Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord
Foo Fighters was cuter in her plankton form

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Improbable Lobster posted:

Foo Fighters was cuter in her plankton form

gently caress you

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

also but how does king crimson work

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

it erases chunks of time

e: except Diavolo and King Crimson can act during erased time, in the same way Dio can act during stopped time

fractalairduct fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Jan 8, 2017

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Atroe was pretty weird huh

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

FirstAidKite posted:

What are we due for next? Part rankings, credits song guesses, or talking about how annakiss and anasui aren't the same person?

Something about how sexist Araki is for something innocuous that doesn't actually indicate his beliefs at all.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

FirstAidKite posted:

What are we due for next? Part rankings, credits song guesses, or talking about how annakiss and anasui aren't the same person?

Alessi

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!
Anecdotal evidence on part popularity. In a nice little store in Akiba I found one Cream, one Josuke, one stone mask, one Avdol, one part 5 spoiler, one purple haze, one gold experience, one Tonio, one oingo boingo, one jotaro and two kosaku kiras.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Exercu posted:

Anecdotal evidence on part popularity. In a nice little store in Akiba I found one Cream, one Josuke, one stone mask, one Avdol, one part 5 spoiler, one purple haze, one gold experience, one Tonio, one oingo boingo, one jotaro and two kosaku kiras.

Part 6 confirmed the most popular since there were no part 6 items left.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

FirstAidKite posted:

lucy steel

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Archenteron posted:

There's a "how does King Crimson work?" meme on the band's facebook page :psyduck:

Part 5 anime is looking good already

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.
Was a fan of the early Jojo series, especially the Jotaro one. Finished watching Stardust Crusaders last week and it's absolutely stellar, as good as I remember it (read the comics eons ago).

I've recently started Diamond is Unbreakable (anime) and the amount of stupid is physically hurting me. Why has the series gone from adult manly characters betting their souls in a poker game to some prepubescent boy being imprisoned by a high school girl with a "hair" Stand, forced to pee himself because the bathroom door has a lock? Why does his dumb noise-making stand looks like a pokemon? Why doesn't Jotaro have a nose now, what the gently caress happened to Araki's style?.

Is the Josuke part representative of what comes next? Because I wanted to read the comics again but there's only so much crushing disappointment I can take.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Kawabata posted:

Was a fan of the early Jojo series, especially the Jotaro one. Finished watching Stardust Crusaders last week and it's absolutely stellar, as good as I remember it (read the comics eons ago).

I've recently started Diamond is Unbreakable (anime) and the amount of stupid is physically hurting me. Why has the series gone from adult manly characters betting their souls in a poker game to some prepubescent boy being imprisoned by a high school girl with a "hair" Stand, forced to pee himself because the bathroom door has a lock? Why does his dumb noise-making stand looks like a pokemon? Why doesn't Jotaro have a nose now, what the gently caress happened to Araki's style?.

Is the Josuke part representative of what comes next? Because I wanted to read the comics again but there's only so much crushing disappointment I can take.

Part 5 has a more Stardust Crusaders-style structure, where a group of heroes travel to defeat a Bad Man while fighting enemy Stand users on the way there. But the series continues to change and evolve to this day, and the era of 80s action star beefslabs is over, so if you're too autistic to accept this change and take each part on its own merits rather than complaining it's different to the previous parts, who knows if you'll like it or not.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

hoobajoo posted:

Part 5 has a more Stardust Crusaders-style structure, where a group of heroes travel to defeat a Bad Man while fighting enemy Stand users on the way there. But the series continues to change and evolve, and the era of 80s action star beefslabs is over, so if you're too autistic to accept change and take each part on its own merits rather than complaining it's different to the previous part, who knows if you'll like it or not.

No no I get the 80s action star criticism but I'm also an older (30+!) occasional manga reader so I find it really, really difficult to like a story like Josuke's. Maybe it's aimed to a younger target audience, or maybe it's my taste: I'll keep watching it and see if my opinion changes. I did like most of the recent action-y stuff though (Kabaneri, Attack on Titan).

