Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Finally got my first 6 cultist run. Third chapter was pretty easy afterwards. Skids with an early Leo de Luca is amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Bottom Liner posted:

Just like MtG, melee games are poo poo.

Yeah, melee games are really their own beast and you have to go in expecting them to take 2-or-more times the length of a normal game, and aren't particularly well balanced in terms of people getting poo poo on. I've found 3-player melee is okay if you have good, quick playing, competent players, but I won't really bother with more than that.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Fat Samurai posted:

Finally got my first 6 cultist run. Third chapter was pretty easy afterwards. Skids with an early Leo de Luca is amazing.

We (4 players, standard difficulty) played this last night.

We were had interrogated 2 cultists, and 3 doom tokens on the final act. We were feeling pretty good about ourselves.

Roland was engaged with the Masked Hunter. Again, feeling pretty good about ourselves.

We go into the Mythos phase. I pulled the encounter that puts 2 doom on a cultist, which went on the Masked Hunter. Roland pulls the card that drags him to the center of town... and gets the token that adds a doom token to nearest Cultist. Skids pulls a card that requires a skill test, and gets the same token... The librarian pulls the cultist that gets a doom token each turn.

So, we went from 3 doom at the start of the mythos phase to 9 at the end. Furthermore, our monster killer was 2 moves away from the Masked Hunter. Skids did his best with his Derringer, but it wasnt enough.

We ran out of time. It was an amazing last turn of "How the hell do we do this?"

It was a great game.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

I'm going to be doing the final Scenario in a couple of hours, can't wait to see how we die horribly.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

dexefiend posted:

There was stuff about a Derringer in here.

I like the thought that went into the theme of the cards and the Derringer/.45 is a good example.

The .45 fits better than the Derringer with Skids, for whom money is usually not a problem and who usually punches hard enough that one extra attack matters less than one extra damage. If you're playing Skids, he's usually the physical, though guy, so being able to unload a full clip of high damage rounds is very useful. He can also pick Extra Ammo, so this isn't suicidal. And who has ever seen a gangster with a derringer? On Wendy's side, an orphan is more likely to be carrying around a small, concealable peashooter than a big gun. And she really needs that extra attack if she ends up fighting for some reason.

I like Zoey. Hopefully FFG doesn't do the "men are though and pack guns, women are cerebral (sane? whatever) and sling spells" thing that happened in Arkham and Eldritch (and I assume the rest of the lot)

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

GrandpaPants posted:

I just played a ridiculous 2h 4p melee game of GoT that I think killed all my interest in Melee. Board wipe after board wipe after board wipe and someone was playing Kings of Winter so that made it extra difficult to crawl back from the Valars and First Snows. It didn't help that the lineup was Tyrell big money (who just sorta got assed on character draws), Martell Rains for the Long Plan/Valar combo, me as Baratheon/NW to control out The Wall, and Lannister/Winter. Holy poo poo that was a slog.

If it's people you know well I'd honestly see about banning valar for big MP games. It's a poo poo card that just slows the game down big time as it's a stall for time tactic. Otherwise just play single player.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

The Black Stones posted:

If it's people you know well I'd honestly see about banning valar for big MP games. It's a poo poo card that just slows the game down big time as it's a stall for time tactic. Otherwise just play single player.

Counterpoint: it's a necessary card, the threat of which allows for strategies other than "rush for power"

A BIG FUCKING BLUNT
Nov 10, 2007

ConfusedUs posted:

Counterpoint: it's a necessary card, the threat of which allows for strategies other than "rush for power"

Agreed. It sucks for melee but its a necessary evil.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

A BIG loving BLUNT posted:

Agreed. It sucks for melee but its a necessary evil.

With multiple people running it in a mutliplayer game it becomes entirely possible that the game deadlocks where nobody has any units they can play because if everyone is dropping their Valar early then the game will go into multiple rounds.

The other board wipes aren't as bad because First Snow only bounces cheap units and Wildfire cuts you down to three.

I'd certainly consider banning it in Melee or at the very least make it a blank after the first time you trigger it. Maybe just put one in the center of the table and any player can declare they're using it instead of choosing one of their other plots.

