Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
http://biblehub.com/matthew/10-34.htm

He said cryptically but also some good poo poo about peace and treating each other well, iirc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

It's not that cryptic. The verses immediately following the one you posted make it fairly clear what he means.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Samuel Clemens posted:

It's not that cryptic. The verses immediately following the one you posted make it fairly clear what he means.

But that requires paying attention to the whole message which is boring and lame.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Yeah, Matthew 10:34 is probably the verse most often used in isolation because it makes for a nice counter to that pesky "thou shalt not kill"-argument.

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

HEY GAL posted:

the phlegmatist, i forgive you for insulting me, but your contention that I have to sit there and take insults without defending myself unless I've done as much social work as you have is weird as hell.

Okay, I'm sorry for insulting you.

I'm mostly mad because there's a need for people who can walk in conservative Christian circles and, while speaking their language, tell them to cut that poo poo out. I feel pretty much alone doing this, like a voice crying out into the wilderness.

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

The Phlegmatist posted:

I'm mostly mad because there's a need for people who can walk in conservative Christian circles and, while speaking their language, tell them to cut that poo poo out. I feel pretty much alone doing this, like a voice crying out into the wilderness.

i wanted to do that once, then i realized that people like that will never listen to someone like me on any scale and burned out of theology and christianity

but i'm sure it'll go better for you

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

The Phlegmatist posted:

Thank you for your apology. I've never been a conservative Christian (even when I was a Latin mass catholic my politics were always p. left) so I can't help you with the specific language, but I have found that basing what you say around personal anecdotes and personal relationships might help--the "LGBTQ agenda" might be this scary thing from far away that will snare good Orthodox children into Hell, but that feels different from "Hegel, whom we've known for years and always sings in the choir, has a belief I disagree with."

If I have to I'll bring up the Desert Father who didn't care whether or not a guy had sex with another guy, or Maximos the Confessor's thoughts on gender, which might not fly for your target audience.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Jan 8, 2017

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.
Edit: On second thought, that didn't come out right. My apologies.

Thirteen Orphans fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Jan 8, 2017

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Caufman posted:

I confess I am not familiar enough the real history of the Crusades to answer well, but in general I would exhort Christians to consider taking up the cross the way the Christ did, and he did not raise armies to wage expeditionary warfare.

Believe me, if you want to be an example to God in any way, shape or form do not emulate the Crusades at all.

The first crusade results in a massacre of many of the Jewish residents of what is now Germany, kills off huge numbers of people in the modern day Balkans and results in a massacre of the population of Jerusalem. And that was the one that succeeded.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

Can I ask you guys about the degree of submission to God involved in prayer in your denomination or personal practice?

I was reading something by a( cultural) protestant, and thought he would probably not enjoy how much I submit in my morning prayer.

As some of you know I found faith through the 12 step program, which means there's something anglo-catholic baggage in there, though I wouldn't know enough about that to identify it.

Anyway, right now I make use of the 3rd step prayer every morning and situationally throughout the day, which goes:

God, I offer myself to thee
To build with me and to do with me as thou wilt.
Relieve me of the bondage of self, that I may better do thy will.

Take away my difficulties, that victory over them may bear witness to those I would help of thy power,
Thy love, and thy way of life.
May I do thy will always!
Thank you.

As a believer in imperfect spirituality, the need for asking God to 'take over' and essentially have charge of my life makes perfect sense, though I can see how it may not fly with everyone. To me, it's just sensible to beseech the divine to 'get' as much of me as possible, so that I may be of service to others.

What would your denomination think of asking God to take complete control of your life for the day?

Hoover Dam posted:

hey Mo Tzu, here's your new year's temple visit

Amazing av/post combo :golfclap:

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.

Tias posted:

What would your denomination think of asking God to take complete control of your life for the day?

I think there's two ways to look at it (at least):

In the Lord's Prayer Jesus tells us to prey for God's will to happen. That's the same thing. A pop song I like has a line that goes roughly like "I can plan my whole life; the wife, the career, the house - but everything goes differently. Someone is better at planning than me." It's a humble prayer to pray and one that is not always easy.

On the other hand, technically we don't own ourselves to begin with, in the sense that God has created everything and despite other claims of ownership, ultimately everything is his. Asking him to take control is sort of acknowledging him as the creator and lord of the universe.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Cool. I guess it's not more complicated than that. At least, I need to pray for Gods will -for me- to happen today, because otherwise I usually am not the best Tias I can be.

Hoover Dam
Jun 17, 2003

red white and blue forever

Mo Tzu posted:

you're the second person to tell me about their new year's temple visit

I dunno about the other but since that's Senso-ji I figured you'd enjoy it cause it's Buddhist. We also did Kanda-myojin to cover Shinto.

