Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mercutio Martino
Feb 13, 2015

Knight of the Sovereign Military Order of Sealand

Ambaire posted:

Merge blocks have been working fine on literally every single server I've been playing on so :shrug: I know this because I almost always start in the yellow respawn ship and merging it to an asteroid to make the ship permanent is something I do within the first 5 minutes every time.

It's when you use merge blocks to make the grids on 2 pistons become one. Crashes every time (even after this last patch.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
using merge blocks turns on autopilot for both grids when they detach, thus removing player control even if neither grid has a remote block/even if they do, and there is no way to disable it. has happened every time for me on multiple servers.

At the moment, I cannot use merge blocks.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Once more the hip cutting-edge cool people of the Dev Build break away from the boring terrible loser people of the Stable Build, with bugfixes and system tweaks this week.

quote:

Summary
Hello, Engineers! This week’s update contains some major improvements to the the physics engine and optimizations to voxel performance. Notably, wheels have been given some much needed attention as well as pistons and rotors. Standing and walking around on a fast moving ship should be more stable and you may also notice that you can finally use a piston as a moving platform. Before this update, you character would just slide off. Voxel performance has been increased by around 60% so you should see more gains in FPS on planets.
Lastly, we’ve released a Deluxe Edition of Space Engineers on Steam containing the official soundtrack, concept artwork and a first release of the game from 2013. This version will appear within your existing install folder so there will be no need to re-download any files when you want to switch between the bonus content and the default game. The config file and save games are also stored separately from the normal version.
If you already own the Space Engineers, the Deluxe Edition should appear with a lower price for you on the Steam Store ;)

Deluxe Versions: Where to find the additional content
Right click on Space Engineers Deluxe Edition in your Steam Library, chose properties -> Local Files Tab -> Browse Local Files
Or you can find the files here:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\SpaceEngineers\FirstReleaseDLC
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\SpaceEngineers\Soundtrack+ArtworkDLC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ko_fMnxTPY

Features
- Deluxe Edition Bundle: http://store.steampowered.com/bundle/2329/
- Physics engine improvements
- Voxel performance optimizations
- Added updated icons for Automatic Rifle, Welder, Grinder and Drill
- Added cosmetic changes for components

Fixes
- fixed Large Grid Large Reactor had faulty conveyor doors
- fixed GPS serialization, cut scenes in MP, Highlights in MP in Visual Scripting
- fixed issue with small landing gear missing dummies
- fixed issue with faulty mount points on small conveyors
- fixed issues with campaign missions and being able to complete them
- fixed off setting of astronaut when using jet pack animation
- fixed issues with the Silicon voxel texture
- fixed issues with the RocksDesert voxel texture
- minor redesign to the Spotlight block

In case you don't watch the video; Piston-mounted platforms will also now apparently keep the Player still like any other surface while in motion, instead of leaving them behind.

lilspooky
Mar 21, 2006
So ya that kinda bums me out since I've only played on the Stable version. Do most of you guys play on the Dev version? Kinda wondering if it's worth switching over. Heck how do you switch over?

Also Neddy, still haven't had a chance to check to see if I can fix the issue with your modular ships. Hopefully get a chance tonight.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

lilspooky posted:

So ya that kinda bums me out since I've only played on the Stable version. Do most of you guys play on the Dev version? Kinda wondering if it's worth switching over. Heck how do you switch over?

Right-click on the game in your Steam list, click Properties, go to the Beta tab and select "develop" from the drop-down menu. Your game'll start downloading the version patch for it.

lilspooky
Mar 21, 2006
Thank ya sir!

Do you usually stay in Dev mode?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

lilspooky posted:

Thank ya sir!

Do you usually stay in Dev mode?

Yup. Your game will remain on the Dev bui;d until you manually switch it back.

64bitrobot
Apr 20, 2009

Likes to Lurk
So I'm a bit late to the server discussion, but I too would be interested in playing in such a server as mentioned three pages back.

lilspooky
Mar 21, 2006

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Yup. Your game will remain on the Dev bui;d until you manually switch it back.

