Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

sit on my Facebook posted:

Wasn't that when you playing Jace killed their Jace? Or both Jaces maybe? I can't remember anymore.

Yeah, the old legend/planeswalker rule was that if two were in play, they both died immediately. (Basically the same as it is now, but it looked at both sides of the table).

There was an even older (pre-planeswalkers) legend rule that if one was in play, you couldn't even cast another one. That would have been super obnoxious if it wasn't for the fact that legends back then mostly sucked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

Grey Hunter's next target.

Jabor posted:

Yeah, the old legend/planeswalker rule was that if two were in play, they both died immediately. (Basically the same as it is now, but it looked at both sides of the table).

There was an even older (pre-planeswalkers) legend rule that if one was in play, you couldn't even cast another one. That would have been super obnoxious if it wasn't for the fact that legends back then mostly sucked.

When they didn't, though, it was pretty awful.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Jabor posted:

Rogue0071 posted:

When they weren't, though, it was pretty awful.

Also green decks playing Tolarian Academy and zero artifacts just so they could Crop Rotation for it when playing against Academy decks.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
Jitte too in decks with little creatures.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
Hahaha a few days ago I bought 4 Saheelis because I figured I would pick up all the cheap planeswalkers.

Glad my accidental timing was so good. It shipped yesterday.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Pontius Pilate posted:

Jitte too in decks with little creatures.

This was my heyday, when every deck ran 4 Jitte just to kill other Jittes. It was rough and changing the legendary rule was a very good thing.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!
Doesn't the Copycat combo give you infinite hasty tokens? Why do you need other ways to take advantage of infinite ETBs?

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.
I feel there's going to be a lot of these slotted into sideboards shortly:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

ManMythLegend posted:

Did they know?

I think they actually might've known!

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Thalia works too.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Zemyla posted:

Doesn't the Copycat combo give you infinite hasty tokens? Why do you need other ways to take advantage of infinite ETBs?
I guess it lets you combo off with just double cat.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!
Also, there's a way to get through with the Crackdown Construct combo even on a clogged board.

EDIT: And another 0-mana activated ability to go infinite with.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Wouldn't this also require infinite equipment, or can you continue to target the same piece that's already attached to him?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Why not? It doesn't say "target Equipment not attached to Toll Collector" does it?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Zemyla posted:

Also, there's a way to get through with the Crackdown Construct combo even on a clogged board.

EDIT: And another 0-mana activated ability to go infinite with.

alternatively you can built to smash or, better yet, slip through space so you don't have to use a creature that costs a million mana

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Elyv posted:

alternatively you can built to smash or, better yet, slip through space so you don't have to use a creature that costs a million mana

You could literally just run construct, fumaroles, expedite, and slip through space and have everything else be card draw and counterspells/targeted removal.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I

ManMythLegend posted:

Completely forgot about this card lol. nevermind splinter twin

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Terrible Horse posted:

that card might actually be a reason to run the construct/fumarole combo in addition, as a way of getting around that

i have no clue if that's good mind you, i'm not really a combo deck kind of person

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Terrible Horse posted:

the entire point of twin decks past around the second iteration or so was to use the threat of the combo to manipulate what your opponent could play and when they could play it, you know.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
We already had a one mana enchantment that hosed Twin, anyway.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Just wanted to say how infuriating it is that I can't watch GP Louisville.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

mcmagic posted:

Dead format that doesn't sell packs

-WoTC

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

80s James Hetfield posted:

Dead format that doesn't sell packs

-WoTC

actually GP Louisville isn't Standard

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Shots Fired.

I'm sure some marketing gimboid somewhere is like "If you cover an eternal format the players will get confused and wont' be as excited about AER" as if the magic population are all imbeciles completely unable to be excited about two things at once.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

SoftNum posted:

as if the magic population are all imbeciles

to be fair, we pay dozens if not hundreds of dollars for small colorful pieces of cardboard so they'd be forgiven for thinking this

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
Magic players are top 3 dumbest along with moba players and people who care about the differences between melee and other smash games.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

black potus posted:

Magic players are top 3 dumbest along with moba players and people who care about the differences between melee and other smash games.

You forgot MMO players somewhere in there, also people who spend money on Facebook games.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

mcmagic posted:

Yup, streaming this stupid poo poo over GP Louisville is dumb as hell.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Yup, streaming this stupid poo poo over GP Louisville is dumb as hell.

Legacy doesn't make money, new set does.

Dumb as hell yes. Financially unsound? No.

The real shame is I wanted to hope someone was playing Oops All Spells

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Count Bleck posted:

While there is some merit to your point there is also some merit to constantly making decisions that piss off your fanbase isn't good financially.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Sickening posted:

While there is some merit to your point there is also some merit to constantly making decisions that piss off your fanbase isn't good financially.

Well yeah but when has WotC ever made decisions that didn't piss off at least somebody?

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

Count Bleck posted:

Well yeah but when has WotC ever made decisions that didn't piss off at least somebody?

You absolutely cannot please everyone. You could include actual money in the packs and people would poo poo bricks about it somewhere.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Count Bleck posted:

There's a difference between "piss off somebody" and "please nobody"

Like,

What's the point of printing this then actively choosing to tank the only place it'd be played?

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Count Bleck posted:

It's called Breakfast Burrito you neanderthal

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

What's the point of printing this then actively choosing to tank the only place it'd be played?

They're not actively tanking it, they're ignoring it. Which is what you do when you are a company that survives on growth and you have a product where growth is impossible.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

They're not actively tanking it, they're ignoring it. Which is what you do when you are a company that survives on growth and you have a product where growth is impossible.

Maybe they could sell some cards instead.

The Shortest Path posted:

It's called Breakfast Burrito you neanderthal

I just looked that up. I don't know what I'm looking at. Is it the legendary Chupacabra?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

And yet they made product for it anyway?! :confused:

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

And yet they made product for it anyway?! :confused:

To be fair, it might as well be called Commander Masters.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Count Bleck posted:

To be fair, it might as well be called Commander Masters.

Let's get a Commander Draft going.

Everybody bring ten packs, let's do this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Soul Glo posted:

Let's get a Commander Draft going.

Everybody bring ten packs, let's do this.

I'm down as gently caress.

• Locked thread