Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

Cowslips Warren posted:

Creepy guys who whine, in public, how they can't get laid. Loudly. And not drunk.

Sober creepy incel guys, is there a word for that other than Nice Guy?

I know a dude like that, though mine is extra-fun because he's an alcoholic. Out there sitting by the bar getting shitfaced while complaining that no-one wants to gently caress him, like A) maybe if you actually talked to people like a human girls would take an interest; B) maybe do something about your beer gut and your hairline receding so far its in the next loving time zone champ, how about that C) stop being hung up on that one girl who was nice to you in high school you're loving 30 get over it (this dude straight up went to loving finland to try to find his 'perfect scandanavian wife' because the girl he crushed on in HS was Finnish but she'd had sex and thus was 'tainted goods'). The horrid loving gremlin's also been banned from at least three bars for throwing things at couples daring to show affection to each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Hairline or gut are pretty irrelevant at that point.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
Where in god's holy name are you guys finding these people? I feel like I'm fairly social and I never see these types out in reality. Maybe my bar is too divey for them or something? I really do think I'd punch someone like that directly in the neck and be done with it.

Today my peeve is that I play beer league hockey and guys cannot stop commenting on how weird that is. Not the guys I play with, other guys. The ones that can't fathom that A GIRL! Gasp! would play a relatively violent sport. Co-ed at that! And they always call it "adorable". Same dipshits also make fun of me for being a welder. "Ah how cute! She can do boy things!" gently caress you dickless, meet me in the parking lot.

fizzymercury has a new favorite as of 12:53 on Jan 8, 2017

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I'm just picturing you as Rosie the Riveter now - symbol of the working woman, also someone you do not want to mess with as she clearly could kick someone's rear end if necessary.

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014
I'm just picturing you as Bluehair the Tumblrina now - symbol of STDH.txt, also someone you do not want to upset on Twitter because she has at least 200 followers.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
Sigh.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

Disgusting Coward posted:

I'm just picturing you as Bluehair the Tumblrina now - symbol of STDH.txt, also someone you do not want to upset on Twitter because she has at least 200 followers.

I'm just picturing you as a fucko

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Disgusting Coward posted:

The username is really fitting here.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
For what it's worth, before DC ruined things I was trying to be complementary. :(

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
noooope

fizzymercury has a new favorite as of 16:46 on Jan 8, 2017

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

fun update/edit: so the dudes downstairs seem to have a stereo system and were playing music really loud. my husband went down and asked about it and he said the dude seemed apologetic and said they'd try to keep it down and soundproof stuff. and I'm like... I guess? :confused: I mean it's better than getting pissy at us lol

e2: I'll believe it when it happens because they're playing music louder now. neato

e3: my peeve is that people think they can do stuff in their apartments without considering other people. there are plenty of things I don't do anymore because I want to be considerate to the people around me. things like listening to music loud, or working on my metal jewelry, or whatever. I have headphones, I visit my parents' place to make that kind of jewelry, etc. so I don't know. my hypervigilance/anxiety makes me the weird one, I suppose.

also

InediblePenguin posted:

I'm just picturing you as a fucko

snoo has a new favorite as of 19:26 on Jan 8, 2017

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

I have developed some cell phone peeves. I only just got a smart phone two years ago or so, and I really like it! It's useful and does a lot of neat stuff. It also pisses me off.

Firstly, the SD card seems to get unseated from time to time, where the phone won't recognize it for awhile. Usually restarting it fixes the problem, but even if the problem resolves itself, any programs on the SD card that I pinned to the home screen get removed, so I have to find those programs again and pin them again... bah. Pointless busywork.

Then there are the times when restarting the phone doesn't fix the problem. Twice now I've had to completely reformat the SD card because the phone corrupted it or something. I also replaced it once. Why, phone, do you keep eating your SD card? Stop it! And another annoying thing about the SD card! The thing is formatted to work as internal memory. Fine and dandy. 64 gigs of space to download poo poo, whee! Except the phone refuses to download poo poo to the SD card, instead insisting on using the tiny-rear end internal storage. I can move apps to the SD card after the fact, but only some give me the capability to move them. And forget it if a large app has an update! Even if the app itself is stored on the SD card, nooo we have to download this to the internal storage. I'm looking directly at you, Pokemon Go!

