Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Mu77ley posted:

That's because they have only 0.016 seconds to fit the rendering of each frame of the black hole into @ 60 FPS (ideally 0.011 seconds for VR @ 90 FPS). That time is also shared with everything else that needs doing per frame as well. In Interstellar it took up to 100 hours to render one single frame!

:frontear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
Wow rly makes u think

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
Hey there! All this talk about alien encounter and poo poo has made me interested in picking up the game again after a while. I'm sure this question gets asked every 3 pages but I went back 3 and didn't find anything, so I'll just ask again and annoy all the regulars.

How is the economy in the game? How does one make money these days? Last time I stopped playing because I had my Asp Explorer, kitted out for trading, and my goal was to earn enough to buy the Fer-De-Lance, which I really loved the design of. However I was about 2 hours into doing the same commodity trade route over and over, and decided I would rather eat my own eyeballs then keep doing this stupid run for 14 hours total in order to afford the ship I wanted.

Is it better now? Do I have any chance of being able to actually afford the ship I want before I end up shooting myself in the face just for the stimulation?

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Gothsheep posted:

Hey there! All this talk about alien encounter and poo poo has made me interested in picking up the game again after a while. I'm sure this question gets asked every 3 pages but I went back 3 and didn't find anything, so I'll just ask again and annoy all the regulars.

How is the economy in the game? How does one make money these days? Last time I stopped playing because I had my Asp Explorer, kitted out for trading, and my goal was to earn enough to buy the Fer-De-Lance, which I really loved the design of. However I was about 2 hours into doing the same commodity trade route over and over, and decided I would rather eat my own eyeballs then keep doing this stupid run for 14 hours total in order to afford the ship I wanted.

Is it better now? Do I have any chance of being able to actually afford the ship I want before I end up shooting myself in the face just for the stimulation?

Your best bet is either:

A: Buy a vulture and bounty hunt in a haz zone, making about $2m/hour which should net you the full cost of a maxed-out FDL in ~50 hours or so.

B: Wait for the next econ exploit to rear its head and get in before it's patched.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Ok armor & hull reinforcement engineer lady unlocked and at tier 3, which is all I need to lightweight all my military armor.

gently caress mining forever.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

Breetai posted:

50 hours

Oh man this was probably said straight faced.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
Being able to jump 37ly in an Anaconda and still carry 3 multicannons and a fighter bay has made grinding for engineering materials almost worth it.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Zigmidge posted:

Oh man this was probably said straight faced.

I actually did buy my FDL entirely using profits from RES farming. In a Vulture. For anyone who likes combat that doesn't pay attention to "exploits" there is no other way.

I mean sure you could mine or rare trade but if you want to make things explode then you're in a RES.

(the vulture was paid for by a DBS)

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Thank God for the realities of time dilation

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

DancingShade posted:

I actually did buy my FDL entirely using profits from RES farming. In a Vulture. For anyone who likes combat that doesn't pay attention to "exploits" there is no other way.

I mean sure you could mine or rare trade but if you want to make things explode then you're in a RES.

(the vulture was paid for by a DBS)

I do have a maxed out Vulture. Bounty hunting was what paid for my Asp. I was kind of hoping for an option that was faster than 'maybe by July'. I don't mind trading, it was just really slow.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Libluini posted:

Na, that's wrong. On my way to Jacques I encountered a loving massive one. When I dropped out of supercruise I noticed the black hole was distorting my ship's exhaust like mad.

Edit:

Just look at that! It's like I'm flying in circles even when flying in a straight line!

Of course the background lensing was also pretty drat strong.

That's the Milky Way (not your exhaust) and in the second picture a bunch of stars. Both are examples lensing effects on the background star field! :eng101:

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Gothsheep posted:

I do have a maxed out Vulture. Bounty hunting was what paid for my Asp. I was kind of hoping for an option that was faster than 'maybe by July'. I don't mind trading, it was just really slow.

When I was grinding out Sirius Rep in my Asp Explorer I gave up worrying about faction missions with their lovely rep + cash rewards and went into rare trading since at least it didn't involve mission board scumming, which sucks.

I ended up running Sothis Crystalline Gold to the nearest Sirius controlled system, which was about 7 jumps away with the grade 3 upgraded range frameshift drive I was using at the time.
The money was good for the time investment but ultimately you're still better off in a HighRES with good spawns and friendly NPC greens to leech kills from.

Frontier just doesn't want people earning large amounts of money fast I'm afraid. Hell look what happened to passenger payouts after they came out looking vaguely generous.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Someone talk me out of buying this game, I've been looking at it forever and

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Photex posted:

Wait for a sale.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Boogalo posted:

Wait for a sale.

Does it ever go cheaper than $15?

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Mu77ley posted:

That's because they have only 0.016 seconds to fit the rendering of each frame of the black hole into @ 60 FPS (ideally 0.011 seconds for VR @ 90 FPS). That time is also shared with everything else that needs doing per frame as well. In Interstellar it took up to 100 hours to render one single frame!

