Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

d0grent posted:

Oh dang I thought beyond the permafrost was their first album I forgot they had one before that. And I'm still listening through all your posts, I've never gotten this many recommendations at once, thanks guys.

Every 3-4 months I ask for recs in here and inevitably get a poo poo ton of great stuff. The thread has a lot of weirdo dorks in it but also plenty of posters with good taste and an encyclopedia of metal knowledge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

murked by dragon posted:

It always makes me laugh, A human heart is basically the archetypal metal elitist, finding joy only in ancient demos and obscure labels

Are you retarded? I listen to all kinds of things, my point was that much of the best metal coming out is on the smaller(not necessarily tiny or unknown) more underground labels, e.g. Iron Bonehead or Invictus or whoever, or alternatively is being done by newer bands that are not very well known yet. That guy listed basically three bands that are very well known and determined from that that no good black/thrash is being released anymore, which is ridiculous.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
It's 2017, all of this obscure music is on YouTube. The elitists are actually benevolent patrons whose guiding light/darkness will prevent you from accidentally clicking on a Blackguard video while listening to Skeletonwitch.

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Just randomly checked up on Dodecahedron, looks like they've got something new coming pretty soon. I thought their debut from 2012 was great. This also sounds wicked.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCvoDGrvVWQ

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

vulcano totally owns

semi-related but i forgot about these guys. kinda like old kreator but 15% more savage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttb-Pc_h4bY

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

A human heart posted:

Are you retarded? I listen to all kinds of things, my point was that much of the best metal coming out is on the smaller(not necessarily tiny or unknown) more underground labels, e.g. Iron Bonehead or Invictus or whoever, or alternatively is being done by newer bands that are not very well known yet. That guy listed basically three bands that are very well known and determined from that that no good black/thrash is being released anymore, which is ridiculous.

I think you've mis-read that one. He was specifically asking asking about recommendations as compared to early Skeletonwitch. Nothing was said about, "What is the best blackened thrash?" The bands I mentioned are just my recommendations based on this. Not a best of blackened thrash list. It's ok. English is tough and we're arguing over sub-genre's of music on the inter webs. You're still probably more underground, trv and kvlt than me.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
So apparently Wintersun have finished a new album. Not Time II mind you, just some different, but full-fledged Wintersun album. And it's 100% done, and they'll be announcing details soon.

As comical as the whole Time debacle has been, I cannot deny that my interest is, in fact, piqued.

Extra Comprehensible Version for the lexically challenged:

New Wintersun album done. Not Time II, different album. Band tell more soon. Wintersun funny, but me interested.

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

Nordick posted:

So apparently Wintersun have finished a new album. Not Time II mind you, just some different, but full-fledged Wintersun album. And it's 100% done, and they'll be announcing details soon.

As comical as the whole Time debacle has been, I cannot deny that my interest is, in fact, piqued.

Extra Comprehensible Version for the lexically challenged:

New Wintersun album done. Not Time II, different album. Band tell more soon. Wintersun funny, but me interested.

Thanks. Now I know that there's a bad album coming out, instead of having to guess.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Anyone have recommendations for instrumental stuff similar to Tempel or Keith Merrow? Low on weedly weedly, high on riffs.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Hulk Krogan posted:

Anyone have recommendations for instrumental stuff similar to Tempel or Keith Merrow? Low on weedly weedly, high on riffs.

electro quarterstaff? slightly more noodly but it fits the bill

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Ooh I had forgotten about them! Gretzy is a sick album.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->

Hulk Krogan posted:

I've been listening to Zebulon Pike recently. They're cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYcaKgca-hY

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

david crosby posted:

Thanks. Now I know that there's a bad album coming out, instead of having to guess.

Yeah if it's not Time II then what's the point?

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
It's new Wintersun, I don't give a poo poo what the title on the cover is. I'm not convinced it'll be awesome necessarily, but I sure as hell wanna hear it to find out.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
Jari is pulling a Pain of Salvation, he'll release another album at some point and then declare that it was secretly Time II

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Vulture Culture posted:

Jari is pulling a Pain of Salvation, he'll release another album at some point and then declare that it was secretly Time II

My thought was along this line, I assume he got a wake up call that the material was iffy so Time II is now magically another album yet to come.

Still want to hear it though.

goat stimulator
Feb 14, 2012

turn riffs into a weapon
the new arizmenda album and that new goatmoon track own. riffs for days.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

mooglesoft posted:

the new arizmenda album and that new goatmoon track own. riffs for days.

