Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah you lose a whole lot when you don't have the ridiculous bullshit that was the Qui Gon bet or all of the convoluted bullshit of Attack of the Clones

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
you are a clam

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The author's attitude towards the movies being parodied differs - perhaps inevitably, because of the necessity of remaining true to geek culture, which axiomatically hates the one trilogy and loves the other - and as a result, the tone of the parody shifted.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
The trilogy will soon be over though, and after that they'll apparently go for Rogue One.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Synthbuttrange posted:

It's been superceded by Auralnauts

Auralnauts does some brilliant stuff, true, but I am getting a little distressed that each new Star Wars parody they put out just seems to get longer and longer, not gonna lie.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Burkion posted:

Yeah you lose a whole lot when you don't have the ridiculous bullshit that was the Qui Gon bet or all of the convoluted bullshit of Attack of the Clones

Bongo Bill posted:

The author's attitude towards the movies being parodied differs - perhaps inevitably, because of the necessity of remaining true to geek culture, which axiomatically hates the one trilogy and loves the other - and as a result, the tone of the parody shifted.
I suspect you're both right, and it's a combination of both of these.

Guess I might come back and dive it another look some day but, for right now? Eh.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Tommy Binks: Making Tackleford Great Again.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

This is why no one likes the British

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Has anyone been reading Camp Weedonwantcha? The current arc has been top quality stuff, and the most recent page especially caps it all off really well.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Nuns with Guns posted:

You haven't lived until you've survived the Magic Roundabout.

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Why

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Nuns with Guns posted:

Still wondering how Allison's going to pull all of this together.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Android Blues posted:

Has anyone been reading Camp Weedonwantcha? The current arc has been top quality stuff, and the most recent page especially caps it all off really well.

Yep. Not sure if "serious" storylines fit it well though.

Speaking of serious storylines, Unsounded is back! With a chapter cover full of naked mermaids. They look really weird, with skinless necks and chests that lets you see internal organs.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Cat Mattress posted:

Yep. Not sure if "serious" storylines fit it well though.

I dig it. It's a silly comic, but it also has an extremely dark premise, so exploring that premise from time to time helps give the gag strips some deeper character. At the same time it doesn't get bogged down in continuity and become a serious epic, it just occasionally delves into the fact that these kids are pretty hard done by.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

That actually seems surprisingly reasonable. Roundabouts can soften traffic quite. But a big one would probably end up being jammed all the time. This set of smaller circles ensures that at any given time only a few cars are in the actual roundabouts. There is actual science behind this.
But I imagine it would be quite tough for someone from out of town to navigate through that.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
It's an incredibly safe design because almost everyone who uses it does so in a state of terror-heightened cautiousness:

wikipedia posted:

wikipedia: In 2005, it was voted the worst roundabout in a survey by a UK insurance company.[6] In September 2007, the Magic Roundabout was named as one of the World's Worst Junctions by a UK motoring magazine.[7] In December 2007, BBC News reported a survey identifying The Magic Roundabout as one of the "10 Scariest Junctions in the United Kingdom";[8] however, the roundabout provides a better throughput of traffic than other designs and has an excellent safety record, since traffic moves too slowly to do serious damage in the event of a collision.[9]

In 2010, the National Cooperative Highway Research Program concluded that the roundabout reduces injurious crashes by three quarters.[10][11]

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

The British regard the Magic Roundabout with the same sense of unknowable terror that Americans regard normal roundabouts.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Android Blues posted:

I dig it. It's a silly comic, but it also has an extremely dark premise, so exploring that premise from time to time helps give the gag strips some deeper character. At the same time it doesn't get bogged down in continuity and become a serious epic, it just occasionally delves into the fact that these kids are pretty hard done by.

I tried reading Camp Weedonwantcha a while back but honestly it felt like a really uneven 90s nick cartoon... if nick let its kid's shows get away with graphic displays of gore and just-offscreen child death as punchlines. I got up to the origin story comic for GIR-girl and felt like a pretty abrupt attempt at injecting serious pathos into a comic. It doesn't help that it only seemed to have three punch lines: haha piss/poop/barf, haha the kids are going feral from neglect, or haha someone died in an unfortunate way. Maybe I'll try it again to see if it gets better though

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Nuns with Guns posted:

I tried reading Camp Weedonwantcha a while back but honestly it felt like a really uneven 90s nick cartoon... if nick let its kid's shows get away with graphic displays of gore and just-offscreen child death as punchlines. I got up to the origin story comic for GIR-girl and felt like a pretty abrupt attempt at injecting serious pathos into a comic. It doesn't help that it only seemed to have three punch lines: haha piss/poop/barf, haha the kids are going feral from neglect, or haha someone died in an unfortunate way. Maybe I'll try it again to see if it gets better though

I read Camp Weedonwantcha a long while back and loved it for the same reasons. It's one of the only webcomics to make me actually laugh out loud because it has a really good sense of comedic timing, idk I'm not a sequential artist expert so I don't know how you word that in drawing form. I think some people in this thread are being unfair at calling the longer storylines serious webcomic drama a la Willis because they still are based around the insecurities that a kid would have (I mean, it is named Weedonwantcha). I dropped it kinda for no reason because I am bad at keeping up with webcomics. I should pick it up again.

mycot fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Jan 11, 2017

Death Ray
Jan 20, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 6 years!)