What's the point of treating the SD card like internal storage if the phone doesn't... just act like it has internal storage + SD card worth of memory, and not distinguish between the two? Effectively what I have is an SD card that can only be used in the phone and just kinda sits there and looks pretty?

I realize my woes might be due to my phone getting a bit long in the tooth... but this relates to my other peeve regarding phones. The market for middle-of-the-road bargain phones has completely dried up, at least in my country. It seems everyone else wants the complete opposite things out of their phone than I do. I would prefer my phone to be smaller and more efficient, and last longer on a charge. But no, phones keep getting bigger and bigger and the battery life gets crappier and crappier. And the whole consumer paradigm for them just pisses me off. Yes, I totally want to spend $600 on a new phone every single year. Wtf people?!

It wouldn't be so bad if I could just import a cheap phone from China or something and say "gently caress you" to those kinds of predatory practices, except my country decided it had to be a special snowflake and use a different cell network than the rest of the world.

I'm almost more pissed off that I actually like the phone and find it useful, or else I could go back to a $20 flippy phone and not give a gently caress. But I don't want to, because I like having a smart phone. BAH.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
Why do designers keep ruining perfectly good dresses and shirts by putting a giant hole on the shoulder/upper arm. Now it's too breezy to wear in cool weather, and has too much sleeve to wear in hot weather. Congratulations, you've made a useless dress.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

The Snoo posted:

my peeve is that people think they can do stuff in their apartments without considering other people. there are plenty of things I don't do anymore because I want to be considerate to the people around me. things like listening to music loud, or working on my metal jewelry, or whatever. I have headphones, I visit my parents' place to make that kind of jewelry, etc. so I don't know. my hypervigilance/anxiety makes me the weird one, I suppose.
You can listen to loud music in your own home during the day. If you're they're doing it at night then they're being arseholes, but otherwise it is you that's the weird one.

Silver Falcon posted:

Except the phone refuses to download poo poo to the SD card, instead insisting on using the tiny-rear end internal storage. I can move apps to the SD card after the fact, but only some give me the capability to move them. And forget it if a large app has an update! Even if the app itself is stored on the SD card, nooo we have to download this to the internal storage.
This is my number one problem with smartphones/tablets. It makes no sense and it's super annoying. And sometimes you have to do dumb stuff like uninstall app A in order to install updates to app B and then reinstall app A because there's actually room for both of them it just takes more room to install updates and it can't use any of the space on the SD card for that because apparently smartphones are designed by goddamn loving morons.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Tiggum posted:

You can listen to loud music in your own home during the day. If you're they're doing it at night then they're being arseholes, but otherwise it is you that's the weird one.

The thing is, it ceases to just be "in your own home" when it invades the homes of those around you. If walls are vibrating and I can't hear myself think in my own home, because you're blasting your subwoofer in yours, then yes, you're an rear end in a top hat. It doesn't matter what time it is, misery is misery.

Those people are all the same, too: inconsiderate in their every action, not just playing music loudly. Spitting right in front of people, littering, trashing community spaces (e.g. leaving the shared barbecue area full of used paper plates and beer bottles), garbage in the recycle bins as The Snoo experienced. It's never just the music.

fizzymercy posted:

Edit: Guy just asked me to turn down my TV. I don't own one? I'm starting to think he's trying to make friends with me by being weird.

Are there any other neighbors connected to your place, or is it just yours and theirs? The location of sound through walls, especially bass, can be difficult to determine. Could be they've misidentified you as the source?

Che Delilas has a new favorite as of 09:06 on Jan 9, 2017

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
If you want peace and quiet, buy/rent a house instead of an apartment. If you want to be as loud as you want with it much less likely to piss people off, buy/rent a house instead of an apartment. In an ideal world people would follow the rules (unwritten as well as written) in apartments, but whenever you put a group of people together somebody in the group is going to be an inconsiderate rear end in a top hat.

