Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
https://twitter.com/istvan_ujhelyi/status/817428942181322755

re: second/third/nth degrees, it'd be nice to see more european investment into MOOCs to rival what American universities have produced with edX/Coursera and Chinese universities are making available via XuetangX. Unfortunately, I suspect this is one area where the continent's linguistic heterogeneity really works against it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

Pluskut Tukker posted:

The Dutch tax system is quite progressive and we do a lot of redistribution through various kinds of benefits for housing, childcare and health insurance. I'd be for efforts to get more people into work, but I doubt that raising the current minimum wage is going to accomplish that.

Anyway, there's nothing complex about a rule which says that you will have to pay only a fraction of the true cost for your first degree and a larger share for your second. We can argue about who benefits to what extent from the first college degree, but I would require some explanation as to how subsidising some people's second degree yields additional social benefits beyond those already flowing from the first one.

Any sort of fees system that requires checks creates a new layer of bureaucracy. I'd require an explanation as to why you think the people undertaking a second degree won't yield social benefits. It's like you think it's a hobby industry? You're proposing a policy against something that is pretty drat rare purely because you're not sure how useful it is despite the fact the general principal of education is generally accepted.

There's infinitely many things we can improve about the fairness and efficiency of society before we start penny pinching on education.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

LemonDrizzle posted:

..and Chinese universities are making available via XuetangX.

I heard their students can play a pretty mean round of aim_awp.

Pluskut Tukker
May 20, 2012

Lord of the Llamas posted:

Any sort of fees system that requires checks creates a new layer of bureaucracy.

I don't know where you're from but in the Netherlands, the bureaucracy for college applications is already in place. This is at worst one more box to check on the online registration form. And the policy is already in place; the government no longer subsidises the second degree so the universities charge whatever it costs them to educate the student, possibly a bit more.

I'd require an explanation as to why you think the people undertaking a second degree won't yield social benefits.

Marginal benefits, marginal costs. Are they in balance? Do the marginal benefits to society of subsidising people who already have a master's degree to get another one outweigh the marginal costs of an extra college education? Also, is it fair to subsidise people who have already received an enormously valuable gift? That's my point of concern. The Dutch government clearly thinks that there are benefits to having people retrain in health care and education, since getting a master's in teaching or nursing is not subject to the higher fees. You can even get a subsidy if you do an education master. But that's completely different from a generic subsidy for anyone who wants to do any second master's degree ever.

Anyway, I posted a bunch of sources to back up my previous points, it would only be polite if you returned the favour to back up your contention that it would.

It's like you think it's a hobby industry? You're proposing a policy against something that is pretty drat rare purely because you're not sure how useful it is despite the fact the general principal of education is generally accepted.

Principal =/ principle

There's infinitely many things we can improve about the fairness and efficiency of society before we start penny pinching on education.

To the contrary, there are probably quite a few things we could improve that are more cost-effective than subsidising people's second master degrees. But this point is basically whataboutery.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Pluskut Tukker posted:

The Dutch government clearly thinks that there are benefits to having people retrain in health care and education, since getting a master's in teaching or nursing is not subject to the higher fees. You can even get a subsidy if you do an education master. But that's completely different from a generic subsidy for anyone who wants to do any second master's degree ever.

This bit basically answers my concern from earlier - allowing retraining for things vital for the good of people is something I feel should be assisted and it seems your view is the same.

Pluskut Tukker
May 20, 2012

Tesseraction posted:

This bit basically answers my concern from earlier - allowing retraining for things vital for the good of people is something I feel should be assisted and it seems your view is the same.

