Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DancinBrud
Jul 23, 2007

Not to mention that Yoda's out of the training game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

twistedmentat posted:

I bet the guy who created Wraith Squadron wants too much money for them to use it so they're doing totally not Wraith Squadron.

And that this point, I'd not be surprised if Talon Karrde or any popular EU characters show up in some form.

I think that's...unlikely, since Aaron Allston is no longer with us (and Lucasfilm would presumably have the rights to the characters anyway).

I think Thrawn might be the exception that proves the rule - I can't think of any other Legends character other than Darth Bane who appeared in NuCanon. I think they figured they might as well start over rather than have fans negatively comparing their adaptions to what came before.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Yoda's also ugly af in Rebels, and the less we have to look at him the better.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

DancinBrud posted:

Not to mention that Yoda's out of the training game.

"Just when out, thought I was, pull me back in they do!"

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

twistedmentat posted:

I bet the guy who created Wraith Squadron wants too much money for them to use it so they're doing totally not Wraith Squadron.

Beyond being commandos on occasion they're not actually much like Wraith Squadron, so they're really not doing them. I mean I guess Chopper is like Squeaky, but only in terms of vague personality and certainly not in terms of role or actions.

They're not a group of wash outs on their last chance, they're not all snubfighters jockeys with good secondary skills, they don't have an attrition rate, they don't undertaken "dark" missions the Rebellion doesn't really sanction and frankly they don't have Piggy. And even if they were similar to Wraith Squadron, any Wraith team that doesn't include Piggy isn't a Wraith team worth having. Garrick and a few others are pretty indispensable to really, but no Piggy, no deal.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
To be fair, the show's cast callsigns I felt was more a nod (though Hera and Chopper, dislike him though I do, would fit in really well in the X-Wing books), it was the detail of Wedge's new group from the books that made me go "Hey, wait a minute..."

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jan 6, 2017

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

tsob posted:

they don't have an attrition rate
Have you SEEN how many A-Wing pilots they go through on a seemingly weekly basis?

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:

VolticSurge posted:

Have you SEEN how many A-Wing pilots they go through on a seemingly weekly basis?

Supposedly it takes great skill and nuance to pilot an A-Wing, and yet...

When is Phoenix Cell gonna get the hotshot X-Wings anyways?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

VolticSurge posted:

Those A-Wing pilots are not actually part of the core cast. They even have their own distinct squad: Phoenix Squad. Which the core cast aren't part of either.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Hera's Phoenix Lead.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
To be fair, she's given that position because she's way better than the fighter jockeys. If they're that bad in A-wings, how bad would they be in a B-wing?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Their callsign is Spectre because the ships are the Ghost and the Phantom.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

McTimmy posted:

Hera's Phoenix Lead.

The commander is an officer position that can give orders to the squad but isn't actually part of the squad by my understanding. Hence why Phoenix squad includes a Phoenix 1/Phoenix Lead, who gives orders on a day to day basis and in the field. Wedge did both for Wraith Squadron, but Hera shares duty with Sato and doesn't fly with the squad as such, only beside them.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

that's not entirely true, Hera and Sabine have flown A-Wings, so presumably they were acting as Phoenix lead during those missions

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

There's no new Phoenix 1 after the guy dies.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Yvonmukluk posted:

I think that's...unlikely, since Aaron Allston is no longer with us (and Lucasfilm would presumably have the rights to the characters anyway).

I think Thrawn might be the exception that proves the rule - I can't think of any other Legends character other than Darth Bane who appeared in NuCanon. I think they figured they might as well start over rather than have fans negatively comparing their adaptions to what came before.

Quinlon Vos

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

MrJacobs posted:

Quinlon Vos

He was mentioned in Revenge of the Sith, which I think makes him generally canon.
Asaj Ventress, maybe?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
The Clone Ward TV series is canon and he was in that.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Covok posted:

The Clone Ward TV series is canon and he was in that.

He was also one of the main characters of the book Dark Disciple.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

MrJacobs posted:

Quinlon Vos

But he's in a nucanon thing from before the split. Since Disney aquire star wars we've only had than and some tech.
(And some super throwaway stuff in novels apparently)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

OhFunny posted:

He was also one of the main characters of the book Dark Disciple.

