Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Everything is possible once you let Jesus into your heart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

It was actually removing Jesus from his heart that lead to mega buff President!

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

Improbable Lobster posted:

Japanese copyright law is significantly less insane than American
well, there's stuff like decades old licenses to music used in games/anime expiring which hobbles the ability to rerelease them. or the TPP loving up ownership of works by authors (google ken akamatsu for a starting point)

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Japanese copyright law is absolutely as intense as US copyright law, it's just in regards to different things. They're super vigilant about takedowns for music.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

https://youtu.be/2RMfURKTHf4

3 hours of Araki drawing...

How can I say this...

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Japanese copyright law is absolutely as intense as US copyright law, it's just in regards to different things. They're super vigilant about takedowns for music.

As I understand it, the key thing that allows Araki to do his thing in Japan and not in the US is that US copyright law has a clause that requires a copyright holder to pursue action if they are aware of a violation or they will lose their copyright, whereas in Japan the copyright holder is allowed to let things slip by without incident.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

As I understand it, the key thing that allows Araki to do his thing in Japan and not in the US is that US copyright law has a clause that requires a copyright holder to pursue action if they are aware of a violation or they will lose their copyright, whereas in Japan the copyright holder is allowed to let things slip by without incident.

This helps, but the big difference is what protections exist for copyrights/trademarks/whatever the right name for this kinda thing is. In the USA you can't name one of your characters "Vanilla Ice" because that name is owned by someone else, and you are potentially harming their recognition by doing so. Otoh, you can make a comic with a depiction of IRL Vanilla Ice and that's fine. In Japan, it's the exact opposite: you can have your own character who just happens to be named Vanilla Ice, but you can't depict the real guy without his permission. So it's not so much that companies/bands are super chill in Japan, it's that Japan just cares about different things.

And when the anime is brought over, as I understand it, the only thing CR is responsible for are the content of the subtitles, because that's the only part created in the USA. So that's why we can get by with the video loudly declaring "BAD COMPANY" both vocally and in writing, because all that legally matters is the subs don't use that.

hoobajoo fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jan 7, 2017

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

That's only with trademarks, copyright only goes public domain over time.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

Josuke Higashikata posted:

https://youtu.be/2RMfURKTHf4

3 hours of Araki drawing...

How can I say this...
sports illustrated beach babes calendar in his work space, araki confirmed for straight

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I wasn't quite convinced after the wife and kids myself

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
A good omen for Part 5

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

In the SBR volumes he mentions that calendar was a gift and he feels sad every time he changes month "Ms. September we'll never meet again"

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

The reader being dense doesn't mean the writing is subtle.

I missed the moment in Part 5 where Fugo hosed off, never to return so you might be onto something.

I kept wondering "When the gently caress is this guy going to do something?"

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

EmmyOk posted:

In the SBR volumes he mentions that calendar was a gift and he feels sad every time he changes month "Ms. September we'll never meet again"
it's been a long time since sbr, so it must be a new one

the plot thickens..........

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

EmmyOk posted:

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Vengarr posted:

I missed the moment in Part 5 where Fugo hosed off, never to return so you might be onto something.

I kept wondering "When the gently caress is this guy going to do something?"

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I bet he even enjoys holding hands with girls

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
I empathize with Giorno because I am also happy to meet snakes

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I think the dumbest thing I managed to miss in jojo was in SBR when I missed that towards the end, hot pants and diego died. I know it seems like a decent amount of people miss hot pants dying because it just kinda happens so fast that you don't even notice what's happening with her, but somehow I just straight up didn't notice that diego had been bisected by the train lmao, I was just like "oh he's just lying on the ground now okay" and didn't notice his lower torso in the background

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I noticed that he was cut in half, but since I didn't realize Hot Pants was dead I didn't think he was done for either. As long as they got a flesh gun it doesn't matter what happens to them. Hell, even after she's dead they can still use it. Hot Pants was ultimate utility.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
I remember that Hot Pants died but I can't for the life of me remember how it happened.

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.
Just caught up to where the current translation ends for part 5. That thing really moves. Gio putting the Muda on to Cioccolata is going to rule so hard in the anime.

Is it just me, or does this part have a lot of stands that are some kind of virus, or are in some way a microscopic thing that fucks up your body. Off the top of my head there's Purple Haze, B.I.G, Metallica, Green Day, and Grateful Dead.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

This chapter cover is very amusing to me.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

WHAT IS GOING ON WITH HIS ABILITY AHHHHHHHHH

e: I'm still not really sure of the mechanics of how it works. Multiple realities but this one is the 'true' reality because this Valentine doesn't get screwed over or swapped out by other Valentines. Then he can pick and choose parts of realities and force them together? Which is how he made both DIO and Wekapipo be the person who shot Johnny?

e2: Lucy just boarded the boat, if anyone can explain how D4C works that would be great. Unless I am not supposed to know but both Johnny and DIO have explained it and I am still lost tbqh.

