Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

A Bag of Milk posted:

There are two sections that cannot be replayed, so if you don't get all the collectibles there on the first go you won't be able to 100% your first playthrough. It's kind of apparent which sequences these are, especially if you're looking out for them. I think combat upgrades are the least important. I wouldn't prioritize them unless you feel like the combat is tedious or something. Best abilities to go for would be Ultra Spirit Magnet and Triple Jump.

The Definitive Edition changed it so that you can now properly backtrack to those sections, AFAIK. I'm pretty sure there's nothing missable anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Definitive Ori is indeed gloriously free of any and all missables. Except for achievements along the lines of "beat the game without dying". It's a fantastic game for if you just want to jump in and not worry about loving anything up in the long term.

For original Ori, you want to be thorough about exploring and collecting in:

- Ginso Tree
- Misty Woods sequence
- The icy area just before reaching Forlorn Ruins (everything left of the vertical route leading back out to the rest of the world)
- Forlorn Ruins itself

... and finally, do any rest-of-world collecting you plan to do before entering Mt. Horu, because Point Of No Return.

Vil fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Jan 5, 2017

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

StrixNebulosa posted:

Seconding the request for info for The Witcher 3.

I chose "simulate Witcher 2 save", but what choices should I pick when I get there? Should I buy the inventory-improving items? Should I buy gwent cards? Will the White Orchard quests vanish if I move the main questline along?

Some of this got answered, but for everyone else...

Simulating the save means you'll have a conversation a few hours into the game that fill in the decisions you would've made in Witcher 1 and 2. If you never played them it likely won't mean much, but it affects a few conversations and ways people respond to you around the world. Exceptions I know about :

- One of the options means you have a tattoo you received while drunk in a previous game.

- Siding with Roche vs. Iorveth is the Witcher 2's big decision. If you side with Iorveth and release Saskia from the curse, you get Witch Hunter enemies in the game because the world turned hostile to the Sorceress's Guild.

- Say you spared Letho, because it opens up a huge and really fun quest line. The alternative quest is super forgettable.

Other random notes:

- There is a HUGE amount of stuff to do, and most of it is the game's version of random events. The only ones you should seek out are Places of Power and Persons in Distress, as they give you skill points and new merchants respectively. Some of the hidden treasures contain recipes, but it's often random. Don't feel obligated to sail all over Skellige fishing for treasure.

- You can loot Monster Nests for rare monster drops, which are vital for some of the higher level potions you can make.

- Crafted items, especially witcher gear, are way stronger than anything you can find/buy. You should rarely have to spend money on anything other than crafting/socketing/repairing, which is good because money will feel tight at first.

- Inventory-increasing items in this game are saddlebags for Roach, and you probably don't need to buy them. Wait until you find better ones in a chest, and just drop gear you aren't using. Figure out the items with the best cost-to-weight ratio for selling back to vendors, and dump the rest. Similarly, you probably don't need to pick up all the food and junk you see. Crafting/alchemy materials, however, you should always take.

- Gwent is awesome, buy all the cards.

- Yennifer > Triss

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

Luminaflare posted:

Any tips for Steins Gate or Pokemon Sun/Moon?

HMs, Item Finder, and Bicycle are dead, and replaced with Ride Pokemon that you can call whenever you need.

There are multiple Fly-to spots in each area, though you may need to zoom in on the area to differentiate between them.

While looking at your dudes' stats, you can press Y and see it's IV (I believe) and EV distribution.

Using Honey no longer makes hordes appear. It does seem like it attracts those rarer "5% chance of appearing" types though.

Z-crystals are infinite use and you can hand them out to whoever you'd like to hold them. They still only work one time while battling though.

Giving that Munchlax/Snorlax and Amulet Coin AND doing Happy Hour will stack to net you 4x prize money.

Make sure your Pikachu learns Volt Tackle before you evolve it into kickin' rad surfin' Raichu.

