Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

hitachi posted:

I know people recommend you don't buy knife sets but this poo poo is on sale and I think I have seen the brand recommended here somewhere. Any thoughts?

https://www.amazon.com/Calphalon-Contemporary-Self-Sharpening-15-piece-Technology/dp/B01CY3M83W?tag=dreldarion-20

or this one

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M9DS5P7/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=2CPPWBZXMMUAD&coliid=I12SXPVD9MD8PM

The second set is just a set of the Victorinox recommended in the OP so I guess the only downside there is you are paying more for knives you probably won't need?

The first set is not very good. The second set is decent but you are better off just buying what you really need, a lot of those sets are redundant, Santokus and chef's knives are meant to do the same work, the Santoku is ince if you like something shorter and don't do much tip work, personally I like Chef's Knives/Gyutos since the extra length and better tip are of more use to me than the compact design of the Santoku. The 5-inch knife is basically just a undersized chef's knife and most of the time I'd just pull out one of my Gyutos to do the same work. The pairing knife is useful, so is the bread knife but a cheap bread knife is fine for 99% of people and that bread knife is nothing special anyway. The boning knife can be useful if you regularly bone stuff, otherwise a chef's knife and a paring knife can do what you need for boning most things. For less money you could get this and this and a cheap bread knife. That way you save some money and get much better knives overall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hitachi
May 2, 2003

Hail to the King, baby

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

The first set is not very good. The second set is decent but you are better off just buying what you really need, a lot of those sets are redundant, Santokus and chef's knives are meant to do the same work, the Santoku is ince if you like something shorter and don't do much tip work, personally I like Chef's Knives/Gyutos since the extra length and better tip are of more use to me than the compact design of the Santoku. The 5-inch knife is basically just a undersized chef's knife and most of the time I'd just pull out one of my Gyutos to do the same work. The pairing knife is useful, so is the bread knife but a cheap bread knife is fine for 99% of people and that bread knife is nothing special anyway. The boning knife can be useful if you regularly bone stuff, otherwise a chef's knife and a paring knife can do what you need for boning most things. For less money you could get this and this and a cheap bread knife. That way you save some money and get much better knives overall.

I had a feeling that would be the case. Thanks for the detailed answer. I will probably pick up the two you linked.

Is there a recommended universal knife block or some other storage? My wife doesn't want to get one of the magnetic blocks since we have young kids and shes worried about accidents.

hitachi fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Jan 7, 2017

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

hitachi posted:

I had a feeling that would be the case. Thanks for the detailed answer. I will probably pick up the two you linked.

Is there a recommended universal knife block or some other storage? My wife doesn't want to get one of the magnetic blocks since we have young kids and shes worried about accidents.

I just use edge guards and put the knives in a drawer, you should be able to get some of those locks that can be put on kitchen drawers to keep the kids out of them. There are universal knife blocks but I have never heard anything good about them.

hitachi
May 2, 2003

Hail to the King, baby
Awesome thanks for the help.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

hitachi posted:

I know people recommend you don't buy knife sets but this poo poo is on sale and I think I have seen the brand recommended here somewhere. Any thoughts?

https://www.amazon.com/Calphalon-Contemporary-Self-Sharpening-15-piece-Technology/dp/B01CY3M83W?tag=dreldarion-20

or this one

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M9DS5P7/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=2CPPWBZXMMUAD&coliid=I12SXPVD9MD8PM

The second set is just a set of the Victorinox recommended in the OP so I guess the only downside there is you are paying more for knives you probably won't need?

It's already been stated, but it'd be waste of money. If you've got a budget of up to $200 get this stuff and be set as far as sharp kitchen tools go. Minus steak knives.