It absolutely is.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012
http://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/07/world/europe/mario-soares-dead-portugal.html?smid=tw-share

The father of the moderm portuguese democracy, and the single biggest person responsible for its flaws and its successes, died today. He will be missed, probably. I dunno. Democracy is bad.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
The US right now quite needs a Mário Soares, he prevented the country from going into either extreme right or left rather well, it is a shame such people are rare.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

The last three Democratic presidents of the US, 20 years of leadership, have been people calling for moderate unity; it doesn't seem to have had many lasting effects.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Pinch Me Im Meming posted:

Who the hell is voting Valls??? :psyduck:

prime ministership is a hell of a drug

im not even shocked or angry, im just laughing, what happened to me

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Pluskut Tukker posted:

I don't know where you're from but in the Netherlands, the bureaucracy for college applications is already in place. This is at worst one more box to check on the online registration form. And the policy is already in place; the government no longer subsidises the second degree so the universities charge whatever it costs them to educate the student, possibly a bit more.

Marginal benefits, marginal costs. Are they in balance? Do the marginal benefits to society of subsidising people who already have a master's degree to get another one outweigh the marginal costs of an extra college education? Also, is it fair to subsidise people who have already received an enormously valuable gift? That's my point of concern. The Dutch government clearly thinks that there are benefits to having people retrain in health care and education, since getting a master's in teaching or nursing is not subject to the higher fees. You can even get a subsidy if you do an education master. But that's completely different from a generic subsidy for anyone who wants to do any second master's degree ever.

Anyway, I posted a bunch of sources to back up my previous points, it would only be polite if you returned the favour to back up your contention that it would.

Principal =/ principle

To the contrary, there are probably quite a few things we could improve that are more cost-effective than subsidising people's second master degrees. But this point is basically whataboutery.

The state should subsidise people who actually do lifelong learning irl (instead of just muttering it as a buzzword when asked whether longtime employees receive further training). This is not a means to make society richer, it is a goal in and of itself.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

https://twitter.com/mattyglesias/status/817878310717915137

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

KoldPT posted:

http://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/07/world/europe/mario-soares-dead-portugal.html?smid=tw-share

The father of the moderm portuguese democracy, and the single biggest person responsible for its flaws and its successes, died today. He will be missed, probably. I dunno. Democracy is bad.

Rip you beautiful bastard you fought the fascists and then turned into a corrupt rear end in a top hat,then tried running for president again in your 80's then died.he will be remembered by his democratic legacy instead of his children who are a blight upon this earth.

Pluskut Tukker
May 20, 2012

blowfish posted:

The state should subsidise people who actually do lifelong learning irl (instead of just muttering it as a buzzword when asked whether longtime employees receive further training). This is not a means to make society richer, it is a goal in and of itself.

Indeed it should, and it does, through for example tax deducation for employers and individuals, training vouchers for the unemployed, and of course all the education from primary to tertiary level it already pays for. You can go to college and get a degree in anything you like, regardless of the job market prospects. And I am fully on board with that; our lives would be much poorer without artists, historians, philosophers and the like. And fortunately, the state also subsidises other institutions that provide learning experiences: musea, theaters, the opera, nature parks and the like. We should be subsidising these far more than we do. The questions to me though are how much the state, which is all of us from shop clerk and factory floor worker to nurse to CEO, should subsidise further learning, who benefits from that, how we as the state are going to finance that, what the distributional effects are, whether it may in fact not also inadvertently contribute to more inequality, and whether there's also an individual responsibility to contribute and to what extent.

You can make blanket statements saying that "The state should subsidise people who actually do lifelong learning" because, I guess, the general principle of education is generally accepted. But at some point you have to translate this principle into practical reality and ask whether this wondeful principle of lifelong learning, in the absence of a communist utopia, really should extend to full public financing of people's second master degrees.

Pluskut Tukker fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Jan 8, 2017

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Jesus christ.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

MiddleOne posted:

Jesus christ.

I like how the little Dutch piglet is making his own way raising itself by the bootstraps.

edit; wait is that supposed to be the Hungarian flag? Because then someone (possibly me) is colourblind.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010
Not only that, but the third piglet from the left seems to have the belgian flag with the colours in the wrong order. In what way is Belgium sucking money from Germany?

Edit:

So, Hungary get much more from the EU than they pay in. They're suckling on Germany's teat at an even greater rate than those other piglets.

