Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Turbinosamente posted:

I think I last saw Ballz when I watched Frankomatic do a quick LP of it and also today when I picked up and looked at the SNES cart in a game shop. I put it back and got King of the Monsters on genesis instead along with a bunch of other crap.

I don't get it, why wouldn't you want Ballz? You had Ballz right in your hands!

May as well just edit this in.

It's a New Age Retro CHristmas Part 4: Football and Beer

Ugh. Let's get this poo poo over with. JOhn Elway's Quarterback is one of the worst sports games on the NES and has to be, hands down, the worst football game on ths system. Yes I've played 10-yard fight. I already owna loose copy of this game but got this one in a lot of 3 sealed games that presented me with a bit of a problem: It came with Golgo 13 (and another game I'll get to later), which is an issue as I loving love Golgo 13 on the NES, ut seeing as I already knwo plenty about the game, have played it in the not too distant past, and it was the most valuable game in the lot, I felt I had to sell it. Long story short, that [pro-rated Elway and the other game down to about $10/ea.

Realism my rear end. There's only 9 players on the field for each team. There are no player numbers and they all look alike. There are, I poo poo you not, only two possible colors for your team no mater who you pick. Dallas? Red or Blue (and gently caress you for wanting to be the Cowboys anyway). PHilly? red or blue. Denver? Red or blue. Whether you're red or blue depends on if you're the first or second player. There are no player lames listed anywhere in the game, not even Elway's. I should add that my Soemthing Aeful career mostly consists of shitposting in GDTs in TFF these days, and I've noticed that people there seem to hate on Elway for some reason. I don't, for the most part. Buit I wouldn't speak out against it ebcause gently caress this game.

Contents include game, manual, Nintendo Power ad/subscription card, registration card, little plsatic baggie, dust sleeve, poster and a partridge in a pear tree.

poo poo, Seawhawks/Lions is already back from the half?
Oh heay, the poster is for Super Off Road. Well, that's a plus.

[timg]http://i.imgur.com/ijcGXuU.jpg[/itmg]

Game shiny.

but it's poo poo. YOu can drop most sports games into either one of two categories; simulation or arcade. JE's QB doesn't do either well. There's no NFL license, no stats, no names, only a handful of plays. As metnioned above, there aren't even the standard number of players on the field. The players that are there move slow. The sound effects are dull and muted. The music is non-existent except for a horn that blares a cavalry charge tone at random. The players look and move like soulless robots. Ever play MULE? Know what a Flapper is? Imagine a football game starrring those.

Worth it?: Not even at $10. That other game better be good.

Tomorrow: the other game.

Quiet Feet fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Jan 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Oh me oh my Quiet Feet, perhaps you need a snack or a glass of water to absorb some of that beer? Good thing I couldn't come up with with a witty retort about Ballz anyways it probably would have been something about not being able to handle it.

Funnily enough I had a friend who always wanted John Elway's Quarterback and always talked it up to me and how she was hunting for it. Her enthusiasm led me to believe it was at least decent. Upon reflection I think it was entirely nostalgia driven because that was the football game she played as a kid therefore she wanted and eventually got it again. But what do I know, the only sports games I care about are NHL 94 and 96 on genesis.

_____!
May 2, 2004

Quiet Feet is making me regret not picking up one of those sealed best seller F-Zero carts from Amazon a couple years back. The closest I've come is taking some shrink wrap off of a thrift store copy of Solstice that wasn't sealed. If there is ever a New England retro game goon meet I'll make sure to scowl at you from a distance.

Also I do not need another copy of Astyanax, one is enough!. I wouldn't mind trying the arcade version though! Mostly I remember Jaleco from the Fortified Zone series since there were maps in the first issue of Nintendo Power I owned.:3: I probably shouldn't have said I wasn't a huge fan of Jaleco, I meant that as they aren't my favorite but they are good.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Here's a tip for anyone else with one of these medical PVMs, they were hooked up to systems that could control picture settings independently of the front knobs by RS-232 so that doctors or whoever could mess with contrast and brightness without actually going up to the monitor and doing it, through whatever interface their equipment had. Do a factory reset in the service menu (find the service manual of your model) to zero everything out, otherwise the front knobs are making adjustments on the internal settings.

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC
How big is too big when it comes to commercial CRT? I've been playing on a 14" PVM but in my new apartment I'll have room for a bigger beast. But, do they start to look like poo poo above a certain size? Can't imagine they look too sharp at the larger sizes. 32" okay or should I go smaller?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
How sturdy is your floor?

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Monopthalmus posted:

How big is too big when it comes to commercial CRT? I've been playing on a 14" PVM but in my new apartment I'll have room for a bigger beast. But, do they start to look like poo poo above a certain size? Can't imagine they look too sharp at the larger sizes. 32" okay or should I go smaller?

I wouldn't go above 29", I understand the ones larger than that are not as sharp. Good luck finding one though!

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC

d0s posted:

I wouldn't go above 29", I understand the ones larger than that are not as sharp. Good luck finding one though!

