Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Kim & Kim didnt really work for me. I wanted to like it but eh the trans point seemed a little forced. Bounty was released at the same time/setting/vibe and did what they were doing way better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

Teenage Fansub posted:

Really, check out Huck.

I just read Huck a few days ago and loved it, so I'm seconding this recommendation.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

...oh wow, you're actually right. It's not in print at all anymore, despite not being all that old, and never even got a TPB. Given that a quick glance at Diamond's figures from the relevant time tells me the first issue sold 10k copies and the second didn't even chart (with 850-ish copies being the cutoff), I have a feeling I'm hardly the only one who thinks it might be literally the worst piece of sequential art ever written.

My evidence for him going "wait what, I kinda hosed up there didn't I" is mostly how he's been getting really angry at the grimdarkness of comic stuff lately, but... coming from Millar that's loving rich, so I dunno.

e: okay, apparently Huck is part of said "getting really angry at grimdarkness" trend, and I'm... morbidly curious.

I enjoyed Huck but Huck is basically Millar trying to make a superman book that is happy and isn't really anything to stand out.

RhymesWithTendon
Oct 12, 2000

site posted:

So I read Kim & Kim today and would like some more series with trans characters. Do any good ones exist??

Blind Azathoth posted:

There are also trans characters in The Wicked + The Divine, and I think maybe in Bitch Planet -- not caught up with that.
Yep, Bitch Planet does feature multiple transgender characters in the ensemble cast as of Issue #8. If you're not familiar with the series, the gist of it is that it's about a dystopian future prison where women are incarcerated for offenses that defy the patriarchy, ranging from legitimate violence to trifles like "seduction" and "aesthetic offenses" (I previously marked out about the series at greater length in this post if you're interested). The way trans women fit into this hyper-patriarchal universe is that they're also imprisoned for the alleged crime of "gender deception" in a special facility. The main character of the series has a trans sister in said facility, and is sympathetic to the trans inmates, but other characters are more hostile to them and serve as an allegory for TERFs. In addition to the story content, this series is also worth picking up in single issues (physically or digitally) for the letters section, which often includes good discussion of LGTBQ+ issues and representation.

Saga also features a trans character starting with Issue #31, who coincidentally is also introduced as a prisoner, but in her case she's a prisoner of war and is imprisoned by an alien society that's at least progressive enough to keep her in the same facility as its cisgender female POWs. Her gender identity hasn't really been used as a plot point so far, just as part of the tapestry of the series's frankness towards sex and gender issues.

Incidentally, I personally think Saga and Bitch Planet are arguably the two best comics in print right now, and are worth checking out for other reasons besides trans representation.

DC is currently publishing the miniseries Deadman: Dark Mansion of Forbidden Love, which so far seems like a pretty good gothic horror/romance story in the vein of The Sandman, and it happens to feature a supporting character who identifies as non-binary and uses "they"/"them" pronouns. As a side note, this character also has the distinction of being the only person who Deadman, a ghost superhero, can't possess, and I can see how this might have the potential to become problematic later if the character's gender identity is somehow revealed to be the reason for that (there are two issues out right now but I've so far only read the first one, so it's possible that this has been dealt with already). I doubt this will be the case, though, because the way the character was introduced seems pretty fair and sensitive.

Speaking of Sandman, that series also features a minor transgender character in the fifth volume. If you haven't already read it, it's an excellent series and is pretty much considered required reading for comics fans, but the way it handles its one trans character is somewhat controversial in a way that's hard to get into without revealing major plot points for the story that features her. If you don't mind spoilers: Wanda, a trans woman, is disqualified from a pagan moon ritual the heroines perform that can only involve women, because from the perspective of the moon, which is spoken of as a goddess in this story, "gender isn't something you can pick and choose as far as gods are concerned" and "it's chromosomes as much as anything". Wanda, to her credit, responds, "Well, that's something the gods can take and stuff up their sacred recta. I know what I am.". This may come across to some as the narrative itself enforcing a rigid link between gender and biological sex in a way that seems pretty harsh, but the volume does also feature an introduction by Samuel R. Delany where he makes some good points about how mythical forces in fantasy stories tend to reinforce very old dominant ideologies, so the fact that an ancient pagan force doesn't exactly have progressive views on gender identity should not be confused with a judgment on the part of the author. At the end of the story, Wanda and several other characters are killed horribly, and Wanda's best friend Barbie attends her funeral, where Wanda's more conservative family has buried her under her male name. After the funeral is over and the rest of the mourners have left, Barbie is alone at the grave and defies Wanda's family by crossing out Wanda's male name with lipstick and writing in "Wanda". It's sad to see a character treated this way, but the sadness is intentional and accurately reflects how trans people are often treated in society, particularly at the time the story was published, and I think it ultimately comes off as sympathetic and touching.