$99 - http://www.chefknivestogo.com/to2pcstset.html - Tojiro Gyuto and Paring Knife set
$27 - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002IMMEW - Kershaw Kitchen Shears
$54 - http://www.chefknivestogo.com/toitkbrkn.html - Tojiro ITK Bread knife
$10 - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001BCFTWU/ - Kuhn Rikon 3 peeler set

Total - $190

If you wanted to save some money, cheaper bread knife pick: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001TPA816

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
Quick question,

at the grocery store nearby they have a special offer where you get coupons for your groceries and then you can purchase some knives at a heavy discount. They had a similar deal with pots and pans a few months ago and the deal was great, but I'm not sure when it comes to those knives.

It's basically this set : Zwilling JA Henckels five star Twin.
https://www.amazon.com/Zwilling-J-H...ckels+Five+Star

The knives are like 8 to 20$ a pop.

I have two good chef's knives already so I'm looking at the paring/veggie knives. They come at about 10$, which is the same price of a new victorinox paring knife. Would I be better off just getting a cheap victorinox

KingColliwog fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Jan 8, 2017

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

KingColliwog posted:

I have two good chef's knives already so I'm looking at the paring/veggie knives. They come at about 10$, which is the same price of a new victorinox paring knife. Would I be better off just getting a cheap victorinox

yeah take a pass on the Henckles. I've got a Henckles set from Costco when i moved in with my girl and they're mediocre, but that was a long time ago and the new Henckles knives look like they got a lot cheaper and crappier over the years. Get the Vioctorinox pieces that you need and skip the rest.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

CrazyLittle posted:

yeah take a pass on the Henckles. I've got a Henckles set from Costco when i moved in with my girl and they're mediocre, but that was a long time ago and the new Henckles knives look like they got a lot cheaper and crappier over the years. Get the Vioctorinox pieces that you need and skip the rest.

Thanks for your opinion. Other people of the thread, do you agree?

Just to make sure, I'm not looking at getting the whole set. Just the paring knife. (already have a mix of sanellis, victorinox and tojiros)

I would never think of buying any of them full price but I just want to make sure that at like 10$ I'm still not getting a better deal than a Victorinox paring knife.

KingColliwog fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jan 9, 2017

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp

KingColliwog posted:

Thanks for your opinion. Other people of the thread, do you agree?

Just to make sure, I'm not looking at getting the whole set. Just the paring knife. (already have a mix of sanellis, victorinox and tojiros)

I would never think of buying any of them full price but I just want to make sure that at like 10$ I'm still not getting a better deal than a Victorinox paring knife.

I have a henckel bagel/tomato knife. It does its job adequately well and I have no regrets for buying it. I even use it to cut steaks or if I'm too lazy to grab my chef's knife for small jobs.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
I have one of these that I got as a gift a few years ago, and it's been a really solid knife for me, but I don't have any experience with any of their other products.

http://www.zwillingonline.com/31648180.html

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

On the flip side, I've never handled a Henckels knife I was impressed by.

Peep Jerky
Apr 11, 2005
https://www.misen.co/products/misen-chefs-knife-black

I wanted to post this, then realized these knives say they're still in production, so they might only be shipping to backers so far. Sorry if they've come up before. I think I saw the Kickstarter on a list of best Kickstarters or something, but anyway, has anyone used these knives or have any opinions on them? As I've been doing more cooking I've started keeping an eye out for deals on a good chef's knife, but I don't really do enough cooking to spend $200 on one.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Peep Jerky posted:

I wanted to post this, then realized these knives say they're still in production, so they might only be shipping to backers so far. Sorry if they've come up before. I think I saw the Kickstarter on a list of best Kickstarters or something, but anyway, has anyone used these knives or have any opinions on them? As I've been doing more cooking I've started keeping an eye out for deals on a good chef's knife, but I don't really do enough cooking to spend $200 on one.

https://www.wired.com/2016/10/review-misen-chefs-knife/amp/?client=safari

The ones that did ship to kickstarter backers turned out to have a lower Rockwell hardness than advertised. It doesn't appear to be intentional fraud, but the Chinese factory cut some corners on tempering the steel. People still sound like they're happy with their knives, but be aware that you are getting a $65 chinese-made knife for $65, you are not getting a $140 Japanese-made knife for $65. If you want that good of a bargain, get the Tojiro

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Peep Jerky posted:

I posted in the thread shortly after I got mine. I was severly whelmed by it. Not over or under, just whelmed.