Kopijeger fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Jan 8, 2017

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Namarrgon posted:

edit; wait is that supposed to be the Hungarian flag? Because then someone (possibly me) is colourblind.
Pretty sure it's Hungarian. Not sure whether the third pig is Belgium, or Romania with a very dark blue. I mean, it's Hungary, so the latter seems like it would make the most sense, and it's not like they even colored it in right in either case.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
[quote="Kopijeger" post=""4680973"]In what way is Belgium sucking money from Germany?
[/quote]

Does being a tax oasis count?

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

Randler posted:

Does being a tax oasis count?

No idea. It might be like the case of Luxembourg, where the funding for the various institutions located in Brussel distorts the overall picture.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Kopijeger posted:

No idea. It might be like the case of Luxembourg, where the funding for the various institutions located in Brussel distorts the overall picture.
It's not distortion íf they benefit from the spending. :colbert:

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

blowfish posted:

The state does this already and they are called scientists.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I don't think it's due to the presence of EU institutions that Belgium is not a net contributor. It would be bizarre if they counted the upkeep of their own administration as aid.

In reality, it's most likely because there are extreme regional differences within Belgium. This mostly gets evened out when looking at the statistics at the national level, but the EU uses NUTS-2 regions to determine which areas are eligible for aid. Wallonia (specifically Hainaut, which has been hit hard by the decline of its traditional industry) is regularly targeted by the EU's convergence measures.

e: looking at the previous map again, I guess the presence of EU institutions actually does play a role there. I am curious as to the methodology and how much it skews the results.

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Jan 8, 2017

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007
This whole thread has been raging at the people who don't want Saracen invasion to their homes

Perhaps you too should be more accepting of their cultures
"UK Prime Minister Theresa May says she will lay out plan for Brexit 'in coming weeks'"

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Kopijeger posted:

Not only that, but the third piglet from the left seems to have the belgian flag with the colours in the wrong order. In what way is Belgium sucking money from Germany?

Edit:

So, Hungary get much more from the EU than they pay in. They're suckling on Germany's teat at an even greater rate than those other piglets.

The real scandal here is Luxembourg. WTF are they even getting money for?

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Pretty sure it's Hungarian. Not sure whether the third pig is Belgium, or Romania with a very dark blue. I mean, it's Hungary, so the latter seems like it would make the most sense, and it's not like they even colored it in right in either case.

If it's Hungary that loving pig should be sucking pretty drat hard on that tit

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

throw to first drat IT posted:

"UK Prime Minister Theresa May says she will lay out plan for Brexit 'in coming weeks'"

Theresa May, after a night of binge drinking: "Is it January already???"

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Whenever I read the euro thread I am always reminded to go check Mark Blyths twitter account:
https://twitter.com/MkBlyth/status/816087933665021952

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

LemonDrizzle posted:

https://twitter.com/istvan_ujhelyi/status/817428942181322755

re: second/third/nth degrees, it'd be nice to see more european investment into MOOCs to rival what American universities have produced with edX/Coursera and Chinese universities are making available via XuetangX. Unfortunately, I suspect this is one area where the continent's linguistic heterogeneity really works against it.

Judging from the hat, that's a male pig.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

steinrokkan posted:

Judging from the hat, that's a male pig.
I don't think that pigs exhibit significant sexual dimorphism in terms of head size/shape, so there's no reason a sow couldn't wear a tyrolean hat made for a pig.

Also,

https://twitter.com/RefugeesChief/status/817340713159499777

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

That image is clear evidence for the "Muslim Creep Hypothesis". You can even see the desert spilling out in the top right part of the image, as the refugees expand outside the camp. Best we let them stay in Greece, lest all of Europe become a desert.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Cat Mattress posted:

The real scandal here is Luxembourg. WTF are they even getting money for?