At this point I'm probably veering very far away from what you were looking for, but for the sake of discussion I'll also add that another controversial story was a recent one in Batgirl, in which an ostensibly female villain was unmasked and revealed to be a character who had previously been established as a man. You can read about that storyline in more detail here. Some readers felt this dragged up ugly stereotypes about transgender identity as an act of deception and that Batgirl's reaction to this revelation was insensitive, though in fairness to the creators, they did go out of their way to apologize and set things right with the fans after the backlash. It's debatable whether this character really qualifies as transgender, or a transvestite, or more likely just someone who committed crimes dressed in drag because it was fun and made it harder to discern his/her identity. Having read the whole storyline back when it was being published, I can recall leaning more towards the latter explanation, and speaking as someone who has a trans woman in his immediately family, I personally didn't find anything about the story offensive, but obviously I can only speak for myself here.

As is mentioned in that article, an earlier run on Batgirl by Gail Simone also introduced a trans character as Batgirl's roommate, but I haven't read that run so I can't comment on it.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Dang, a bunch more than i was expecting that's cool thanks guys!

And big ups to Connellingus good post *thumbs up emoji*

Skeematic
Jan 18, 2003

Yikes.
I heard alot of the recent Millar series were good, so I was kind of looking forward to Reborn. Unfortunately it really suffers from coming out at a time when Seven to Eternity does as well and Reborn just pales in comparison.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

site posted:

Dang, a bunch more than i was expecting that's cool thanks guys!

And big ups to Connellingus good post *thumbs up emoji*

Adding to the list, one of the main supporting characters in Shutter is trans.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
I don't remember Cindy from Hard Time getting a ton of focus, but for a side character in a later Steve Gerber book nobody read, she was pretty memorable.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

There's a comic called (Re)Assignment starting this week about a hitman who gets forced sexual reassignment surgery as revenge. I'm sure it's real classy.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Teenage Fansub posted:

There's a comic called (Re)Assignment starting this week about a hitman who gets forced sexual reassignment surgery as revenge. I'm sure it's real classy.

I thought this sounded familiar: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/(Re)_Assignment

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Connellingus posted:

Saga also features a trans character starting with Issue #31, who coincidentally is also introduced as a prisoner, but in her case she's a prisoner of war and is imprisoned by an alien society that's at least progressive enough to keep her in the same facility as its cisgender female POWs. Her gender identity hasn't really been used as a plot point so far, just as part of the tapestry of the series's frankness towards sex and gender issues.

Her identity as a pre-op transgender is pretty on the nose as an allegorical connection to Hazel, as they're both crossing forbidden binary social constructs, and it's very clearly demonstrated that that's the reason she gets involved. IDK if that counts as "plot point" or not.

I'd also argue that the series is less "frank" towards sex and gender issues and more recently just trying to be gonzo shocking dragon sperm! and whatever her name is was more about keeping with that shocking trend and the actual connection I'm talking about above felt more like a "how do we justify a full frontal full page shower scene" than respectful character development. I haven't read past the trade she gets introduced in so maybe she grows as a character into something more, but imho pretty much every character introduced after the time jump to when Hazel's mom gets a drug habit and is keeping a low profile by being an actor on space television has been weak as gently caress and the series has been sliding downhill. It still has me hopeful it'll improve, but I'm a sucker like that since I've been reading TWD forever.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Anyone else gently caress with Southern Cross? I don't think it is great but it's certainly entertaining. I am making my way through Lake Of Fire right now and it's good. Don't care for the alien designs though.

RhymesWithTendon
Oct 12, 2000

Sigma-X posted:

Her identity as a pre-op transgender is pretty on the nose as an allegorical connection to Hazel, as they're both crossing forbidden binary social constructs, and it's very clearly demonstrated that that's the reason she gets involved. IDK if that counts as "plot point" or not.
Sure, I'd lump that in more with "theme" than "plot", but admittedly I wasn't thinking too hard about the thematic connection, and you're right, that's pretty spot-on.

