Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I hope whoever signs Durant next year cuts him so he just retires out of shame

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Mr. Mambold posted:

Never kick out for a maybe 3,
dumping the load on the perimeter guy
when you're only a eurostep out
or posting up fearfully.
Because I wouldn't stop,
Boogie kindly stopped for me.

- Emily Low Post Dickinson

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Mambold ojii-san knew Emily Dickinson personally!

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

J.R. Smith's baby was born 5 months premature and weighing about a pound :(

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Ladies come collect ya mans

https://twitter.com/aminespn/status/817807447222054912

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

The forums just ate a big post I made :doh: Must've been the thread title change.

Time posted:

Bizort made almost the exact same posts about Lebron when he was coming out too.

And Dwight Howard and Steve Kerr being hired as GSW head coach.

straight up brolic posted:

I did it, I found my favorite Giannis post.

:lol:

DeimosRising posted:

His point is the players won't be pumped for a pick increase, that's just a young talented guy they have to compete with and who will probably not, in the life of the next contract, be a game changer. That's a huge incentive for owners and GMs, and fans, but not so much for players or even coaches, the only people you're actually trying to inspire. Give 'em money.

I'm skeptical that even $$$ will be a big motivator for guys already rolling in money. Especially in June after 100+ games.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

NickRoweFillea posted:

Mambold ojii-san knew Emily Dickinson personally!

A fine lady. A bit eccentric and prone to the vapours though

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

ex post facho posted:

not arguing this either, its just that the way the modern nba and its playoff system works makes it almost impossible for a team that hasn't lucked into a generational talent to win its championship, which i dont believe is true of any other league

It's more the nature of game of basketball itself than the NBA playoff system. MLB has the same system but it's a lot more unpredictable.

What you're proposing does not make sense on many different levels. The owners would make a lot less $$$.

There would be a tinge of humor if a team like the Warriors won 73 games and then had one bad game and lost to an 8 seed although it'd make the regular season seem really pointless. NFL has to do one game playoffs because the players would probably look like they'd come out of a war zone after three or four best of seven series.

Lockback posted:

If you want more parity, you need to tighten the cap and make it harder for teams that put together good teams via luck or intelligent management to keep them together. You can make arguments both ways for that, but overall I don't think there is a lot of pressure to make it harder to keep teams together.

Even with all teams being perfectly equal your favorite team has a great 1 in 30 shot of winning the title. The desire for equality in sports is one of the more peculiar things. Especially considering equality in most facets, in all kinds of fields is basically and effectively a lie. It's only authentic in very abstract and idealistic theories. When someone wants equality we can distill that down to basically the desire that people want all players to be equal or have equal value players on their teams. But if there are thirty LBJs in the league then he's nothing special at all. He becomes just a normal rotation player.

This isn't even getting into the aspect how people talk about "equality" only referring to positive/good things and excluding any negative/bad things. It'd be dire if every team had a Rose/Rondo backcourt.

Also, if all teams were equal then the league would possibly stagnate and regress into a worse product. Every year we're witnessing evolution and improvement in team strategy and individual skill.

Nobody remembers or even cares about the teams that went 41-41 or had SRS, MOV or SOS in the 0.0 range even though these teams exist. That's what parity would bring. Equality is a lie.

Rick posted:

Considering how weak the Warrior's schedule has been and the fact that they've lost most of their challenging games doesn't really make me feel like the talent is too concentrated with them. If they were blowing the Cavs and Spurs out every night I'd feel like maybe they were bad for the league but the Warriors are supposed to make bad teams look worse.

They're basically #1 in both DRtg and ORtg right now.

Zogo fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jan 8, 2017

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Paul Zuvella posted:

Hockey is a crapshoot, average teams win the Stanley cup all the time.

Paul Zuvella posted:

I don't watch hockey to be completely frank.

The NHL is more predictable than the MLB and NFL but less so than the NBA.

ex post facho posted:

well yea that's my point. its a superstar driven league. if you're a fan of a team that doesn't have lebron/curry/popovich on it, you might as well just resign yourself for the next 8-10 years and hope that your team's management is smart enough to tank to the bottom shamelessly and still make the right decision on draft night.

as uch as i enjoy stuff like the clippers losing to houston, who loving cares? its currys and brons all the way down

There are millions of people who don't know that.

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

8 teams. The Thunder made it in 2012

Nine teams. Cavaliers, Lakers, Warriors, Celtics, Spurs, Magic, Heat, Mavericks, Thunder.

ex post facho posted:

...hope that your team's management is smart enough to tank to the bottom shamelessly and still make the right decision on draft night.

When has that worked?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Lockback posted:

I am ok with this. Draymond is better offensively than Gobert by a fair bit and only a little behind defensively.

I was reading posts I missed to see if any of my old Giannis posts got quoted (I didn't think he was going to be good either) and this made me very mad

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Hokey, sentimental hogwash!

Dejan Bimble posted:

...and I'd like to see Reggie Jackson cremated on live tv

ISIS does this.

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Proposal: In any situation where the ball is being inbounded, the game and shot clocks should always round up to 1 second if it is ever less.

With the amount of stupid reviews at the end of the game it'd be a decent proposal to allow one FINAL shot (no more passes) after the buzzer goes off.

Save everyone a lot of time and stop all this .4, .8, .5 BS with ten minute reviews.

