Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Simon Milligan
Mar 27, 2003

Yes, I have walked along the path of evil many times, it's a twisting curving path, that actually leads to a charming block garden, but beyond that evil!

Oh I know, it's just funny how for years we have all looked in like you have to be kidding people, yet SC is still scamming along.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Lladre posted:

So I got this in my mail.
http://www.ign.com/videos/2017/01/05/2-minutes-of-mass-effect-andromeda-tech-and-combat-gameplay-ces-2017

I thought it looked pretty cool.

Some people however dislike that you can change classes on the fly (In a single player game)....

I mean, really?

Don't like being able to change classes? Then just don't.

What are the odds these guys are SC backers.

Class change is one of FFXIV's main features, and it's the greatest thing ever done in an MMORPG.

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

Christ Roberts is way better than toilet lord...
:gary: :lesnick: :yarg:
:pgabz: :fuzzknot: :eonwe:
:wtchris:

Xaerael posted:

Class change is one of FFXIV's main features, and it's the greatest thing ever done in an MMORPG.

Personally not a fan of those insta switches. It gives less "weight" to building your char.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

p. nice Wolf Parade ref posted:

To a normal human this should have been the red flag from the beginning. Buying all that gaudy poo poo with backer money to look successful and important. The minute that LA office got stocked and with a limited edition Porsche outside everyone should have walked away.

How do you know that the staff didn't just bring all that furniture in from home? And how do you know that Chris Roberts didn't get that car for free because Oliver Blume is a huge fan of Wing Commander: the Movie, and just wanted to show Chris his unbiased appreciation?

You goons and your FUD. FUD I tell you!

#starcitizenlogic

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

A relaxing walk in the woods
Grimey Drawer

Xaerael posted:

How do you know that the staff didn't just bring all that furniture in from home? And how do you know that Chris Roberts didn't get that car for free because Oliver Blume is a huge fan of Wing Commander: the Movie, and just wanted to show Chris his unbiased appreciation?

You goons and your FUD. FUD I tell you!

#starcitizenlogic

The avid reader will note that not only have citizens outright stated the above, they have also argued, in complete honesty, that SQ42 cost almost nothing to make since all the actors worked for free (for the honor of being in the greatest project ever and for being good friends with Chris) and that the mo-cap studio charged no rent (since Serkis wanted to associate himself with the success brand of SC).

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Crazy_BlackParrot posted:

Personally not a fan of those insta switches. It gives less "weight" to building your char.

The class switch is only an overworld thing in FF, and the classes are individually leveled (your character itself never actually levels). If you're in combat or in an instance you're locked to whatever class you were geared into. All it really means is you don't have to LOLI to switch characters for a different class, and you can have all your stuff on one character rather than scattering it to multiples. I'm going to assume MEA is going to clone that system.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

FFXIV class system is great because I can actually tolerate leveling a class from low level to cap in it while every time I've tried to level a non hero based class in WoW recently ended when I reached cataclysm areas. You know something is hosed when you rather just drop 60 bucks on a level up token than actually do it by hand.

Sir Simon Milligan
Mar 27, 2003

Yes, I have walked along the path of evil many times, it's a twisting curving path, that actually leads to a charming block garden, but beyond that evil!

Xaerael posted:

This. I'm not a huge fan of mmorpgs for the most part, but I love dickin around FF XIV, such a great class system, and they push out new content at a speed CIG could only ever dream of. Well that is if they were trying to make a game, I don't believe for a second anymore that the higher ups at CIG have any intention of making one. Also Ben stole your 10k people who donated, they're all thieves, whether it be money, other people's art or intellectual property.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
The mocap studio and all its overpriced equipment paid for itself since they lease it out to other companies. Studios. All 3.. 4? of them.

It is fine for them to deck out their studios because Chris Roberts started this project from wealth so he is just bringing it all up to his level.

You can't attract talent without cushy offices.

All these I have heard.

Sir Simon Milligan
Mar 27, 2003

There's a good chapter in the Doom biography about Carmack and Romero, about the development of Daikatana. They had the expensive office and equipment and furniture etc. and everyone knows how that turned out. Romero wanted to project an amazing image without having done anything yet, with Ion Storm anyway. What amazes me is Roberts is like quadruple Romero, all those loving studios decked out and nothing to show for it. I forget the amount but I swear it was around 100mil in 90's money that Romero burnt through, so I can't comprehend in the modern day how CIG is still going with so many studios and employees.

benzine
Oct 21, 2010

There's a good chapter in the Doom biography about Carmack and Romero, about the development of Daikatana. They had the expensive office and equipment and furniture etc. and everyone knows how that turned out. Romero wanted to project an amazing image without having done anything yet, with Ion Storm anyway. What amazes me is Roberts is like quadruple Romero, all those loving studios decked out and nothing to show for it. I forget the amount but I swear it was around 100mil in 90's money that Romero burnt through, so I can't comprehend in the modern day how CIG is still going with so many studios and employees.

At least we got Deus Ex, from that ordeal

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

Skylights raining down on coders so they can't loving see.

Uncomfortable computer desks and chairs for coders.