Power rush in Melee is a thing but it also paints a giant target on your head and it's very hard to defend everyone. One thing I like about GoT melee is that it greatly incentivizes attacking the stronger players over the weaker ones and in doing so creating temporary alliances to knock down people who are on top. If everyone just gangs up on the weakest guy to get easy power, then you're playing it wrong because at that point you might as well just let whoever goes first win.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Ban Valar in melee, 100% agreed. It's a good card for the 1v1 design space but it creates a bog in multiplayer. It's like some of the worst offenders in EDH MtG.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Have first one resolve as Valar, and all following as Wildfire.

A BIG FUCKING BLUNT
Nov 10, 2007

Speaking of aGot; had a draft tournament yesterday and everyone agreed it was a ton of fun. I highly recommend it. The overall winner ended up being a Martell/Nights Watch deck with Power of Wealth agenda. He did end up losing one round to a guy who ran a Stark deck with Wolves of the North Catelyn, by simply farming power to 15 from board wipes and claim.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Is there a natural spot to fit in the Rougarou and Carnivale expansions into the core campaign, in your experience?

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Is there a natural spot to fit in the Rougarou and Carnivale expansions into the core campaign, in your experience?

Plot wise, the only place that makes sense is between scenarios 1 & 2

That said, my group jumping from S1 to Carnevale was a trainwreck.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

PJOmega posted:

Plot wise, the only place that makes sense is between scenarios 1 & 2

That said, my group jumping from S1 to Carnevale was a trainwreck.

You get about 6 XP from S1 and need to spend 3 XP each just to play Carnevale, so you can add maybe two slight upgrades to your deck, which sounds rough if Carnevale is meant to be difficult. Meanwhile if you play it solo, you get 9 XP to add to your character and don't need to spend any of it to play.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
The standalones really don't make sense at all plotwise in Night of the Zealot, the whole campaign is one evening. They're least intrusive to the story between The Gathering and Midnight Masks, because the finale is clearly meant to immediately follow MM and there's no time to gently caress off to the Bayou.

That said I usually do them both after Midnight Masks because they're hard and I'm a baby

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Both are basically that scene in Futurama where they go to Paris to find the werecar before checking a local factory.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Both are basically that scene in Futurama where they go to Paris to find the werecar before checking a local factory.

hahaha, pretty much

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Does anyone know if the one of the upcoming Arkham Horror expansions will be enough for deck building or will we need to buy two like the core set to have a full experience?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Does anyone know if the one of the upcoming Arkham Horror expansions will be enough for deck building or will we need to buy two like the core set to have a full experience?

Should contain 2 copies of each player card, so you should have enough for deckbuilding unless you need multiple decks.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Judging by the spoiled cards, 1 core, 1 dunwich won't really be enough to make a super strong deck. It'll be okay tho.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

The expansions should have a single playset of player cards, so there's no reason to need to buy two unless you want a playset in two separate decks.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
Played through the Curse of the Rougarou scenario with Roland solo this afternoon. I feel like I kinda cheesed it with upgraded Beat Cop and dynamite.

Being able to put damage on the Rougarou with an upgraded Beat Cop to get around the engagement requirement made it a bit easy. Since the cop specifies an enemy "at your location," you don't have to spend a clue to engage the Rougarou in order to exhaust the upgraded Beat Cop to whack the enemy for one damage. It also makes avoiding the horror from the curse a lot easier to manage.

It's a really fun scenario, and I look forward to playing it with my group.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Baron Fuzzlewhack posted:

Played through the Curse of the Rougarou scenario with Roland solo this afternoon. I feel like I kinda cheesed it with upgraded Beat Cop and dynamite.

5 health and 20 health are completely different conversations.

Did you have him running all the way across the board after doing each damage?

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

dexefiend posted:

5 health and 20 health are completely different conversations.

Did you have him running all the way across the board after doing each damage?

Yeah, every time. Made it pretty annoying having to keep going through the bayou location that forces you to lose two resources when you leave it.

