Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Serious question, genuinely curious: when was the last time an officer in an American army refused an illegal order and it did not ruin their career permanently?

That's easy, Oliver N...ohhh, you said "refused." No idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Mr. Nice! posted:

Congress, would, for one. The supreme court would be the adjudicator, and the president would be required to follow their decision. This has happened before and will happen again. The president gets sued all the time.

On the other hand, Andrew Jackson.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Mr. Nice! posted:

Congress, would, for one. The supreme court would be the adjudicator, and the president would be required to follow their decision. This has happened before and will happen again. The president gets sued all the time.

You seem to have no real understand about the way the law or the US government works.
Ignoring the fact you haven't explained why you think "Congress" as a body has standing (I seem to recall Congress members claiming they have some sort special interest in laws being followed recently getting slapped down, but I can't recall where). What decision would they make such that the President could even follow their decision? By the time this gets to the Supreme Court the prisoners have already been freed. Is the Supreme Court going to order the President to whip up some commandos and recapture them?

twodot fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jan 6, 2017

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Doc Hawkins posted:

That's easy, Oliver N...ohhh, you said "refused." No idea.

Yeah, I'm not sure it has ever happened.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

twodot posted:

Ignoring the fact you haven't explained why you think "Congress" as a body has standing (I seem to recall Congress members claiming they have some sort special interest in laws being followed recently getting slapped down, but I can't recall where). What decision would they make such that the President could even follow their decision? By the time this gets to the Supreme Court the prisoners have already been freed. Is the Supreme Court going to order the President to whip up some commandos and recapture them?

:lol: There's no point in even trying to have a discussion with you. You're either blatantly trolling, a colossal moron, or both.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

twodot posted:

"Congress" suing the president isn't really something that happened until very very recently. The question on whether or not they had standing was controversial but ultimately upheld, and the suit allowed to go through.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_House_of_Representatives_v._Burwell

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

esquilax posted:

"Congress" suing the president isn't really something that happened until very very recently. The question on whether or not they had standing was controversial but ultimately upheld, and the suit allowed to go through.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_House_of_Representatives_v._Burwell
Awesome, I think this is what I was thinking of, but apparently had selective memory (I was pretty sure it was related to healthcare). For anyone interested, some details on the standing ruling:

quote:

Article I of the United States Constitution established the Congress, which comprises a House of Representatives and a Senate. U.S. Const. art. I, § 1. Only these two bodies, acting together, can pass laws—including the laws necessary to spend public money. In this respect, Article I is very clear: “No Money shall be drawn from the Treasury, but in Consequence of Appropriations made by Law . . . .”
[...]
The House sues, as an institutional plaintiff, to preserve its power of the purse and to maintain constitutional equilibrium between the Executive and the Legislature. If its non-appropriation claims have merit, which the Secretaries deny, the House has been injured in a concrete and particular way that is traceable to the Secretaries and remediable in court. The Court concludes that the House has standing to pursue those constitutional claims.

In contrast, the House’s claims that Secretary Lew improperly amended the Affordable Care Act concern only the implementation of a statute, not adherence to any specific constitutional requirement. The House does not have standing to pursue those claims.
The executive branch can't spend Treasury money willy-nilly, but I don't see anything stopping them from redirecting already authorized programs.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Just recess appoint all the prisoners to the Supreme Court, they refuse to recuse themselves from the case and rule it a constitutional action.

eNeMeE
Nov 26, 2012

EwokEntourage posted:

They advised the president they wouldn't accept any nominees.
They didn't, though. If they'd at least done that it would be far better - what they did was have a committee refuse to offer advice. Some of them said it individually but the Senate as a body never did.

He probably should have gone and talked to Garland and said "Sorry, ain't happening, they're assholes" and then recommended a new Justice every week at a press conference saying "So they aren't doing their jobs so I'm trying again, maybe this time they can actually show up to work instead of getting paid fat stacks of cash, privileges and the some of the best free healthcare, that we can't offer to you because of them, to do nothing.".

...that's a terrible sentence but I'm 3/4 asleep so gently caress it.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

eNeMeE posted:

They didn't, though. If they'd at least done that it would be far better - what they did was have a committee refuse to offer advice. Some of them said it individually but the Senate as a body never did.

He probably should have gone and talked to Garland and said "Sorry, ain't happening, they're assholes" and then recommended a new Justice every week at a press conference saying "So they aren't doing their jobs so I'm trying again, maybe this time they can actually show up to work instead of getting paid fat stacks of cash, privileges and the some of the best free healthcare, that we can't offer to you because of them, to do nothing.".

