blade around for him. It was in some novel (I can't recall which one, might have been the novelization of ep2) where he just kind of turns off himself and trusts completely in what the force wants him to do. Dude doesn't have a game plan, he just starts swinging and lets his version of Jesus take the wheel.

I think it was one of the lead-ins to ROTS (there were three that occur to me: the Genndy Tartakovsky Clone Wars cartoon; a novel by James Luceno; and a comic series) where he's on a planet and gets high on some spores he inhales by accident.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Something that's kind of stupid about Gangs of New York is how partway through the movie there's the big scene where Amsterdam's plot to kill Bill is foiled and Bill takes a hot iron to his face saying how he'll be scarred and be worthy of being in Barnum's freakshow. Then like 10 minutes later all he has is a small scar on his cheek that is barely noticeable.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

muscles like this! posted:

Something that's kind of stupid about Gangs of New York is how partway through the movie there's the big scene where Amsterdam's plot to kill Bill is foiled and Bill takes a hot iron to his face saying how he'll be scarred and be worthy of being in Barnum's freakshow. Then like 10 minutes later all he has is a small scar on his cheek that is barely noticeable.

In that movie, Daniel Day Lewis's character has a glass eye. DDL actually has two eyes, so they fitted him with a scleral shell. There's a scene in the movie where the character uses his knife to tap himself on his glass eyeball to be intimidating and poo poo.

Lewis loving *taps himself in his actual eye*. That man is terrifying.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

muscles like this! posted:

Yeah but that was a good actor in a good movie.

Think of how Tyrion Lannister should look and why you'd care about it.

It's aesthetics.

And possibly how long an actor should sit in the makeup department getting gross stuff applied to their face.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

syscall girl posted:

Yeah but that was a good actor in a good movie.

Think of how Tyrion Lannister should look and why you'd care about it.

It's aesthetics.

And possibly how long an actor should sit in the makeup department getting gross stuff applied to their face.

Tyrion isn't as bad though because he's still a dwarf and even if he was hosed up in the books, him being a dwarf was largely what they shat on him about. Carving off his nose was just overkill.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

If Daniel-Day-Lewis played Robespierre he'd method act his way the guillotine and earn a posthumous oscar.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Phanatic posted:

In that movie, Daniel Day Lewis's character has a glass eye. DDL actually has two eyes, so they fitted him with a scleral shell. There's a scene in the movie where the character uses his knife to tap himself on his glass eyeball to be intimidating and poo poo.

Lewis loving *taps himself in his actual eye*. That man is terrifying.

Daniel Day-Lewis is one of the greatest living actors. He refused to drop character during production of Gangs, and even took butchery classes to play a butcher more realistically. For The Last of the Mohicans, the man got swole, learned how to survive in the woods, and learned how to make his own loving canoe.

He's incredibly compelling in any role because he puts an insane amount of research and work into his craft.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
And for "In the Name of the Father" he actually blew up some British cops.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Daniel Day-Lewis is one of the greatest living actors. He refused to drop character during production of Gangs, and even took butchery classes to play a butcher more realistically. For The Last of the Mohicans, the man got swole, learned how to survive in the woods, and learned how to make his own loving canoe.

He's incredibly compelling in any role because he puts an insane amount of research and work into his craft.

I guess I think it's an incredibly dumb practice. Plenty of actors do great work and don't do any of that poo poo. By that metric, Jared Leto is incredible because apparently he sent used condoms and bullets to cast mates to get into character as the Joker.

Is Daniel Day Lewis just walking around during lunch breaks pretending to be a gangster?

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

Bertrand Hustle posted:

One of? Who's better?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Bertrand Hustle posted:

He should try acting, it's much easier.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

CubanMissile posted:

One of? Who's better?

Anthony Hopkins
Bruce Willis
Amy Adams

I'm kidding about Bruce Willis

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Mu Zeta posted:

Anthony Hopkins
Bruce Willis
Amy Adams

I'm kidding about Bruce Willis

Yeah but how do we know?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

He was genuinely good in 12 Monkeys.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Hudson HAwk as well

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

THE jackal
Rugrats go wild
Alpha Dog
Black mamba

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Gorilla Salad posted:

Fine, if we're doing the prequels, why didn't Anakin ever go back and free his mother or ask his girlfriend (a loving queen) to buy her freedom?

His mother was freed. She married a dirt farmer, and was out on her own when the sandpeople kidnapped her.

This is important because Anakin whole deal going forward is that he wants to control the future. If he frees Padme she will die, like his mother did.

Tarantula
Nov 4, 2009

No go ahead stand in the fire, the healer will love the shit out of you.
To ad to the whole star wars thing, why when jedi are more common doesn't anyone use a gun with lead bullets? I can't imagine they would be that much worse than the lasers and if you find yourself against a jedi they sure as gently caress can't block it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

^^^ There's at least one scene in the original trilogy where physical objects are deflected with a lightsabre.

Mu Zeta posted:

I guess I think it's an incredibly dumb practice. Plenty of actors do great work and don't do any of that poo poo. By that metric, Jared Leto is incredible because apparently he sent used condoms and bullets to cast mates to get into character as the Joker.

There's a difference between what Lewis does and what Leto did. Lewis learns the skills and takes on the handicaps of the person he's playing so that as little as possible of his performance is fake. Leto wanted to do the same thing when he was cast as the Joker, but decided to imitate a madman by being an rear end in a top hat.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Tarantula posted:

To ad to the whole star wars thing, why when jedi are more common doesn't anyone use a gun with lead bullets? I can't imagine they would be that much worse than the lasers and if you find yourself against a jedi they sure as gently caress can't block it.

Wouldn't a light sabre just obliterate bullets?

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Tunicate posted:

He should try acting, it's much easier.

I really enjoy the context of that quote.

Dustin Hoffman posted:

And what accompanied him saying "Why don't you just try acting?" ... He laughed, because he said, you know, "I'm one to talk." And then he was actually the first one that told me about risking his life every night jumping whatever it was twenty feet in the last act of Hamlet. And the truth of it is I didn't just stay up three days and three nights for the scene; it was a good excuse, because these were the days of wine and roses in Studio 54.

On the one hand, it's a great moment, illustrating two actors' different approaches. On the other, they were both just talking poo poo.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

Tarantula posted:

if they can melt through thick metal doors in seconds I'm pretty sure a bullet would get hosed up hardcore by a lightsabre

Tarantula
Nov 4, 2009

No go ahead stand in the fire, the healer will love the shit out of you.

dordreff posted:

if they can melt through thick metal doors in seconds I'm pretty sure a bullet would get hosed up hardcore by a lightsabre

Yea but wouldn't the melted bit of metal keep flying into the face of the jedi?

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

The Expanse (books, haven't seen the show yet) handle traditional firearms well. In a 0-g environment, that recoil that we always see movies do is actually a thing. They handwave it with recoilless handguns (I would love to see a handheld Carl Gustav) but they treat ships accelerating correctly so hey.

E: Star Wars is specifically a long rear end time ago in a galaxy far far away. A galaxy where they haven't progressed past a semi feudal system and a galaxy where they elected Jar-Jar Binks the senator of whatever. Sure they have blasters and lightsabers but do you think they actually understand how to make them? Remember these morons made Jar-Jar Binks the head of something important.

goatsestretchgoals has a new favorite as of 12:16 on Jan 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

oldpainless posted:

Hudson HAwk as well

People who dis on this are the worst

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8KvM3vZo0w

Now Planet Hollywood vanity bands