Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Ok after going through like 140 energy on the macro I average around 2% of trust on my units. At this rate I'll be done with this tm farm group by march :shepface:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yunvespla
Jan 21, 2016

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Ok after going through like 140 energy on the macro I average around 2% of trust on my units. At this rate I'll be done with this tm farm group by march :shepface:

Is there any reason to sacrifice large percentages of my life to try and get these? What is at the end game that's so difficult you are forced to do this? Why did they make it so difficult, is it mostly for arena?

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
If you look low on lapis, bring up a spreadsheet and take notes on story missions. If I complete what's left I'll earn over 4080, even doing it via refreshes will be incredibly profitable. Lapis for 11pulls are only a matter of time away.

If I'm not letting a TM macro roll I'll be doing this on the phone while on the exercise bike.

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Jan 7, 2017

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Getting roughly 2% of a TM per unit from 140 energy is beating the average BTW.

Fiss
Jul 20, 2009

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Yeah that video pretty much should be used against Gumi to get their poo poo sorted out in regards to the pulls. There is 0 reason to not have the pull dynamics be the same with the japanese version. There isn't something more hosed up than getting a rainbow crystal and it be a loving vanille or rosa.

Thing is though it would of still taken him 600 pulls to get Dark Fina with JP summon changes. JP summon changes didn't change the pull rate of banner 5* he just of would of gotten other 5* bases instead of vanille or rosa or any of the other troll rainbows. Granted getting other 5* bases would of been a lot better than the trolls he got but it's still 600 pulls (~$1500) to get one unit.

Cry Havoc
May 10, 2004

This cyberpunk cartoon avatar is pretty dang ol' good, I tell you what.
save your lapis for tm grinding and good banner dailies friends :eng101:

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

Evil Fluffy posted:

Getting roughly 2% of a TM per unit from 140 energy is beating the average BTW.

Yeah, the rule of thumb is 1% per 100 energy. With quests and time you generate about 300 energy per day, so you can expect perfect macroing to pay off at 3% TM per day without using lapis. If you are using lapis, you save a day of macroing every 300/[Max energy] refills (in my case it's ~4 refills)

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Noctis was my third pull on his banner, I linked someone dropping well over a grand and not getting him and ragequitting. That same guy had enough of everybody else to make one TM of everything just by mashing. I think it's RNG.

Considering how many pulls these people do I think it's even clearer that it's RNG, just not a very kind one with how we don't have the JP guaranteed whateveritwas base on rainbow.

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jan 7, 2017

Yunvespla
Jan 21, 2016

cosmicprank posted:

Is there any reason to sacrifice large percentages of my life to try and get these? What is at the end game that's so difficult you are forced to do this? Why did they make it so difficult, is it mostly for arena?

Can someone answer this please? I realize it might have come across brash, but I want to know if there is an actual reason for getting the TMs or if you can beat the base game without them, at least.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

I finally broke down and set up a TM macro and now my computer is happily grinding away faster than I ever could have done.

Its a stupid design flaw, if they intended these rewards to be extremely rare and only for the dedicated, then they needed to crack down hard on macros but they didn't, and now its too late, they have to let us TM macro or its not fair for newer players. At this point if they wanted to discourage macros they need to revamp the TM system such that someone who plays normally can expect to get one from each unit of the party every 2-3 weeks or so.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
We haven't really had content requiring TMs outside of Maxwell's super-early unexpected Trial, where a Dualcast Refia made things so much easier it wasn't funny.

But more TMs just make your margins of error more generous in terms of completing content, if you've been unlucky on banner pulls.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

AegisP posted:

We haven't really had content requiring TMs outside of Maxwell's super-early unexpected Trial, where a Dualcast Refia made things so much easier it wasn't funny.

But more TMs just make your margins of error more generous in terms of completing content, if you've been unlucky on banner pulls.

It also seems to me that your melee units are pretty gimped without TM weapons. Mages can get by, but there's a big difference between having 40 ATK weapons and dual wielding 90+ ATK weapons.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008

Rigel posted:

It also seems to me that your melee units are pretty gimped without TM weapons. Mages can get by, but there's a big difference between having 40 ATK weapons and dual wielding 90+ ATK weapons.

