Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Shageletic posted:

Thank god for new blood.

This is appalling. How could they defile Vapirella's iconic look like that? There is hardly any cleavage at all!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

TBH this is, at best, a lateral move.

Do we need an action movies thread? I feel like we need an action movies thread. But I've also felt like we need a Movie Fight thread, and that's never materialized either.

There was the Manhunter vs Red Dragon movie fight thread and it saw moderate traffic. I think it's a cool format

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Brother Entropy posted:

no ff7 is when square sold out by stabbing their best friend nintendo in the back -- something someone out there in 2017 probably still believes

The best was all the poo poo idiot fans gave Square for releasing Final Fantasy on the 360 in addition to the PS3. Because they dropped $599.99 on a PS3 on launch day because FFXIII was announced for it even though it was obviously not going to come out on anything for several years. Square somehow "betrayed"them by releasing the game on the filthy American game console and not exclusively for their chosen glorious Japanese system they dropped $600 on.

It's also funny because if you really had to pick a point where Square sold out it was right after Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within went over like a lead balloon. After they closed down the super expensive high tech animation studio they set up in Hawaii just because the director liked Hawaii they announced in their end of year financial report or whatever that from now on they were putting all their eggs in the Final Fantasy VII basket with tons of spin off games and action figures and stuff and they've done that ever since, even with them being bought by and becoming SquareEnix and then acquiring Eidos. You saw the pattern repeat itself too, Final Fantasy XIV was a horrible game and a huge embarrassment that took them three years to actually turn into a playable and eventually decent game after it was released, then a couple of years later oh hey look a Final Fantasy VII remake.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

TBH this is, at best, a lateral move.

Do we need an action movies thread? I feel like we need an action movies thread. But I've also felt like we need a Movie Fight thread, and that's never materialized either.

Don't ask me. I've started like half a dozen orphaned threads in this sub-forum with like two or three responses (what happened to that Speed Racer thread anyway?).

Grendels Dad posted:

This is appalling. How could they defile Vapirella's iconic look like that? There is hardly any cleavage at all!

Well you see a G-string makes me her a better fighter because of better freedom of motion

EDIT: Something something cleavage window distraction

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Shageletic posted:

Well you see a G-string makes me her a better fighter because of better freedom of motion

EDIT: Something something cleavage window distraction

Vampirella is a space vampire, right? There are no bras in space.

Also, it's hardly a window anymore.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Grendels Dad posted:

Vampirella is a space vampire, right? There are no bras in space.

Also, it's hardly a window anymore.

Think she was based off the lady from Lifeforce (a glorious, glorious movie) so that checks out I guess (cause she never wore any clothes in that movie, also shot lazers out of her hands or something).

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Neo Rasa posted:

The best was all the poo poo idiot fans gave Square for releasing Final Fantasy on the 360 in addition to the PS3. Because they dropped $599.99 on a PS3 on launch day because FFXIII was announced for it even though it was obviously not going to come out on anything for several years. Square somehow "betrayed"them by releasing the game on the filthy American game console and not exclusively for their chosen glorious Japanese system they dropped $600 on.

Pff, just $ 600? That is  l i t t l e m o n e y

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Grendels Dad posted:

Honestly, I just always thought she was part of some series of pin-up pics. I had no idea she had an actual comic with words in it and characterization beyond check out these tits.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Shageletic posted:

Think she was based off the lady from Lifeforce (a glorious, glorious movie) so that checks out I guess (cause she never wore any clothes in that movie, also shot lazers out of her hands or something).

Looking her up on Wiki now, I had no idea (but am also not surprised to learn) that she was invented by Forrest J Ackerman.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Gyges posted:

Honestly, I just always thought she was part of some series of pin-up pics. I had no idea she had an actual comic with words in it and characterization beyond check out these tits.

I mean it's kind of arguable either way

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Another cryptic Legion promo, reminding you that it premiers a week before Valentines Day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CA6NhwZvK0c

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Jan 7, 2017

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

The MSJ posted:

Another cryptic Legion promo, reminding you that it premiers a week before Valentines Day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CA6NhwZvK0c

So we all agreed its some sort of Rogue/Captain Marvel situation right?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Mierenneuker posted:

Pff, just $ 600? That is  l i t t l e m o n e y

I can't believe I got this joke

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Do we have a 'knock-off' thread to talk about films that are those strange, cheap and sometimes great knock-offs of more popular films? It seems like for every Alien, James Bond, The Thing, Terminator, Indiana Jones or Rambo, we've got a dozen (at least) films that are essentially those, with just a different twist.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 203 days!

