Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Plebian Parasite posted:

The big thing is 'ending' the game deletes your save pretty much, so don't do it unless you're finished.

it does not. the game saves very regularly, and you can load a save from before you end the game.

this confused me when i did it too... you never need to touch the save menu before you beat the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.

Bill Barber posted:

Don't worry he already youtubed the ending like a week ago.

no i didnt. anyways i beat the town. i accidentally brute forced the 3x3 puzzle in the house where you cant really solve it until you finish like the rest of the puzzles in the zone, so i skipped like the whole other house which seemed to be full of puzzles where the room color affects the color of the stuff on the puzzle. anyways i completed the rest of it and am now in the mountain and wow its really fuckin cool

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.
i know im being a fake gamer by not finishing the rest of the puzzles there but im in a cooler zone now and don't want to go back

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

soz for the triple post but jeez man.. these misaligned puzzles are freaking crazy. im gonna have to take a break this game is frying my brain :sweatdrop:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

rediscover posted:

i know im being a fake gamer by not finishing the rest of the puzzles there but im in a cooler zone now and don't want to go back

That's ok, I haven't played in a bit because part of me wishes there was a mode I could toggle on that just told me what all the rules were.

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

In Training posted:

That's ok, I haven't played in a bit because part of me wishes there was a mode I could toggle on that just told me what all the rules were.

i know the rules like the back of my hand.. if you got questions about puzzle rules im your man

White Genocide
Feb 22, 2010

there was a guy who once got owned for being TOO good at the witness. its like a tightrope

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

seems like these days u can get flamed for pretty much anything in these mean streets

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

In Training posted:

Treat it like a metroidvania only instead of powerups you're looking for tutorials.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Plebian Parasite posted:

Treat it like a metroidvania only instead of powerups you're looking for tutorials.

yes, like toki tori 2

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

White Genocide posted:

there was a guy who once got owned for being TOO good at the witness. its like a tightrope

lol

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

the mountain or The End or whatever you want to call it was easily my favorite section of the witness. the puzzles were batshit but for some reason i was able to solve them relatively easily. like there was only a couple that i got super stuck on like the room with the (very minor puzzle spoilers) orange/blue floating paths you had to maneuver from both sides in various formations until you got it right to progress but drat did it feel amazing to finally figure it out. The Witness is the greatest puzzle game I've ever played and im still hungry for more. heard the talos principle is at least a little bit similar, is it worht playing? heard good things about it but also some bad things

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

mildly disappointed by the ending but i was warned there wwasn't going to be anything super revelatory so i still thought it was pretty win. jonathan blow is a smart guy and i hope his next game is this good

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

rediscover posted:

the mountain or The End or whatever you want to call it was easily my favorite section of the witness. the puzzles were batshit but for some reason i was able to solve them relatively easily. like there was only a couple that i got super stuck on like the room with the (very minor puzzle spoilers) orange/blue floating paths you had to maneuver from both sides in various formations until you got it right to progress but drat did it feel amazing to finally figure it out. The Witness is the greatest puzzle game I've ever played and im still hungry for more. heard the talos principle is at least a little bit similar, is it worht playing? heard good things about it but also some bad things

Talos is interesting in that even though its very similar the level flow feels completely the opposite. The Witness has you getting crushed by indecipherable puzzles in the beginning and crushing insane challenges at the end like it's nothing because you've mastered the mechanics. Talos starts you very simple and easily but the puzzles are ridiculous and intricate by the end. They're both good puzzle games but they have very different feels.

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

Plebian Parasite posted:

Talos is interesting in that even though its very similar the level flow feels completely the opposite. The Witness has you getting crushed by indecipherable puzzles in the beginning and crushing insane challenges at the end like it's nothing because you've mastered the mechanics. Talos starts you very simple and easily but the puzzles are ridiculous and intricate by the end. They're both good puzzle games but they have very different feels.

well the witness has started a puzzle game fire in my heart so im gonna cop talos when i get paid and pwn it.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Talos has fun puzzles but the tetronimo panels huff turds:

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

In Training posted:

Talos has fun puzzles but the tetronimo panels huff turds:

idk, i never thought they were bad. tedious yeah, but not terrible.

skull wall
Jul 29, 2012

just got the good Epic ending of Talos actually, I enjoyed the Wetness's puzzles a little more overall, but Talos has a story/narrative thing and it's actually cool.

Talos also doesn't take as long to finish unless you're going for 100%, but def check it out.

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

skull wall posted:

just got the good Epic ending of Talos actually, I enjoyed the Wetness's puzzles a little more overall, but Talos has a story/narrative thing and it's actually cool.

