Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

GorfZaplen posted:

29-year-old programmer Suzuki Ichirou finds himself transported into a fantasy RPG with video game mecahnics. Within the game, he is a 15-year-old named Satou. Immediately after his arrival, he uses a unique power to destroy an army of lizardmen and becomes the most powerful human in the world as the army gave him tons of XP. He then saves the daughter of a noble from a monster, starts building a harem by saving several demi-human slave girls from abuse, defeats a powerful demon in one hit to become the city's saviour and in the process obtains two more slave girls to add to his harem.

This is the story of a 29 year old in the body of a 15 year old using his high stats and powers to build a harem in a fantasy RPG world with video game mechanics.

Aren't Reincarnation / Trapped in Another World novels like the "Little Sister" fad that was all the rage when Oreimo was popular?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Wark Say posted:

Aren't Reincarnation / Trapped in Another World novels like the "Little Sister" fad that was all the rage when Oreimo was popular?

Yes. The increasing amount of stories involving slaves is also a bit concerning.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

Wark Say posted:

I can't believe my little sister is a cute vending machine.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Wark Say posted:

Yeah and it's insanely bad.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

lets go back to when isekai was good, 90s shoujo

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Davincie posted:

I've only read Rayearth. Any recommendations?

edit: the first El-Hazard is other world and really good too but it's not shoujo.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
The only cool little sisters I can remember from around that time frame are:

Rina Yaegashi
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHh0zWTHI38
Komachi Hikigaya
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCMs3N-pfpU

Neither were exactly the main focus of their works, but both were awesome. Especially Komachi. Aoi Yuuki is generally awesome as hell. :3:

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

well i've only seen escaflowne but theres also 12 kingdoms and at least 1 more i cant think of

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Rayearth ruled. Even if the second season was kinda... something.

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Davincie posted:

well i've only seen escaflowne but theres also 12 kingdoms and at least 1 more i cant think of

Fushigi Yuugi is a big name one, though I don't know if it's actually any good.

Also gently caress yeah 12 Kingdoms is great.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Escaflowne is good, and I wish I had the time to rewatch it.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

GorfZaplen posted:

29-year-old programmer Suzuki Ichirou finds himself transported into a fantasy RPG with video game mecahnics. Within the game, he is a 15-year-old named Satou. Immediately after his arrival, he uses a unique power to destroy an army of lizardmen and becomes the most powerful human in the world as the army gave him tons of XP. He then saves the daughter of a noble from a monster, starts building a harem by saving several demi-human slave girls from abuse, defeats a powerful demon in one hit to become the city's saviour and in the process obtains two more slave girls to add to his harem.

This is the story of a 29 year old in the body of a 15 year old using his high stats and powers to build a harem in a fantasy RPG world with video game mechanics.

Done.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Davincie posted:

This.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Wait a minute now the Fushigi Yuugi ED theme is kicking in

I've made a horrible mistake

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

rear end I quoted the wrong post.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

let's go back to when srice was a good poster

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

littleorv posted:

Ah, those nostalgic days of earlier this page.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

littleorv posted:

!

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

z0glin Warchief posted:

Ah, those nostalgic days of earlier this page.

such a long time ago isn't it

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

z0glin Warchief posted:

Fushigi Yuugi is a big name one, though I don't know if it's actually any good.

Also gently caress yeah 12 Kingdoms is great.

Fushigi Yuugi was okay. But the problem is that that Yuu Watase doesn't know when to stop.

Seconding the 12 Kingdoms being incredibly :black101: opinion.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

What's the timeline of LN bandwagons, demon king->mmo->isekai/reincarnation?

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

you forgot imouto

Sorry Corals
Jan 2, 2010

THUMPER is like getting in a fistfight with Ramiel

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Sorry Corals posted:

THUMPER is like getting in a fistfight with Ramiel

The final boss in that game does the biggest, greatest gently caress you that I've maybe ever seen in a rhythm game.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

littleorv posted:

*Torn apart and tossed around all of time and space*

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Grunge -> Pop-Punk -> Nu-Metal -> Garage-Revival -> Emo -> Indie -> Lack of Effort -> Holy poo poo people want to suck Kevin Shields testicles again. -> Reunion Fever -> WHY HAS FUGAZI NOT REUNITED DAMMIT

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

I remember liking red river as far as 90s shoujo isekai goes

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Wark Say posted:

Grunge -> Pop-Punk -> Nu-Metal -> Garage-Revival -> Emo -> Indie -> Lack of Effort -> Holy poo poo people want to suck Kevin Shields testicles again. -> Reunion Fever -> WHY HAS FUGAZI NOT REUNITED DAMMIT

cause they suck rear end

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Davincie posted:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Davincie posted:

cause they suck rear end

Look, I'd like to think of myself as a reasonable person, especially towards goons with avatars using what is undoubtedly the Best Girl of a certain anime/manga where food and fanservice create something special and more often than not very very funny, so pardon my french-- BUT PLEASE TELL ME YOU DID NOT JUST TALK poo poo ABOUT FUGAZI, DAVINCIE. :toughguy:

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Davincie posted:

cause they suck rear end

begone troll

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Wark Say posted:

Rayearth ruled. Even if the second season was kinda... something.

Yeah, I read that Clamp kinda wanted to end it where the first series left off but because their readers were so young they felt like they had to continue it.

I didn't really like the second series (never got far in the anime) so I just assume the end of the first one is what's canon.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

my fav little sister

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

I tried to watch Rayearth for the first last year. I got bored of it pretty fast.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Yeah, I read that Clamp kinda wanted to end it where the first series left off but because their readers were so young they felt like they had to continue it.

I didn't really like the second series (never got far in the anime) so I just assume the end of the first one is what's canon.

Yeah, I recall reading that interview too. The one thing I remember is that, when they return from Cephiro for the first time, the girls are basically shell-shocked. All I keep thinking is "How the gently caress did CLAMP thought this would be an okay place to stop?". Like, now that I've read multiple Clamp works, I know that those ladies can have a nasty streak, but holy poo poo.

I recently rewatched the series and, while it does show its age, the first season still feels like it has overall good pacing. The second season has a bunch of problems, most of all in fact that it's longer but it feels like it should've been shorter, but at the very least the ending is (mostly) okay.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

trying to find the anime with GIS led me to a cool tweet i will now share

https://twitter.com/historyimg/status/731469860899688448

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

homeless snail posted:

my fav little sister

She is very powerful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

z0glin Warchief