Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

GPTribefan posted:

If this is where I think it is, the whole area needs rejuvenated. When I was a kid, it was vibrant and flourishing - the only things left in the whole section of town now are a few fast food places, a strip joint, and a bank branch. It will be sad to see the mall torn down, as it was such a big part of my childhood, but something has to be done with all that wasted land.

Affordable housing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot
Our local mall has a food court with 1 eatery lol.

And somehow our Sears is still staying open there. They must own the spot because there's a Target in the same mall that is always busy and Sears never has anyone in it

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Automatic Slim posted:

Affordable housing.

They'd probably rather have a dead mall filled with squatters

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Grand Prize Winner posted:

They'd probably rather have a dead mall filled with squatters

That is highly affordable!

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians

bongwizzard posted:

That is highly affordable!

This was the place where someone died on the roof trying to get the last remnants of copper wire from the building. They refused to tear the place down or even sell it - would be a perfect area for low-cost housing if they can ever get their poo poo together.

Meanwhile, slightly to the north, another mall gets its death rattle. Macy's left last year and now the Sears is closing. Only 1 anchor left and it already lost a restaurant, all the businesses on the 4 street perimeter, and a bunch of tenants inside. The place has 2 years tops :(

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
A short article on JNCO. They say it's coming back but goddamn, I don't know about that.

Also apparently they marketed JNCO as a "suburban" brand and didn't want to sell to stores that sold FUBU. drat, if that's not obvious.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
[quote="frakeaing HAMSTER DANCE" post=""46805426"]
Our local mall has a food court with 1 eatery lol.

And somehow our Sears is still staying open there. They must own the spot because there's a Target in the same mall that is always busy and Sears never has anyone in it
[/quote]

Our local dying mall has two. A Wendys that I think gets by on selling lunches to people working at the remaining stores, and a fancy popcorn place. Generic pizza and Chinese food places shut down but the popcorn remains. Someone must be laundering money through it or something, because it not only never had customers, it rarely ever has staff.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Bean posted:

A short article on JNCO. They say it's coming back but goddamn, I don't know about that.

Also apparently they marketed JNCO as a "suburban" brand and didn't want to sell to stores that sold FUBU. drat, if that's not obvious.

I'm genuinely surprised that JNCO still exists. As far as fashion trends go that was easily one of the dumbest. It also didn't last very long. Like, hey...let's all buy enormous pants that make it hard to walk! I do so love to repeatedly trip and fall on my face just walking to the next room.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
JNCO jeans holy poo poo :stare: takes me back

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.
Speaking of dead malls, the mall I went to as a teenager in north Kansas City was recently torn down (the mall I went to as a child was Meadows Mall in Las Vegas---have no idea of how it's doing today). When it closed completely in 2014 it was pretty dead anyway, with only a few stores open (including the couldn't-be-killed wig shop that must have been there for forty years). Anyway, it made the news not too long ago as being the creepiest abandoned mall when a guy made a video exploring it. It's so weird to see it so abandoned as I remember when it was flourishing. But Target opened across the street, and then Wal-Mart about a mile or two away and the entire area started to die. There was a movie theater in the mall that closed, and two movie theaters in the area closed up when the big AMC Barry Woods theater opened. The strip mall that the Target is in isn't doing too well either, as near Wal-Mart a new outdoor mall, Zona Rosa, opened and another Target opened not too far from there. When I moved the area in 1996 there wasn't much around but it has really exploded in the 20 years since.

That concludes the history of this sad area of Barry Road in Kansas City.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9u9WJ3YktOk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i55FflaNZSg

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
The Limited just announced it was going out of business. Closing 150 stores.

I'm surprised it's still around. I guess it's one of those places that you just sorta of glaze over when you're walking through the mall. I figured it had gone the way of The Structure years ago.

Mall retail fashion is becoming a loving mass grave.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Krispy Kareem posted:

I'm surprised it's still around. I guess it's one of those places that you just sorta of glaze over when you're walking through the mall. I figured it had gone the way of The Structure years ago.

I had no idea they were even in biz. That's some good marketing!

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

bean_shadow posted:

Speaking of dead malls, the mall I went to as a teenager in north Kansas City was recently torn down (the mall I went to as a child was Meadows Mall in Las Vegas---have no idea of how it's doing today). When it closed completely in 2014 it was pretty dead anyway, with only a few stores open (including the couldn't-be-killed wig shop that must have been there for forty years). Anyway, it made the news not too long ago as being the creepiest abandoned mall when a guy made a video exploring it. It's so weird to see it so abandoned as I remember when it was flourishing. But Target opened across the street, and then Wal-Mart about a mile or two away and the entire area started to die. There was a movie theater in the mall that closed, and two movie theaters in the area closed up when the big AMC Barry Woods theater opened. The strip mall that the Target is in isn't doing too well either, as near Wal-Mart a new outdoor mall, Zona Rosa, opened and another Target opened not too far from there. When I moved the area in 1996 there wasn't much around but it has really exploded in the 20 years since.

