Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Roulette posted:

hire a videographer

You don't want to be working on your day. As much as the cost sucks, the ROI is much higher with someone with the right tools for the job

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Inzombiac posted:

I'm making a few specimen jars and I'm trying to find a fake brain that I can keep submerged in water.

Do I have a link for you!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3799626

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I have a GoPro Hero 5 Session and you can switch it to a linear FOV.

Or just wear it the entire time and have an extreme wedding video.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Roulette posted:

xposting from the Wedding thread:

I haven't seen this request, and I feel like the general answer would just be "hire a videographer", but I'm having a cheapy backyard wedding in Feb and I'm wanting to accomplish a few things:

1. Try to document the days leading up to the actual wedding since I never have family in town and this is almost turning into more of a family reunion with a short boring part where two people are the center of attention

2. Record the ceremony

3. Leave a camera up and running on a table somewhere for people to leave messages for us but also to just record the whole reception all night from one spot

Aside from a GoPro or Polaroid Cube Plus, what options would you guys recommend for a cheap budget? I keep coming back to the Polaroid Cube Plus because it's so small and with a big enough sd card (and being set in one place plugged in to a wall outlet) it seems like it will record for hours on end BUT I hate the fisheye warping it does (which is even worse on a GoPro) so is there an option I'm not considering? Are there any tiny camcorders for around $100 that will allow me to do what I'm wanting?

The video you get out of this will be boring as hell, basically what you're saying is you want security cam footage of your wedding. Hire someone. Yes it's expensive, it's also worth it.

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce

Roulette posted:

xposting from the Wedding thread:

I haven't seen this request, and I feel like the general answer would just be "hire a videographer", but I'm having a cheapy backyard wedding in Feb and I'm wanting to accomplish a few things:

1. Try to document the days leading up to the actual wedding since I never have family in town and this is almost turning into more of a family reunion with a short boring part where two people are the center of attention

2. Record the ceremony

3. Leave a camera up and running on a table somewhere for people to leave messages for us but also to just record the whole reception all night from one spot

Aside from a GoPro or Polaroid Cube Plus, what options would you guys recommend for a cheap budget? I keep coming back to the Polaroid Cube Plus because it's so small and with a big enough sd card (and being set in one place plugged in to a wall outlet) it seems like it will record for hours on end BUT I hate the fisheye warping it does (which is even worse on a GoPro) so is there an option I'm not considering? Are there any tiny camcorders for around $100 that will allow me to do what I'm wanting?

Although it's super loving obnoxious, this is why people do the wedding hashtags, so they can collect and choose pictures of their friends and their wedding celebrations from places that they weren't in.

A former boss of mine did a Vegas wedding (planned, but still relatively cheaply) and she said when it came down to her budget, she could either have the dress she wanted, or a professional photographer. She took the photographer and over a decade later still talks about it. Her husband passed away suddenly two years ago, and I know she really cherishes those pictures because she said she barely remembers the day of.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Whoa, thanks :D

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004
I'm looking for an indoor bike trainer, the kind where you use your own bike and just suspect the back wheel off the ground so you can train indoors. My criteria are:

1. Something that folds up compactly when I'm not using it
2. Easy to set up and take down
3. Under $100

Roulette
Sep 17, 2006
So far the only helpful suggestion has been maybe a GoPro in narrow mode. The cost of an inexpensive videographer is basically my entire budget for my wedding so it literally isn't an option. I'm not poor by any means, but I'm also not willing to take out a loan just to have someone follow me around with a camera instead of setting one somewhere so I can record raw footage to edit myself later.

Does anyone have any other camera suggestions?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Roulette posted:

So far the only helpful suggestion has been maybe a GoPro in narrow mode. The cost of an inexpensive videographer is basically my entire budget for my wedding so it literally isn't an option. I'm not poor by any means, but I'm also not willing to take out a loan just to have someone follow me around with a camera instead of setting one somewhere so I can record raw footage to edit myself later.

Maybe just encourage people to take pictures and email them to a new email address you set up

Biscuit Joiner
May 18, 2008

Roulette posted:

I have a Mobius camera that I use as a dashcam in my car.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DP1WYD2
It does 1080p video, can run off the internal battery or external power source, uses microsd cards, has a built-in tripod mount point and is less than $80.

There are a few different models. The one linked above is the narrow lens model, a wide angle version (named C2 lens) is also available.
After the wedding you can use it as dashcam in your car.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Speaking of GoPros, which memory card do I want that gives me faster transfer speeds?

It takes an hour to transfer 30 gigabytes through the card reader on my Mac with the included SDHC card (that I don't know the details of off-hand, but it came with the GoPro).