I can see where you're coming from as far as it seeming like they keep trying to one-up themselves with shocking sexual stuff -- most of the time I think it works because it's in a context where it's at least funny, but at other times it can get kind of ridiculous ("We're going to eat your taaaaaaaints!"). We'll have to agree to disagree about the overall quality of the last few story arcs. In any long-running series there's a certain level of intrigue in the beginning when you don't know as much about the characters and setting, which is hard to match in later stories, but for my money I think that the friction caused by Alana's drug addiction as well as Marko's vow against violence (and particularly what happens with regard to the latter in the most recent issue) have provided some of the better emotional moments in the series.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.

Endless Mike posted:

CBR has a preview of Animosity: The Rise #1, if you want a bunch of panels of animals being assholes.
http://www.cbr.com/animosity-the-rise-1-exclusive-preview/

It's like someone going a bad impression of Garth Ennis. Is this meant to be serious?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

OldMemes posted:

Is this meant to be serious?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I looked ahead at upcoming indie comics since i figured I should be more proactive about it instead of finding out about new stuff the week it starts. Saw a new Greg Rucka series called The Old Guard that looks cool, and I might go for Ray Fawkes' Underwinter series that's starting in March.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

For books coming up, I'm pumped for Charles Soule 's Curse Words.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

OldMemes posted:

It's like someone going a bad impression of Garth Ennis. Is this meant to be serious?

It looks like Bennett is hanging an entire issue or two off of the somewhat-well-known "OH HOLY gently caress" montage sequence from the first issue of Animosity, since it's running at about the same ratio: some animals are angry at humans, some are still pretty fond of them (or are actively in love with them), and some have other agendas entirely.

The book's sort of half-serious, with most of the comedy coming from how sentient animals are just as likely to be goddamn idiots as humans are, like a humpback whale picking a weird moment to make Pokemon jokes.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Caught up with The Fix.

:ohdear:

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Teenage Fansub posted:

For books coming up, I'm pumped for Charles Soule 's Curse Words.

This does look pretty rad. I'll pick it up next week.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Charles Soule sure writes a lot of books. Especially for a practicing attorney.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Wasn't he doing, like seven ongoings at once when he was writing for everyone?

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
Maybe he's like Tyler Durden and comic book writing is how he copes with crippling insomnia.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Connellingus posted:

Sure, I'd lump that in more with "theme" than "plot", but admittedly I wasn't thinking too hard about the thematic connection, and you're right, that's pretty spot-on.

I can see where you're coming from as far as it seeming like they keep trying to one-up themselves with shocking sexual stuff -- most of the time I think it works because it's in a context where it's at least funny, but at other times it can get kind of ridiculous ("We're going to eat your taaaaaaaints!"). We'll have to agree to disagree about the overall quality of the last few story arcs. In any long-running series there's a certain level of intrigue in the beginning when you don't know as much about the characters and setting, which is hard to match in later stories, but for my money I think that the friction caused by Alana's drug addiction as well as Marko's vow against violence (and particularly what happens with regard to the latter in the most recent issue) have provided some of the better emotional moments in the series.

Really my major issue with the comic is that the premise started as an exploration of the notion of family but then also dragon cum. There's a lot of interesting, different explorations of relationships, but then they decided that's optional and so we get High As gently caress girl. The whole thing is like a steak garnished with dollops of novelty green ketchup and a smear of strawberry jam.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Synthbuttrange posted:

Caught up with The Fix.

:ohdear:

I've been having my GF read this story as it came out. I told her she has to wait an issue or two before she can resume it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Wanderer posted:

It looks like Bennett is hanging an entire issue or two off of the somewhat-well-known "OH HOLY gently caress" montage sequence from the first issue of Animosity, since it's running at about the same ratio: some animals are angry at humans, some are still pretty fond of them (or are actively in love with them), and some have other agendas entirely.

The book's sort of half-serious, with most of the comedy coming from how sentient animals are just as likely to be goddamn idiots as humans are, like a humpback whale picking a weird moment to make Pokemon jokes.

To be fair, that montage in the first issue was about as long as that preview, so who really know if the rest of the book will be the same.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

On the topic of trans characters, it's not indie, but this is where the discussion was going on...
https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/01/11/meet-batmans-new-trans-character-dr-victoria-october-todays-detective-comics/
Detective Comics just introduced a seemingly interesting trans woman supporting character that will probably move into the new Batwoman series.

The article seems to be trying pretty hard to shitstir, but I haven't read the issue yet.
She already seems more interesting than Batgirl's old roommate.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Jan 11, 2017

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Teenage Fansub posted:

On the topic of trans characters, it's not indie, but this is where the discussion was going on...
https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/01/11/meet-batmans-new-trans-character-dr-victoria-october-todays-detective-comics/
Detective Comics just introduced a seemingly interesting trans woman supporting character that will probably move into the new Batwoman series.