...that's a terrible sentence but I'm 3/4 asleep so gently caress it.

Maybe i'm missing something, isn't that kind of looking at things in too small of a scale to get a scope of what was going on though? The Senate Republican leader pretty clearly spoke for the party, and then backed up his actions by crushing any dissident opinions inside the party. And Obama did pretty much did say that they were horrible assholes and that they were basically not doing their jobs and stealing the money of the public.

http://www.npr.org/2016/09/06/492857860/173-days-and-counting-gop-unlikely-to-end-blockade-on-garland-nomination-soon

quote:

To sum up events to date, hours after Justice Antonin Scalia's death last February, Senate Republican leader Mitch McConnell announced that there would be no hearings, no votes, no action whatsoever, on any Supreme Court nomination until the American people got to vote on a new president.

The idea was that if the Republican nominee were to win the presidency, he would fill the vacancy instead of Obama. And if the Democratic nominee were to prevail, the honors would go to her. After Obama picked Garland, the scuttlebutt among many Republicans was that if Clinton won, and especially if the Democrats retook control of the Senate, they could always confirm Garland in the lame-duck session after the election.

That was part of the entire strategy about floating Garland, in fact. Since if he had put up an ultra-liberal the conservatives would have had an actual excuse they could point too as to why they didn't want him. In normal times Garland probably would have been about as partisan of a guy as you'd expect of a SCOTUS pick. The strategy actually did work at first, given that there were even Republican members of the house and senate saying that the vote needed to at least go forwards to where he could be formally denied for the position.

quote:

Since then, McConnell has firmly rejected that idea and brooked no serious opposition. For instance, when Charles Grassley, the chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee, poked his nose out last week to suggest that Republicans might hold hearings on the Garland nomination during the lame-duck, the next day — his nose pretty obviously smashed in — he quickly backtracked.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Jan 7, 2017

eNeMeE
Nov 26, 2012

Archonex posted:

Maybe i'm missing something, isn't that kind of looking at things in too small of a scale to get a scope of what was going on though? The Senate Republican leader pretty clearly spoke for the party, and then backed up his actions by crushing any dissident opinions inside the party. And Obama did pretty much did say that they were horrible assholes and that they were basically not doing their jobs and stealing the money of the public.

...my memory is clearly still poo poo. I thought it was just some guys admitting that, not the head douchenozzle.

Welp.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

eNeMeE posted:

...my memory is clearly still poo poo. I thought it was just some guys admitting that, not the head douchenozzle.

Welp.

They even had a passive aggressive little counter on a website that tracked Garland's wait for a hearing against every other justice nominee ever.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
It'd be fun to see the Dems actually try to block Trump's nominee because in 24 hours we'd see more action and open condemnation of the Democrats by Republicans than we saw from the Democrats towards the Republicans during the entirety of Garland's nomination. And that's without including the poo poo Trump would be spewing constantly (or more than usual).

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Mr. Nice! posted:

They even had a passive aggressive little counter on a website that tracked Garland's wait for a hearing against every other justice nominee ever.

The Republicans did that themselves? I thought it was just the Dems and every left-wing politics site.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

haveblue posted:

The Republicans did that themselves? I thought it was just the Dems and every left-wing politics site.

No the white house did:
https://www.whitehouse.gov/scotus

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

twodot posted:

No it doesn't. It possibly betrays a lack of understanding of the legal understanding of the people running GTMO. I personally suspect their understanding is effectively "if the command says it's legal, it's legal" given what we've seen of the military's behavior since 2001.
:lol: "Every single soldier from the gate guard to the Commandant who has rotated through Guantanamo Bay since 2002 is a ffffucking drone who never questions their government or values, unlike twodot who sees the truth." Tell me, O enlightened one, under what legal theory exactly are they supposed to be concluding that indefinite detention of enemy combatants is illegal? Seriously, I want to know what you're basing this argument that what we're doing is facially illegal on. Congress authorized it. The Supreme Court signed off on it. Tradition, law, and treaty allow it.

(Oh, and nice attempt to shift the goalposts from detention to torture.)

twodot posted:

I mean General Petraeus exists, so I'm going to have to stop you here.
Oh, you mean the West Point cadet who married a general's daughter upon graduation, rose to the highest military rank achievable, commanded MNF-I, was named director of the CIA, and was getting metaphorical blowjobs from the mainstream press and D.C. establishment to the point that there was an editorial calling for five star rank to be revived just for him, until he blew it all up by getting a literal blowjob from his attractive biographer and had to settle for a retirement of honorary professorships and six figure consultant salaries? Yeah, that sounds like a guy who doesn't know how to play the game.

