Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Born in Bexhill
Apr 9, 2007
Too soon man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

It's not marginal. Even a 7200rpm external ($50) loads you in like a full minute before the stock drive.

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

"Man is the animal that thinks something is wrong."
So I just plug in a USB 3.0 external drive and then what? Transfer data? The console then runs off the external?

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
why not just buy a 2.5" HD and replace the stock one, adding a step of connectivity seems... counterintuitive

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
back in the bf3 days you could unlock a hidden thalidomide baby mode by moving all the dlcs to a thumb drive and disconnecting it, allowing you to stunt on the morons too poor to get their media anywhere other than redbox

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Ol Standard Retard posted:

why not just buy a 2.5" HD and replace the stock one, adding a step of connectivity seems... counterintuitive

USB3 isn't the bottleneck.

You plug in a 7200rpm usb3 external drive and the Xbox pops up a window asking if you want to format it for Xbox games. You say yes.

From there you can click on your games and tell them to move themselves to the external drive.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

FastestGunAlive posted:

Rec me one. Waiting on a tank his hurting my kill farming

I bought http://www.bestbuy.com/site/pny-cs1311-480gb-internal-sata-iii-solid-state-drive/4825401.p?skuId=4825401 and a $20 enclosure and made my own external SSD. It's like 10 seconds work and you save $70.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

I bought http://www.bestbuy.com/site/pny-cs1311-480gb-internal-sata-iii-solid-state-drive/4825401.p?skuId=4825401 and a $20 enclosure and made my own external SSD. It's like 10 seconds work and you save $70.

Cheers

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Ol Standard Retard posted:

I believe the system will be flagged as having been tampered/modded in live

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

e.pilot posted:

I believe the system will be flagged as having been tampered/modded in live

Sorry i am a dirty Playstation user and just assumed you could do the same thing with the bone

winter.mute
Jan 5, 2010
adding to the SSD chatlog

just put one in my ps4 pro this afternoon and spent hours redownloading and reinstalling from the cloud, discs, usb, etc...
during that whole time I was wondering if it was really worth the minor bump in speed.

yes. absolutely.

after a few hours of BF1 I haven't seen a black loading screen once and I've always been the first to load into a map and have to wait for the other players to load in.

video of load time between matches:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aizd0MBHWSA

watch the "Waiting For Players To Join" dialog at the top to see how much of a lead I get to choose a vehicle

Skater h8er
May 11, 2013
Limpet patrol checking in http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/SKATER%20H8ER/video/25422833

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Goddamn.

I've been stuck on "5 explosive kills in a life" all week. I rampaged through the regular and vehicle kills, got stuck, finished every other medal during a break, and now a stuck on it. People refuse to die.

Skater h8er
May 11, 2013

Pleads posted:

Goddamn.

I've been stuck on "5 explosive kills in a life" all week. I rampaged through the regular and vehicle kills, got stuck, finished every other medal during a break, and now a stuck on it. People refuse to die.

Pick the arty truck and go after armored cars one shot kills em and usually they are full of guys so that's 4 down right there

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Nah, guns and bombs don't count. Has to be grenades, limpets, dynamite, etc.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

winter.mute posted:

just put one in my ps4 pro this afternoon and spent hours redownloading and reinstalling from the cloud, discs, usb, etc...
during that whole time I was wondering if it was really worth the minor bump in speed.

yes. absolutely.

after a few hours of BF1 I haven't seen a black loading screen once and I've always been the first to load into a map and have to wait for the other players to load in.

[video type="youtube"]aizd0MBHWSA[video]

watch the "Waiting For Players To Join" dialog at the top to see how much of a lead I get to choose a vehicle

it almost gets annoying at times how quickly I enter in to games to just sit and wait

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

winter.mute posted:

yes. absolutely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aizd0MBHWSA

Got a recommendation? I am interested in this.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

:arnie:

Analdeath
Aug 12, 2007

Chilled-out entertainer.
I've built up this general disdain for heavies given that there is usually a complete dumbass at the controls and stuff like this doesn't help

Or stuff like this

Or even this

Luckily in all these incidents all of the ineptness happened on the enemy team (excluding my decision to charge an enemy tank that hadn't seen me in a damaged light tank with one shell left)

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
How the gently caress do you guys cope with constantly being spawnkilled?! It's so loving frustrating. "Oh I spawned on top of an anti-tank grenade" "oh i spawned in front of a window and got immediately headshotted by a sniper" "oh, I spawned prone, but an enemy is standing over me with an smg"

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Wait ten seconds and respawn? It's a video game about people dying very rapidly, after all.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Lawnie posted:

Wait ten seconds and respawn? It's a video game about people dying very rapidly, after all.

Yeah it's just frustrating when it happens a bunch of times in a row.

Are limpets on a cooldown like mortars and crossbows now? I'm just trying them again for the first time in weeks...