However, my opinion of it has changed since I've been using it as my daily go-to. The blade is balanced very well, it is very comfortable using a pinch grip, and the curve of the blade is really good for push cutting as well as straight up-and-down chopping, which I never really did until I got this knife. For some reason it just seems to work well with it. I also sharpened the blade, as the out-of-the-box sharpness was my main criticism with it. I am a first-time sharpener and I practiced on a couple other beater knives before trying it on the Misen, and while I didn't do the most even job, it cuts much better now and has held a fantastic edge. Obviously I hone it before each use, and I use it about every day.

I don't have any super-expensive knives, but the knife is definitely worth $65.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
With what you pay on a Henckels you could just get a Tojiro and definitely not regret it

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Is there a compact knife roll/bag that will hold only up to 8 inch knives?

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

I'd like to add a carbon steel knife to my selection of Wustofs, GFS specialty knives and a Spyderco utility. These are all stainless and the maintenance generally consists of hand washes as soon as I'm done using them, honing them when I remember to and taking them down to my local sharpener once or twice a year when they become frustratingly dull. The one thing I don't have is a 9-10" chefs knife, so I was looking at the Tojiro Shirogami ITK Gyuto. This seems like a good value to me but perhaps something has come along recently that's replaced it as a good starter carbon steel knife.

I'm also not sure what I need to keep this thing running. I have never stoned a knife bevel, but I am a pistol smith and stone steel ignition parts to very tight tolerances every day, so I am not afraid to tackle it and should pick it up quickly. So should I just get a couple different grits of wet stone or go for an edge pro style setup first?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Skip the Edgepro and buy a whetstone. If you're comfortable hand stoning firing pins and the like, you should be fine hand sharpening a knife.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

tonedef131 posted:

I'd like to add a carbon steel knife to my selection of Wustofs, GFS specialty knives and a Spyderco utility. These are all stainless and the maintenance generally consists of hand washes as soon as I'm done using them, honing them when I remember to and taking them down to my local sharpener once or twice a year when they become frustratingly dull. The one thing I don't have is a 9-10" chefs knife, so I was looking at the Tojiro Shirogami ITK Gyuto. This seems like a good value to me but perhaps something has come along recently that's replaced it as a good starter carbon steel knife.

I'm also not sure what I need to keep this thing running. I have never stoned a knife bevel, but I am a pistol smith and stone steel ignition parts to very tight tolerances every day, so I am not afraid to tackle it and should pick it up quickly. So should I just get a couple different grits of wet stone or go for an edge pro style setup first?

The Tojiro ITKs are a great value and a great place to start for a carbon steel knife. Just remember that the Tojiro ITKs tend to be very, very reactive for carbon steel knives and can be a handful until you have developed a nice patina. If you are willing to spend the money I'd consider a 270mm Moritaka over the ITK.

Considering your other experience I would just get a decent wet stone and a flattening steel, I like my Green Brick a lot, it sharpens very quick for a 2k stone, feels great to work with and is pretty huge so even though it's a softer, muddier stone it will last a long time. For a flattening plate this is fine, it's very cheap and will last forever. You could get a selection of different stones at different grits but the Green Brick is very fast and will yield a very nice edge without needing to move up to a higher grit stone so it's a great one to pick up for someone new to sharpening.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
General advice has been not to spend much on a bread knife, but I'm a little dissatisfied with the performance of my cheapo Victorinox on the crusty bread I'm usually cutting. I've seen the Tojiro ITK ($64) recommended here but I'd like to go a different direction. Anyone got one they are particularly fond of?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

The tojiro non itk

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

guppy posted:

General advice has been not to spend much on a bread knife, but I'm a little dissatisfied with the performance of my cheapo Victorinox on the crusty bread I'm usually cutting. I've seen the Tojiro ITK ($64) recommended here but I'd like to go a different direction. Anyone got one they are particularly fond of?

don't listen to the internet about bread knives. get a serrated german knife to cut bread. you don't need to spend a ton of money. you will be happy.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

I use this to cut bread, op:
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/kofuw1daya.html

It's nice and long for cool slicing action

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
Grabbed this beat up 10" Old Hickory knife at a thrift store for $2. I doubt it'll ever be a fantastic piece, but it seems like a fun project to clean it up. I should probably put a new handle on it.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

Grabbed this beat up 10" Old Hickory knife at a thrift store for $2. I doubt it'll ever be a fantastic piece, but it seems like a fun project to clean it up. I should probably put a new handle on it.

It has a nice edge profile.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

It has a nice edge profile.

It does have that. Not a full tang, so it's fairly blade heavy. Also, the last ~2" of the tip end are slightly not straight. If it got bent at some point in its life or if it was just never perfectly straight are probably equally likely, given what the internet tells me about Ontario Old Hickory knives. It'll make for decent sharpening practice though.

Senior Funkenstien
Apr 16, 2003
Dinosaur Gum
What do you guys think of Ludwig Schiff knives? I got a chefs knife from them and it seems really well balanced.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

mindphlux posted:

don't listen to the internet about bread knives. get a serrated german knife to cut bread. you don't need to spend a ton of money. you will be happy.

No, get an offset serrated to cut bread. Preferably a cheap SYSCO or Dexter. Never spend :20bux: on bread knives.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

No, get an offset serrated to cut bread. Preferably a cheap SYSCO or Dexter. Never spend :20bux: on bread knives.

offset serrated cheap german knife :colbert:

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Got a specific recommendation? Also, I'm wrong and my current one isn't Victorinox. It's this Oxo one and it isn't good enough.

Biaga
Oct 27, 2009

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

Carbon French style. It's pretty. I wouldn't replace the handle, just replace the pin, If the wood is in good condition and not super cracked (major cracks or splintering) I would just wash, sand and reoil it. No reason to replace. The carbon steel lacks a lot of rust, so it's not something that's too terrible. I can suggest some blade cleaner if you want to clean it up, though some people don't really like to do that. Curious to see if it has any makers stamps or marks.

Pretty good condition.

Where do you live if you don't mind me asking?

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

Biaga posted:

Carbon French style. It's pretty. I wouldn't replace the handle, just replace the pin, If the wood is in good condition and not super cracked (major cracks or splintering) I would just wash, sand and reoil it. No reason to replace. The carbon steel lacks a lot of rust, so it's not something that's too terrible. I can suggest some blade cleaner if you want to clean it up, though some people don't really like to do that. Curious to see if it has any makers stamps or marks.

Pretty good condition.

Where do you live if you don't mind me asking?

South Dakota. The handle is already gone, and I've cleaned up the whole thing with bar keeper's friend. The handle portion of the metal was really gunked up with stuff that had gotten inside the wood handle. The blade itself has a little pitting, but it's not actively rusty, I just got all of the built up black gunk that was caked on off it. I have access to a wood shop, so I'll probably just get a hardwood floor sample from a building supply place and cut it roughly to shape, and get a few rivets. My thought was to get the rough handle on it, put a not-wobbly and lovely edge on it (guess what it has on it now!) then tape off the blade and finish sanding, polishing, and conditioning the new handle, then finish/polish the edge.

Biaga
Oct 27, 2009

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

South Dakota. The handle is already gone, and I've cleaned up the whole thing with bar keeper's friend. The handle portion of the metal was really gunked up with stuff that had gotten inside the wood handle. The blade itself has a little pitting, but it's not actively rusty, I just got all of the built up black gunk that was caked on off it. I have access to a wood shop, so I'll probably just get a hardwood floor sample from a building supply place and cut it roughly to shape, and get a few rivets. My thought was to get the rough handle on it, put a not-wobbly and lovely edge on it (guess what it has on it now!) then tape off the blade and finish sanding, polishing, and conditioning the new handle, then finish/polish the edge.