Araki's "new" style however is something that instantly didn't click with me. I don't need beefslabs but the drawings look almost pokemon-y at times, there seems to be waaay less detail than there was in Stardust Crusaders and Jotaro not having a nose still bothers me.

Kawabata fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jan 8, 2017

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

if you're unable to relate to anyone who isn't some gruff 30 year old buff guy then you probably won't like the rest of jojo

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

Johnny Joestar posted:

if you're unable to relate to anyone who isn't some gruff 30 year old buff guy then you probably won't like the rest of jojo

I mean I can relate to a 13 years old kid that pees himself, yells super hard in every episode with the most annoying voice and has a pokemon stand because I am also a human being but I really don't want to. There is a middle ground between that and stardust crusaders roidland and I sure hope I'll find in the next series. Or in Josuke's after a while.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
There's mafiosos and cowboys later on.

Fourth jojo is a bit of a 'slice of life' change of pace, but it's not all high school hijinx all the way. It's very good, just different.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Kawabata posted:

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

he also doesn't have a nose, like the new non-beefslab jotaro

StalkofWheat
Oct 10, 2012
Don't worry, part 5 has a group of hardened mobsters as the protagonists.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Though I only saw a few episodes and didn't like it Frank Underwood from House of Cards is the voice of Valentine in my head and it's perfect.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

These new Pokemon/Stands suck! I wish they went back to the superior old designs!

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

horriblePencilist posted:

These new Pokemon/Stands suck! I wish they went back to the superior old designs!

I mean you cherry picked the most irrelevant stand of starlight crusaders and it still looks less dumb.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
shame that you don't like the cool eyeless lizard with roller skate wheels.

it honestly looks a lot like Iggys Stand tbh which is probably the best Stand design in Part 3

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

Moltrey posted:

shame that you don't like the cool eyeless lizard with roller skate wheels.

it honestly looks a lot like Iggys Stand tbh which is probably the best Stand design in Part 3

I like most part 3 stands tbh, but I have to say that part 4 stands overall still look great aside from the dumb green pokemon. Also any episode without the insufferable prepubescent kid has been so much better, maybe I was too quick to judge.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Koichi is the same age as Josuke.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

You really are occupied with prepubescent teens and Pokemon comparisons.

The World has a pretty awesome design

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i guess heirophant green is also a pokemon

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

Kawabata posted:

I like most part 3 stands tbh, but I have to say that part 4 stands overall still look great aside from the dumb green pokemon. Also any episode without the insufferable prepubescent kid has been so much better, maybe I was too quick to judge.

Koichi is 15 and short. He's 17 and still short by the time part 5 rolls around.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
Koichi is great later but is total rear end in early episodes. Part 4 takes a minute to get really good.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

Johnny Joestar posted:

i guess heirophant green is also a pokemon

if he is he's the best pokemon

the arceus of stands

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
"I don't understand why this lovely teenager is here and gets focused on" thinks the 30+ year old guy who is not in the target demographic for the series.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Tbf I was cold on Diamond is Unbreakable at first too because I started it right after Stardust Crusaders. It's a real screeching halt when you just came off the finale of SDC. Eventually though I came to adore it. Didn't freak about Pokemon and puberty though and I'm 25

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Cream was a pretty cool design and ability

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

guys

guys

and girl (EmmyOk)

Vanilla

Ice

CREAM!!!!

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
now I wonder if being a high school senior and skipping class to play Smash Brothers and other poo poo when I first read Part 4 warmed me up to it faster than otherwise

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

BaDandy posted:

"I don't understand why this lovely teenager is here and gets focused on" thinks the 30+ year old guy who is not in the target demographic for the series.

The oldest 'main' Joestar during their own part is Jonathan at 20.

standard owl
Jan 9, 2011

Jojo's has always been aimed at adolescent boys (despite the insane gore), and if you miss Araki's art that much you could just...read the manga...? David did a pretty good job adapting it into anime, but imho the original art in part 4 is at a pinnacle matched only by part 7's :discourse:

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Improbable Lobster posted:

The oldest 'main' Joestar during their own part is Jonathan at 20.

Wasn't Johnny a few years older than that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

Kuroyama posted:

Wasn't Johnny a few years older than that?

Johnny's 19