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Biscuit Joiner
May 18, 2008

PRADA SLUT posted:

Speaking of GoPros, which memory card do I want that gives me faster transfer speeds?

It takes an hour to transfer 30 gigabytes through the card reader on my Mac with the included SDHC card (that I don't know the details of off-hand, but it came with the GoPro).

Here is a good explanation
https://www.sdcard.org/developers/overview/speed_class/

GoPros require at least a class 10 card. If the card that you have is class 10 and it's taking an hour to to transfer 30gb then you have a bottleneck somewhere else.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
I'm tired of getting actual Ray-Ban Wayfarers because they scratch extremely easily and are obviously made of about $2 in materials. It also seems impossible to search for actually scratch resistant / good optical clarity lenses because they all make that claim.

Can anyone recommend (new) Wayfarer-style sunglasses with actually good lenses / construction? Polarized is a must.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Glottis posted:

I'm tired of getting actual Ray-Ban Wayfarers because they scratch extremely easily and are obviously made of about $2 in materials. It also seems impossible to search for actually scratch resistant / good optical clarity lenses because they all make that claim.

Can anyone recommend (new) Wayfarer-style sunglasses with actually good lenses / construction? Polarized is a must.

Revo

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Glottis posted:

I've been happy with Maui Jim quality, but it is stupidly expensive.

https://www.amazon.com/Maui-Jim-Brah-284-Sunglasses/dp/B00WMYVZWO

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Fishing guys really like Costas and Smith Optics. I have a pair of each and while I do baby them as much as I can, they both have so far survived a season of use without a scratch, where the season before I ran through 3-4 pairs of cheaper ones.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Van Dis posted:

I'm looking for an indoor bike trainer, the kind where you use your own bike and just suspect the back wheel off the ground so you can train indoors. My criteria are:

1. Something that folds up compactly when I'm not using it
2. Easy to set up and take down
3. Under $100

If you're still looking, https://slickdeals.net/f/9634640-magnet-steel-bike-indoor-exercise-trainer-stand-45 just popped up on slickdeals for half of your budget

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Glottis posted:

Really? My Ray bans have help up extraordinarily well. In fact I dropped them off my head into pavement today, as I've done many times, no damage..You sure you didn't get knockoffs?

unbutthurtable
Dec 2, 2016

Total. Tox. Rereg.

College Slice

Glottis posted:

I've got two pairs of aviators from Knockaround and I love them because they're just as sturdy and solid as expensive pairs, but they're cheap enough at $30 that I don't have a major worry about scratching or losing them. They're the perfect compromise, and they seem to make a similar analogue of wayfarers.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

My dog is getting old and grey and having more trouble than she used to in getting in and out of my car. I can kind of help lift her in and out, but she hates that. Any suggestions for some steps or a stool or something to help her climb in herself? Preferably something that can be collapsed somewhat so I can take it along with us to wherever it is I'm driving her. She's a standard poodle, so it needs to be sturdy enough for a medium/large dog.

Julet Esqu has a new favorite as of 06:30 on Jan 7, 2017

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Julet Esqu posted:

My dog is getting old and grey and having more trouble than she used to in getting in and out of my car. I can kind of help lift her in and out, but she hates that. Any suggestions for some steps or a stool or something to help her climb in herself? Preferably something that can be collapsed somewhat so I can take it along with us to wherever it is I'm driving her. She's a standard poodle, so it needs to be sturdy enough for a medium/large dog.

What if you just make a chicken coop ramp type thing? Strip of plywood with some foot grab crossbars screwed into it.

If she's heavy enough maybe throw a 2x4 underneath it for support.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

What's a good pillow for side sleepers? I'd like an upgrade on this thin flat thing I have currently.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Frankston posted:

What's a good pillow for side sleepers? I'd like an upgrade on this thin flat thing I have currently.

For memory foam, I've liked this one a lot: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00V909F1K/

Alternatively make or buy a buckwheat hull pillow, like this one: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000F1FL9E and then adjust the amount of buckwheat hulls to whatever makes the pillow conform best to your head.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

tangy yet delightful posted:

What if you just make a chicken coop ramp type thing? Strip of plywood with some foot grab crossbars screwed into it.

If she's heavy enough maybe throw a 2x4 underneath it for support.

This might work...

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

.Z. posted:

For memory foam, I've liked this one a lot: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00V909F1K/

Alternatively make or buy a buckwheat hull pillow, like this one: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000F1FL9E and then adjust the amount of buckwheat hulls to whatever makes the pillow conform best to your head.

These don't look like they have a lot of support for the neck if I'm on one side. Have you used the first one for a bit?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

obi_ant posted:

These don't look like they have a lot of support for the neck if I'm on one side. Have you used the first one for a bit?