That said, even in a suburb house there are ways your neighbors can/will piss you off. Moving into the woods with miles between you and the next neighbor isn't even a solution since your property will just become a dumping ground for unwanted pets as my dad found out shortly after doing this. The best you can do is find a balance between number/degree of inconsiderate rear end in a top hat neighbors and convenience. I feel like if you find a big city apartment with considerate neighbors that never bother you, hold on to it for dear life and hope none of them die before you (or move out).

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
These people are still hammer drilling at the most bizarre hours. But the thing is, they only do it for a literal second. My guess is they're trying to be quiet but it's a loving hammer drill so it's going to be loud! So at 3 am I'll be up to use the bathroom or maybe I'm having trouble sleeping or whatever, and there's this one-second BZZZZZT. I also heard it in the middle of the day today. If you want to drill some holes, just do it all at once and be done with it!

Also one of my cats: shut up! You are so annoying. Meowing is cute but yours aren't. They're MOOOOOOOOOOO MRROOOOOOOOO. ARRRROOOOOOO. And they're only super early in the morning outside my door, and all the tips about this don't work. Ignoring used to work but then he decided to do it anyways. Goddamnit.

I'm cranky.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Thin Privilege posted:

Also one of my cats: shut up! You are so annoying. Meowing is cute but yours aren't. They're MOOOOOOOOOOO MRROOOOOOOOO. ARRRROOOOOOO. And they're only super early in the morning outside my door, and all the tips about this don't work. Ignoring used to work but then he decided to do it anyways. Goddamnit.

I still feel a little bad about how hard I laughed the time one of my co-workers (who had just gotten a kitten) asked me how you train them for bedtime.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Looking for parts for any car built before 1980 will always have HOT ROD RAT ROD OLD SCHOOL in the eBay or Craigslist description, no matter how minor the part may be.

"One tone control radio knob for 1979 GM Delco AM radio HOT ROD RAT ROD OLD SCHOOL. Broken and rusty, may not actually be for Delco radios or cars. $49.99 BUY IT NOW L@@K"

Not every thing is a hot rod or a rat rod, for gently caress's sake. Sometimes an old car is just an old car.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

If you're buying a used car in FL from Craigslist and want to get hosed up, play the Craigslist Air Conditioning Description Drinking Game!

Take a drink every time a car's AC is described specifically as "ice cold." It's never enough to say that it is working, it must always say "AC works great, ice cold!"

I swear to god literally every ad I read contained this phrase. It's like it was a requirement put there by Craigslist. I started to think it was code for meth or something.

Do northern states have the same thing with their car ads and heat? "Fiery hot!"

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.
People who don't answer their texts. Or when they do it's not until days later. Especially when I have a question or concern. I'm not talking about people who get back in a timely manner normally but don't answer because they're busy or wanting to disconnect. I mean people who perpetually do this. And I know they get my texts because every time I'm with them I see them on their phones or with their phones all the time. Maybe it's me. If it is, it's especially sad when family does this. In fact, I was mentioning this peeve to my cousin about his half-sister, who's a friend of mine. "She only gets back to people when she wants. It's annoying." Then he turns around and does it himself!

Death Zebra
May 14, 2014

People leaving the bus windows open in winter. The is particularly stupid as the air flow doesn't even affect the seat next to it instead blowing directly onto people on the other side of the bus.

Chef Bourgeoisie
Oct 9, 2016

by Reene
Our upstairs neighbors are quiet for the most part, barring the occasional loud movie night on the weekends. The problem I have with them is that they leave their dog at home for hours on end and the dog clearly has separation issues. He cries/howls for almost the entire time that they're gone, and as far as I can tell, only stops to fall asleep. Poor pup :(

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

Tiggum posted:

Plenty of people work at night, though.

yeah I eat rear end posted:

If you want peace and quiet, buy/rent a house instead of an apartment.

Plenty of people can't afford this option, though.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Noctone posted:

Plenty of people can't afford this option, though.

