Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

For another reference the electricity Oak Ridge consumed was somewhere in the 20-40% range of the entire electrical production of the Third Reich during. Total, not annual.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

xthetenth posted:

For another reference the electricity Oak Ridge consumed was somewhere in the 20-40% range of the entire electrical production of the Third Reich during. Total, not annual.

Pennsylvania outproduced the entire Axis in steel. (Apologies if this has come up in the thread recently.)

Also, it was markedly better steel toward the end.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma

Spaced God posted:

Oh poo poo I can talk about World War Two and early nukes for days.

Here's my favorite non nuclear Manhattan project story. So Richard Feynman was a bit of a character, and because he was in the middle of the desert he often found himself unbearably bored. And because Feynman was Feynman, he used this boredom just to be a hilarious rear end in a top hat.

Since everything in Los Alamos was beyond top secret, everyone had their own safe in their office for which they can set their own combination. The combination was three two-digit numbers, but Feynman realized that if people wanted to set the number to something they can remember (a date like a birthday or anniversary, or a mathematical constant because nerds) it cut the possible combinations drastically. Additionally, because it was the 1940's, the locks weren't the best, so you could get within a few digits and still open. So he'd spend a few minutes trying some dates and pi and e and jostle it and more often than not it'd open and Feynman would put in a little note or move poo poo around for fun.

Once people found out and wanted to see how he did it, he wouldn't show him trying the numbers, but they'd watch him walk in with a hacksaw and a stethoscope (which he wouldn't use), wait a half hour (he'd do it in two minutes), and see him come out all sweaty showing them the open safe (he'd do a few jumping jacks to make it seem like it was an effort).

A few people Feynman pranked were scared into thinking he was a spy, which is funny because while Feynman wasn't a spy, his roommate and very good friend, one Klaus Fuchs, very much was.

Edit: an additional little tidbit, Feynman is allegedly the only person to see the Trinity detonation unshielded. Everyone was given welder's goggles to look through, but Feynman ascertained that the UV and other harmful rays would be blocked by glass, so he sat in a truck cab and watched through the windscreen.

Feynman was a total prankster and he ruled.

mediocre dad okay
Jan 9, 2007

The fascist don't like life then he break other's
BEAT BEAT THE FASCIST

Spaced God posted:

A few people Feynman pranked were scared into thinking he was a spy, which is funny because while Feynman wasn't a spy, his roommate and very good friend, one Klaus Fuchs, very much was.

This is hilarious. "Boys, I think we have a German spy on our hands. It has to be Richard, Bob, Andy or Klaus." "It's probably Richard, that guy is an rear end in a top hat"

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

mediocre dad okay posted:

This is hilarious. "Boys, I think we have a German spy on our hands. It has to be Richard, Bob, Andy or Klaus." "It's probably Richard, that guy is an rear end in a top hat"

Fuchs was a Soviet spy though :v:

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Zero Fuchs given.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

System Metternich posted:

Yeah, that's he wants you to believe..

mediocre dad okay
Jan 9, 2007

BEAT BEAT THE FASCIST

System Metternich posted:

Oops. See, this is what ruined my career in counter-intelligence.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

I thought it was that mongoose.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

No joke, someone asked Fuchs before he was outed if there was a spy who it would be, and he totally said "oh yo 100% Feynman. He breaks into safes and poo poo"

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Good catch.

:roflolmao:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

The Nazis were aggressively bad at intelligence.

They knew the U.S. had used native language codes during the Great War, so they sent some academic types over to study them. The U.S. was aware of this, but the spies gave up on their own because there were too many different languages and they thought it was hopeless to even try to understand them.

Every single Nazi agent in Britain was imprisoned, killed, or turned double by war’s end.

Then there was GARBO, literally a one-man spy ring.

Nazi Germany didn’t even come close to penetrating the Manhattan Project. Their own scientists were in disbelief when the bombs were dropped on Japan.

In contrast, Stalin knew about the bomb before Truman.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
The Nazi's top spy for most of the war was working against Hitler. That should show how bad German Military intelligence was.

mediocre dad okay
Jan 9, 2007

BEAT BEAT THE FASCIST

Platystemon posted:

Then there was GARBO, literally a one-man spy ring.

Fuckin' Garbo. I love how he managed to convince the Nazis that the main attack was coming through Calais even after Normandy happened. Plus that whole Iron Cross + MBE thing. A goddamn national treasure, that man :spain:.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Platystemon posted:

Every single Nazi agent in Britain was imprisoned, killed, or turned double by war’s end.
One spy was caught because he didn't know that landlords weren't allowed to serve alcohol before lunchtime. Another was caught because he had german sausages in his suitcase.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Alhazred posted:

Another was caught because he had german sausages in his suitcase.

I need to read more about this. Or maybe I don't, because my mental image of him walking down the street with his suitcase and it splitting open sending German sausages flying everywhere as he scrambles to get them all back into suitcase before someone notices they're bratwurst and not cumberland is probably better than the real story.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
It was probably just a normal lunch except it had german language on the package and that aroused suspicion when you are, ya know, fighting germans.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Baron Corbyn posted:

I need to read more about this. Or maybe I don't, because my mental image of him walking down the street with his suitcase and it splitting open sending German sausages flying everywhere as he scrambles to get them all back into suitcase before someone notices they're bratwurst and not cumberland is probably better than the real story.