Which is an adaptation of finished scripts for Clone Wars, I believe.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

So I guess (new episode spoilers)the whole "Saw getting his lungs hosed up on Geonosian pesticide" story beat (which is hinted at in the R1 visual guide) happens... later, then?

Cross-Section fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jan 7, 2017

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Yeah, these two episodes were not how I excepted them to go down at all. Everybody got a different idea from the trailers.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Pretty sure that's the same temple where Luminara Unduli was kidnapped in TCW but if not, it certainly looks similar.

Also Saw and Rex having a Schwarzenegger and Weathers moment :3:

The second episode isn't up for download on the place I get them from yet, so have to wait for part two.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008
I'm pretty sure they threw in a prequel trilogy meme reference when Sabine complains about the sand getting everywhere.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

These were excellent.

BOGO LOAD
Jul 1, 2004

"You know I always had trouble really chewing the fat with my pops. Just listen to him..."
Spoilers for those who haven't seen the episode yet and haven't read the Darth Vader Comic, but am I correct to assume that Click Clack and the Queen egg he's carrying end up being this:

BOGO LOAD fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Jan 8, 2017

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Yvonmukluk posted:

There is some weirdness with rights with stuff like the Daleks and Specter, so it's not out of the realm of possibility. Though I had no idea that Allston passed, that sucks.

I don't think Bane was a Legends character, I'm sure Darth Bane was credited with the Rule of Two earlier than the books.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Tacopocalypse posted:

Spoilers for those who haven't seen the episode yet and haven't read the Darth Vader Comic, but am I correct to assume that Click Clack and the Queen egg he's carrying end up being this:

Nope, IIRC, that queen was alive during The Clone Wars.

Baron von der Loon
Feb 12, 2009

Awesome!

twistedmentat posted:

I don't think Bane was a Legends character, I'm sure Darth Bane was credited with the Rule of Two earlier than the books.
Aye, he was mentioned in the Phantom Menace novelisation

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Nope, IIRC, that queen was alive during The Clone Wars.

https://twitter.com/pablohidalgo/status/817940115687292929

Sounds like some kind of genetic memory passed from one generation of queen to the next?

Rebels Recon for this episode:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NM7pTSxJKyY

Goes over the (re)introduction of Saw and features some footage of Chopper on the Rogue One set.

Teek fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Jan 8, 2017

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Sabine fixed her jetpack and loving wrecked face with it :haw:, and holy poo poo that was an actual woman Imperial Officer, not a governor or a moff, but an officer commanding a starship for the first time ever

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

NTRabbit posted:

Sabine fixed her jetpack and loving wrecked face with it :haw:, and holy poo poo that was an actual woman Imperial Officer, not a governor or a moff, but an officer commanding a starship for the first time ever

I thought it might have been Rae Sloane, but the credits said otherwise.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Rae Sloan is competent and was already captain of a star destroyer before the events of Rebels (when she met Kanan and Hera in 11BBY) she might even be a vice admiral by now, would be neat to have a mention of her sometime though I suppose, or unspoken cameo in some imperial navy meeting.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

She was an Admiral when she appeared in the Kanan comic (the framing story of which takes place around the time of Rebels' 1st season).

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Cross-Section posted:

She was an Admiral when she appeared in the Kanan comic (the framing story of which takes place around the time of Rebels' 1st season).

Yeah, I remembered that too, afterwards. Got a little mixed up with timelines. It would be pretty cool to see her on the show, though.

DancinBrud
Jul 23, 2007

I thought the same thing at first. Would be cool to see her show up, especially after that comics tease, although there's not much of a market for competent imperials beyond Thrawn and Tarkin on this show!

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Rae Sloane rules and I want her to show up in Rebels. :allears:

She becomes a Grand Admiral and is one of the main Imperial leaders at Jakku.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
I got a new TV over the holidays and the show looks . . . much worse? I'm guessing it's just the higher resolution and larger screen but did the post-holiday episodes look worse to anyone else?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancinBrud
Jul 23, 2007

Did you make sure to turn your TV's motion smoothing off? That makes everything look worse, yet many new TVs seem to have it turned on by default.

• Locked thread