Seriously, every time you go for one of these sick burns, you reveal the hilarious extent of your ignorance.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

What're the odds the GOP gets Trump's SCOTUS pick and wait to confirm them on March 16th for a maximum gently caress You to Obama and the Democrats?

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

Evil Fluffy posted:

What're the odds the GOP gets Trump's SCOTUS pick and wait to confirm them on March 16th for a maximum gently caress You to Obama and the Democrats?

I'll be amazed if his pick takes 30 days to be rubber stamped unless he puts up somebody unexpected.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Javid posted:

I'll be amazed if his pick takes 30 days to be rubber stamped unless he puts up somebody unexpected.

Im really wondering about who's rubber stamping here. Trump is way out of his element. I would expect his team to be able to select a candidate and present it to trump without much argument. What I wonder is how much space there is between the congressional leadership and the administration. I expect most real work in the next couple years to be all smoke filled room poo poo while trump is off clowning on twitter and distracting the hate machine.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Serious question, genuinely curious: when was the last time an officer in an American army refused an illegal order and it did not ruin their career permanently?

The Slavers’ Rebellion

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Hahaha, good point, but that's just treason. I'm looking for an instance where a junior officer was given an illegal or obviously insane order by a superior officer, refused said order, and had a successful subsequent career -- I'll settle for remaining employed at current rank.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Hahaha, good point, but that's just treason. I'm looking for an instance where a junior officer was given an illegal or obviously insane order by a superior officer, refused said order, and had a successful subsequent career -- I'll settle for remaining employed at current rank.

Him not getting hosed with would mean command recognized he did the right thing. Which would make it unlikely to ever hit the news, both for the reason "man doesn't bite dog" doesn't and also because the military likes to handle stuff internally, and there'd be no one with an interest in making noise about it.

Not saying it's common, just that I don't think there are likely to be a huge number of examples for posters here to pull from beyond personal anecdotes.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

There is Hugh Thompson, a helicopter pilot who confronted William Calley during the My Lai Massacre, but even that's a stretch since he was outside Calley's chain of command and didn't actually disobey any direct orders IIRC.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Acebuckeye13 posted:

There is Hugh Thompson, a helicopter pilot who confronted William Calley during the My Lai Massacre, but even that's a stretch since he was outside Calley's chain of command and didn't actually disobey any direct orders IIRC.

And look how well he got treated :P

Point being, the idea that soldiers will ever refuse a direct order -- even one that is blatantly illegal or coming from someone who is obviously insane -- is essentially a legal fiction. It doesn't happen.

Hell, did anyone even refuse to torture the Guantanamo detainees?

Dead Reckoning posted:

You are welcome to disagree with the Supreme Court, but if you are, you need to offer some sort of legal reasoning more complex than, "well I feel like this ought to be illegal." You also need to stop conflating disagreements about what the law is with arguments about what the law ought to be. I'd remind you that your original statement was that it was really weird that soldiers would consider an order to detain a foreign national indefinitely to be legal, but not one to transport and release said foreign national against the explicit will of Congress and statute. This betrays a lack of understanding of the law as it exists right now. If you think the Geneva Conventions and Hamdi v. Rumsfeld are so facially wrong that professional bureaucrats should ignore them, that is going to require significant justification.

I'm pretty familiar with the legal understanding of military officers, because that was literally my job for eight years. The Joint Chiefs or Combatant Commanders would be the ones receiving the order, and four star generals are nothing if not somewhat sophisticated political animals. Even if the White House tried to bypass the chain of command in an unprecedented way, the lowest ranking officer capable of coordinating something like a prisoner transport is going to be a senior Colonel, who again are usually old and experienced enough that unconditional obedience to exceptional and illegal orders is not a given. If I had received a phone call saying, "This is the President, I need you to do something unusual for me without your bosses finding out, pinky swear this is all legal and on the level", my most likely reaction would have been to report it to my Security Manager rather than comply. I would have no way of authenticating such an order without running it up the chain.

Sure, but let's say you ran it up the chain and the order was verified as coming from the president, but was an order to do something explicitly illegal (for example, torture; the term "enhanced interrogation" was literally and specifically used by the Nazis at Nuremberg, so there is very clear precedent that "enhanced interrogation" is a war crime). Would you have done it? Are you aware of any instance where anyone has ever refused such an order and not faced career suicide?