Don't the homeless break in constantly to get out of the cold? I would.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

bean_shadow posted:

Meadows Mall is hanging in there. Which surprises me because that was considered the "ghetto mall" when I was a teenager in the late 90's.

Edit: though the further decline of the area and it being anchored by Sears and JC Penney don't bode well for it: http://m.reviewjournal.com/business/retail/meadows-mall-endures-odd-mall-out

CubanMissile has a new favorite as of 19:11 on Jan 7, 2017

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Honestly I'm surprised all of those single store brands for clothing haven't collapsed faster in the Internet age

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I am still shocked by the sheer number of malls in America. There was only one near me in the UK and that was a lot further than just nipping down to the shops and had nothing else in it. I can't believe teenagers/ young adults used to hang out in them. We usually just went to a park and got smashed on cheap booze.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Krispy Kareem posted:

Wow, I haven't thought of The Limited since my sister worked there right out of high school in 1988. Did not know they were still in business.

Also hadn't thought about Structure in years since an old family acquaintance got me some clothes from there for Christmas circa 1997. I had to go Structure to exchange for 2x, which was impossible because they only sold clothing for tiny elf men and not men like me who are built like Chief Bromden from One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. I think I got a gift card instead that I never used.

Now Sears sells Structure clothing :mmmhmm:

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

We were somewhere around the Living Hive, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

I worked at The Limited about 6 or 7 years ago as a part-time manager. Easily one of the dumbest companies I've ever worked for with some of the worst policies towards both their staff and their customers. I had a GM who didn't know how to convert time to decimals; for example, if someone had worked 8 hours and 30 minutes one day and 7 hours and 45 mins another, she would add it up mid-week by punching 8.3 + 7.45 into her calculator, so surprise! Payroll was always hosed up. Her solution? Secretly clock everyone out early on the last day of the workweek so no one got paid for their last few hours of work. One of the other assistant managers complained to HR about her, and their response was pretty much :shrug:

That, along with their draconian return policy (no return without valid government ID even with a receipt, only five returns allowed per person per month), requiring managers to sell loving magazine subscriptions at the register, and telling the 18 year old sales associates who made minimum wage and were scheduled for four hours a week that signing up for the store credit card (only 24.99% APR!) was "mandatory"...

:byewhore:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Josef bugman posted:

I am still shocked by the sheer number of malls in America. There was only one near me in the UK and that was a lot further than just nipping down to the shops and had nothing else in it. I can't believe teenagers/ young adults used to hang out in them. We usually just went to a park and got smashed on cheap booze.

That's what the mall was for, only instead of trees and swing sets there were fountains and food courts.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

pastor of muppets posted:

I worked at The Limited about 6 or 7 years ago as a part-time manager. Easily one of the dumbest companies I've ever worked for with some of the worst policies towards both their staff and their customers. I had a GM who didn't know how to convert time to decimals; for example, if someone had worked 8 hours and 30 minutes one day and 7 hours and 45 mins another, she would add it up mid-week by punching 8.3 + 7.45 into her calculator, so surprise! Payroll was always hosed up. Her solution? Secretly clock everyone out early on the last day of the workweek so no one got paid for their last few hours of work. One of the other assistant managers complained to HR about her, and their response was pretty much :shrug:

That, along with their draconian return policy (no return without valid government ID even with a receipt, only five returns allowed per person per month), requiring managers to sell loving magazine subscriptions at the register, and telling the 18 year old sales associates who made minimum wage and were scheduled for four hours a week that signing up for the store credit card (only 24.99% APR!) was "mandatory"...

:byewhore:

If this is real and you can prove it a lawyer can make you and themselves very very rich.

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

We were somewhere around the Living Hive, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

I really wish I had documented that poo poo. All I can say is that I was young and just trying to get by and finish college and thought the best I could do was pull these girls aside and make sure they knew that the no one could require them to sign up for anything. :(

e: The payroll stuff at the very least we could have made a very strong case to a labor law attorney, but again, it was reported to HR (who did nothing) and never actually escalated beyond that. I tried at the very least to make sure everyone's time was corrected if I was the manager who happened to be scheduled the day that the final payroll report was to be submitted each week.

pastor of muppets has a new favorite as of 20:40 on Jan 7, 2017

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Josef bugman posted:

The key is that most American suburbs didn't(and usually still don't) have anywhere else to hang out for that age group. Few parks, most entertainment options geared towards older people & little kids, nowhere interesting to walk to, etc.

That and we love huge, strictly separated commercial areas instead of having clusters of local shops dotted all over the place. Malls make a lot more sense in that context.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Watch Fast Times at Ridgemont High for what American malls were like in their heyday in the 1980s.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

They still make people have to get credit card sign ups to work their jobs at places like Sears

Karatela
Sep 11, 2001

Clickzorz!!!