I spoke briefly to the art director at EliteMeet, and they said that they'd like to add proper accretion discs, but it's a matter of being able to render them effectively.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Photex posted:

Even though e:d isn't a good game, I don't regret spending the $60 I spent because: you can fly freely through Saturn's rings, orbit each of Jupiter's moons, orbit Venus, etc. The gameplay is bad but the experiences u can have are really good

Apple Craft
Mar 8, 2012
Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray :cry: Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray

Photex posted:

Buy Star Citizen instead.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Apple Craft posted:

Buy Star Citizen instead.

:gb2gbs:

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

Photex posted:

The game is good. Play with goons and make pubbies cry.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
For those looking for Black Holes, there's always Sag in the center of the galaxy and The Great Annihilator nearby.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
One maxed out class 4 overcharged power plant upgrade roll later and my DBS has juice to spare for thirsty things like railguns and quad resistance augmented shield boosters.

Haven't put the weapon mods in yet. One thing at a time though and those are last on my list.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Goddamn I really need to work on unlocking the rest of the engineers and levelling them

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Hexenritter posted:

Goddamn I really need to work on unlocking the rest of the engineers and levelling them

It's a truly poo poo grind. You'll spend weeks on bullshit. Nice end results though.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

DancingShade posted:

It's a truly poo poo grind. You'll spend weeks on bullshit. Nice end results though.

Yeah it took sodding forever to find a passable amount of praesodymium and the mats required to get Elvira (or whichever one is in Deciat) up to level 3, but resistant shield boosters and boosted FSD on my clipper is nice. I can only imagine how good the level 5 mods are.

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?
Sirius is in eternal lockdown and I can't get the goddamned loving Marco Qwent invite because literally nobody in that system is giving missions HOLY poo poo loving GODDAMN :goonsay: :frontear:

I ended up unlocking Selene Jean instead after a few hours of loving around doing missions for DF in Xihe, that's how bad it is. I mined 500 tonnes of poo poo and 10 Painite and it was easier than just getting an invite from Marco Qwent.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
The Marco Qwent invite will take 2-3 days of mission board scumming before it spawns.

That's not a joke.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Classic :frontear: immersive gameplay feature.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Did they ever make PP modules engineerable?

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.
what does your heart tell you

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Of course they didn't :smithfrog:

Mu77ley
Oct 14, 2016

Groggy nard posted:

Sirius is in eternal lockdown and I can't get the goddamned loving Marco Qwent invite because literally nobody in that system is giving missions HOLY poo poo loving GODDAMN :goonsay: :frontear:

To help remove a lockdown in a system as quickly as possible you need to help improve security by killing wanted ships and handing in their bounties to a station owned by the controlling faction.

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.

Lima posted:

Of course they didn't :smithfrog:

My engineered prismatics disagree

mrchinchin25
Apr 14, 2012

Dat BDSSE

Asimov posted:

What's disappointing about one black hole versus another? I haven't been to any, but it seems like the effect would be similar and different only by a matter of scale, unless there are cool nebulae or something visual to distort. Next step of engineers is to head 5000 LY out of the bubble someday, but it's hard to commit to that amount of travel.

I did part of the Distant Worlds thing in early 2016 and got to the supermassive black hole at the centre (Sag A). What is it, some 20k light years?? Took some video of it whilst there

Anyway I stopped at that point and came home, as I realised continuing onto Beagle Point with the rest of the expedition (literally the same distance I'd already gone) was insane.

I watched a lot of Netflix in those weeks.... But the jump-honk-scoop was killing me a bit inside.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

I can't help but feel the only thing done properly is combat.

Everything else should be increased or multiplied by ten times at least: mission payouts, rank increases, jump range, supercruise speed, types of missions, adding secondary objectives, more ships, more SRVs, more weapons.

Less grind, basically, and more stuff to do. 50 hours of playtime to afford an FdL is just crazy.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Upgraded from a grade 4 one. Also I hit apply, dunno why TRY AGAIN was highlighted. Maybe it was the game hoping I'd hit the wrong button.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

TorakFade posted:

Everything else should be increased or multiplied by ten times at least: mission payouts, rank increases, jump range, supercruise speed, types of missions, adding secondary objectives, more ships, more SRVs, more weapons.

Less grind, basically, and more stuff to do. 50 hours of playtime to afford an FdL is just crazy.

I maintain that the actual exploration part of exploration is still very well done, especially the way they make sound a key component in finding what you want. Granted, in space, it's limited to picking planets on the map, but the concept of the wave scanner (if they ever get around to making it work again) is great for what it's supposed to do.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

TorakFade posted:

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Chrysophylax posted:

My engineered prismatics disagree

Oh that's cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

That's the Milky Way (not your exhaust) and in the second picture a bunch of stars. Both are examples lensing effects on the background star field! :eng101:

Yes that's why I even said the word "background" in the second part

Also no, that first picture shows my exhaust, based on two facts: The Milkyway is not beige, and I moved my ship around a lot before making that screenshot, so I know how my loving exhaust looks like.

If you still chose to not believe me, the name of that system is in picture one, fly over and look for yourself. :colbert:

• Locked thread