Most of the good ones around here seem to be like 36"+. There is a 27" KV-27FV300 about an hour from me, though. One of the best Trinitrons as I understand it.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Monopthalmus posted:

Most of the good ones around here seem to be like 36"+. There is a 27" KV-27FV300 about an hour from me, though. One of the best Trinitrons as I understand it.

I miss mine.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
If you can get a 32, that fine, as I love my Panasonic 32sl14j 32 inch tv. But 29 is probably better since it won't weight a ton. It a nice size when next to my 55 inch LCD tv.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Monopthalmus posted:

If you want your stuff to look really sharp you'll want to stay under 20 inches. But that's also annoying to deal with and its not like having a big screen is really bad. Especially if you're going to be sitting a decent way away from it.

Keep in mind that the largest CRT tvs that didn't use some sort of magnifier/mirror/projection system were like 44 inches, and CRTs above like 36 inches in general are rather rare as well as being extremely fuckin heavy. So 32 inch is in about the highest range you're even going to find around.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

_____! posted:

Also I do not need another copy of Astyanax, one is enough!. I wouldn't mind trying the arcade version though! Mostly I remember Jaleco from the Fortified Zone series since there were maps in the first issue of Nintendo Power I owned.:3: I probably shouldn't have said I wasn't a huge fan of Jaleco, I meant that as they aren't my favorite but they are good.

I think Jaleco was a second tier Famicom/NES developer who failed in the transition to the 16-bit era. Occasionally they stumbled onto something really good, but usually they muddled around with the "Well, this is okay, I guess," games.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Jaleco is kind of weird at least on the arcade side of things because they used ghost developers (sometimes quite good ones, sometimes awful) so often and never credited them so it's really hard to figure out what even is a Jaleco game.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

fishmech posted:

If you want your stuff to look really sharp you'll want to stay under 20 inches. But that's also annoying to deal with and its not like having a big screen is really bad. Especially if you're going to be sitting a decent way away from it.

Keep in mind that the largest CRT tvs that didn't use some sort of magnifier/mirror/projection system were like 44 inches, and CRTs above like 36 inches in general are rather rare as well as being extremely fuckin heavy. So 32 inch is in about the highest range you're even going to find around.

I got a big rear projection TV off the internet recently and it's one of the heaviest things I've ever carried.

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

d0s posted:

Jaleco is kind of weird at least on the arcade side of things because they used ghost developers (sometimes quite good ones, sometimes awful) so often and never credited them so it's really hard to figure out what even is a Jaleco game.

I'd like to know who did the Game Boy version of Avenging Spirit, since it's really charming. It could've been the arcade game's developer (an outfit with the amazing name of Crash Power Brain) but the credits suggest it could've been Tose or an internal Jaleco job.

melvinthemopboy3
Sep 29, 2008
Shameless plug, I'm selling off a bunch of my retro stuff in the hopes that I can use the funds to buy an Everdrive!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3804452

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Jaleco is sort of like a lesser Telenet in that they spread themselves too thin using a ton of small developers and have a ton of unfocused mediocre games instead of a smaller library of good ones because of it. They actually lasted a little longer though and published some interesting/odd stuff on the late PS1 and early PS2/XBox/Gamecube era. But they started that time period with super embarrassing poo poo like Nightcaster and Vampire Hunter D and even if they had been a renowned dev/publisher there was no way in hell they were going to recover from that. They were quickly reduced to doing a few lovely idol games and some quick classic re-releases before vanishing.

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

Neo Rasa posted:

Jaleco is sort of like a lesser Telenet in that they spread themselves too thin using a ton of small developers and have a ton of unfocused mediocre games instead of a smaller library of good ones because of it. They actually lasted a little longer though and published some interesting/odd stuff on the late PS1 and early PS2/XBox/Gamecube era. But they started that time period with super embarrassing poo poo like Nightcaster and Vampire Hunter D and even if they had been a renowned dev/publisher there was no way in hell they were going to recover from that. They were quickly reduced to doing a few lovely idol games and some quick classic re-releases before vanishing.
Are you implying Lowrider isn't a 21st century masterpiece?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Neo Rasa posted:

I actually kind of like Vampire Hunter D. It's not a good game, but it goes by really fast and it was kind of interesting to poke around the castle. Felt like a melee Resident Evil.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Elliotw2 posted:

Skyward Sword has some pretty noticeable dithering on the bloom and glow effects on the Wii U, it's perfectly normal.

A lot of Wii and PSP games used dithering and even sometimes low color depth to squeeze more performance out of the system.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWmfVP3zS98

Somewhere in this Extra Frames series Dan talks at length about dithering and mip-mapping. Nintendo are, for obvious reasons, the masters of it, and he thought Skyward Sword was the best example. I can't be arsed to watch back through 10 hours and figure out where it is though.

d0s posted:

It amuses me how cagy early developers were about their outsourcing, like they know the secret to where the nazi gold was buried or something.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

DalaranJ posted:

It amuses me how cagy early developers were about their outsourcing, like they know the secret to where the nazi gold was buried or something.