Grimey Drawer

FlamingLiberal posted:

They still make people have to get credit card sign ups to work their jobs at places like Sears

Signing up customers as a requirement is poo poo, but (slightly) less poo poo than forcing the cashiers themselves to sign up as well, I'd think?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Ok I may have misread that

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Solice Kirsk posted:

If this is real and you can prove it a lawyer can make you and themselves very very rich.

Probably not now that the company is going out of business.

I like how they went about it. The company filed some paperwork in November associated with mass layoffs and then had 80% off sales during the holidays with no returns allowed. Kind of an unspoken liquidation. There's zero chance anyone associated with the company had any illusions about what was happening. Better than the usual method of announcing the closings and then selling all their inventory to a 3rd party who discounts it 10% and calls it a firesale.

Our permanent-temporary-wife's-cousin-of-a-houseguest has been slowly working her way up at Express (shift lead, up for assistant manager). I feel bad for her since she's investing all this time in a lovely retail job that will probably disappear in a couple of years and she'll never move out. 2016 was the year people started being comfortable buying clothes online since both Kohl's and Macy's had lovely sales.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

How? That can't be legal. The credit card for employees stuff I mean.

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

Solice Kirsk posted:

I'm sure it wasn't an official policy in that you weren't allowed to work there unless you signed up for the CC (I definitely did not), but the corporate culture of "how can they sell the brand if they don't live it??" coupled with the strong push for store managers to get high credit card sign-up numbers meant that a lot of this was allowed to happen at the store level without anyone batting an eye. I still remember sitting in on weekly conference calls with the DM and the rest of the MODs in the district and there being discussion of ways to bolster credit card signups and the first thing the DM said was to start with the employees themselves. I actually had to mute the call one time to stifle my laughter when some one brought up that their employees were questioning how they were expected to promote predatory credit policies at the height of the recession and the DM being SHOCKED that anyone would think that. :ironicat:

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

Solice Kirsk posted:

:lol: if you think corporate culture in the US gives a flying gently caress about what's legal when it comes to labor practices. They'll pay pennies on the dollar in fines, and find someone else to replace any workers that complain in days.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Need more whistle blowers. I wish I worked somewhere that was that corrupt. The most I can say is that my commissions are getting cut "to benefit the clients" even though none of the fees or programs designed to fine them are being rescinded.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I can't imagine that kind of behavior lasting very long with audio/video recorders in everyone's pocket. Of course, then the business just claims it was rogue low-level managers acting on their own.

You also need to know how to tape record conversations. We had a manager at my job who tried recording his boss' yelling and verbal abuse. About halfway through the meeting his recorder filled up its storage and started autoplaying everything it had just recorded. A re-org announced the following week had one less managerial position.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

If you work at Saks you have to get the credit card or you don't get any employee discounts. You have to charge your purchase to the Saks card or the register won't give you your discount.

zh1
Dec 21, 2010

by Smythe
i work for a lovely discount retailer and i've seen so much heinous poo poo it doesn't matter to me anymore. this is a company that's paid record osha fines and continues to do the same poo poo, it just (like every other company as alluded to earlier in the thread) scapegoats store management for its own problems. regional and corporate oversight is at best nonexistent and at worst actively deleterious. sadly, this fortune 500 company actually does well and is expanding

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
Labor laws can't exist in right to work states. They can always be like "Cool, don't sign up for the card" and then remove you from the schedule the next week because they don't like your eye color.

zh1
Dec 21, 2010

by Smythe
i was told to fire an employee and to "just tell him he was seasonal and temporary" and he isn't seasonal or temporary. we hire temporary people at christmas but this guy was put in as a regular employee. do i fire him and gently caress him over and risk getting sued or do i do the right thing and let him keep working and risk the ire of my moron childish boss? never a good answer, here in retail hell, FL

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Retail and Florida.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

zh1 posted:

i was told to fire an employee and to "just tell him he was seasonal and temporary" and he isn't seasonal or temporary. we hire temporary people at christmas but this guy was put in as a regular employee. do i fire him and gently caress him over and risk getting sued or do i do the right thing and let him keep working and risk the ire of my moron childish boss? never a good answer, here in retail hell, FL

Florida goon here. You don't need a reason to fire somebody, as long as it's not for racially or other protected class reasons.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

zh1 posted:

whiteyfats posted:

Florida goon here. You don't need a reason to fire somebody, as long as it's not for racially or other protected class reasons.

I think most of the US is "right to work" these days, which is code for "right to shitcan you for no reason at any time so you don't qualify for unemployment." So don't worry about getting sued. Do worry about you getting fired, then him too if you disobey your lovely overlord boss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

13Pandora13 posted:

I think most of the US is "right to work" these days, which is code for "right to shitcan you for no reason at any time so you don't qualify for unemployment." So don't worry about getting sued. Do worry about you getting fired, then him too if you disobey your lovely overlord boss.

No it isn't, shitbrains.