Snak fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Jan 8, 2017

Live At Five!
Feb 15, 2008

Snak posted:

How the gently caress do you guys cope with constantly being spawnkilled?! It's so loving frustrating. "Oh I spawned on top of an anti-tank grenade" "oh i spawned in front of a window and got immediately headshotted by a sniper" "oh, I spawned prone, but an enemy is standing over me with an smg"

Which game mode? Are you spawning on squad mates? I almost never get spawn killed. Maybe don't spawn on your squad because they're probably doing something stupid.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

Analdeath posted:

I've built up this general disdain for heavies given that there is usually a complete dumbass at the controls and stuff like this doesn't help

Or stuff like this

Or even this

Luckily in all these incidents all of the ineptness happened on the enemy team (excluding my decision to charge an enemy tank that hadn't seen me in a damaged light tank with one shell left)

Always Be Arty Truckin

If you can't arty truck it, gently caress it

Etc

Laminator
Jan 18, 2004

You up for some serious plastic surgery?

Snak posted:

Are limpets on a cooldown like mortars and crossbows now? I'm just trying them again for the first time in weeks...

Nope, takes about 20 sec or so for a respawn in your inventory after a resupply.

FastestGunAlive posted:

Always Be Arty Truckin

Etc

Just be on the lookout for galloping horses...

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Laminator posted:

Nope, takes about 20 sec or so for a respawn in your inventory after a resupply.

Gotcha.

Auxiliary Treats
Jun 26, 2013

Snak posted:

It was already mentioned but be wary of spawning on squadmates if you're playing with pubbies. Sometimes you just need to roll with it though, since even spawning on a flag can end up like this. (Granted that was from 2 months ago so the spawn system has likely been updated)

Try to play with goons more often. I know I added you a couple nights ago but haven't gotten a chance to play much.

Analdeath
Aug 12, 2007

Chilled-out entertainer.

FastestGunAlive posted:

Always Be Arty Truckin

Etc

I'm a howitzer light tank whore. Sure I stole an arty truck the other night and got like 30 kills just hanging back, but for me it's got to be 3-shotting heavies up close in my dinky little toy tank.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
I loved howitzer in beta but when I tried it on release it was unbearable. Did they fix it with one of the patches?

winter.mute
Jan 5, 2010

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

Got a recommendation? I am interested in this.

I got the Samsung Evo 850 on sale locally but you could probably find a good deal online
if you want to save a little more, I've also heard good things about the Crucial MX300

I also stayed with the 1tb since going up to 2tb gets cost prohibitive pretty quick and I put the original HDD in an external enclosure for more storage

Analdeath
Aug 12, 2007

Chilled-out entertainer.

FastestGunAlive posted:

I loved howitzer in beta but when I tried it on release it was unbearable. Did they fix it with one of the patches?

I dunno, I never played beta. I full intended to use it as a novelty vehicle, the setup seemed just right - massive cannon with awful range mounted on little one man tank - but actually it turned out to be super powerful against armour close up and the smoke and emergency repair make it very survivable for me even playing very aggressively. And it's got a ridiculous MG like the arty truck so you can machine gun scope glints from across the map and watch hitmarkers stack up.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

I'm jealous of those SSD load times. I have a 2tb HDD in my ps4 and I load slower than even the stock HDD, it sucks. All that space though is nice.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Fuckin hell lads, might go get an SSD to put in my console, almost purely because I can finally choose a vehicle at my leisure.

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

We're sealing the tunnel!

Snak posted:

Do what I do. Die so often and fast that getting spawn killed actually increases your average lifespan.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

winter.mute posted:

I also stayed with the 1tb since going up to 2tb gets cost prohibitive pretty quick and I put the original HDD in an external enclosure for more storage

I also recommend sticking with a 1tb or even 500gb drive, they're not as expensive as they used to be but still ramp up pretty quickly, and i usually find I don't need more than a few games downloaded at any given time

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo

winter.mute posted:

I got the Samsung Evo 850 on sale locally but you could probably find a good deal online
if you want to save a little more, I've also heard good things about the Crucial MX300

am I reading this right? ~$320 for a vehicle slot? 500GB is ~$170 but gently caress juggling games. What kind of deals are y'all finding

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Poor spotted :henget:

Today mail skater and I combined for over 100 kills on Sinai. I know everyone else hates it but as a true arty truck driver it's one of the best

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

mellowjournalism posted:

am I reading this right? ~$320 for a vehicle slot? 500GB is ~$170 but gently caress juggling games. What kind of deals are y'all finding

I put this 2TB hybrid drive in my PS4. I think it provides a good mix of price, storage, and speed. I can have all the games I want installed and I still load BF4 maps before everyone else.

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

"Man is the animal that thinks something is wrong."

venutolo posted:

I put this 2TB hybrid drive in my PS4. I think it provides a good mix of price, storage, and speed. I can have all the games I want installed and I still load BF4 maps before everyone else.

You can find the 1TB version of this for 70.00... I hate the idea of needing to upgrade a console but the idea of a guaranteed arty truck every round and double the storage for a bit more than the cost of a new game is really tempting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

winter.mute
Jan 5, 2010

mellowjournalism posted:

am I reading this right? ~$320 for a vehicle slot?

it's not just that BF1 isn't the only thing I'm using the PS4 Pro for, the SSDwill cut load times on everything
it varies from game to game, some get minor gains and others can get load times cut in half

this isn't the same SSD I've got but here's a comparison I found of some load times

from what I've read sp games and apps benefit but online is where it really shines because of the fast access to data on the hard drive

all that aside, when it comes to my entertainment...
:homebrew:
we're all going to die enjoy it while you can.