Mages also seem to like getting built in Dual Black Magic, whereas native Dual-Wield is fairly precious.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
My only TM is Dualcast and I've been able to beat all content so far (and I don't think I would've needed DC for most recent stuff, I didn't have that OR Refia around for Maxwell). Now, I did draw a Luneth, which is some special BS, but they're not required if you had SOME gacha luck.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

cosmicprank posted:

Can someone answer this please? I realize it might have come across brash, but I want to know if there is an actual reason for getting the TMs or if you can beat the base game without them, at least.

You don't need to TM grind, and you can beat all story stuff without TM grinding or 5* base units.

Many of the posters here are minmaxers, and there's nothing wrong with that, but you shouldn't think it's the only way.

Rigel posted:

Opinions like this, for instance, are what I'm talking about.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Boy if that guy spending 1.5k to get dark fina was bad, I just read some guy spent the equivalent of like $6.2k to try and get a little girl in another japanese gacha game Fate Grand Order.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Yeah that video pretty much should be used against Gumi to get their poo poo sorted out in regards to the pulls. There is 0 reason to not have the pull dynamics be the same with the japanese version. There isn't something more hosed up than getting a rainbow crystal and it be a loving vanille or rosa.

That video would confirm to Gumi that its system works exactly as it's designed to. If the game's making money (and by all accounts it is) they aren't going to upend a major source of revenue.

They added the growing rate up system in Brave Frontier (eventually) and even have had "pull X times and get a bonus unit from this pool" at times but I'm not expecting to see either show up in this game any time soon, if ever. It'd be nice though.

cosmicprank posted:

No normal content requires TMs and no normal content will likely ever require them.

Trials, events, and other non-story stuff? They won't be "required" for those but they will absolutely make life less lovely by a significant margin.

AegisP posted:

Mages also seem to like getting built in Dual Black Magic, whereas native Dual-Wield is fairly precious.

That's in no small part due to how much better melee is than magic in this game.

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

cosmicprank posted:

You can definitely get by without TMs, they exist to supercharge characters, like Refia goes from a good healer to "your team is immortal as long as she's alive" with dualcast. There are plenty of characters who innately have the really good abilities too, like Exdeath isn't very hard to get, and at 6* has zero need for a dualcast TM because he comes with dual black magic. Same for melee characters with built in dual wield, though most (all?) of those are rare like Lightning and Luneth.

Think of TMs as rewards for whales, because outside macroing (which is banned in JP) and trust moogles, the only other way you're reasonably getting them is by having a lot of dupes, which is going to cost you a fortune for any rare character.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer

Palleon posted:

Did my first run at ELT Fina this morning. Her damage was bad but manageable, what wiped me when she still had 40% of her health remaining was Fenrirs Noctis getting confused and soloing my entire party before I could cast comeback.

Update: Thank you Dana for putting a Ribbon on your Noctis, managed to beat her with him at 500 HP and everyone else dead. Protip: Don't take her below the 50% and 30% thresholds in one turn.

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

Evil Fluffy posted:

That's in no small part due to how much better melee is than magic in this game.

I legitimately don't think they thought dual wield through originally, and just rolled with it once they realized the consequences. Attacking twice makes perfect sense, triggering your super powered abilities twice is ridiculous. Just lol if anyone thinks dual wielding Noctis Stopping 75% of the enemy team in one arena round is balanced (never mind that they're all almost certainly dead with an Exdeath chaining Blizzaga in as well)

Vax
Dec 29, 2011

delicious!

Cry Havoc posted:

save your lapis for tm grinding and good banner dailies friends :eng101:

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Kinda wish I had set this macro up weeks ago. If you have a computer that idles most of the day, there's really not a good reason not to do it other than "eh, I don't want to". Took me an hour to download everything and figure it out, but now I can just have this thing running every night when I go to bed, and I might get 5 TM's every month. My first TM team is Ludmille, Cecil, Agrias, and Gilgamesh (x2)

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
I'm working on making the ultimate Noctis, and I feel like I already know the answer to this question, but would he better served with Hero rings (given that his flasks are hybrid) or should I be grinding out Bracers for him?