You can buy both the Skull and Cover Fossil from the guy in the rock shop. Don't let him fool you with his "one per customer" tricks.

QR Reader will take any ol QR code, I've found. No guarantees on which if any pokedex entries it unlocks. Scanning any 10 codes will let you do an Island Scan which, depending on the island you use it on and the day of the week, plops a rare pokemon down on the island. This is an easy way to get foreign starters, and if your timing is right you can nab a Totodile on the very first island.

You can access Poke Pelago after you get Ride Charizard from the 3rd captain you fight. This is where the timer-based stuff lives. Between this and Festival Plaza (which replaces PPS or whatever it was called) you can grind out all kinds of stat increases, levels, happiness, and hard to find items.

I'm sure there's stuff I'm forgetting, but hopefully this helps.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN
Anything for The Swindle?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Hey, thanks! This is exactly the kind of thing I was looking for - I admit I did go and get a mod to fix the weight system so I can just stick everything into my backpack forever.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Count Chocula posted:

It's been a while, so take this with a grain of salt:
  • Your most important goal in any heist is to survive. The successful run bonus is great, and you can pile up some outrageous amounts of cash if you manage to not die several times in a row.
  • Related to that: except in a single case in the entire game, messing up is your own drat fault. Take things slowly, try another entry point if you find yourself blocked and learn to say "gently caress it" if something seems too risky. Is better to miss a computer than die and lose your bonus.
  • Hacking is really important and should be prioritised at any opportunity.
  • Bombs are your best "clear the path" tool. Learn their radius, so you don't blow up something important by accident. Blowing up a bit of the floor or the ceiling will destroy anything attached to that, be it a camera, a door or a computer.
  • The smoke screen is the best "oh poo poo" tool. Once you get the upgrade that triggers automatically when seen, it's basically an extra life.
  • Don't sweat the time limit.
  • Probably better to do a couple of runs to get a feeling for the game and then restart. You'll reach the fun upgrades earlier that way.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Thanks for the tips on Steins Gate and Pokemon.

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

- Yennifer > Triss

The most important advice. (Witcher 3)

You can also respec for not very much money at all, so don't stress about your build. Some are definitely better than others but all have merits.

Don't neglect your potions/oils/bombs. You need only one strong alcohol to restock all of them, and that one alcohol gets burned just the same if you're replenishing one potion or restocking every consumable in your inventory.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I know it's kind of new, but anything I need to be aware of before going in to Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun?

Not really looking for advice on the tactics themselves (I'll figure that out as I go), more the kind of stuff where mechanics may be poorly communicated or glitches/bugs I need to be aware of in advance. I hear it's like the old Commandos games, so I'm looking forward to playing it.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Zaodai posted:

I know it's kind of new, but anything I need to be aware of before going in to Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun?

Not really looking for advice on the tactics themselves (I'll figure that out as I go), more the kind of stuff where mechanics may be poorly communicated or glitches/bugs I need to be aware of in advance. I hear it's like the old Commandos games, so I'm looking forward to playing it.

Shadow Tactics is really great and has an extremely clear UI and good tutorial, please enjoy playing this excellent game. My tips are very minor things.

- Play with the sound on - the characters' voice clips actually change from level to level and it contributes a lot to their characterization.

- Mugen can carry two corpses at once since he's the buffest samurai.

- Unless you're going for a special level challenge, there's no downside to killing everyone.

- Y is the hotkey for nonlethal punching.

- If a peasant sees you, he'll go get a guard, but unless the guard sees you, no reinforcements will be spawned.

- Hold down D (or whatever hotkey you've set him to) to tell Kuma to return to Takuma.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Mount & Blade: WFaS? I've played Warband before, just want to know what might be different enough to point out

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

Count Chocula posted:

In addition to earlier post , re: the PS4 version :

You have to hold the button to keep hacking, including when it asks you to input other buttons.
Use the D-pad rather than the stick for hacking things to avoid accidental mispresses, mostly notable on things that blow up.
Ghost bonus requirements seem to be 100% of the money and no alarms. Breaking things/guards/usingbombs doesn't affect this?