The article seems to be trying pretty hard to shitstir, but I haven't read the issue yet.

Apparently "pupal" and "deadname" are secret code words here or something? IDGI

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
anyone checked out God Country?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Teenage Fansub posted:

Oh dang there was an article on ca about this the other day and i forgot to read it thanks got reminding me, i might actually have to read detective now

Sigma-X posted:

I'm still new at this but pupal = life before coming to terms/transition, and deadname = the name you had before you transition and give yourself a new name

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Sigma-X posted:

Deadname is their birth name, basically. I idea about pupal.

Robot Danger
Mar 18, 2012
Oh man, I hope a new Black Monday Murders comes out soon. It's looking like it may be a while though.

I'm loving this weird rear end story.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

emdash posted:

Came to ask the same thing.

Finding reliable reviews for indie stuff is tough. Everyone is so positive as to seem like shills.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Picked up Superf*ckers because it's on sale and I like James Kol's usual stuff, but this was a bit more... eugh. Well the premise is SUPERTEAM but filled with juvenile self-centered asses, and it just gets grating after awhile.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
I apologise if people have been talking about AD After Death already and I missed it but I just picked up the first two and I'm really liking it. The story seems Nolan-esque but where I personally find Christopher Nolan pretentious, this story is engaging and sad. Very curious as to how it ends.

What's the most recommended Scott Snyder writing? I've never read anything else by him.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

My favorite thing is the first run of American Vampire. It almost completely lost me in the 'second season', but that doesn't diminish the first lot.

His run in Detective Comics before he got the main Batman series is definitely his best superhero work. N52 Batman is a fun ride too, but it never topped what's in the 'Black Mirror' trade.

edit: He just started a new story in All-Star Batman #6, which was really strong. You can easily hop on that without catching up on the rest of his Bat comics.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Jan 15, 2017

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

My favorite horror book of Snyder's was Severed. It's so loving unsettling. I don't think I've read anything from him that tops that creepiness. American Vampire is great but yes, the second season shouldn't have happened. Though even in the first season it didn't match the weirdness shivers I got from Severed.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

emdash posted:

it's interesting in concept, but I don't know if I'll stick with it unless it improves. The writing felt really disjointed and rushed, but there was some decent world building and characterization.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Cloks posted:

What's the most recommended Scott Snyder writing? I've never read anything else by him.
I enjoyed The Wake quite a bit. It starts off as a horror book, but winds up more of an adventure by the end. Not earth shatteringly good, but it is good solid comics. Also, it's only 10 issues, and collected in a single TPB, so not a huge investment.

Soonmot posted:

it's interesting in concept, but I don't know if I'll stick with it unless it improves. The writing felt really disjointed and rushed, but there was some decent world building and characterization.

If you read the synopsis, nothing really happens that you didn't already know was coming, but I thought it was a pretty solid first issue that sets the stage for what's to come. The opening dialog/accent felt off, but that could be because I know people who actually speak like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

New Aftershock comic from John Layman (Chew) and :siren:Sam Kieth (The Maxx):siren: in April

Eleanor & The Egret
https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/01/17/john-layman-sam-kieth-create-eleanor-egret-aftershock-comics/

quote:

Eleanor & The Egret is a new comic from Aftershock Comics for April 5th, by John Layman and Sam Kieth described as “A slightly surreal tale of an art thief and her sidekick, a talking egret who gets just a bit bigger after each successful caper, as they embark on a escalating series of daring thefts of world-famous paintings, and dodge pursuers in an increasingly weirdly dangerous game of cat-and-mouse.”

The pair worked together previously on Aliens: Inhuman Condition for Dark Horse Comics back in 2012 but are best known for their respective comics Chew and The Maxx. And Chew just concluded….

As for joining AfterShock, Layman says “As far as I’m concerned, Mike Marts is the very best editor in comics, and a great guy too, so I’m always looking for opportunities to work with him. When he landed at AfterShock I knew very quickly it would be a company that would produce excellent comics –and they are!—so I jumped at the chance to work with them. I’m proud to be part of the AfterShock family, and grateful they are getting behind Sam and I for this very unique and off-kilter book. I would describe Eleanor & the Egret as a fable, and a surrealist romance, but it’s probably more easily described as something NOT easily describable. It’s a melding of two unique voices to comics. It’s also just an excuse for me to give Sam cool stuff to draw, and, in that, he’s exceeding all expectations—some of the pages he’s turning in are absolutely breathtaking.”