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Jan 8, 2017

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Point being, the idea that soldiers will ever refuse a direct order -- even one that is blatantly illegal or coming from someone who is obviously insane -- is essentially a legal fiction. It doesn't happen.

Well you’re at least as hosed if you obey the order, so why not take the moral high ground?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Platystemon posted:

Well you’re at least as hosed if you obey the order, so why not take the moral high ground?

You'd think, but honestly you probably aren't as hosed obeying an illegal order. If you disobey you KNOW your career is over. If you obey, there's a decent chance you'll get away with it and your superiors will cover for you -- see everyone who committed torture under Bush. The CIA destroyed evidence in violation of a federal court order to protect those guys.

I realize this is a bit of a derail but it's a question I've been thinking about a great deal lately given the incoming President.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

If you obey, there's a decent chance you'll get away with it and your superiors will cover for you -- see everyone who committed torture under Bush. The CIA destroyed evidence in violation of a federal court order to protect those guys.

Only if in covering for themselves they incidentally cover for you.

Sometimes throwing subordinates to the wolves is the most expedient course of action.

Bueno Papi
May 10, 2009

You'd think, but honestly you probably aren't as hosed obeying an illegal order. If you disobey you KNOW your career is over. If you obey, there's a decent chance you'll get away with it and your superiors will cover for you -- see everyone who committed torture under Bush. The CIA destroyed evidence in violation of a federal court order to protect those guys.

I realize this is a bit of a derail but it's a question I've been thinking about a great deal lately given the incoming President.

Are you thinking the CIA may contravene an order from Trump?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Bueno Papi posted:

Are you thinking the CIA may contravene an order from Trump?

It's not so much that I'm thinking they will do it as that it seems very likely a situation will arise in Trump's presidency where someone in the military should refuse an order.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Sure, but let's say you ran it up the chain and the order was verified as coming from the president, but was an order to do something explicitly illegal (for example, torture; the term "enhanced interrogation" was literally and specifically used by the Nazis at Nuremberg, so there is very clear precedent that "enhanced interrogation" is a war crime). Would you have done it? Are you aware of any instance where anyone has ever refused such an order and not faced career suicide?

Your original question was

when was the last time an officer in an American army refused an illegal order and it did not ruin their career permanently?
which I'd turn around and ask, when was the last time an American officer was issued a blatantly illegal order? All the enhanced interrogation stuff was done by the CIA, and the CIA was extremely careful to make sure that both the executive and legislature explicitly signed off on what they were doing, so that no one could say in the future that the officers of the CIA had not been following the will of elected officials. Waterboarding was probably criminal, White House counsel memos to the contrary, but as far as I know, no CIA officer was ever disciplined for declining to participate. They would simply find someone else who was willing.

On the military side of things, I'd guess illegal orders happen with some regularity, but tend to get quashed before they are actually executed. The institutional memory of My Lai is so deeply burned into the officer culture (Hugh Thompson was awarded the Soldier's Medal and invited to speak at the military academies in his later years) that spicy "LET'S DO THE WHOLE loving VILLAGE!" situations are basically unheard of.

The examples I recall were situations where commanders overstepped their lawful authority, either in the course of a command directed investigation, to try to mete out some unusual form of discipline, or to try to avoid mission failure by circumventing the rules. Usually these quietly go away as soon as the JAG office, Inspector General, or a superior gets wind of them and explains that they can't actually do whatever they are trying at. It's hard to say whether anyone's career was ruined for raising concerns with the JAG Corps, because most commanders already play favorites, and can easily tank someone simply by withholding their favor, rather than going out of their way to gently caress them.

There are a lot of grey areas as well. I know there have been cases during the recent wars where pilots refused to commit to airstrikes that they thought were not permitted by their rules of engagement, and their superiors simply found someone who would. The thing is, RoE are mostly self-imposed standing orders, not statutory laws, and concepts like "acceptable risk" and "self defense" are not always as clear cut as we would like. It's quite possible for both sides to have had reasonable interpretations.

You didn't ask about grey areas though. I'll preface this by saying that the concept of a blatantly unlawful order coming all the way down from the National Command Authority, through all the intermediate layers of command, to a company grade officer is such a radical hypothetical that a lot is going to turn on the details of the situation. But assuming I got a memo straight from the top saying, "DR, I need you hook this detainee up to a car battery - Barry O." no, I wouldn't do it. Lord knows I clashed with my superiors, to my detriment, over far less consequential matters of operations and policy. I wouldn't particularly care if my career suffered either. If it got to the point where I was being given facially illegal orders with the acquiescence of my superiors, my command would no longer be the mostly good (if somewhat hidebound and frequently stupid) organization I had dedicated my service to, and my career would soon be over one way or another.