Today in Kobayashi Maru... dat rear end!

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

mycot posted:

I read Camp Weedonwantcha a long while back and loved it for the same reasons. It's one of the only webcomics to make me actually laugh out loud because it has a really good sense of comedic timing, idk I'm not a sequential artist expert so I don't know how you word that in drawing form. I think some people in this thread are being unfair at calling the longer storylines serious webcomic drama a la Willis because they still are based around the insecurities that a kid would have (I mean, it is named Weedonwantcha). I dropped it kinda for no reason because I am bad at keeping up with webcomics. I should pick it up again.

I dunno, it just felt too.... swingy for me I guess. I think I'd prefer it more if it either stuck consistently with the sweet melancholy tone the longer arcs have or was constantly black humor

Pistol_Pete posted:

Still wondering how Allison's going to pull all of this together.

I'm going to trust it will end up some place absurd, hilarious, and horrifying but I'm still not sure just how far it will go in any direction.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Weedonwantcha has grown on me a lot and I quite like it, but of the StripSearch crew that spawned it The Last Halloween is still the absolute best poo poo.

Anyome who doesnt read the last halloween and jspowerhour, do it already

Blastedhellscape
Jan 1, 2008

Nuns with Guns posted:

I think somewhere the creator mentioned actually working for the Ren and Stimpy guy when she was starting out in animation, so uneven 90's nick cartoon probably isn't far off.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Only now do I see that we backed the wrong side in both World Wars.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I survived the Magic Roundabout and I didn't even get a lousy t-shirt.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Mr Phillby posted:

It's an incredibly safe design because almost everyone who uses it does so in a state of terror-heightened cautiousness:

Yeah, having horrible stressful seemingly poorly-designed roundabouts and crossing areas actually reduces traffic collisions massively because everyone is forced to pay attention. Smoother and more approachable design actually increases the rate of car accidents significantly, because drivers are more likely to be on mental auto-pilot and unable to react quickly when something unexpected happens. Counter-intuitive but true.

stab stabby
Mar 23, 2009

A.o.D. posted:

Only now do I see that we backed the wrong side in both World Wars.

Wasn't this a plot point in Good Omens?

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Plus, it's not like they're really sacrificing speed, either. Heavy traffic finds its way through that mess, terrified or not, more consistently than it would through a simpler design where cars would have to stop and wait more often. The Magic Roundabout gains safety AND traffic flow, at only the cost of drivers' sanities.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Think of it this way: it's basically a ring road with all the T-junctions that connect to it as roundabouts. Just dramatically compressed down. Here's another implementation that's slightly more spread out:

It's just that the Swindon one is so stupid compressed it makes you panic.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Jan 11, 2017

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

stab stabby posted:

Wasn't this a plot point in Good Omens?

The only relevant thing I remember is that the M25 (the ring road that encircles London) turns out to be a giant magic circle/hellgate, having been designed by demons.

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

Renaissance Robot posted:

The only relevant thing I remember is that the M25 (the ring road that encircles London) turns out to be a giant magic circle/hellgate, having been designed by demons.

Which, if you've ever driven on the M25 when there's been some kind of accident anywhere(so, ever), is frankly a very kind description.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It looks to me a little like a fancy legitimized version of those streets in places like India where there are next to no rules for the traffic to follow, but humanity just...finds a way through a book open area.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uz5uxAsrbwI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjrEQaG5jPM

By all means, it shouldn't work, but somehow it does.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Renaissance Robot posted:

Crowley altered the designs so that all the frustration and road-rage caused by the M25 results in far more total evil/lost souls than a single artisinally-tempted soul. The shape also is a demonic rune that churns out low-level evil as people drive around it. Work Smarter, not Harder! Of course, his superiors do not appreciate his work in the slightest.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Is it me or has Shauna somehow raided Esther De Groot's wardrobe in this flashback? That outfit seems oddly familiar.

I wonder if this means she wound up buying a bunch of Esther's clothes when she sold them off in Giant Days?

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Jan 12, 2017

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"

Android Blues posted:

Checked it after reading the thread. I rather liked it and I fully agree with this. It's silly comedy, but it's not bad at making you go "well actually this story is pretty hosed up". It's also not bad at making you actually care about the kids and don't just make them slapstick characters (though some of them still are). The piss poop fart jokes also have seemed to get less frequent since it started, which is a plus.

elektroboot
Nov 7, 2004

Any of you who were fans of Pictures for Sad Children should come over to this thread and help me out, I have a complete archive of the comic and more and I don't know what to do with it

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bobbins.Horse has returned!

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

As someone who got into the bobbinsverse pretty late, it's hard for me to keep a track of all these bobbinses.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
altered frontier continues to be very good, though no one page makes for a good example hook.

demon street is also very good, i caught back up on it last night

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

elektroboot posted:

Any of you who were fans of Pictures for Sad Children should come over to this thread and help me out, I have a complete archive of the comic and more and I don't know what to do with it

you should keep it secret forever dude

• Locked thread