Nah, it's even better than that:

quote:

Another pair were stopped while cycling through Scotland on the wrong side of the road: once the police discovered German sausages and Nivea hand cream in their luggage, their cover was blown.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
One story I read in one which I really hope is true is that in the early months of the war, an elderly woman in England locked a man from the electricity board who'd come round to read the meter in a cupboard because he had a little moustache like Hitler, and she thought that meant he might be a devious German spy.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Wheat Loaf posted:

One story I read in one which I really hope is true is that in the early months of the war, an elderly woman in England locked a man from the electricity board who'd come round to read the meter in a cupboard because he had a little moustache like Hitler, and she thought that meant he might be a devious German spy.

I hope he learned his lesson. :colbert:

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

Nah, it's even better than that:

oh poo poo, i use nivea hand cream! :ohdear:

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Platystemon posted:

Wikipedia has a decent overview of this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double-Cross_System

quote:

Writing in 1972, John C. Masterman [...] said that by 1941, MI5 "actively ran and controlled the German espionage system in the United Kingdom." It was not an idle boast; post-war records confirmed that none of the Abwehr agents, bar one who committed suicide, went unnoticed

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

duTrieux. posted:

Caught you, smooth handed!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Fuckin' Garbo. I love how he managed to convince the Nazis that the main attack was coming through Calais even after Normandy happened. Plus that whole Iron Cross + MBE thing. A goddamn national treasure, that man :spain:.

The masterstroke was selling “the Normandy feint was so unexpectedly effective that they’ve called off the landings elsewhere, the ones which the Normandy landings were originally intended to cover”.

meatbag
Apr 2, 2007
Clapping Larry

duTrieux. posted:

Please present your sausage for inspection :cop:

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Alhazred posted:

One spy was caught because he didn't know that landlords weren't allowed to serve alcohol before lunchtime. Another was caught because he had german sausages in his suitcase.

On the other hand there was the story of the German POWs who escaped from Island Farm camp in Wales via tunneling under the fence:

Stage 2 of their escape involved stealing a car, which promptly refused to start up without the keys. Luckily they were met by four passing camp guards, who saw nothing suspicious about a carful of tall, blond 'Welsh miners' with inexplicably German accents trying to start the Camp doctor's car and kindly pushstarted it for them. They then picked up a rather baffled hitchhiker who rode along and gave them directions to Gloucester under the impression they were Norwegian tourists. The group were captured some hundred miles from the camp after abandoning the car when it ran out of petrol. When they later found out it belonged to a doctor they offered to pay for any damage done and the petrol used in their escape.

Of the 80 or so prisoners who escaped, only three weren't recaptured and possibly made it home; one prisoner was shot and wounded, and a guard suffered injuries when he fell into the entrance of the escape tunnel while chasing an escapee.

As an interesting aside, the Italian POWs held in Scotland apparently had so little interest in escaping and returning to the war that they were effectively held in open prison, and the officers were given leave to wander into the local town to buy cigarettes. After the war finished some of them actually moved back to the area as they had enjoyed their time there so much.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
In the U.S., we treated Nazi prisoners of war better than our own citizens of Japanese descent.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Nivea and Hugo Boss. Any other nazi products I can put on my avoid-list?

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

4 RING SHRIMP posted:

Orangina.

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.

4 RING SHRIMP posted:

Fanta. Volkswagen.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

GROHE.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
ThyssenKrupp. Hope you didn't take an elevator recently.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Ford
Nestle
General Electrics
IBM
Siemens
BMW

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Slime posted:

Orangina.

bean_shadow posted:

Fanta. Volkswagen.

Ensign Expendable posted:

steinrokkan posted:

Ford
Nestle
General Electrics
IBM
Siemens
BMW

The whole nein yards?

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
as long as we're taking the lofty approach to the affiliations of WWII era companies you might as well not fly anymore as it was largely boeing that roasted a couple hundred thousand civilians

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Ensign Expendable posted:

No, no. You mean Schindler's.

Edit: A more serious comment - Babylonians were able to count up to 60 in their hands, using the knuckles of four fingers on one hand and the five digits on the other as multiples of 12. That's why there are still some methods of measurement dependent on 60 or subdivisions thereof.

Samovar has a new favorite as of 16:33 on Jan 9, 2017

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Dhl. If you get a package delivered by them, you're pretty much a nazi.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Samovar posted:

No, no. You mean Schindler's.

Edit: A more serious comment - Babylonians were able to count up to 60 in their hands, using the knuckles of four fingers on one hand and the five digits on the other as multiples of 12. That's why there are still some methods of measurement dependent on 60 or subdivisions thereof.

Schindler was the guy who hid jews from the nazis, if I remember the film correctly.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Dr Oetker was a nazi and volunteered for SS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Why were there so many Nazi sympathizers in the US? It seems strange to me after the US had just fought in World War 1. Was it due to the large German population here? I read that was a big reason the US waiting so long to get into WW1 but didn't know if it played a part in WW2.