You're really asking the wrong question though. In the military, far more damage is done by commanders who prioritize results and foster a climate where they look the other way or never question how those results are obtained, than is caused by those rare few who explicitly order their subordinates to commit unlawful acts.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

quote:

All the enhanced interrogation stuff was done by the CIA
A bunch of army personnel was involved in the abu gharib poo poo.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

EwokEntourage posted:

Yeah, but that wasn't sanctioned by the White House or their command, which is why Lynndie England ended up doing a year and change in the brig and has a felony record now. Pro tip to aspiring war criminals: your odds of going to jail go down the more senior government officials you can have documented as having knowledge of and consent to your actions.

See also my earlier comment about commanders who don't actually order anything illegal but choose to not ask questions.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

EwokEntourage posted:

I remember some news show went back to shithole county bumfuck to find the one PFC or whatever that got photographed with a pile of naked detainees and she's basically the whitest trash ever, worse than Tonya Harding.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

FAUXTON posted:

I remember some news show went back to shithole county bumfuck to find the one PFC or whatever that got photographed with a pile of naked detainees and she's basically the whitest trash ever, worse than Tonya Harding.

Lynndie England?

Born November 8. It was a sign.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Platystemon posted:

Lynndie England?

Born November 8. It was a sign.

That's the one!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tal2ihKSdr8

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot
I remember that time I hated a lieutenant who worked for me and told the sergeant first class on patrol with him to kill him and blame the Taliban, confident he'd never disobey an illegal order. The rest of the deployment was much less aggravating after that, I can tell you. The culture of following all illegal orders really made things easier on us officers now that every private has a JD and reads all of the government travel regulations for fun and just instantly identifies every order that might violate a rule.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

This entire line of discussion was a non-starter.

Grunts as a line of defense in ethical disasters as complex, notorious, and apparently legitimized as the Gitmo torture program? Have you been for real this entire time?

If you do fully honestly think something different would have happened if you Mr Constitutional and International Law Buff were there, I mean, fanfiction is a thing, but Jesus this issue has been a tripwire for everyone involved excepting for those who set it up and prepared shaky legitimacy for it at high levels in the first place.

This and stuff like it was/is well beyond the initiative of the boots. Maybe some can blow whistles and get hosed in the process, but refusing illegal orders isn't a factor in avoiding this poo poo.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

Dead Reckoning posted:

Yeah, but that wasn't sanctioned by the White House or their command, which is why Lynndie England ended up doing a year and change in the brig and has a felony record now. Pro tip to aspiring war criminals: your odds of going to jail go down the more senior government officials you can have documented as having knowledge of and consent to your actions.

See also my earlier comment about commanders who don't actually order anything illegal but choose to not ask questions.

I don't generally tend to engage in conspiracies, but I don't buy for a minute that there wasn't at least implied approval of this from superior officers. Your statement about having documentation seems to imply that in your post as well. I find it easy to believe that someone told the ppl involved to "enhance interrogation" the prisoners and then, at a minimum, turned a blind eye

I'm not really interested in discussing this subject and prolly wont follow up ( as fair notice). As I don't think we are disagreeing that much but not gonna put the effort in to delineate it

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009
PREDICTIONS

The best pick from Trump's SCOTUS list is Gorsuch. He will not be put up for consideration.

I'm betting they'll put up Sykes (female with conservative views is great optics as a sword and shield, not just in confirmation process but also in conservative decisions that come down for the next 20 years) though obviously Pryor is the other front runner.

Whoever is named will get confirmed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Potato Salad posted:

This entire line of discussion was a non-starter.

Grunts as a line of defense in ethical disasters as complex, notorious, and apparently legitimized as the Gitmo torture program? Have you been for real this entire time?

If you do fully honestly think something different would have happened if you Mr Constitutional and International Law Buff were there, I mean, fanfiction is a thing, but Jesus this issue has been a tripwire for everyone involved excepting for those who set it up and prepared shaky legitimacy for it at high levels in the first place.

This and stuff like it was/is well beyond the initiative of the boots. Maybe some can blow whistles and get hosed in the process, but refusing illegal orders isn't a factor in avoiding this poo poo.
This discussion started with Heronymous and twodot smugly declaring that the military is composed of unquestioning moral midgets who would/are follow(ing) illegal orders, which is what I took exception to, especially since twodot can't explain on what basis indefinitely detaining enemy combatants is illegal.