Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure

Dachshundofdoom posted:

So I've been playing Deathstate lately, ...

We've got a patch in beta that (among other changes) does some more work with bullet visibility when you turn on the high contrast setting. It's especially designed to increase the contrast of the bullets against the level backgrounds for colorblind players but it might just help general bullet visibility.

I haven't noticed any glaring issues with the patch so far, so I'll probably put it into public beta a little later today.

e: And that's pushed up - you can opt into the beta now in Steam, by right clicking Deathstate -> Properties -> Betas Tab.

superh fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jan 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

John Lee posted:

I think it's less a game-spanning design flaw and that the hardest difficulty levels are the 'flawed' part. The basic game is fine and then pushing the design to the extreme results in unbalanced stuff.

I really don't think his stance is as sensible as you're making out, though. The quote in question:

I really, really want URR to be amazing, and it certainly will be IMPRESSIVE, but he definitely doesn't have moderate opinions re: difficulty, and it makes me worried about the final outcome of the project. In the games I mentioned, Fire Emblem and ToME, certain strategies, abilities, class, etc. stand out as the ONLY viable options on the hardest difficulties, and I'm worried that URR will be similar because, hey, why would you play games that don't push your ability to get every mechanical benefit out of the game to the LIMIT?

I passed my everything on hardest phase when I realized a lot of high difficulty settings suck, but I'm totally with him on "I feel that is so crucial that making a game anyone can complete, on the most basic level, wastes the unique potential of games as a genre compared to all other forms of media. "
He might be the type of player to gravitate toward high difficulties that necessarily limit you to a few strategies but there's nothing to suggest he's the kind of designer that would make 99% of that skill tree only for 1% of it to be useful.
I think at one point he mentioned wanting combat to be very fast and deadly but I'm fine with that in a largely non combat focused game. Before freaking out that this is gonna be the Ketsui Ura of roguelikes let's remember most of it seems to be talking to people and looking at signs.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
It's a bit late to ask, but are there any roguelikes (like Sproggiwood) that still have some live Holidays/Xmas content?

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
Elona+ had a present thing but I think it's over now (could probably mess with your system clock though...)

I actually haven't checked what it is, hopefully it doesn't just spawn a nether dragon in my house

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
I'm sad I missed out on the DMans Christmas codes in this thread. I didn't get the game until a few days ago.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
What happened to the Dmans stream yesterday? I thought it started at noon and then nothing for hours.

LordSloth posted:

It's a bit late to ask, but are there any roguelikes (like Sproggiwood) that still have some live Holidays/Xmas content?
If you are interested in Elona+, I have an older version where you can make a character and then update to the current version, to get a certain present.

HardKase
Jul 15, 2007
TASTY
I've been hearing alloy about caves of qud. Has anyone here spent some time with it, and can tell me what I'll be getting into?

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Buy it. Qud is awesome

See: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3803702&userid=150880#post468017359

Helical Nightmares fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Jan 8, 2017

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

HardKase posted:

I've been hearing alloy about caves of qud. Has anyone here spent some time with it, and can tell me what I'll be getting into?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

The most inaccurate part of this picture is that mutants aren't able to get cybernetic enhancements.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe
What is hearing alloy. Is that some whippersnapper term for mixed reviews?

:corsair:

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Unormal posted:

What is hearing alloy. Is that some whippersnapper term for mixed reviews?

:corsair:

it actually sounds like some poo poo i'd find in qud. weird metal that's really good at carrying noises through it.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

The most inaccurate part of this picture is that mutants aren't able to get cybernetic enhancements.

He's a true kin wearing the face of a mutant he sliced off. He's green uh because he's been in golgotha?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Kyzrati posted:

You might be happy to know that optional easier modes are coming to Cogmind in the version after next. I notice you've managed to get pretty far before, but still only to the edge of where things start to get really interesting with alien artifacts :D

I hope that people stuck at the beginning will be able to experience some of the more interesting stuff in the middle and beyond on their own terms, and maybe get better from there (or, you know, just have fun!). I didn't plan on having multiple difficulties from the beginning, but over the past year I've come to realize how important they are. In any case, the idea is to continue balancing the game for the standard roguelike-difficult challenge, but add a couple modes which tweak just a few of the environment variables to keep the pressure from piling on so fast (without changing any of the real mechanics).