Haha no I get that, what I was asking was do YOU personally keep your game in Dev? :D

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

lilspooky posted:

Haha no I get that, what I was asking was do YOU personally keep your game in Dev? :D

Yup. Cutting edge builds with no safety nets and regular bugfixes, whatup :dukedog:.

Sorus
Nov 6, 2007
caustic overtones
The weekly updates is what sold me on SE when I usually avoid early access.

Need to be on the dev build for that now.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
In theory, shouldn't you be able to make that mining spike turn around randomly via gyro override when it shuts off until it finds an asteroid in front of it again, then bore on that axis? You might wind up with it wandering to an odd exit angle after a few passes, I suppose, but it would at least stay in the right general region even if it shuts down inside a cavity made from a few tunnels.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Loomer posted:

In theory, shouldn't you be able to make that mining spike turn around randomly via gyro override when it shuts off until it finds an asteroid in front of it again, then bore on that axis? You might wind up with it wandering to an odd exit angle after a few passes, I suppose, but it would at least stay in the right general region even if it shuts down inside a cavity made from a few tunnels.

The problem is you can't be absolutely certain it's fully cleared the asteroid, it could easily just turn and smash itself on a tunnel wall. Might be worth looking into though, it's not a bad idea in theory.

Mercutio Martino
Feb 13, 2015

Anyone's pistons exploding the moment you extend them?
Switched back over to the Dev branch and it seems to be a new bug feature.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The problem is you can't be absolutely certain it's fully cleared the asteroid, it could easily just turn and smash itself on a tunnel wall. Might be worth looking into though, it's not a bad idea in theory.

You could add a couple of more sensors to detect if the rear of the drill is clear of rock? I haven't played around with the sensor logic but if you could make the sensors' area relatively wide but flat, (wide enough to detect the edges of the hole it made, flat enough to leave something like 10M of empty space between itself and the rock face) that oughta do it. Then program it to start slowly rotating in place to a random direction once it's clear of the rock until it detects rock again, then start tunneling again. Sort of how like a Roomba works.

Of course this means you'd have to actually stop it remotely and leaving one of these things running long enough might create problems when it ran out of cargo space.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Drake_263 posted:

You could add a couple of more sensors to detect if the rear of the drill is clear of rock? I haven't played around with the sensor logic but if you could make the sensors' area relatively wide but flat, (wide enough to detect the edges of the hole it made, flat enough to leave something like 10M of empty space between itself and the rock face) that oughta do it. Then program it to start slowly rotating in place to a random direction once it's clear of the rock until it detects rock again, then start tunneling again. Sort of how like a Roomba works.

Of course this means you'd have to actually stop it remotely and leaving one of these things running long enough might create problems when it ran out of cargo space.

Funnily enough cargo space is a non-issue for them; Just stick a cargo pod or two on the back if you're gonna drive one through a bigass asteroid:v:.

edit: You know what? Have some utility pods. The yellow-and-white one is the Toolbox, which is basically a base-in-a-pod. Refineries, Assemblers, etc. Slap it down wherever you're doing stuff, save a trip back to your base/mothership. Expand with cargo pods as need be.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Jan 6, 2017

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Make it spherical with control from the center.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Spookydonut posted:

Make it spherical with control from the center.

Remember Zennik's Putin It In? Yeah.

zennik
Jun 9, 2002

Drake_263 posted:

Remember Zennik's Putin It In? Yeah.

Speaking of.
Given the amazing improvements to netcode(at least as far as how my contraptions affect server performance), we've revived the Survival Server and I am rebuilding the Putin.

Running the stable branch atm, PGS thread can be found here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3803451

lilspooky
Mar 21, 2006
So I'm thinking about trying to design a little warship. Specifically a Monitor type vessel......like a space going version of the USS Monitor and later Royal Navy coastal defense / fire support ships. Basically a small compact warship with probably a dorsal and ventral turret with a heavy cannon(s). Then some minor AA guns to act as fighter deterrence. Top it off with heavy armor and not spend too much on making it move fast and you have a ship that packs something of a punch against capital ships, is ponderous but well armored, and can sit in defense of a space station or asteroid mining complex. Historical monitors were generally light to moderately armored so I'm trying to change that aspect. Small crew, nothing too spacious, overall cheap. Finally will plan to design some kind of attachable / detachable jump drive "ring" or what have you to allow it to move about if necessary.

