Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Riposte and Hopkins are way more fun than higher base damage and lame elves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Maybe right about riposte, haven't been able to try it yet, but high elves had exactly my favorite aptitudes so I'm really sad about that

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Darth Windu posted:

Maybe right about riposte, haven't been able to try it yet, but high elves had exactly my favorite aptitudes so I'm really sad about that

Dont worry just play Tengu. They're interchangeable according to the devs!

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Zore posted:

Dont worry just play Tengu. They're interchangeable according to the devs!

Ugh so idiotic. Tengu are garbage melee fighters!!!

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice
Hopkins are basically Humans of Chei with a bunch of Scrolls of Blinking (but not as good).

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Are they actually called Hopkins because if so: lmao

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
One thing I never get about the devs is they always feel the need to remove something when they add stuff. Like I can understand feature bloat but crawl is pretty far from that. High elves had a unique stile and were fun and cool. Are the only elves left the deep ones?

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Darth Windu posted:

Are they actually called Hopkins because if so: lmao

No, they're Barachians.

I am Otis
Sep 22, 2003

I usually like the changes in crawl but high elves were my favorite race and singularity the coolest spell. Still one of my favorite games though. Haven't played but 2 games of the hopping race but I didn't make it to lair. I love chei but take him later than most gods.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

So what's the new blasty caster race?

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

vOv posted:

Same one it's always been, Deep Elf.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
What's the new hybrid race then. Who can wield long swords and cast tornado and isn't a tengu

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Unimpressed posted:

Oh, I misread.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Darth Windu posted:

What's the new hybrid race then. Who can wield long swords and cast tornado and isn't a tengu

Merfolk except you cast glaciate and wield a polearm instead

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

cheetah7071 posted:

Merfolk except you cast glaciate and wield a polearm instead

The long blade and tornado are non negotiable

Alternatively Necromancy highbrid would be cool especially with that new spell. Maybe hill orcs can do that if they didn't get removed already

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Darth Windu posted:

Chei worshipers

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Darth Windu posted:

Alternatively Necromancy highbrid would be cool especially with that new spell.

Demonspawn?

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Darth Windu posted:

demigod is the race for you, my friend

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
PS: tengu, are good

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

PleasingFungus posted:

Please don't lie in the Crawl thread.

I am Otis
Sep 22, 2003

PleasingFungus posted:

demigod is the race for you, my friend

reported...

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Give tengu more hp and I'll play them

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Do stats aside from int matter now or what

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Darth Windu posted:

yes

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Darth Windu posted:

Ugh so idiotic. Tengu are garbage melee fighters!!!
Tengu are just fine as melee. -20% HP is not that big of a deal and their apts are great for hybrid or reaver characters.

Also flying and the bonuses that come from it.

vOv posted:

Same as it ever was, Tengus. :colbert:

PleasingFungus posted:

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Darth Windu posted:

Humans lol

MiltonSlavemasta
Feb 12, 2009

And the cats in the cradle and the silver spoon
Little boy blue and the man on the moon
"When you coming home, dad?"
"I don't know when
We'll get together then son you know we'll have a good time then."
This might be a dumb question. I've only ever found like 4 runes total and can't seem to figure out how you branch out into magic when starting as a fighter. When I try to do it, the fail chances for even level 1 spells are around 95-100%, and it won't let me start training the relevant magic skills. How do I branch out and start using spells?

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Turn on manual training.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
You have to have the spell memorized to be able to train the skill. You can memorize 100% failure spells if you want to start training for them. Anticipate needing at least 8-13 in the relevant schools for lvl 3/4 spells. Anything higher than 6 is probably a no-go in mid to heavy armor.

Also, raise your armor skill & Str, it helps a lot in getting failure chance down.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Darth Windu posted:

str has always mattered. it especially mattered after the change to ER, and even moreso after damage was changed so only str boosts damage/only dex boosts acc. I spend most of my stats on str almost every run.

Unimpressed posted:

you mean draconian

World Famous W posted:

Tengu are just fine as melee.
this is correct

World Famous W posted:

-20% HP is not that big of a deal
this, however, is not

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
I've played a lot of blasters and ascended Naga and draconians, they work really well. Draconians can be good hybrids too.

The whole "high elves are Tolkien and just like Tengu" is a load of garbage. Makes the inner conspiracy theorist in me think that charms and bows are going to be cut so they would have been more like Tengu, and getting rid of them now means people can't complain about taking away the elf's thing.

Makes the elven crypts idea pretty funny though. Will it have all the elves that got cut?

For extended I'd like to see an either/or with Pan and the "godly realms." There would be a unique themed level for each God and 5 are randomly selected for the game. Might be too much work but it seems like the kind of thing they like making.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I used to love draconians but I kind of hate them now since they get no GDR. Feels like they take way too much damage no matter how much AC you have.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Please give me high elves back demonsoawn just ain't doing it

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
If I made a pull request that added high elves back and coherently argued reasons why from this thread, would it be considered or rejected on principle? Assuming the principle is "don't second guess the dev team."

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
why would they put them back in right after taking them out? it sounds like you think they just did it at random and don't really care one way or another

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
The reasons posted in this thread are really compelling and i'm pretty sure there is no coherent argument against them.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Also ive kinda skimmed over the last 30 or so pages of this thread and a lot of the changes are for the worst. i get the feeling the dev team is too focused on the tournaments and top crawlers and are kinda ignoring the gently caress around goofball players. They have sacrificed Fun on the sacred alter of Efficiency and the world is lessened for it

But riposte is really cool. And a lot of the changes are good. just you should probably be way more careful about removing content than this dev team.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Darth Windu posted:

The reasons posted in this thread are really compelling and i'm pretty sure there is no coherent argument against them.

It doesn't matter how good your argument is. The dev behind the change doesn't agree so its not gonna change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord

IronicDongz posted:

why would they put them back in right after taking them out? it sounds like you think they just did it at random and don't really care one way or another

Changes in master don't necessarily make it to release. Lava orcs and Djinn were in the works at one point.

• Locked thread