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

TheHoosier posted:

Mount & Blade: WFaS? I've played Warband before, just want to know what might be different enough to point out

You can get blacksmiths to make you unique weapons, and some of the unique firearms are retardedly good. They cost a ton of medieval dollary-doos though.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Centipeed posted:

Thanks. Deleted the first.

Here's also a bunch of title errors in the game list that caught my eye since I don't think the contributor account can edit them.

- "Command and Conquer: Tiberium Sun" = Command & Conquer: Tiberian Sun
- "Divine Divinity 1" = Divine Divinity (There's only one Divine Divinity game)
- "Forumwars" = Forumwarz
- "Harvest Moon: Island Of Happiness" = Harvest Moon DS: Island of Happiness

There's a fair amount of capitalization stuff too but most of it is pretty minor. The more noticeable ones were probably "Dark souls 2", "Lone survivor" and "The witness".

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
From like two days ago, but hey:

PJOmega posted:

Monster Hunter: Generations

I played quite a bit of MH4U but Generations let's you dive into the thick of things real fast. I feel like a Great Maccao was way beyond the difficulty of what should be expected for a first hunt.

MHG's main issue is the extreme amount of gathering quests and the fact that all the starting weapons suck. A lot. For reference, the first thing I did with the game was fight Mr. Maccao with a friend of mine and it took us thirty minutes to kill the fucker.

Get or buy the Bone version of whatever weapon you like and focus on building an even better weapon ASAP. Weapons made with Arzuros parts, Bone weapons, and anything that inflicts Poison are excellent weapons to start with. Upgrade your weapons when you find something that looks cool or will give you a big increase in your attack rating.

Make the BuJaBuJaBu armor set as soon as you can. Use a Bulldrome Cap (This is the one labeled for gunners, which Blademasters can still wear for some reason), Jaggi Mail, Bulldrome Braces, Jaggi Faulds, Bulldrome Greaves, and put 4x Attack gems in it, and bam you get the Attack Up (L) armor skill for a bunch more damage. I used it until about 5*, and it will easily last you through the entire Village content if you want.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Kanfy posted:

Here's also a bunch of title errors in the game list that caught my eye since I don't think the contributor account can edit them.

- "Command and Conquer: Tiberium Sun" = Command & Conquer: Tiberian Sun
- "Divine Divinity 1" = Divine Divinity (There's only one Divine Divinity game)
- "Forumwars" = Forumwarz
- "Harvest Moon: Island Of Happiness" = Harvest Moon DS: Island of Happiness

There's a fair amount of capitalization stuff too but most of it is pretty minor. The more noticeable ones were probably "Dark souls 2", "Lone survivor" and "The witness".

This is great - thanks. I fixed the capitalisation errors as well.

These days whenever I'm adding tips I use Wikipedia to check the correct title, but I think all of those titles were added before I started doing this.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Centipeed posted:

This is great - thanks. I fixed the capitalisation errors as well.

These days whenever I'm adding tips I use Wikipedia to check the correct title, but I think all of those titles were added before I started doing this.

Cool. And yeah, the majority of the remaining stuff are things like "Of" instead of "of" (as in "Breath Of Fire") so nothing major. There's also a few titles that have weird compound words (Crypt of the NecroDancer, MadWorld, EverQuest 2) that don't have the second word capitalized and a couple are lacking an apostrophe ("Kings Bounty: Armored Princess" = King's Bounty: Armored Princess) or a hyphen ("La Mulana" = La-Mulana) but I dunno how :spergin: you want to get about that stuff.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Does anyone have any advice for Shin Megami Tensei: Soul Hackers? (The 3DS remake) I haven't seen anything in the wiki for either version.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

TheHoosier posted:

I don't know if it's still true but the last time I played I encountered this bit:

The 'Hand Grenades' are incredibly powerful, but they are consumed upon use and your stacks don't refill after battle if you use them. If a companion uses them, however, they do.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Eldred posted:

The most important advice. (Witcher 3)

Completely wrong, though.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Serious question, for future reference. If we're trying to pare down wiki advice to the essentials:
Here's a Witcher 3 guide I wrote. What would be considered essential / appropriate for the wiki?