So my desire is to give it a set of player controlled turrets. The type you can control via remote control. I've watched a couple videos on it, but if anyone has any advice I'd be thankful!

Finally Neddy, I dunno why but none of your W.A.S.P. ships seem to be able to generate their projections when I build them in my survival game. They work just fine if I paste the blueprint in creative mode. Your new pods look cool though! :)

Any plans to update your older designs since some of the mods aren't working anymore?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

lilspooky posted:

Finally Neddy, I dunno why but none of your W.A.S.P. ships seem to be able to generate their projections when I build them in my survival game. They work just fine if I paste the blueprint in creative mode. Your new pods look cool though! :)

Any plans to update your older designs since some of the mods aren't working anymore?

Sounds like a bug to me. I might post it on KSH's bug forum, see if they fix it. And I really should, I know the OKI weapon packs are gone and the original Maglock blocks have broken textures. I superceded most of the older ones with better ships/vehicles anyway though.

Also just go use the cannons from Riders or Mexpex's weapon packs for your ship, save it from exploding every other patch.

Mercutio Martino
Feb 13, 2015

zennik posted:

Speaking of.
Given the amazing improvements to netcode(at least as far as how my contraptions affect server performance), we've revived the Survival Server and I am rebuilding the Putin.

Running the stable branch atm, PGS thread can be found here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3803451

Huzza. This is good news. I gotta ask though: is the planet supposed to be that small? Atmospheric landers spawn out in open space.
Mayhaps the APTAA Faction could have a base's GPS's coordinates listed on the SA forum?

lilspooky
Mar 21, 2006

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Sounds like a bug to me. I might post it on KSH's bug forum, see if they fix it. And I really should, I know the OKI weapon packs are gone and the original Maglock blocks have broken textures. I superceded most of the older ones with better ships/vehicles anyway though.

Also just go use the cannons from Riders or Mexpex's weapon packs for your ship, save it from exploding every other patch.

OKI weapon packs still work. You just gotta find the updated mods done by other people who fixed the bugs. When I get home I can share. Unless something happened in the REALLY REALLY recent history and they're toast now. But I've been using elements of them when farting around in creative and they worked.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Does anyone know if they plan to make planets more unique and usable? Something akin to locking certain resource types to certain planets/moons to promote planet to planet travel and general planet interaction. Like how platinum is currently only found in space and is required for the fuel efficient but optional thrusters.

If not, is there a mod that does this atm?

zennik
Jun 9, 2002

Mercutio Martino posted:

Huzza. This is good news. I gotta ask though: is the planet supposed to be that small? Atmospheric landers spawn out in open space.
Mayhaps the APTAA Faction could have a base's GPS's coordinates listed on the SA forum?

I need to figure out how to tweak respawn ship spawn locations again. I started on a 'crashed red ship' map. The first planet is a 19km planet, there's also a 19km moon floating out there somewhere, as well as a max size planet.

I'll post coordinates in the PGS thread.

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

Gotta be honest, I do prefer a crashed lander start or something like that than having everything already built but oh well :v:

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Every one be aware that that is MY moon, and I crashed all my ships into it FIRST. I WILL defend it once I get some working ships again.

This gives me salvage rights over an entire heavenly body. pls don't steal.

Firos posted:

Gotta be honest, I do prefer a crashed lander start or something like that than having everything already built but oh well :v:

Why not create your own crashed start like the above mentioned property claiming method?

McGiggins fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Jan 7, 2017

zennik
Jun 9, 2002

Firos posted:

Just the starting station.

Kept getting people spawning in respawn ships, scrapping them into another, rinse and repeat.

Doing that a bunch starts to slow the server down.