Admittedly I got pretty lucky overall. One of the 4 health enemies got hacked down with a machete and 2x Vicious Blow in one swing.

It will definitely be much different with more players. It was still loads of fun solo.

Not Keyser Soze
Mar 7, 2007

Endless Celestial Sex

Fat Samurai posted:

I like Zoey. Hopefully FFG doesn't do the "men are though and pack guns, women are cerebral (sane? whatever) and sling spells" thing that happened in Arkham and Eldritch (and I assume the rest of the lot)

I just wanted to address this because we played a core campaign using proxies for Dunwich cards. My wife was using Zoey and this is absolutely not the case. Zoey doesn't splash as much as Roland and the big thing is she can take the Fire Axe. Once you've played your assets Zoey is, for all intents and purposes, Jason Voorhees. During Midnight Masks the rest of the group was clue hunting while a blood drenched Latina stalked the streets of Arkham, killing anyone in a hood and robes.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Did you hit Smite the Wicked at all? I'd imagine that would be a pain in the rear end as a roaming Zoey under the Masks time constraints.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Not Keyser Soze posted:

I just wanted to address this because we played a core campaign using proxies for Dunwich cards. My wife was using Zoey and this is absolutely not the case. Zoey doesn't splash as much as Roland and the big thing is she can take the Fire Axe. Once you've played your assets Zoey is, for all intents and purposes, Jason Voorhees. During Midnight Masks the rest of the group was clue hunting while a blood drenched Latina stalked the streets of Arkham, killing anyone in a hood and robes.

Good to know, thanks.

Is the Campaign book available somewhere? I won't get mine until the 20th.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Fat Samurai posted:

Good to know, thanks.

Is the Campaign book available somewhere? I won't get mine until the 20th.

There's the log here: https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_public/31/58/315827ac-a881-41c8-a1fb-436e32a6bf18/ahc02_campaign_log.pdf

ALLAN LASSUS
May 11, 2007

apul.prof./ass.prof.

Not Keyser Soze posted:

a blood drenched Latina

I think she's Greek though :chef:

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Oops, misread, I thought Not Kesyser was playing the full Dunwich game. I have the base already.

Thanks anyway. :)

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jan 12, 2017

Not Keyser Soze
Mar 7, 2007

Endless Celestial Sex
We hit smite the wicked once and a ghoul in a basement had a bad day.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
I went a little overboard with my Hobby Lobby box:

I am going to add some straps across the plush fabric top, so i can tuck rulebooks in them.

theroachman
Sep 1, 2006

You're never fully dressed without a smile...
:swoon:

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
drat son! That is pretty dang epic.

And Yay! Dunwich Legacy officially is released! https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/1/12/a-new-terror-comes-to-arkham/

A BIG FUCKING BLUNT
Nov 10, 2007

dexefiend posted:

I went a little overboard with my Hobby Lobby box:

I am going to add some straps across the plush fabric top, so i can tuck rulebooks in them.

It looks awesome my man, but that case would just make me want me to rob the contents even more if I was a thief.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

A BIG loving BLUNT posted:

It looks awesome my man, but that case would just make me want me to rob the contents even more if I was a thief.

Since i only play card games at my house or friends houses, i will be ok.

I agree with you though completely. Miniature gamers who keep their stuff in gun cases are the worst case of this.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

My FLGS says they'll have Dunwich Legacy in next week. Let the hype begin!

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

whoever described Zoey as a lady Jason Voorhees was not wrong

I feel bad for the monsters of Night of the Zealot, what Zoey and Jenny are doing to them is not right, or fair

Soothing Vapors fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Jan 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zerf
Dec 17, 2004

I miss you, sandman

Plavski posted:

My FLGS says they'll have Dunwich Legacy in next week. Let the hype begin!

Mine said that they'll have it at the end of next week, along with the four-player mat and Curse of Rougarou! Pretty pumped, since I'm in th EU and don't want to pay the obscene price for shipping.

What are people's thoughts on the two POD scenarios? Better than core ones? Worse? As spoiler-free opinions as possible, thanks :)