"League sources say the Bulls have been uncertain about building around Butler..." :eyepop: As long as people keep attending games the Bulls will keep doing this. It's just like the Cubs.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

MourningView posted:

I was reading posts I missed to see if any of my old Giannis posts got quoted (I didn't think he was going to be good either) and this made me very mad

I remember you mostly just trying to pump the brakes a little and be reasonable

which of course is the wrong approach in the fast-paced world of comparing mysterious prospects to superstars

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

chunkles posted:

I remember you mostly just trying to pump the brakes a little and be reasonable

which of course is the wrong approach in the fast-paced world of comparing mysterious prospects to superstars

Yeah pretty much. I did not anticipate him getting so good at everything else that being completely unable to shoot wouldn't matter

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Rick posted:

It's really depressing to look at that Lakers chart and realize they only won two games over that stretch despite having double digit leads often in the second quarter of games.

Generally, the first and third quarters are the important ones. What goes on in the second and fourth actually usually don't matter as much.

Rick posted:

Stat peoples, does anyone track the lead swings over games? I would be interested in using that for some theories. I also think it could possibly be more informative than final score.

There's this thing:
http://stats.inpredictable.com/nba/wpBox.php?season=2016&month=01&date=2017-01-06&gid=0021600550

Lockback posted:

I am ok with this. Draymond is better offensively than Gobert by a fair bit and only a little behind defensively. I wouldn't start Draymond but I absolutely think he should be on the short list for all-star bench.

In what way? Gobert has strong O numbers and also is the best shooting C in the whole league.

kiimo posted:

Also when Wilt came to retire his KU jersey when I was in college there were plenty of people who had no idea who he was.

:vince:

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Crazy Ted posted:

52 points on 20 FGA is absolutely nuts.

There wasn't individual game logs until 1964, so I'm curious what kind of Game Score Wilt's 100-point or 55-rebound games would have racked up.

60+ GmSc seems like a very safe bet. 70+ is still a good bet. He had 25 rebounds and 2 assists in his 100 point game.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

chunkles posted:

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Somewhere in Houston there's a 10 year old girl pulling down rebounds and hand checking the gently caress outta people

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
My local cable provider no longer carries Pelican games so I cut the cord.

Trying out the PlayStation Vue service free trial and it does carry the local Fox Sports regional station that shows Pels games, so I'm happy. $35 a month and I can stream from 5 devices at once, on phone, PS4, and browser.

Quality is no worse than what I was used to; maybe slightly better. It also has some limited DVR capabilities.

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

https://twitter.com/ATLHawks/status/817858188833865732

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
WE BACK https://twitter.com/ErikHorneOK/status/817901279657787392

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae
https://twitter.com/boogiecousins/status/817901214964662272

https://twitter.com/boogiecousins/status/817901259793412096

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Thank you for the website, Zogo. I will give it a whirl.

EvanTH posted:

Not to always be the "Melo Sucks!" guy but the play Zing fouled out on happened because Melo went to the rim with some utterly weak garbage rather than a kick out to an open three point shooter, got his lame rear end thoroughly blocked by Giannis which started a break that Zing had to defend, which he did, getting a block but crashing into someone else on the rebound.

Melo can't (or won't?) jump anymore. Knicks players know this and don't toss him alley-oops for a few seasons now but last year on the Olympic team and during the all-star game the rest of the league was finding this out as wide open oop passes would sail over his head and out of bounds again and again. A few years ago he seemed like the best interior scorer in the league, amazing at bodying folks and finding space where there's none, but now he's not that.

It's because he currently dresses like a 1918 California Rush Gold Miner (he should've stayed a Nugget) while playing basketball. He'll jump for joy if someone places a gold piece in his water pan before each quarter.

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

The Smashmouth tweet was deleted, what was that about?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Brown Paper Bag posted:

They are fed up with Draymond Green!

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

Brown Paper Bag posted:

He periodically rants about Bay area sports teams.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Mo Williams isn't gonna play a single game for Atlanta, including him in the media seems a little condescending.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Draymond kick the eggs

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Redgrendel2001 posted:

this is very upsetting

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Redgrendel2001 posted:

So Light

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHeAHaxW0nI

Remember watching this live.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

https://twitter.com/basketballtalk/status/817914509809463296

I noticed that Boogie really started to poo poo sunshine and rainbows about the Kings situation a few days before the reveal of the new CBA and the God maxes.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Oh poo poo

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Redgrendel2001 posted:

https://twitter.com/basketballtalk/status/817914509809463296

I noticed that Boogie really started to poo poo sunshine and rainbows about the Kings situation a few days before the reveal of the new CBA and the God maxes.

Boogie always talked about staying with the Kings and wanting it to work here but no one could hear him over the sound of Simmons mashing keys on his keyboard

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

I loving hate myself for laughing at this

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
westbrook can apparently hit 3s now

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

:(

https://twitter.com/ATLHawks/status/817933966560792576

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Korver has "all the elements of Cavs DNA" according to the Cavs GM, unwittingly revealing the Cavs cutting edge doping routine.

e: Imagine how terrifying LeBron is going to be after they splice in Korver's 3 point shooting gene

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

lmbo

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
Gettin' real tired of the Raptors losing to the Bulls

Gettin' real tired of Masai doing nothing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
lol raptors

• Locked thread