EmmyOk fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jan 8, 2017

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

There's a "how does King Crimson work?" meme on the band's facebook page :psyduck:

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Okay my best understanding so far of Valentine's power that still doesn't explain all the events is that he can't merge universes but he can move people. So he put a DIO and Wekapipo who both shot Johnny in the same universe and moved the copies of them to the corresponding universes which is why they didn't explode. However then I don't know how Johnny understands he was shot by both unless he also moved Johnny? Or maybe he can also merge universes. It's so unclear to me because I'm dumb

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

EmmyOk posted:

WHAT IS GOING ON WITH HIS ABILITY AHHHHHHHHH

e: I'm still not really sure of the mechanics of how it works. Multiple realities but this one is the 'true' reality because this Valentine doesn't get screwed over or swapped out by other Valentines. Then he can pick and choose parts of realities and force them together? Which is how he made both DIO and Wekapipo be the person who shot Johnny?

e2: Lucy just boarded the boat, if anyone can explain how D4C works that would be great. Unless I am not supposed to know but both Johnny and DIO have explained it and I am still lost tbqh.

The world that the story has followed is the main one to focus on.

Okay. So D4C confirms the multiverse theory as 100% correct. It's power is to be very strong and go into other dimensions. In those dimensions, generally something's different. There's one where the SBR is about diamonds instead of Corpse parts. There is only one Jesus across all the dimensions and that's why everyone keeps coming back to that same universe. So, if Valentine is almost about to be killed, he goes into another dimension and passes D4C to another version of himself to continue his work. Which is what I thought was the explanation for how his appearance started to improve. If two things- people included- from different dimensions come into contact, they destroy each other, except for President Valentine. He's immune to that. They have to be doppelgangers though. So two DIOs, two Johnnys, two Hot Pants, etc.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Archenteron posted:

There's a "how does King Crimson work?" meme on the band's facebook page :psyduck:

Having just finished Part 5, Gold Experience Requiem is much more confusing to me.

If only because there are quite a few scenes with King Crimson and only one with GER.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Also the first 6 parts of Jojo actually took place in a side universe, since that wasn't the universe with Jesus' Corpse.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

WrightOfWay posted:

Also the first 6 parts of Jojo actually took place in a side universe, since that wasn't the universe with Jesus' Corpse.

Nah, JoJo 1-6 are a series that doesn't have multiple universes while 7 and 8 are a series that does have multiple universes. I wouldn't expect alternate universes to show up again though, D4C was a pretty unique stand and I think it would be a waste to reuse it.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

They won't show up again but history has been molded by the existence of alternate universes

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

Improbable Lobster posted:

Nah, JoJo 1-6 are a series that doesn't have multiple universes

This is specifically untrue considering the end of part 6.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

This is specifically untrue considering the end of part 6.

The ending of part 6 was not a new universe

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
Part 7 has multiple parallel universes, part 6 has multiple versions of the timeline of a single universe.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

Jojo Wikia posted:

As time continues to travel, the universe will hit a "vanishing point", and a new universe will be created, where everything repeats itself, according to "fate".

Stone Ocean Wiki Page posted:

The final effects of Made in Heaven are completed when time accelerates to the end of the universe, leading to a new cycle of time and a parallel universe in its place where all surviving humans have precognitive understanding of fated actions in their lives.

Like, yeah they're wikis, but it seems like you are in the minority thinking that.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The pre-Made In Heaven universe got old and died, so Emporio bought a new universe where he could live with his moms and Weather Report and not Anasui in peace.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I just assumed the two powers just had nothing to do with each other. Like, there would be alternate universes pre-part 6 D4C could go through if he was there, but they aren't relevant since everything got reset anyway. By that same notion, Made in Heaven could reset the new universe too.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Spoilers ahead about made in heaven and D4C

Made in heaven's power is specifically to speed things up until a statistically exact copy appears, because statistically speaking, if it has already happened, there is a tiny chance of it happening again and the speed up allows for Pucci to reach that point exponentially faster than just waiting quintillions of years for it to happen naturally.

You know those thread cycles people post about on SA where it's like "such-and-such thread will eventually reach x conversation again"? It's that, except on a galactic, universal scale.

Whereas D4C is specifically dipping into parallel universes that are, themselves, separate entities, branches off the central universe where everything is based, where everything is similar but not exactly the same. These parallel universes all exist at the same time as the main universe where Christ exists, though they cannot interact with one another outside of through D4C's influence, and the argument can be made that they may not even exist outside of when D4C dips into them.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

this thread has reached the "talking about made in heaven" conversation again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
What are we due for next? Part rankings, credits song guesses, or talking about how annakiss and anasui aren't the same person?