Shark Tower
Dec 31, 2008

Dial-a-Dog posted:

I'm working on making the ultimate Noctis, and I feel like I already know the answer to this question, but would he better served with Hero rings (given that his flasks are hybrid) or should I be grinding out Bracers for him?

since hybrid uses half of both stats, flask would get +10% from a hero ring, and +15% from a bracer.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
Celestial Gloves, ideally, but yes Bracers.

Mrit SA
Nov 11, 2016

by Lowtax

Shark Tower posted:

since hybrid uses half of both stats, flask would get +10% from a hero ring, and +15% from a bracer.

Bracers aren't 30%, just 30 Atk.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
Assume a max-statpott'd Noctis with 188 base ATK and 180 base MAG:

500 ATK & 250 MAG (before accessories)
Hero Rings - 185,404
Bracers - 188,050

You can hit about 306 MAG wielding a Katana and using a max Siren. So that's not the highest realistic MAG you're going to hit on Noctis before factoring in Hero Rings, but it's pushing the limit before you start doing things like putting mage gear on and tanking your ATK. Meanwhile, that ATK is very low for a Noctis.

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
Yeah, I was trying to calculate that out, and I'm pretty sure the answer ends up being just go for ATK and wield a katana and don't worry too much about it. His other attacks hinge entirely on ATK anyway and I can probably make better use of the hero rings somewhere else

dangerous.hotdog
Feb 29, 2008
I'm glad all that stupid LB grinding I did for Cecil is finally paying off. Between Cecil's and friend Noctis's LBs plus Omni Veil, Dark Fina's damage felt pretty neutered. I accidentally pushed her past both 50% and 30% and ate a Meteor + Ultima but nobody died.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
My Cecil pot stuffage has had him at 16/25 for a while now, so technically he's ready to replace my current Cecil, but I've been wanting to farm out max DEF pots and some more HP on before I finally make the switch.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Cutest victory animations: Refia hugging the chocobo, Lid and Black Cat Lid bathing in whatever, what else is there?

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
Artemios casually murdering a dragon

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

a dead sazh with the choco chick popping up from his jacket

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy
Miyuki hiding behind her cloak

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Dial-a-Dog posted:

Artemios casually murdering a dragon

Not to mention a bunch of other poo poo that falls out of the sky. He needs a 6* just to see what else he drops.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Isn't there some Dwarven looking dude who chugs a barrel of mead?

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

AegisP posted:

Assume a max-statpott'd Noctis with 188 base ATK and 180 base MAG:

500 ATK & 250 MAG (before accessories)
Hero Rings - 185,404
Bracers - 188,050

You can hit about 306 MAG wielding a Katana and using a max Siren. So that's not the highest realistic MAG you're going to hit on Noctis before factoring in Hero Rings, but it's pushing the limit before you start doing things like putting mage gear on and tanking your ATK. Meanwhile, that ATK is very low for a Noctis.

does max siren have more magic than max shiva or something? shiva also has a surprisingly high attack boost, it seems like that would be the esper of choice for this calculation.

but yes tl;dr hybrid isnt worth it ever i dont think.

Pokemaster #421
Jul 14, 2005

For a swift one at the wrist, down on the old main drag.

MrLonghair posted:

Cutest victory animations: Refia hugging the chocobo, Lid and Black Cat Lid bathing in whatever, what else is there?

Haha even the people who update the wiki agree. They just put "Hugs a chocobo when you win and melts your heart" under Refias unit description on the rankings page. Made me chuckle. I'm always a fan when people add dumb little things like that

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

MrLonghair posted:

Black Cat Lid buries herself in a pile of money, Gold for 5 star and Silver if you're a 4 star peasant.

I'm still looking to put together an all chocobo party though. The Global staff need to go beyond just giving BE units 6 stars that Japan didn't get, and give us every variation of Boco

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008

rabidsquid posted:

does max siren have more magic than max shiva or something? shiva also has a surprisingly high attack boost, it seems like that would be the esper of choice for this calculation.

but yes tl;dr hybrid isnt worth it ever i dont think.

I, uh, may have somehow managed to type Siren while using, staring at, and looking up Shiva's stats.

• Locked thread