Arizmenda never disappoints.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
I was just farting around and saw that Sepultura released a single recently. So I listened to it. Why? Why did I do that to myself?! You guys should have stopped me!!!

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

WAR DOGS OF SOCHI posted:

I was just farting around and saw that Sepultura released a single recently. So I listened to it. Why? Why did I do that to myself?! You guys should have stopped me!!!

All you have to do is ask yourself this question whenever you hear about a new Sepultura release: is the current year greater than 1991? If so, don't listen to it.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

Oldstench posted:

All you have to do is ask yourself this question whenever you hear about a new Sepultura release: is the current year greater than 1991? If so, don't listen to it.

I don't want to know a world without Jello Biafra's Biotech is Godzilla. I like to pretend that in '96 Sepultura crashed deep in the Brazilian jungle and Max Cavalera had to eat the rest of the band just to survive.

R.I.P. Sepultura.

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

Oldstench posted:

I might get in trouble for saying this, but Chaos AD is good.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Nordick posted:

It's new Wintersun, I don't give a poo poo what the title on the cover is. I'm not convinced it'll be awesome necessarily, but I sure as hell wanna hear it to find out.

It's going to have the worst guitar tone in the world and a million stupid synths layered on it.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Derrick Green was my neighbor in the late 90s and I'd talk to him about music scene stuff here and there but that was about it until one day he's like "so yeah looks like I'm joining Sepultura" and I'm like Sepultura? The huge Brazilian band Sepultura? Yeeeahhh ok dude sure. Pretty sure that was the last time I talked to him. Welp that's my story :downs:

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
Here's a romanian band that I've heard of recently. They've been around apparently for quite some time, at least at some point playing death metal, which can still be felt in their latest songs. This songs combines quite nicely folk and rough(er) metal. I found myself listening to their stuff quite often in the last few weeks:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCoh2ibRVK4

While this video is the most "professional" one that they have (that I know of), there are quite a few unofficial ones out there of other (better) songs:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=la6O-JIbP3g
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0y-bbtYaY_c

They have a bandcamp page as well (https://bucovina.bandcamp.com/) and quite a few unofficial youtube clips. I am not affiliated with them in any way. I do like them, and I am Romanian. But that's the extent of my "affiliation".

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

david crosby posted:

I might get in trouble for saying this, but Chaos AD is good.

chaos ad rules

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EH32zuHabF4

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

And that man, ladies and gentleman, went on to become the CEO of Exxon and Trump's Secretary of State. True story

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.

Nordick posted:

It amuses me that Time was simultaneously released and literally delayed forever.

I wouldnt mind another album like their first since the extreme power metal scene is pretty much dead, but Time 1 was real bad.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I like Time I as well. :shrug: It's not as good as the debut, but still a good piece of bombast.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I also enjoyed Time I.

goat stimulator
Feb 14, 2012

turn riffs into a weapon
considering their computers apparently were the reason for time I's delay and it turned out to be garbage i wouldn't count on them writing anything good in the future

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.

Nordick posted:

I like Time I as well. :shrug: It's not as good as the debut, but still a good piece of bombast.

It would have been better if it wasn't half interlude and half symphonic wank

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Defiant Sally posted:

It amuses me that Time was simultaneously released and literally delayed forever.

I wouldnt mind another album like their first since the extreme power metal scene is pretty much dead, but Time 1 was real bad.

OK I've heard lots of sub-subgenre names in my time but what exactly would be extreme power metal? Dragonforce?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

DeusExMachinima posted:

OK I've heard lots of sub-subgenre names in my time but what exactly would be extreme power metal? Dragonforce?

No, it would be Wintersun and other power metal bands with occasional harsh vocals and influence from other subgenres.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

Y'all are gonna DIG my pimp-rear end upcoming extreme Viking melo-power-deathcore EP.

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.

DeusExMachinima posted:

Well most people call poo poo like Wintersun melodic death metal but I think that's a bit of a stretch.

Basically yes just power metal with growling and extra guitar noodling.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

i liked that whoever recorded this man knew what song he was singing

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

Defiant Sally posted:

Well most people call poo poo like Wintersun melodic death metal but I think that's a bit of a stretch.

Basically yes just power metal with growling and extra guitar noodling.

So Amon Amarth?

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
extreme power metal:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snI-FiyM7Dg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Misandry Cannon
Mar 7, 2012
I might have linked this before? In case I haven't though.

Mountain God - Forest of the Lost

Really loving good sludge.