Schwarzwald posted:

If I was going to pick a game as the point in time where Squaresoft "sold out," it wouldn't be the one that begins with the heroes committing industrial sabotage and ends with prayer staving off the apocalypse.

But it had 3D and ads on MTV and abandoned the noble Nintento for the corrupt Sony!

What they were reacting to is the realization that there never was a Squaresoft that hadn't "sold out." The irony of the fact that the actual game they were reacting to would be almost too subversive to release ten years later just makes this more delicious.

Now retrospect we have this game where you join Bin Laden in attempting to prevent Bush from framing him for 9/11, fail, and then go on to save the world from the anti-Christ and it's pretty awesome.

e: also Aeris is basically the last Emperor of Japan (a sacred bloodline which exists to mediate between the living and the spirits of the Earth) living in poverty and is killed by the anti-Christ but reappears in spirit (SMG would say as the Holy Spirit which is literally what happens since she is casting the spell "Holy") after his defeat.

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jan 7, 2017

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
In an alternate universe, you played FF7 on your Nintendo 64. The game is a massive box containing 300 cartridges.

In that universe, Batman vs. Superman is the highest grossing movie of 2016.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jan 7, 2017

Sassbot Alpha
Sep 2, 2011
Fallen Rib

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

In an alternate universe, you played FF7 on your Nintendo 64. The game is a massive box containing 300 cartridges.

Sounds like my kinda universe.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Sassbot Alpha posted:

Sounds like my kinda universe.

What he failed to mention is that, in that universe, Batman v Superman is directed by Joss Whedon.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

If the Avengers is directed by Snyder though, I'm fully on board with the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Gorn Myson posted:

If the Avengers is directed by Snyder though, I'm fully on board with the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

After Iron Man, Iron Man v Thor: Avengeance Begins, and David Ayer's Thunderbolts weren't as profitable as Marvel hoped, they put the Wachowskis in charge of the MCU. Mostly because of the runaway success of their Captain Harlock adaptation.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I dunno, I probably would've enjoyed that Thor

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

So that's it, huh, we're some kinda.... thunderbolts?

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Cap: "You've crossed the line - I can't accept that."
Thor: "Tell that to Stark's snapped neck."

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 203 days!

I'm thinking a massive supercart two or three times larger than the N64 itself. Retail cost: $300.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

And who is the 45th President of the United States in this universe?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

dublish posted:

The concept of pathos.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

dublish posted:

It's still Trump.

There is no escape

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Burkion posted:

It's still Trump.

There is no escape

Yeah, but in that universe Trump is a milquetoast liberal whose wife was president a decade ago.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Unsourced still of the Justice League

https://twitter.com/TheNerdRagePod/status/818152587434295296

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Cyborg looks awesome - like a Transformer meets RoboCop.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
I hope he turns into stuff (a tank, a helicopter etc.) when he gets really amped up like in my favorite Titans adaption

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

WENTZ WAGON NUI posted:

I hope he turns into stuff (a tank, a helicopter etc.) when he gets really amped up like in my favorite Titans adaption

I hope he sings a song about how much he likes pie.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

There are only five of them.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Codependent Poster posted:

Superman is dead (but he might return :ssh:) and they are keeping it a secret who they casted as Snapper Carr.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

I'm sure J'onn is just intangible in the photo.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

There's a solid chance that Superman will not actually appear alive in the first part, and that that's gonna be the cliffhanger point.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Will there be two movies? I thought there was only going to be one movie.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Jimbot posted:

Will there be two movies? I thought there was only going to be one movie.

Yeah, although seems the second one has been pushed back to make space for the Batman and Gotham City Sirens. Snyder isn't even officially attached to it and he will take a break from superhero movies after wrapping JL to work on The Last Photograph according to THR

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

There were originally going to be "Justice League Part One" and "Justice League Part Two", but now it's "Justice League" and an untitled movie that will feature the Justice League.

Same thing that happened with Avengers: Infinite War Parts One and Two, but only one of those changes had the nerd commentariat gloating over how their respective studios had completely lost faith in the series and were about to collapse etc etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I

Hate the armor plates. pajama batman for life

• Locked thread