Excellent! I rely too much on luck in my runs, so it'll be good to tone it down to my ability level. (Also waiting for the forces of Endless Legend and Death Road to Canada to give up on holding me captive so I can get back into roguelikes again.... .... Death Road to Canada has roguelike elements in its game structure but I don't consider it a roguelike as it lacks the roguelike gameplay. This puts it with Deathstate and FTL as another genre hybrid, which is good, but I'm sorry, I cannot put it next to Dungeonmans and Infra Arcana and say "yep these belong in the same category"...but I digress. They're all good games!)

As a more serious question, though - what's the best way to get good at a roguelike? I know the first advice is to slow down, consider your options - as I so often don't do that and just speed along until I'm dead - but what else?

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

Amazing tiles also by goon Megane.

Benly
Aug 2, 2011

20% of the time, it works every time.

StrixNebulosa posted:

As a more serious question, though - what's the best way to get good at a roguelike? I know the first advice is to slow down, consider your options - as I so often don't do that and just speed along until I'm dead - but what else?

Die a lot, figure out why you died each time, and stop doing the thing that makes you die that way. If you can do this enough times with consistency, you don't die anymore.

I'm not good at doing that, mind.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

StrixNebulosa posted:

For a roguelike like DCSS I saw the biggest improvement when I watched every single death with the instant replay capabilities of the online servers (ttyrec) and footv. Watching yourself die really hammers home the key lesson in a way that you don't get from swearing and instantly rolling a new guy.

I don't feel this method is suited to every roguelike, even putting aside how specific a tool ttyrec is and shelving the storage concerns of capturing or streaming it.

For instance, I don't think it's get any better watching my own death's in FTL or say ADOM. Crawl, Spelunky, and Sproggiwood strike me as more transparent I suppose, though I could also throw in things like dungeonmans, but you have a lot more control over difficulty there.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Turn off permadeath so you can figure out exactly what's killing you and how to not mostly die.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Synthbuttrange posted:

Turn off permadeath so you can figure out exactly what's killing you and how to not mostly die.

This is for wimps, in every case.

Universal roguelike advice:

1. Isolate threats. While some games have popcorn enemies vs. ones that can take you 1v1, a new player won't know which are which.
a. One-tile corridors are (generally) your friends.

2. A consumable you don't spend or a skill that's always off cooldown is worthless.

3. Don't play after midnight.

4. Don't use auto-explore until you're comfortable. Instead, reveal new areas of the map cautiously and always know where and how you're going to retreat.

5. Have a foolproof way to retreat, or as close to it as possible. If the game your playing has controlled teleportation, it is almost invariably the most important utility skill you can acquire.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

More broadly the best way to get good is to die a shitload of times and every time you don't understand something, look it up on a wiki and ask lots of questions.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

So you're a wimp for figuring out stuff on your own, but looking it up on a wiki isnt? Okay what the hell ever

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Synthbuttrange posted:

So you're a wimp for figuring out stuff on your own, but looking it up on a wiki isnt? Okay what the hell ever

Turning off permadeath isn't related to figuring out stuff on your own.

Also, if your game is trivial once you understand how it works, it just isn't a very good game to begin with.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

You're getting super weird about this poo poo

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Synthbuttrange posted:

You're getting super weird about this poo poo

No, not really.

Nippashish
Nov 2, 2005

Let me see you dance!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

No, not really.

This post is wrong.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Nippashish posted:

This post is wrong.

I will definitely take your advice on what is weird, guy who came to the roguelike thread for the first time to back that other guy up in an internet fight.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I will definitely take your advice on what is weird, guy who came to the roguelike thread for the first time to back that other guy up in an internet fight.

Couldn't it just be coincedence? I don't think there's a secret synthbuttrange cabal out there.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Turtlicious posted:

Couldn't it just be coincedence? I don't think there's a secret synthbuttrange cabal out there.

Sure.