My point wasn't really that people should do it, just that inconsiderate and loud neighbors are an unfortunately unavoidable part of renting an apartment. It was also more directed at the noise-creating people - if you want to do something that bothers most people, the responsibility should be on you to go to greater lengths to avoid bothering people. And like I said in the part of the post you didn't include, even houses aren't without their problems, but generally they are significantly reduced and you'll never be woken up by people stomping on your ceiling or whatever. Noise problems are one of those things that are terrible to live with/through but unfortunately there's just not much you can do beyond earplugs/white noise unless you have one of the few landlords that exist that care enough about enforcing the noise rules in the lease on a tenant in otherwise good standing.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

The Snoo posted:

fun update/edit: so the dudes downstairs seem to have a stereo system and were playing music really loud. my husband went down and asked about it and he said the dude seemed apologetic and said they'd try to keep it down and soundproof stuff. and I'm like... I guess? :confused: I mean it's better than getting pissy at us lol

e2: I'll believe it when it happens because they're playing music louder now. neato

e3: my peeve is that people think they can do stuff in their apartments without considering other people. there are plenty of things I don't do anymore because I want to be considerate to the people around me. things like listening to music loud, or working on my metal jewelry, or whatever. I have headphones, I visit my parents' place to make that kind of jewelry, etc. so I don't know. my hypervigilance/anxiety makes me the weird one, I suppose.

Having lived in a place where my upstairs neighbours were constantly stomping on the floor and just generally being loud, I try to be as quiet as possible for the sake of those below me. However, with each of your posts, I become a little bit quieter. I'm waiting for the day when the cops come to my door due to concerns that I may be dead.

Peeve: Covers of songs which add no originality or creativity. For example, compare Bruce Springsteen's "Blinded By The Light" with Mannfred Mann's.
Now compare The Beatles' "Come Together" with Aerosmith's.
I couldn't find the original Beatles' version on youtube, but it doesn't matter because they sound EXACTLY THE SAME.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The Youtube Trending page should be renamed to Youtube Paid Ads

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
My YouTube peeve is that if you watch anything game related, Design chats, trailers, whatever, your recommended list will inevitably be infected with "EPIC TAKEDOWN OF ANITA SARKEESIAN#!! Take that feminists!"

I think I watched Feminist Frequency like twice ever. But for some reason YouTube really wants me to know that Anita is stupid bad wrong thinking for liberal cucks.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Razorwired posted:

My YouTube peeve is that if you watch anything game related, Design chats, trailers, whatever, your recommended list will inevitably be infected with "EPIC TAKEDOWN OF ANITA SARKEESIAN#!! Take that feminists!"

You might find this helpful:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jN0REjUCGlE

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/hbombs-youtube-censorship/djhicpapmcmjabcmkdecglggplpnmkid

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Recommendations show me a lot about a person. I was watching someone talk about something he was watching on YouTube and his recommendations were full of MGTOW poo poo.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

:cripes:

if they plan on using that here, I'm going to scream

fun fact: the last tenant would grill in that same spot, less than 5 feet from the wooden apartment balconies.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ how do they manage to be worse than the last guy???

at least we might be able to move at the end of our lease!!

related peeve: the management company like... never cleans the balconies. I want to do it myself but it's a bit too cold now. when it rains, all the algae and stuff gets really slippery.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
Stop complaining to us (or don't, you might get a lot of good advice?) and start taking pictures to show your landlord. If they don't act, then go to court and ask for damages and legal fees. This is seriously ridiculous and I live above a guy that brought me homemade wine and a basket of "home cured meats".

fake edit: closet cured ham has a definite moldy funk that any foodie would vomit at.

real edit: where do you live that this keeps happening? Cause even in lawless Houston Texas that grill alone would get me a new unit and some better neighbors if I whined even a little bit. I don't complain about the guy downstairs cause he's obviously just mentally ill, but you have a real claim here. Again. Second time, same place. That seems relentlessly against tenant agreements.

fizzymercury has a new favorite as of 17:46 on Jan 15, 2017

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
We have this one security guard who likes to round up all the random crap he finds on the ground outside our building and then give it to the front desk. Like, no, ew. I'm not touching the disgusting crusty beanie you found in the gutter, stop trying to hand it to me like it's a football, just throw it away.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

fizzymercy posted:

Stop complaining to us (or don't, you might get a lot of good advice?) and start taking pictures to show your landlord. If they don't act, then go to court and ask for damages and legal fees. This is seriously ridiculous and I live above a guy that brought me homemade wine and a basket of "home cured meats".

fake edit: closet cured ham has a definite moldy funk that any foodie would vomit at.

real edit: where do you live that this keeps happening? Cause even in lawless Houston Texas that grill alone would get me a new unit and some better neighbors if I whined even a little bit. I don't complain about the guy downstairs cause he's obviously just mentally ill, but you have a real claim here. Again. Second time, same place. That seems relentlessly against tenant agreements.

we had pictures of the last tenant's grill/fire (several different times) along with the logs I made of the loud music, and it took the first half of our year here for them to finally evict him. we were reporting stuff from the very beginning, and it was tedious and unpleasant.

so if we're able to move at the end of our lease, and we won't know until march, I don't know if it's worthwhile to do all of that again.

we kept getting the whole run around when we'd call the property manager's office and they'd say 'call the police' and the police would say 'talk to your landlord' for months. the landlord/customer service acting like their hands are tied when it's their own property and their own lease that this dude was violating in several ways.

I've considered court and stuff like withholding rent, but we don't have the financial freedom to gently caress around with that, and none of us can drive. so we feel kinda trapped.

we live in central maryland and in, like, the 'poor' apartments. for this area, anyway. I don't think anyone here really cares. I'm just amazed they managed to rent the unit to people who are arguably worse than before.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
call the fire marshall about the grill, the fire marshall generally actually gives a gently caress about whether the idiots in his/her area get themselves firemurdered through their own stupidity even if the idiots live in a poor people house

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

InediblePenguin posted:

call the fire marshall about the grill, the fire marshall generally actually gives a gently caress about whether the idiots in his/her area get themselves firemurdered through their own stupidity even if the idiots live in a poor people house

👌 I will definitely do this if they start grilling by the building. the fire code says they shouldn't keep the grill anywhere near the building (and most people in the other buildings around here actually follow this rule so idk) but they haven't used it yet. I don't even think it was there yesterday lol

e: they have a long-rear end green garden hose and a bin of gardening tools down there, too. there aren't outside water faucets anywhere. what??

snoo has a new favorite as of 20:34 on Jan 15, 2017

timefly
Apr 29, 2008

My dad has to lend me money cause my disability was under review, and I don't get paid til the 3rd. He sent it the day before I ran out of food but refuses to wire it so I have to wait 4 business days for popmoney. Then, there's MLK day, so unless bank holidays don't count for online banking I'm going to have to wait until Tuesday. And no one else can help :negative: (Does anyone know if online banking happens tomorrow?)

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.
This is super minor compared to no money or lovely neighbours but whatever. People who send a relatively short email and then end with an apology for sending a long email. Dude, it was two paragraphs, calm the gently caress down. I am more than capable of reading a couple of hundred words about whatever without freaking the gently caress out. Maybe if you sent me a 12 page rambling screed about nothing I would be kinda annoyed but it's email. Email is not twitter, it's okay to elaborate and include details about whatever. But so many people include this 'sorry this email is so long' sort of poo poo, where did it come from? It's so strange.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

timefly posted:

My dad has to lend me money cause my disability was under review, and I don't get paid til the 3rd. He sent it the day before I ran out of food but refuses to wire it so I have to wait 4 business days for popmoney. Then, there's MLK day, so unless bank holidays don't count for online banking I'm going to have to wait until Tuesday. And no one else can help :negative: (Does anyone know if online banking happens tomorrow?)

(Assuming you're in the US) no, nothing bank-related is gonna happen tomorrow. Sorry :/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

timefly
Apr 29, 2008

Aw crap. Well if it doesn't come in Tuesday I'm super screwed cause I have to see the doctor and pick up my meds. I'll have to have my brother drive it over Tuesday morning cause I used the last of our gas trying to sell stuff, none of which they wanted LOL ugh