Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

OGDanDogg posted:

Could you elaborate on the last part? I know that separate accounts is important if you're doing the roth conversion horse race relations recharacterization madness, but that doesn't seem to be what you're talking about.

Separate accounts specifically will not protect you, the irs would look across all amounts for any deductible contributions when considering taxation of a rollover to roth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

pr0zac posted:

Follow-up backdoor Roth IRA question. If I expect my net income to drop significantly from 2016->2017->2018 I should wait to do the conversion from IRA->Roth IRA after my income has dropped because I am taxed on the conversion amount correct? Theres no benefit to doing it immediately that I'm missing?

The conversion funds become available for withdrawal as contributions in 5 years. See roth ladder for early retirement types.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Ropes4u posted:

Theoretically if someone were to retire in 3 years at the age of 55, could they access their 401k funds without penalty?

Gotta be 59 1/2 or have special circumstances to cash out a 401k with no penalty.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Gotta be 59 1/2 or have special circumstances to cash out a 401k with no penalty.

Nope, just Google 401k 55 rule.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

baquerd posted:

Nope, just Google 401k 55 rule.

Doh, you're right. I was just thinking of the standard withdrawal rules.

OGDanDogg
Sep 16, 2002

baquerd posted:

Separate accounts specifically will not protect you, the irs would look across all amounts for any deductible contributions when considering taxation of a rollover to roth.

I think I may have muddied the issue by bringing up separate accounts and the roth horserace (http://www.madfientist.com/roth-ira-horse-race/). I was just wondering what "rules" were involved in the statement "And remember first that you can't have any non-Roth IRA balances unless you want to pay taxes because of rules."

Edit: After some investigation, I think this has to do with having a traditional IRA with after-tax contributions. If you have multiple IRAs with a mix of pre and post-tax contributions, the IRS considers the overall ratio across accounts when determining what's taxable during the conversion.

OGDanDogg fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jan 6, 2017

Blinky2099
May 27, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
why would we have to pay tax on a Traditional IRA -> Roth IRA conversion if the traditional IRA was funded with after-tax dollars from our bank accounts?

Or do you only have to pay additional taxes if you somehow had a pre-tax traditional IRA (does that even exist? I thought it didn't)

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

baquerd posted:

The conversion funds become available for withdrawal as contributions in 5 years. See roth ladder for early retirement types.

Unfortunately nothing in this post makes any sense to me in a way that answers my question.

Ok reread it a few times, I think you're saying one benefit of doing the conversion immediately is I will be able to withdrawal the contributions sooner? Everything in my traditional IRA is a 401k rollover, so I don't think that applies to me. I don't plan on touching anything in my Roth until retirement anyway since I have plenty in taxable accounts.

Will read on roth ladders.

pr0zac fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jan 6, 2017

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

Blinky2099 posted:

why would we have to pay tax on a Traditional IRA -> Roth IRA conversion if the traditional IRA was funded with after-tax dollars from our bank accounts?

Or do you only have to pay additional taxes if you somehow had a pre-tax traditional IRA (does that even exist? I thought it didn't)

A pretax traditional IRA is typically the only kind of traditional IRA, and it's the whole point of it.

Blinky2099
May 27, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Droo posted:

A pretax traditional IRA is typically the only kind of traditional IRA, and it's the whole point of it.
oh

I guess I'm still completely confused as to how one would go about depositing into a traditional IRA with pretax dollars. I already deposited into a Vanguard Traditional IRA with post-tax dollars from my bank account.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
You get a deduction when you file your taxes, if you remember to claim it.

OGDanDogg
Sep 16, 2002
I'm basing all of my potential misinformation/misinterpretations from the pro-rata section on http://www.goodfinancialcents.com/roth-ira-conversion-tax-rules/

It had never occurred to me that you would even put post-tax money into a non-Roth IRA once taxes are filed (since I've always had employer 401ks), so that's why I was confused as to how you could even have weird tax considerations in a Roth rollover other than "it's all considered income."

OGDanDogg fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jan 6, 2017

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

OGDanDogg posted:

I think I may have muddied the issue by bringing up separate accounts and the roth horserace (http://www.madfientist.com/roth-ira-horse-race/). I was just wondering what "rules" were involved in the statement "And remember first that you can't have any non-Roth IRA balances unless you want to pay taxes because of rules."

Edit: After some investigation, I think this has to do with having a traditional IRA with after-tax contributions. If you have multiple IRAs with a mix of pre and post-tax contributions, the IRS considers the overall ratio across accounts when determining what's taxable during the conversion.

Correct, Google 'pro-rata rule' which has all the information. If you want a clean backdoor Roth with no taxes due, you want to have nothing in traditional IRA accounts.

OGDanDogg
Sep 16, 2002
Thanks for confirming. Luckily my situation is fairly simple, as I have a small balance employer 401k that I transferred to vanguard that I will be slowly converting to my roth account.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Better start saving more outside of my 401k unless I'm tired of working is an acceptable circumstance...

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Ropes4u posted:

Better start saving more outside of my 401k unless I'm tired of working is an acceptable circumstance...