Anyways, if cracking the game open in Wizard mode is the best way to get the game knowledge you need to win it legit, go for it. I just think it's completely bizarre to play the game like that, because permadeath is what makes all the challenges and consequences in a roguelike make sense. Even as a learning tool I feel like you'd be buying familiarity at the cost of bad habits.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

No, not really.
You're incorrect about turning off permadeath though. I know we're basically all tryhards ITT but having an option turned off doesn't mean you stop learning, and being able to go back to a save when you go "wait, what the gently caress killed me" can accelerate your understanding of the game by a whole lot

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

If the game has an option to turn off permadeath and that's how you enjoy the game, then go ahead and do it. I only dislike the people who turn off the permadeath and try to pass off their victory as a legitimate one for bragging.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

how did you get good at roguelikes before wikis and easy access to other people who know more than you about them though?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
All current wins at roguelikes were made possible off the coattails of legit winners, is where this discussion is going.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

Scalding Coffee posted:

All current wins at roguelikes were made possible off the coattails of legit winners, is where this discussion is going.

We, the 1%, are the win makers.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

I'd say a huge dividing line between whether save-scumming/permadeath helps/hinders learning is based on the game design.
  • DCSS 0.19 - Permadeath ON. Not many hidden mechanics/gotchas/instant deaths, a huge part of gameplay getting a feel for how often to use consumables, something that save-scumming dramatically changes the math for. If a newbie playing online asks for help, and a committed spectator is available, they can definitely be walked through to a win. I've helped one or two players who were leaving behind annoying ghosts myself. Even if I didn't go all out backseating, a few tricks and tips dramatically increased their time between deaths - and there's a lot of ingame info available for people to make their own judgements on.
  • DCSS 0.3 - I saved scummed a bit, and while I was ashamed by it, I have to admit it helped. Distortion weapons, cursed weapons keeping you from eating, heavier identification game, many QoL features missing that were later added. And not a clue what spells or resists a monster came with at first.
  • Sproggiwood / DoomRL - Game plays quick enough there's no point.
  • Dungeons of Dredmor - Designed with a 'non-permadeath' mode in mind albeit not core, the first dungeon floor takes a long time (with 'no-time to grind' turned off as default) and consumables aren't quite the same critical factor as they are in DCSS, especially with crafting/thievery/money-making schemes. The skill trees and the skills themselves are a bit obscure at first, saving should help with experimentation, both through trying different things out, and not being sent quite as far back when you die.
  • Nethack - not my area of expertise, but the assumptions I can make from my limited experiences leads me to think that savescumming/explore mode doesn't hurt the learning curve all that much, though it probably would hinder your enjoyment. I do hear winning without spoilers IS possible due to ingame hints and such, but it would take a huge amount of dedication in this day and age with so many other games competing for your time, especially if you have a career.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

baram. posted:

how did you get good at roguelikes before wikis and easy access to other people who know more than you about them though?

By playing in wizard mode for a while before attempting a scoring run. :shrug:

Or reading the source code.

Or having a lot of free time and persistence.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

baram. posted:

A lot of the time you didn't get a hold of a roguelike without also being the kind of person with access to like Usenet or BBSes, where you could talk to people plenty. Early shareware/commercial roguelikes, which didn't require access to networks of some sort to get a hold of, would often offer pretty good documentation or even strategy guides - though they'd usually reduce the coverage for endgame concepts/enemies.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

ToxicFrog posted:

Or having a lot of free time and persistence.

This is the main barrier for me nowadays. I don't have anything like the kind of time I did when I was a student, or even in my 20s. So while I totally get the idea behind permadeath, I've only got a few hours a week to play, so disabling permadeath means that I might see mid to late game content in some games, rather than perpetually seeing the same content once a week. It might not be playing according to the vision of the creator and trivialises a lot of mechanics, but trial and error basically means I'd rarely see more of the game than the start due to the time investment a lot of roguelikes require.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Wasn't there some guy who took over a decade to beat NetHack unspoilered and without using wizard mode / other cheats?

So yeah, if that's your idea of a fun time, knock yourself out.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Wasn't there some guy who took over a decade to beat NetHack unspoilered and without using wizard mode / other cheats?

So yeah, if that's your idea of a fun time, knock yourself out.

Yeah that's the thing. Solving Nethack and Rogue was a communal exercise to begin with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

I bet that victory felt really good though.

Possibly followed by a couple of days of weird depression and "well, now what?"