If you manage to clear out the gunk on the blade and any makers mark are visible, could you pleaser post a picture?

Scott808
Jul 11, 2001

guppy posted:

Got a specific recommendation? Also, I'm wrong and my current one isn't Victorinox. It's this Oxo one and it isn't good enough.

I have and use a Victorinox and have no real complaints.

Reviews
ATK winner - Mercer Millenia
The Sweet Home winner - Victorinox, runner up Mercer Millenia, upgrade pick Tojiro F-687 (the Mac Superior clone), but the scalloped style serrations don't do hard crusty bread as well as regular serrations
Serious Eats winner(s) - Tojiro F-737, Dexter Russell

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

Biaga posted:

If you manage to clear out the gunk on the blade and any makers mark are visible, could you pleaser post a picture?

No maker's marks at all, just those lines on the flat that all of them have, though they seem shallower than they look in some of the pictures online I've been able to find, so who knows if there were at any point that have seen been ground out. It's clear from some of the gouging near the edge that this thing has had contact with power tools in it's life. TBH, looking down the edge, I think the whole blade may be warped, not just a wobbly sharpening job. I'll find out when I go to re-edge it.

whatupdet
Aug 13, 2004

I'm sorry John, I don't remember
For those in :canada: I just received an email from knifewear indicating 15% off Masakage knives in the month of February, glad I held off on ordering their Mizu gyuto.

Biaga
Oct 27, 2009

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

No maker's marks at all, just those lines on the flat that all of them have, though they seem shallower than they look in some of the pictures online I've been able to find, so who knows if there were at any point that have seen been ground out. It's clear from some of the gouging near the edge that this thing has had contact with power tools in it's life. TBH, looking down the edge, I think the whole blade may be warped, not just a wobbly sharpening job. I'll find out when I go to re-edge it.

Would you mind taking a picture of it again now that its cleaned? I work closely with a number of French Knife making families and from your current pictures, there are a lot of evidence of French (French influenced) knife craft.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

Biaga posted:

Would you mind taking a picture of it again now that its cleaned? I work closely with a number of French Knife making families and from your current pictures, there are a lot of evidence of French (French influenced) knife craft.

Sure thing. Here's an imgur album that shows a better look at the blade profile, a couple shots of the lack of straightness, and an overall shot of each side.
http://imgur.com/a/UeLjH

E: I think the rivet holes are 5/32 wide, just guessing from putting a tape measure up next to them. I snagged a little chunk of oak to make a handle from, I've just got to find the appropriate rivets at this point.

Oldsrocket_27 fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jan 20, 2017

Biaga
Oct 27, 2009

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

Sure thing. Here's an imgur album that shows a better look at the blade profile, a couple shots of the lack of straightness, and an overall shot of each side.
http://imgur.com/a/UeLjH

E: I think the rivet holes are 5/32 wide, just guessing from putting a tape measure up next to them. I snagged a little chunk of oak to make a handle from, I've just got to find the appropriate rivets at this point.

Wow, that thing has been through some poo poo.

And there are no makers marks on the oposite side? usually on the left hand side about half an inch out from the handle. With the amount of wear on it I assume there will be little to no clear mark, but shine a bright light on it and if its anything beyond a chemical stamp it should leave slight marks.

Regardless, its an interesting piece, I look forward to your final finished project. I always find that rescuing a knife makes them that much more special.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
I'm still perusing the thread, but today my wife mentioned wanting a nice set of knives (or a few really good ones that we'll actually use), the only stipulation is that she wants something *made in the US* for some reason. We have a Tojiro DP that we both use regularly and it's been phenomenal. Are there any great American-made knives?

How about these?

two_beer_bishes fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Jan 25, 2017

• Locked thread