It was posted right after my original post, but the 59 1/2 rule is the standard withdrawal rule.

If you decide to retire full time or get fired after 55, then you can withdraw without the 10% penalty.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Tangentially related to IRAs and backdoors, I've got a quick question about limits that I think I already know the answer to. Non-sheltered capital gains count toward your MAGI for Roth IRA eligibility, right?

On salary and bonuses minus 401k/HSA I'll be close but not over the Roth IRA phase out limit. No problem there. But this year I'm considering selling a bunch of equities in my taxable portfolio that have gained substantially in the last 5 years. As in approximately doubled. It'd be for putting toward a new car, so it'd be in the 20-30k range, which would mean about 10-15k in additional capital gains income for the year. Assuming no big upheavals this year, that extra 10-15k would likely push me into Roth IRA phase out territory.

If I'm intending to do this, would it be wise for me to do a backdoor just in case? I don't have any traditional IRA holdings at all right now. Or I suppose I could just finance more of the theoretical car since rates are so low and not recognize as many gains, but that's really just pushing off the "problem" until later.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Yes, it counts. There's no drawback to using the backdoor all the time, except your funds stay uninvested for another day or two.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

It was posted right after my original post, but the 59 1/2 rule is the standard withdrawal rule.

If you decide to retire full time or get fired after 55, then you can withdraw without the 10% penalty.

Am I screwed if I roll into consulting or do some pet time contract work?

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

Ropes4u posted:

Is dog walking really that lucrative? :downsrim:

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Ropes4u posted:

No, you just have to no longer have the job that provided the original 401k account.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Just to clarify a bit more, you ARE responsible for taxes when doing a Trad IRA --> Roth IRA conversion when doing the backdoor. But, you are only responsible if the value of the Trad IRA increases while your funds settle. I just did mine and there's ~1 week of where the money is in your Trad IRA and before you can exchange it into the Roth. Whatever gains you make on your $5500 in that week (mine are $57 right now between Jan 2 and now), you are responsible for taxes on, not the whole balance.

Blinky2099
May 27, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Just to clarify a bit more, you ARE responsible for taxes when doing a Trad IRA --> Roth IRA conversion when doing the backdoor. But, you are only responsible if the value of the Trad IRA increases while your funds settle. I just did mine and there's ~1 week of where the money is in your Trad IRA and before you can exchange it into the Roth. Whatever gains you make on your $5500 in that week (mine are $57 right now between Jan 2 and now), you are responsible for taxes on, not the whole balance.

I made the mistake of investing it into a fund rather than just waiting for the money market thing to clear so it'll probably be even longer to clear for me but whatever, if the market goes up by a significant amount enough for me to care about the taxes and 10% penalty on the gains then the rest of my accounts will have increased to the point where I can quit my job and retire early so I don't think it's gonna be a big deal. I guess it's just something to take into account when doing taxes but I assume Vanguard will send me that form in time for 2017 filing.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

My 401k allows me to contribute to a Roth. I can't decide if I should start maxing that out or if I should open a regular investment account.

I am 52, she is 40
100-135k a year income
Currently maxing my traditional 401k
401k is in 2 vanguard target retirement index funds.

I can easily contribute another 5% so I don't see a down side but maybe I am missing something.

Edit: I am also eligible for catch-up contributions which means I can save myself into poverty.

Ropes4u fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jan 7, 2017

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Ropes4u posted:

My 401k allows me to contribute to a Roth. I can't decide if I should start maxing that out or if I should open a regular investment account.

I am 52, she is 40
100-135k a year income
Currently maxing my traditional 401k
401k is in 2 vanguard target retirement index funds.

I can easily contribute another 5% so I don't see a down side but maybe I am missing something.

Edit: I am also eligible for catch-up contributions which means I can save myself into poverty.

Is that your combined salary? Are you married?

Those questions aside, you don't get to contribute anything more to a roth 401k since you are maxing in traditional 401k. You'd have to contribute less to the trad to open space up for the roth.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

What retirement investment vehicles are open to disabled folks? My mom's not yet retirement age, has some cash she'd like to invest for a couple more decades, but she's permanently disabled and can't work. As such, it doesn't seem like 401k or IRAs are open to her. When I Google this sort of stuff I see that most early withdrawal penalties for retirement accounts disappear if someone becomes disabled, but I don't see much in the way of contribution options.

Is she limited to taxable investments?

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

baquerd posted:

Is that your combined salary? Are you married?

Those questions aside, you don't get to contribute anything more to a roth 401k since you are maxing in traditional 401k. You'd have to contribute less to the trad to open space up for the roth.

Married, three grown kids on their own, she is a stay at home cook and professional dog walker.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

What retirement investment vehicles are open to disabled folks? My mom's not yet retirement age, has some cash she'd like to invest for a couple more decades, but she's permanently disabled and can't work. As such, it doesn't seem like 401k or IRAs are open to her. When I Google this sort of stuff I see that most early withdrawal penalties for retirement accounts disappear if someone becomes disabled, but I don't see much in the way of contribution options.