A nice parallel, really.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I disagree. Trump had no problem at all getting elected with his accent.

Did he run against a british-sounding opponent? Check mate goonie.

A Neurotic Corncob
Nov 12, 2016

A light wind swept over the corn, and all nature laughed in the sunshine.
https://twitter.com/TheRealGremlich/status/818127794899128324

presumably based on Derek tweeting about the shill site.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Young Freud posted:

Outland was really into that, with it's '80s Ron Cobb "used universe" look. It looks like they used strip lights used for aquariums inside the helmets.

Ha, that was exactly the movie I was thinking about but was too lazy to type in Sean Connery space sheriff into google. That movie was rad as hell too.

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

A relaxing walk in the woods
Grimey Drawer

Ramadu posted:

Ha, that was exactly the movie I was thinking about but was too lazy to type in Sean Connery space sheriff into google. That movie was rad as hell too.

I mainly remember my first contact with it being as a kid in a MAD magazine parody of it which I didn't understand, not having seen the movie. But yeah, good underrated movie with solid design and aestethics.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Erenthal posted:

I mainly remember my first contact with it being as a kid in a MAD magazine parody of it which I didn't understand, not having seen the movie. But yeah, good underrated movie with solid design and aestethics.

Funnily enough it was also about a guy who was trying to bring down corporate greed and scams in space....

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

A Neurotic Corncob posted:

Imagine explaining to someone that your business failed because of a Derek Smart tweet.

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

A Neurotic Corncob posted:

lmao everything Derek does is a crime. They'd accuse him of indecent exposure and smuggling hazardous biological waste for using a public toilet.

And take a moment to appreciate that d_smart, certified egomaniac autist still isn't the dildo who puts REAL in his twitter handle here. :laugh:

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

What was the "fake news"? The fact that a months old website that had zero original content made it's first original content post about how great Star Citizen was, and how that website originated from Sandi's hometown?

Someone tweet the jpegs I made and see if this doof can connect the dots without hanging himself. (I can't, I don't do twitter)

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Ramadu posted:

You got me curious and Alien did something similar, but most of the lighting comes from a lamp exterior to the helmet.

Interestingly, Ripley's suit at the end doesn't have this, her face is illuminated by environmental lighting. Then again, Signorney Weaver's face is so pale and her hair so dark she doesn't need a light interior to the helmet to bring out her face.

Erenthal posted:

The thing people remember most about Outland is the explosive decompression scenes, the first with the miner in the beginning whose face inflates like a balloon when he opens his suit and then the two hitmen. Supposedly, that doesn't happen in real life, the closest is if you hold your breath, the nitrogen build-up will rupture your lungs and probably explosively tear open from your neck to your cheek.

Young Freud fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jan 8, 2017

stingtwo
Nov 16, 2012

Even when looking at the fiasco that was Ion Storm/Daikatana, there was at least some sense of logic behind all their bad decisions, CiG shifts the goal posts just to attempt theirs and it still makes them look like a clown shoe operation.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Lime Tonics posted:

You can buy likes and upvotes from a server farm in india. 30 dollars USD gets you about 15000~30000 hits. They claim to use VPNs to mask the hits but ehh, you get what you pay for I guess.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxNvUWN3vYk

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!

The Saddest Robot posted:

All the other articles are plagiarized without attribution but it's okay because they're just there to fill up the shilling website until I write more articles.

Someone should point him to a certain blog site. Just think of vast amounts he could cut and paste. A virtual wordacopia...

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Crazy_BlackParrot posted:

Squadron 42 was a disaster. It should have remained a toolset for building Star Citizen Universe and nothing more. I can clearly remember Chris saying things like “The creation tools will be simple to use and the most powerful ever seen”, as if somehow those 2 things can co-exist. Sorry, but no. Easy to use should have been the focus, and that sadly never happened. They always had a ridiculous learning curve to do anything beyond basic sh*t. Locking all those special features behind progression was also a REALLY dumb idea. Yep.. let’s PREVENT players from doing cool stuff until they’ve made squadron 42, If I had my way, everything would have just been open to use.. Go nuts creation mode.

The majority of the really crazy sh*t demo's was by pure accident with the system trying to comprehend what the ‘player’ really wanted to do. We (other team devs) repeatedly told them they needed to make things easier to use to increase critical mass involved, and were repeatedly told to mind our own business, you’re stupid, and on and on. 64bit, netcode 3.0, items 2.0, whatever the **** you wanted to call them was the engine trying to resolve something unintended, and coming out with something interesting and useful. It wasn’t planned in any way, shape, or form.

Let’s be clear too.. Squadron 42 was Chris's obsession, and there simply was no way to convince him otherwise about it being a game. I believe this ultimately killed Star Citizen.

Lol this is fun,

I hate to be a bother, but what is the original source/content that this relates to? Spore?

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

IncredibleIgloo posted:

I hate to be a bother, but what is the original source/content that this relates to? Spore?

http://eq2wire.com/2017/01/05/closing-the-book-on-everquest-next-and-landmark/

All it took was pasting a chunk of the text into google...