The thing about a buckwheat hull pillow is that it's actually incredibly firm, but you can shape it to whatever to conform to your head. I'm a side sleeper and I use one. Every night I shove it under my head to hit my shoulder, adjust the uhhh ride height I guess you'd say, and my head lays perfectly flat on it. Give it a shot, at the very least they're very inexpensive pillows.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Anyone want to recommend some booties/mittens for a 25ish pound dog (Corgi)? Whenever I walk my dog on cold enough days he'll occasionally limp for a bit or stop and pull one paw up off the ground, presumably due to the cold or getting road salt in his paw, which makes walking him in the winter annoying at best. However, the set I bought at the local pet store don't really stay on his feet which kind of defeats the purpose IMO.

Kusaru
Dec 20, 2006

I'm a Bro-ny!

C-Euro posted:

Anyone want to recommend some booties/mittens for a 25ish pound dog (Corgi)? Whenever I walk my dog on cold enough days he'll occasionally limp for a bit or stop and pull one paw up off the ground, presumably due to the cold or getting road salt in his paw, which makes walking him in the winter annoying at best. However, the set I bought at the local pet store don't really stay on his feet which kind of defeats the purpose IMO.

I used to work pet retail, and the ones that worked best year after year were PAWZ (pawzdogboots.com). They're not warm but they keep the salt and wet off and are reusable. Most people said a pack would last a full winter.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

C-Euro posted:

I've had great luck with Musher's Scecret on my dachshunds (who refuse to walk in booties).

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

obi_ant posted:

I've had no problem with either one for side sleeping support.

The memory foam pillow has a lot of support, it's pretty thick. There is a good side shot down in the customer reviews section.

With buckwheat, the thing to keep in mind is that it doesn't compress. I had to remove some of the filler to make it comfortable for my neck. You can also make some adjustments to the pillow by building up or thinning the filler wherever you are resting your head.

That being said, I'd get the memory foam pillow first.
A. It's easily returnable through Amazon if you don't like it.
B. Less fuss, you won't have to play around with the filler to find what works for you.
C. Buckwheat pillows are something of an acquired taste. Many find them noisy and dislike how firm the pillow is.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

C-Euro posted:

Anyone want to recommend some booties/mittens for a 25ish pound dog (Corgi)?

My wife used to work at an animal shelter that had a retail storefront, they used to sell a few brands in the winter months but everyone who worked there swore by Muttluks. Apparently they're worth the price premium - she said for a Corgi you should expect to spend between $45-60 depending on your dog's paw size.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
Our Keurig is starting to leak water onto the counter so I think it's finally time to replace. I'm looking for a coffee maker with the following (might be hard)

1. Can brew K-Cups
2. Can Provide Hot Water
3. Can brew Regular coffee

I can hit points 1 and 2 by getting a regular keurig but I like to be able to make a pot when we have company over. Does a machine like this even exist? (And is it not a piece of trash?)

I might just buy another Keurig honestly but just thought I'd throw it out there.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

But a kuerig and a cheap French press you can put away?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Ditch all that garbage and get an Aero Press.
Coffee derail! :classiclol:

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Inzombiac posted:

Ditch all that garbage and get an Aero Press.
Coffee derail! :classiclol:

I have an aero press. I use the Keurig to make the hot water for it but sometimes I'm in a rush and want to throw in a k-cup.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

m.hache posted:

I have an aero press. I use the Keurig to make the hot water for it but sometimes I'm in a rush and want to throw in a k-cup.

Acceptable.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

m.hache posted:

Our Keurig is starting to leak water onto the counter so I think it's finally time to replace. I'm looking for a coffee maker with the following (might be hard)

1. Can brew K-Cups
2. Can Provide Hot Water
3. Can brew Regular coffee

I can hit points 1 and 2 by getting a regular keurig but I like to be able to make a pot when we have company over. Does a machine like this even exist? (And is it not a piece of trash?)

I might just buy another Keurig honestly but just thought I'd throw it out there.

2 out of 3 here as well: https://www.hamiltonbeach.com/flexbrew-coffee-makers.html

My step dad has one of the coffee pot or single machines but it doesn't look like it does just water.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

The Electronaut posted:

2 out of 3 here as well: https://www.hamiltonbeach.com/flexbrew-coffee-makers.html

My step dad has one of the coffee pot or single machines but it doesn't look like it does just water.

That's the exact one I came up on.

Turns out you can do water if you just don't put grinds in the carafe portion. Next paycheck I'll likely pick that one up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Just a heads up that hot water from a K-cup machine tastes like coffee. So if your plan is to use the hot water for anything other than making coffee, you might want to adjust your plans.

-Someone who drinks tea but not coffee