Is she limited to taxable investments?
The relevant rule here is that your reported annual income on your federal taxes must be at least what you contribute to the IRA. Does she have any income at all (like disability payments)?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

ShadowHawk posted:

The relevant rule here is that your reported annual income on your federal taxes must be at least what you contribute to the IRA. Does she have any income at all (like disability payments)?
I think she collects social security but that's not taxable income AFAIK.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

They are taxable...but only if you make over 25k already.

If you have a giant pool of savings in a taxable account you may be able to structure it such that you can claim the income from it as non long-term capital gains. And, presumably, this scheme only makes sense if you have a bunch of savings waiting to get into a retirement account, so that might be your best bet. Won't work if your investments shrink over the year due to market contraction, though.

edit: nope, this is taxable interest but not earned income

ShadowHawk fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Jan 7, 2017

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

She can't contribute to any kind of IRA without "earned" income.

https://www.irs.gov/credits-deductions/individuals/earned-income-tax-credit/earned-income

She could contribute to an HSA if she has a qualifying health insurance policy, or a 529 plan which obviously has to be spent on schooling for someone or gets penalized. I can't think of anything that would really accomplish what you want though. If your mom is permanently disabled and on disability it is likely that she is in either the 10% or 15% tax bracket, in which case her dividend and long term capital gains tax rates are 0% anyway. So as of right now at least, her taxable account is probably functionally identical to a Roth IRA anyway.

Edit: if she's married she could contribute to an IRA based on spousal income. But I'm assuming you would have mentioned that.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Droo posted:

She can't contribute to any kind of IRA without "earned" income.

https://www.irs.gov/credits-deductions/individuals/earned-income-tax-credit/earned-income.
Right, my research thus far got me to me that roadblock.

Droo posted:

I can't think of anything that would really accomplish what you want though. If your mom is permanently disabled and on disability it is likely that she is in either the 10% or 15% tax bracket, in which case her dividend and long term capital gains tax rates are 0% anyway. So as of right now at least, her taxable account is probably functionally identical to a Roth IRA anyway.
Sort of glad to see I wasn't overlooking something obvious. Thanks for the confirmation. I'll probably just end up setting her up with a taxable account at Vanguard then.

Thanks again everyone.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Jan 7, 2017

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Droo posted:

Edit: if she's married she could contribute to an IRA based on spousal income. But I'm assuming you would have mentioned that.
Married and he's retired, I believe drawing some sort of pension. HSA doesn't sound like an option since I don't think they have HDHP.

Edit: now I'm wondering if his pension means she's not collecting SSDI anymore. I need to find out more about her exact income sources. Either way I still don't see how I get a large sum of money into tax-advantaged space for her.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Jan 7, 2017

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Kind of a simple question, but if all of my income is going to be W-2 moving forward, as a single, unmarried person my maximum tax-advantaged retirement space is only 5.5k (IRA) + 18k (401k), correct? The rest has to go in regular accounts? When I married and my spouse works, it doubles, correct?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Residency Evil posted:

Kind of a simple question, but if all of my income is going to be W-2 moving forward, as a single, unmarried person my maximum tax-advantaged retirement space is only 5.5k (IRA) + 18k (401k), correct? The rest has to go in regular accounts? When I married and my spouse works, it doubles, correct?
I think you could start playing with backdoor Roth stuff to get more money into tax-advantaged vehicles, but I also don't understand those well enough to say for sure. Lots of discussion the last page or so though.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

I think you could start playing with backdoor Roth stuff to get more money into tax-advantaged vehicles, but I also don't understand those well enough to say for sure. Lots of discussion the last page or so though.

I was counting the Backdoor Roth as part of the IRA. Can I open both a Roth IRA as well as an IRA for a total of 11k/year?

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

Residency Evil posted:

As a doctor I imagine your company is already maxing out your pension/profit sharing/whatever they call it for another ~$36,000? If not, under the right set of circumstances you could potentially do a mega backdoor roth 401k contribution depending on your 401k plan rules.

If you have no control over the employer benefits situation, there isn't really much else you can do though. Once you get married, your limit doesn't double - your spouse must be eligible for her own 401k plan at her own job, and have her own paycheck reduced to fund it. You could pretty much always fund her IRA for her though.

Residency Evil posted:

I was counting the Backdoor Roth as part of the IRA. Can I open both a Roth IRA as well as an IRA for a total of 11k/year?

No

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
Find a high level job at a non-profit hospital where you're eligible for the bomb-rear end super-combo of the 403 (b) for up to $52,000 and a 457 for an additional $18,000 and then marry another physician at the same hospital for the patently absurd $140,000 of tax protected pre-tax and Roth money.

Blinky2099
May 27, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
getting a job with an after tax 401k plan into whatever its called, super mega backdoor roth conversion for 52k is the dream. it seems like highly compensated employee issues often prevent employers from being able to offer this but its worth a try.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Find a high level job at a non-profit hospital where you're eligible for the bomb-rear end super-combo of the 403 (b) for up to $52,000 and a 457 for an additional $18,000 and then marry another physician at the same hospital for the patently absurd $140,000 of tax protected pre-tax and Roth money.

:ssh:

I need to figure out what my exact retirement plan is going to be, but hopefully it's this.