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Xander77 posted:

What would be considered essential / appropriate for the wiki?

Personally, I'd say not the stuff about mods, bosses, combat (except possibly the 'you don't have to aim the crossbow' tip, I hadn't realized that), or crafting (except perhaps the advice about high level crafting ingredients to hang on to). These are things I expect to learn in-game, or if I seek out mods. But most of the Skills and Odds and Ends sections are useful

Selane
May 19, 2006

Oh dear me posted:

except possibly the 'you don't have to aim the crossbow' tip

For the love of god, this. It wasn't a problem for me since I actually read tutorial messages, but I can't tell you how many people I watched streaming the game that spent like 20 minutes trying to shoot the drat griffon in first person.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Anything for Wasteland 2? DC edition.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Mordja posted:

I remember writing a bunch of words about it. The advice for the original seems to largely hold true as well. I guess I could specify that the "give everyone Tinkerer for +1 AP while wearing light armor" -part means that heavy armor can be pretty safely ignored. And have at least one real smart party member if you want to cover most non-combat skills, you can get a 10 Intelligence companion (Rose) pretty early in the game as well but they're also permanently missable depending on what you choose.

From way back when, here's what my party ended up like skill-wise when all was said and done:

Kanfy posted:

I think my party/skill composition ended up being like

Char 1 (4 int): SMGs, Leadership, Kiss rear end
Char 2 (4 int): Shotguns, Bladed Weapons, Perception, Demolitions (until Takayuki joined)
Char 3 (4 int): Sniper Rifles, Field Medic, Weaponsmithing, Hard rear end
Char 4 (10 int): Assault Rifles, Mechanical Repair, Lockpicking, Safecracking, Toaster Repair, Smart rear end, some Animal Whisperer
Rose: Handguns, Energy Weapons, Computer Science, Surgeon, Brute Force, Outdoorsman
Takayuki: Bladed Weapons, Demolitions
Chisel: Blunt Weapons, making funny quips

I ignored Barter and Brawling and didn't put a lot of emphasis on Animal Whisperer, and I leveled things relatively evenly for the most part.

I did write one more tip but I guess it never made it onto the page so here it is again:

- After leveling up, it is often useful to save up your skill points instead of using them right away unless you need to increase a weapon skill or want to reach a specific perk. This way, if you end up facing a skill check you can't quite beat, you can use the saved skill points to increase the specific skill that you need.

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jan 8, 2017

GoneRampant
Aug 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Any tips for Neverwinter Nights 2? In particular, what's a good class/build for someone going to 3.5 after having only played 5e?

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

GoneRampant posted:

Any tips for Neverwinter Nights 2? In particular, what's a good class/build for someone going to 3.5 after having only played 5e?

Can't really go wrong with a combat Cleric in NWN2, they're a real strong class and the only other Cleric you get joins real late and is probably the most boring character to boot.

Also there's an AI mod that makes the rather bad companion/enemy AI at least a little better and more customizable.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
NWN2 favors casters, but only after like 10th level and only by nature of its spell list. You'll honestly get good mileage out of anything that isn't Paladin or Monk (because you need to split stats too hard and NWN is preset point-buy style), but Rogue also falls off hard because of how many undead enemies you fight--they're immune to critical hits, and therefore the precision-type damage from your sneak attacks.

oh also don't play bard 3e bard sucks, and don't subclass dragon disciple because it was before the rule was edited so they get no new spells at all instead of 70% spell progression

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

The White Dragon posted:

NWN2 favors casters, but only after like 10th level and only by nature of its spell list. You'll honestly get good mileage out of anything that isn't Paladin or Monk (because you need to split stats too hard and NWN is preset point-buy style), but Rogue also falls off hard because of how many undead enemies you fight--they're immune to critical hits, and therefore the precision-type damage from your sneak attacks.

oh also don't play bard 3e bard sucks, and don't subclass dragon disciple because it was before the rule was edited so they get no new spells at all instead of 70% spell progression

Once you get through to MotB you can get a prestige Rogue class that can sneak attack things that can't normally be sneak attacked, but until then it's pretty suffering, yeah. You fight so many freaking undead at the end.

Catellite
Apr 29, 2008

If <waves arm expansively> was legalized.
Anyone have any advice for Moon Hunters? I've done a few runs with different characters but nothing seems to change in any meaningful way and I have no idea what I'm supposed to be doing. Should I stick with one character or does it matter at all?

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

Anything before starting SMT IV: Apocalypse? I've played most of the way through SMT IV and a handful of other SMT games, but anything would be useful.

PRL412
Sep 11, 2007

... ... MINE
I'm a little ways into The Swapper, and it seems like there's branching paths? I only have enough mcguffins to unlock one of two doors.

Not too worried about missing things with all the teleporters around, but there's nothing on the wiki.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

PRL412 posted:

I'm a little ways into The Swapper, and it seems like there's branching paths? I only have enough mcguffins to unlock one of two doors.
You can get everything eventually.

PRL412
Sep 11, 2007

... ... MINE

Doctor Spaceman posted:

You can get everything eventually.

Thanks!

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Regulation Size posted:

Anything before starting SMT IV: Apocalypse? I've played most of the way through SMT IV and a handful of other SMT games, but anything would be useful.
What path did you do in SMT IV? If your answer is "law" or "chaos," I'd recommend replaying SMT IV on the neutral path, because that's canon in Apocalypse and it sort of assumes you know what happens in it.

Buildwise, I went with a caster MC and it worked out swimmingly. Just don't neglect your agility, going first is nice.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

GoneRampant posted:

The multi-class system is insanely easy to break once you understand it. The biggest issue is that you'll want to install a lot of mods to make it easier for the class combinations to work well with the UI, mostly ease of use for spellcasting and the whole "convert X priest spell to the X heal spell" feature. You'll also want to decide on evil vs. good pretty quick because you have to make some irreversible choices in act 2 that reverberate through the rest of the game (very obvious though). There are alot of diplomacy/Bluff/intimation checks in the game too so you really need to pick one and go all in on it for story mode.

If you don't have any familiarity with 2ed games like Baldur's Gate it's going to be rough, but the NWN2 wiki is really good at explaining how things work without spoiling the game.

Huge note: There are still some insane bugs in the game, like literally game breaking bugs that consume essential quest items, so I suggest you always create a new save file each time you save so there's always a timeline you can go back to once you realize what happened.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

NWN2 kind of assumes you're playing as a frontline warrior, both because the game tends to put you at the front if a conversation ends in combat and enemies like to gang up on you, and for story reasons. Minor spoiler, you eventually get a very special longsword.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
You can also get away with playing a sorcerer or cleric, because the sorcerer companion is both insufferable and mutually exclusive with the best companion, and the cleric companion joins extremely late and is very :geno:. Just...avoid rogue or you'll have a bad time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Mordja posted:

Don't trust the percentage chances. If you have a 98% chance to succeed in something, that estimate is made using only the most basic factors, which is like, what skill the lock is, say, and what skill your lockpicking ability is. But in reality, a slew of other things come into play; your encumbrance, any injuries, I think I read somewhere that elevation even plays a part in data that is never visible. So anyway, be prepared to fail a 95% chance thing like eleven times in a row...but most importantly, accept that when something has a 50% chance to succeed, you're almost certainly not going to succeed.

Also: Don't bother with bladed weapons. They're no better than blunt weapons but at least those have armor penetration.