Tias posted:

Amazing av/post combo :golfclap:

Thanks; my av is indeed what I look like in real life.

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

Tias posted:

Look up something like St. Louis de Montfort's total consecration to Jesus through Mary. Both Marian consecrants and Opus Dei members are encouraged to buy and wear a cilice, which is basically just a spiked chain that you wear to remind you who you're serving. Technically the scapular is a similar form of self mortification. So yeah there's a bunch of devotional practices for Catholics to remind them that God is in control and all your actions should serve Him.

Also you can still buy hair-shirts online I am serious. Somewhere out there a Catholic is wearing a hair-shirt.

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Possibly the only speedboat jumps I've planned

The Phlegmatist posted:

Look up something like St. Louis de Montfort's total consecration to Jesus through Mary. Both Marian consecrants and Opus Dei members are encouraged to buy and wear a cilice, which is basically just a spiked chain that you wear to remind you who you're serving. Technically the scapular is a similar form of self mortification. So yeah there's a bunch of devotional practices for Catholics to remind them that God is in control and all your actions should serve Him.

Also you can still buy hair-shirts online I am serious. Somewhere out there a Catholic is wearing a hair-shirt.

Benedictines say "My brother is my hair-shirt". Putting up with the guy/gal next to you with cheerful charity is usually plenty penance.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

You shouldn't have to punish yourself for God.

Nor should you live your life for other people unless you have decided to do so. To do otherwise or to command others to do so is a straight path to unhappiness and misery.

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

Josef bugman posted:

You shouldn't have to punish yourself for God.

Nor should you live your life for other people unless you have decided to do so. To do otherwise or to command others to do so is a straight path to unhappiness and misery.

Well there's this guy, he's called Jesus and he had this whole ministry thing going on. Commanding people to serve their brothers and sisters in Christ? Weird, Jesus.

Punishing yourself for God is just weird Catholic stuff. Penance and mortification have been floating around since the early church though so it's nothing new. The purpose of mortification is to remind you that the flesh is weak, but the soul is strong. So you look forward to heavenly things and not fleshly things.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

The Phlegmatist posted:

Well there's this guy, he's called Jesus and he had this whole ministry thing going on. Commanding people to serve their brothers and sisters in Christ? Weird, Jesus.

Punishing yourself for God is just weird Catholic stuff. Penance and mortification have been floating around since the early church though so it's nothing new. The purpose of mortification is to remind you that the flesh is weak, but the soul is strong. So you look forward to heavenly things and not fleshly things.

If you wish to do so and ask others to do so then I'd argue it's okay. Its when people feel like they should that it causes problems.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Josef bugman posted:

If you wish to do so and ask others to do so then I'd argue it's okay. Its when people feel like they should that it causes problems.

I'd argue that most people realize it feels good to cooperate with others, it's our removal from our nurturing side that keeps us from doing what we know is good, but that's a different can of worms alltogether.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Found this post in a different thread but thought it was relevant here:

RandomFerret posted:

We only call Him 'Jesus Christ' because the New Testament was originally written in Greek. 'Iesous' is the closest approximation they had, and 'Christ' comes from the Greek word for messiah.

His real name was Yeshua ben Yosef. A more accurate modern translation would be 'Joshua Josephson.'

Or JoJo for short.

And yes, of course Jesus being a JoJo is canon in the actual series:

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
jesus's body parts are a major macguffin in steel ball run

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
man this thread is real blase about spoilers

next you'll be telling me Jesus dies at the end

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003
Hebrew Roots movement spotted.

Although I'm pretty sure they'd never violate the second commandment like that and also they've taken to calling Him Yahoshua now. Except when they call Him Yahawashi. Nobody can ever agree on this.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Yahawashi sounds rad as he, uh, drat! Approximately how much will I piss off regular christians if I start calling him that?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Tias posted:

I'd argue that most people realize it feels good to cooperate with others, it's our removal from our nurturing side that keeps us from doing what we know is good, but that's a different can of worms alltogether.

Oh indeed, but its more when people get in to doing "good deeds" for people who may or may not want it, alongside neglecting themselves and their own health based on what they believe is expected of them.

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

Tias posted:

Yahawashi sounds rad as he, uh, drat! Approximately how much will I piss off regular christians if I start calling him that?

In Europe? Nobody would know what you're talking about, so have fun.

In the US it's connected to a weird stream of black nationalism so I wouldn't recommend it over here. Like Nation of Islam except they're Jewish this time.