It says right on the map. It's because they're home to a whole bunch of EU institutions. I'm not sure why operating the ECJ counts as a hand out to Luxembourgers for purposes of the map but there you go.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Baron Corbyn posted:

It says right on the map. It's because they're home to a whole bunch of EU institutions. I'm not sure why operating the ECJ counts as a hand out to Luxembourgers for purposes of the map but there you go.
They get easy access to EU institutions, and the stimulus of having other EU citizens hanging around spending money they otherwise would not have, plus they get to pretend to even more important than they are.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Baron Corbyn posted:

A country or region that hosts a major governmental institution gets an economic boost for several reasons. First, it means there will be lots of comparatively well-paid government employees hanging around, spending their paycheques in local shops and making use of local amenities and services. The institution itself will also probably purchase a significant quantity of goods and services from local businesses. On top of that, there will be several different kinds of companies that will need to set up facilities close to the governmental instituion, such as lobbying organisations, think tanks, and law firms. Their employees will be paying tax to the host country, and will also be stimulating the local economy by spending their paycheques in exactly the same way as the government employees.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

LemonDrizzle posted:

Their employees will be paying tax to the host country

We're talking about Luxembourg, the European champion of tax fraud, though.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Cat Mattress posted:

We're talking about Luxembourg, the European champion of tax fraud, though.
The EU gives them the opportunity, it does not force them to take it.

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
Article 13 of the Protocol on Privileges and Immunities exempts EU salaries from being taxed in Belgium, if I am reading it correctly. Also real state and services around the organization become really, really expensive, crowding out many locals. It only ever benefits landowners and rentiers, in my opinion.

It is not limited to international organizations, the Citi of London has exactly the same thing going on. I would see it as gentrification in overdrive.

Anecdotal, of course, but many, many a native Bruxelian has complained to me about the EU institutions destroying what was the artists' quarter.

edit: I was answering LemonDrizzle's post.

Dawncloack fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Jan 8, 2017

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Namarrgon posted:

I had rewritten a response about benefits to society and how we are all in this together combined with the fact that a professor pays more in taxes than 15 minimum wage employees but in the end did not post because sometimes it just feels like swimming upstream in a river trying to convince people the bootstraps aren't real.

(and to all the education posts)

Even with regards to first degrees, the argument that "education has positive externalities" and "educated people pay a lot of taxes" are terrible arguments for subsidizing education and you should all take a free online course in economics.

Firstly, "educated people earn more and pay more taxes" - ok, so people who get educated earn more. So why should the government subsidize this? If it makes private sense to get an education, why should there be a subsidy? Why should people who don't benefit from this education pay for part of it when the person would rationally get it anyway?

Secondly, "education has positive externalities" - sure it does (though their magnitude can be debated). That doesn't mean that it is an underprovided good that should be subsidised. We subsidize public transport because it would be underprovided by the private market. Education is quite well provided (we should subsidize research, which IS underprovided). And people tend to consume education even when the costs are shifted to them, see for instance America and Britain. Education is an investment, just like many others made by companies and individuals. We generally do not subsidize those (despite externalities) because people will make them anyway. I don't expect a subsidy for renovating my house (even though my neighbors benefit) because the private benefit is enough to induce me to do it myself.

That's just theory. Then you have the empirical fact that for many individuals who receive education, the net benefit (including foregone wages) is negative EVEN under a subsidized system, let alone what it would be if the true cost was factored in.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Dawncloack posted:

Article 13 of the Protocol on Privileges and Immunities exempts EU salaries from being taxed in Belgium, if I am reading it correctly. Also real state and services around the organization become really, really expensive, crowding out many locals. It only ever benefits landowners and rentiers, in my opinion.
The EU employees themselves don't pay income tax, but when they spend their salaries with local businesses, the businesses pay taxes on their sales in exactly the same way as they would for any other customer's spending. Additionally, all the people who work for organisations that need to be close to the EU institutions but aren't actually employed by the EU (the lobbyists and lawyers and so on) will pay income tax just like everyone else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007
This whole thread has been raging at the people who don't want Saracen invasion to their homes

Perhaps you too should be more accepting of their cultures
Five Star Movement is apparently going to vote in totally honest referendum about whatever the party should switch from EU Bad to EU Good. So I guess we won't be seeing Italexit or whatever.