Talos also doesn't take as long to finish unless you're going for 100%, but def check it out.

really liking this play on words wrt the witness. deffo showing this post to the boys at work

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009

rediscover posted:

really liking this play on words wrt the witness. deffo showing this post to the boys at work

check this out: The Shitness

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

rediscover posted:

talos principle owns, its not the same feel as th witness but its still very good, nd some of the puzzles at the end get freakin insane

EvilMike
Dec 6, 2004

rediscover posted:

mildly disappointed by the ending but i was warned there wwasn't going to be anything super revelatory so i still thought it was pretty win. jonathan blow is a smart guy and i hope his next game is this good

there's a 2nd, weirder ending you haven't seen yet. activate ALL of the lasers and then find the new area that opens up. at the very end of that area there's a clue, which will lead you to the secret ending somewhere on the island.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

EvilMike posted:

there's a 2nd, weirder ending you haven't seen yet. activate ALL of the lasers and then find the new area that opens up. at the very end of that area there's a clue, which will lead you to the secret ending somewhere on the island.

yeah definitely reach that one because it mirrored my RL experience after playing. there's an easier/faster way to find it tho if you start a new save file and pay close attention at the beginning and apply what you know now

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

goferchan posted:

yeah definitely reach that one because it mirrored my RL experience after playing. there's an easier/faster way to find it tho if you start a new save file and pay close attention at the beginning and apply what you know now

i already did this

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
nice. did you do the In The Hall Of The Mountain King area? if so then you beat as much as the game as i did, going for 100% seems loving crazy . also did you find the in-game map/progress tracker? it's the pond near the town, stuff appears in it as you discover things in-game correlating with their positions on the island

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

goferchan posted:

nice. did you do the In The Hall Of The Mountain King area? if so then you beat as much as the game as i did, going for 100% seems loving crazy . also did you find the in-game map/progress tracker? it's the pond near the town, stuff appears in it as you discover things in-game correlating with their positions on the island

if your talking about the challenge cave no i didnt. i saw it while doing the second ending but i didnt find how to get down to it and i read that its timed and frustrating and it sounds like something i dont want to do. and no i did not find the tracker, thats bad rear end

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX
I got a sudoku app on my phone, poo poo's tight

EvilMike
Dec 6, 2004

rediscover posted:

if your talking about the challenge cave no i didnt. i saw it while doing the second ending but i didnt find how to get down to it and i read that its timed and frustrating and it sounds like something i dont want to do. and no i did not find the tracker, thats bad rear end

its the last puzzle in that area and there's a bunch of other stuff before it though

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Yeah - it's cool.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

rediscover posted:

the puzzle you spoilered was a hard one for me too, but my little brother had a much worse time with it. he was co-op playing the game with a friend, and the two of them took well over an hour (two hours?) just wrestling with that one puzzle. at one point they got themselves trapped on one side and asked me to google to make sure they hadn't put themselves into an unwinnable state

also talos principle has both good puzzles and real good writing, which is unusual

folder
Oct 9, 2016
i am LOVING the e picross series. so much content. the only downside is that i can't find any of the incredibly meditative soundtrack online :sax:

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

reviving this to say wow the witness. it's amazing

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

Aston posted:

:yeah:

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Aston posted:

i just started it tonight and i really dig it so far

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I stopped playing in the area with making the bridges in the treetops because the puzzles were too hard

Sockmafia
Mar 4, 2015
I was wracking my brain trying to solve the ship maintenance puzzle on Infinifactory. Then I realised the game put a new block type in to my inventory. fml

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
I like Puzzle Fighter but can only beat the ai on easy. Puzzle Quest is awesome too unless the enemy is OP like the runekeepers or w/e that kill you in four turns.

Is there a video game (portable version? Phone or ds?) of scrabble? I used to play it irl with my grams.

Risk on the mac back in '98 was great too, I played that during my TA period, is there a good mobile version?
How about yahtzee? I have a couple crappy free ones on my phone but I miss that ultimate yahtzee from windows, it had like a pyramid mode and a colors mode that kept it fresh.

Vagrant Story had some 3d box moving puzzles too, bot super complex but decent enough as a break from combat.

got any sevens fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Feb 17, 2017

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

In Training posted:

I stopped playing in the area with making the bridges in the treetops because the puzzles were too hard

That was one of my favorite areas. Did you figure out (really mild puzzle spoilers) the thing where you have to solve the puzzles a certain way to make the bridges rotate in order to progress ?

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

I'm getting to end of the Hard Picross in Mario's Picross and these things are crushing my brain. The last ten or so puzzles are a true test of the skills I've acquired and its insanely satisfying once the end of a picture is in sight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
ive been playing the witness less than an hour and i already jumped out my chair laughing about a puzzle

• Locked thread