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

The Phlegmatist posted:

In Europe? Nobody would know what you're talking about, so have fun.

In the US it's connected to a weird stream of black nationalism so I wouldn't recommend it over here. Like Nation of Islam except they're Jewish this time.

Black Hebrew Israelites?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

The Phlegmatist posted:

Isn't Jesus kind of not connected to Judaism? I mean other than what Christians believe and all that sort of thing.

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

Mo Tzu posted:

Black Hebrew Israelites?

Josef bugman posted:

Isn't Jesus kind of not connected to Judaism? I mean other than what Christians believe and all that sort of thing.

Yeah, Jesus was, unsurprisingly, a Jew living in Palestine in the first century.

Lemme explain the whole movement to you real quick:

1. Refer to Christ by His true name in worship, which is either Yeshua or Yahoshua or maybe it's Yahawashi. Maybe written Hebrew should've had some vowels in it.
2. The real Israelites are black. The sons of Ham, entirely. They're the real Jews.
3. So now we've read the whole Tanakh in its original Hebrew and then we're on to the Greek Textus Receptus. Now Jesus is coal-black (this involves some weird prooftexting from Revelation.)
4. The white man will be enslaved by the True Hebrews, this is God's promise.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Tias posted:

Can I ask you guys about the degree of submission to God involved in prayer in your denomination or personal practice?

Excellent question, really got me wanting to put my soul into words.

It seems the degree to which I want submission to God is the highest possible, in that the ultimate goal is truly to be in maximum harmony between the individuality I possess and the ultimate, all-powerful deity and its imperatives. In prayers, I make this my most sincere aim.

It's also very easy to imagine why this desired level of submission to God can be so dangerous, and why I am very grateful for good judgment in everyone. It's life-and-death that idolatry, charlatanry, and even madness are real problems and pitfalls.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

my dad, I have a question for you (and I only post this itt because I think this music/these traditions are lovely and want to share them with you guys):

I recently stumbled on two absolutely wonderful CDs by an Austrian funeral music aficionado, and on the second one there are two recordings from Serbia, one from a funeral party and the other of a traditional dirge. I have no idea when they were recorded, probably in the 80s or early 90s? I was wondering what the people were saying during the party in the first recording (the only thing I think I got was "voda", which probably doesn't simply mean "water" in this regard :v:), it sounded very formulaic/ritualistic. The second one is a Vlach dirge and I don't think that it even is in Serbian. Maybe I am mistaken, though? It would be great if you (or other speakers of Serbian who want to chime in) could tell me a litte bit more about it! :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJ3_eKm-GdE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3lYVqzl51k

As a small "thank you" have the sound of a funeral in rural Bavaria/Austria:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCDXM3BDWCA

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Alas, the first video is private.

Sorry, I got drained making a huge and surprisingly personal post in the Military History thread, so I can't reply right now, and tomorrow is my birthday (it's a very dense time of the year for me :v: My nephew's birthday and our Slava is really close, too). I'll try to sneak a reply in if I can, but don't worry if it takes me a while to get around to it. I won't forget.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

System Metternich posted:

I recently stumbled on two absolutely wonderful CDs by an Austrian funeral music aficionado
we've reached peak System Metternich

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I'm reading Declare and it's kinda adorable how catty it is about communism (and ideology in general) as a substitute for faith

I am enjoying it, though. I read it back to back with some of Charles Stross's stuff which goes out of its way to apply materialist demystification to the same kind of subject matter, and Powers is just a much better writer on a formal level.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

my dad posted:

Alas, the first video is private.

Sorry, I got drained making a huge and surprisingly personal post in the Military History thread, so I can't reply right now, and tomorrow is my birthday (it's a very dense time of the year for me :v: My nephew's birthday and our Slava is really close, too). I'll try to sneak a reply in if I can, but don't worry if it takes me a while to get around to it. I won't forget.

*looks at clock* well, срећан рођендан to you! :haw: And no worries, just do it whenever. Thanks! :)

(I've set the video now so that you can watch it, sorry :downs:)

HEY GAL posted:

we've reached peak System Metternich

I bought them to give them to a friend as a birthday present and I really had to convince myself to part with them :v:

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003
is prime av material, I gotta say

e: anyone want an icon drawn for them

The Phlegmatist fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jan 9, 2017

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

I can make all your dreams come true.
Icon of shouldbesaint Godric please

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

Does the devotion to self/others/God fall on a horse shoe graph where the truest service to self is serving others as God wills?

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003
Godric of Finchale? I dunno, give me some sources here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

https://citydesert.files.wordpress.com/2014/05/godric-3.jpg

There isn't much. That's just a couple from Google. :/

• Locked thread