So, the APTAA Base has all the basics needed to get out and start mining.

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

zennik posted:

Kept getting people spawning in respawn ships, scrapping them into another, rinse and repeat.

Ah ok well I'm gonna stick with my single respawn ship until I find somewhere to call home. I accidentally spawned a 2nd one tho lol, not that I'm planning on using it.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

zennik posted:

Aaaand that's why you set an MOTD and put some server rules, like... no farming of respawn ships for materials or have your stuff deleted / get banned. It's a fairly common server rule.

zennik
Jun 9, 2002

Ambaire posted:

Aaaand that's why you set an MOTD and put some server rules, like... no farming of respawn ships for materials or have your stuff deleted / get banned. It's a fairly common server rule.

Or, I keep doing what I'm working on now, which is figuring out how this new fork of SESE works and just create a plugin that limits the number of 'respawn' ships per person to 1.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

The SE devs are really something else. Who hard codes a keybind like this in this day and age? Nope, no way to change it, so if one binds inventory to B, one is poo poo outta luck.

Edit: Turns out i'm an idiot, it can be changed in systems 3. Doesn't seem to do anything tho. I'm trying to place a station block on this asteroid aligned to the cleared area (aka the ship extension in this image) but it keeps snapping to the 'asteroid coord plane'. Ugh.

Edit2: Got it. I converted my ship to a station, built it into the asteroid, then severed the ship from the asteroid. Success! Gonna do refining and assembling here then a shipyard over yonder.

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jan 7, 2017

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Ambaire posted:

The SE devs are really something else. Who hard codes a keybind like this in this day and age? Nope, no way to change it, so if one binds inventory to B, one is poo poo outta luck.

Edit: Turns out i'm an idiot, it can be changed in systems 3. Doesn't seem to do anything tho. I'm trying to place a station block on this asteroid aligned to the cleared area (aka the ship extension in this image) but it keeps snapping to the 'asteroid coord plane'. Ugh.

What the gently caress, the devs don't even know which of their keybinds are hardcoded?

64bitrobot
Apr 20, 2009

Likes to Lurk

Cup Runneth Over posted:

What the gently caress, the devs don't even know which of their keybinds are hardcoded?

I think the problem is more the guy was looking at the list from the help menu, which displays the bound keys, and thought it was hardcoded when it wasn't. Then the dev was like 'well, if it's hardcoded, you can't change it'

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
Developers, much like IT techs don't remember every detail at all times. They rely on Google and wikis for really basic poo poo because it can easily be confused with anything vaguely similar. Even features that got cut or they worked on in free time on a personal project.

Expecting them to do otherwise would be like expecting you to remember every word from a conversation you had in a second language some arbitrary length of time ago, or even a conversation your co-workers had that you just happened to walk past one time.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
He replied without even checking, then made poo poo up ("most of our keybinds are hardcoded")

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
So here is a question: Is there a way to set relative GPS points that update themselves when the point they are based off is moved? For example, I have a mobile station that I jump around when needed, however I always want my warship/ other ships I have salvaged to have a return to base GPS point set to 100 meters off the right of the station grid.

I could set all the points manually, and fly around and remake them all everytime I move the station, but that seems like something that should be avoided if it at all can be.

lilspooky
Mar 21, 2006
Anyone have a decent atmospheric grinder / salvage / utility vessel blueprint?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

lilspooky posted:

Anyone have a decent atmospheric grinder / salvage / utility vessel blueprint?

Blueprint issues aside, the Tarantula works fine in atmosphere as well as space, if you haven't tried tossing one into gravity yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lilspooky
Mar 21, 2006
Ya, I'm on Europa playing space pirate so maybe I'll just put the grinders on manually. Of course some larger salvage vessel to go out to the wrecks would be nice. There's a wrecked corvette approximately 12km from my base almost on the other side of the moon that I'd like to go salvage. No clue what happened to it but I passed overhead with my surveyor and it's still got some promising items. Maybe I'll whip up a huge rolling ground vehicle with a smaller grinder ship attached.

• Locked thread