Sir Simon Milligan
Mar 27, 2003

stingtwo posted:

Even when looking at the fiasco that was Ion Storm/Daikatana, there was at least some sense of logic behind all their bad decisions, CiG shifts the goal posts just to attempt theirs and it still makes them look like a clown shoe operation.

With Romero it makes sense too, at the time he's a Rockstar who just made doom and doom 2, so I understand where the decisions came from even if they weren't the best. Robert's acts like he's a gaming/programming God and hasn't done poo poo in like 25 years. I hadn't thought about him or his game since the early 90s till I found out about SC on this site.

Edit: I think I basically repeated what you said haha. I completely agree.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Sandi's studio is decked out anyways. The guys in UK drink instant coffee as they huddle for warmth around their ikea furniture while their maniac boss stamps on a monitor all red faced.

More pre-led helmet lighting that came to mind

e: and a nice wtface I found while looking for stupid battlestar egyptian helmets

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Thanks. I would have done that but I am on mobile.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Young Freud posted:

You got me curious and Alien did something similar, but most of the lighting comes from a lamp exterior to the helmet.

Interestingly, Ripley's suit at the end doesn't have this, her face is illuminated by environmental lighting. Then again, Signorney Weaver's face is so pale and her hair so dark she doesn't need a light interior to the helmet to bring out her face.

The thing people remember most about Outland is the explosive decompression scenes, the first with the miner in the beginning whose face inflates like a balloon when he opens his suit and then the two hitmen. Supposedly, that doesn't happen in real life, the closest is if you hold your breath, the nitrogen build-up will rupture your lungs and probably explosively tear open from your neck to your cheek.

Yeah when Prometheus was coming out people were talking about the super slick space suits they had that hearkened back to the 1950s and the scifi serials of the time and there were a bunch of design articles linked about how they originally just did that so you could see the actors faces then realized it looked hella futuristic. Movie design stuff is really interesting when you can see design decisions made to convey concepts or ideas that are to show without using words.

But this was also done by Ridley Scott, you know, a man who has an actual vision and the visual design of Prometheus is second to none so far. Probably the prettiest movie made to date.

Its one reason why I cannot fault crobblers for being fascinated with mocap and movie making because it is super interesting, otoh hes fleeced nerds for more money than like 9/10 of the budget of every movie being made and hes got a real piece of junk so far. Like, his space suits are so loving BORING. In the posts we've been talking there has been what, 4 completely different looking space suits and 2 of those were even from the same director while crobblers is stealing his look from halo. It's just so sad because gently caress it, you're 10000 years or whatever in the future, go wild with your designs.

Ramadu fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jan 8, 2017

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Movie making secret: Helmet lighting is there so you can see the actor's face. It was a trick made up because lighting an actor on set with a full helmet on resulted in hard shadows unless the lighting was set up at weird angles that lit the set in weird ways.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

the visual design of prometheus is lovely but i much prefer the space truckin lo-tek of Alien

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Ramadu posted:

Yeah when Prometheus was coming out people were talking about the super slick space suits they had that hearkened back to the 1950s and the scifi serials of the time and there were a bunch of design articles linked about how they originally just did that so you could see the actors faces then realized it looked hella futuristic. Movie design stuff is really interesting when you can see design decisions made to convey concepts or ideas that are to show without using words.

One thing I love about those suits is the coloring. It really helped them stand out on the sets without looking silly.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

alf_pogs posted:

the visual design of prometheus is lovely but i much prefer the space truckin lo-tek of Alien

Prometheus would have been so much better if it was it's own unique universe. Leaning on the Alien universe made both the Alien and Prometheus weaker for it. From the trailer, it looks like MAYBE Ridley has learned his lesson (I hope) and aimed to make the sequel much it's own thing.

I was pissed I saw Prometheus in the theaters. I loved the Red Letter Media review of it however :haw:

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

alf_pogs posted:

Same. The fact that they went with the original style for Alien: Isolation was what really sold me on it. It looks gorgeous.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Eh, there was reasoning why the Prometheus was "posher" than the Nostro. The Nostro was literally a space lorry cargo-hauler. It's crew were mainly grease monkeys and a science officer. The Prometheus was a high tech science vessel paid for by literally the richest man alive.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Regrettable posted:

Same. The fact that they went with the original style for Alien: Isolation was what really sold me on it. It looks gorgeous.

Yeah this too. Alien does have this nice chunky feel. The Nostromo feels like a utility ship, not some state of the art slick thing made to look good for the cameras.

EDIT: \/ of course. I mean even look at Elite: Dangerous where there's a mix of utilitarian vessels and the liners that look like something from Star Trek TNG.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jan 8, 2017

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Mokinokaro posted:

Yeah this too. Alien does have this nice chunky feel. The Nostromo feels like a utility ship, not some state of the art slick thing made to look good for the cameras.

Like I said, theres room for both! And both of those movies were made by the same dude! It's how you can have future car tesla killers and a 1984 honda civic on the same road!

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

ManofManyAliases posted:

It's a fancy cutscene. Don't get your panties twisted.

That's not a "cut scene" you retarded dimwit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Anyone just catch that wtfosaurus reads the thread when he responded to me?