Didn't Nintendo threaten to revoke licenses in the NES days for it? I'm probably misremembering, but I could swear it was one of many piddly little things they'd try to gently caress up your access to selling legit NES titles in US/Europe over.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I haven't bought it yet but an officially-licensed Jaleco book came out in Japan recently and I think it's pretty upfront about which games were authentic Jaleco games and which ones were by NMK, UPL, Aicom, etc: https://www.amazon.co.jp/exec/obidos/ASIN/4408112038

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

DalaranJ posted:

I'm wondering if this is related to that Japanese industry habit of using pseudonyms for devs to keep them from being poached by other companies.

fishmech posted:

Didn't Nintendo threaten to revoke licenses in the NES days for it? I'm probably misremembering, but I could swear it was one of many piddly little things they'd try to gently caress up your access to selling legit NES titles in US/Europe over.

I'm probably wrong but I think Nintendo had a cap on releases so a company like LJN couldn't just flood the market with lovely games. This was to safeguard the brand against an Atari-like crash of confidence.

Ironically, this led to studios forming sub-brands (I think ULTRA games was Konami?) to get around it.

TheRedEye
Sep 10, 2003

WE HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR YOU!
That Jaleco multicart would be cool if it didn't use the same "launch-era NES black box design except worse" layout as every other retro video game product released in the last 20 years. Like, Jaleco had an aesthetic on the NES, and it looked cool. White backgrounds with blue text and stuff. Do that!

Monitor Burn
Nov 29, 2001
No clever to be found here

TheRedEye posted:

I do RGB (not component) so I do homebrew loader > Swiss > Game Boy Interpreter > RGB out on a PAL Gamecube, because only PAL supports RGB natively. It works because you're not ultimately spitting out a PAL signal, you're spitting out 240p.

Any recommendations on where to pick up a PAL gamecube in the US?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

TheRedEye posted:

That Jaleco multicart would be cool if it didn't use the same "launch-era NES black box design except worse" layout as every other retro video game product released in the last 20 years. Like, Jaleco had an aesthetic on the NES, and it looked cool. White backgrounds with blue text and stuff. Do that!

Really, any publisher that is going to go to the effort of putting out new multi-carts should at least offer a boutique package as an option; just dumping them on a trashy cart like this only devalues them further. (What's worse is the guy who owns and manages Jaleco's IP has a poo poo-ton of original art and other documents that would have made for a great package but I don't know that the licensor knew or cared enough to ask for any of it.)

The silver lining to releases like these is it shows these companies are approachable and that better companies could probably license these games for themselves without too much trouble, either to make new games with old IP or do their own re-releases or whatever.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

TheRedEye posted:

Real talk: if someone ever decides they want to do an SNK multicart for the NES and use their silver (or gold) with blue vertical stripes, that would own.

When that Jason/Friday the 13th SDCC figure came out and the box designer went full-LJN, THAT is completely my poo poo.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Jaleco's bread and butter was Bases Loaded and a bunch of playable but forgettable games. We can at least thank them for publishing Whomp Em, Totally Rad and Shatterhand. I have a soft spot for them because they produced some imaginative stuff, even if it wasn't all spectacular. :unsmith:

Turbinosamente posted:

Oh me oh my Quiet Feet, perhaps you need a snack or a glass of water to absorb some of that beer? Good thing I couldn't come up with with a witty retort about Ballz anyways it probably would have been something about not being able to handle it.

Funnily enough I had a friend who always wanted John Elway's Quarterback and always talked it up to me and how she was hunting for it. Her enthusiasm led me to believe it was at least decent. Upon reflection I think it was entirely nostalgia driven because that was the football game she played as a kid therefore she wanted and eventually got it again. But what do I know, the only sports games I care about are NHL 94 and 96 on genesis.

I eventually switched to whiskey! :shepface:

For the last few years I've been meaning to do a write-up on all the NES football games I've played. Not much interesting to say other than I think that if the Tecmo Bowl games did not exist, SNK's Touchdown Fever would be the fun, arcade-style football game everyone remembered playing. Not because it's as fun or well executed as TSB but it hits a lot of the same notes by being fast paced and focusing more on action than realism.

Anyway

It's a New Age Retro Christmas Part 5: Some Football, no Beer

In today's episode, we discuss Cybernoid!

A few months ago I won an auction for a lot that contained Golgo 13, Cybernoid and John Elway's Quarterback, all sealed. Golgo 13 would've been my favorite of the three had I kept it. I had two issues with this, which I think I've said but I'll reiterate. First, I already own a CIB copy and play it on occasion, so it's not like it'd be new to me and that's kind of defeating the point of this excercise. Second, I'm a stay-at-home dad and can't be too loose with my hobby money. So Golgo had to go go. :saddowns:

Stupid Giants, you were the only team I was confident could beat the Cowboys. :(

Game in baggie, manual, poster that wants to sell me stuff, registration card and ubiquitous Nintendo Power ad.

Acclaim liked to advertise on the backs of their manuals. I got one of these sets a year or two ago in a parts/repair lot and found that one of the controllers worked. It was a pretty underwhelming experience. You had to be close to the receiver and pointing the controller at it in a very specific way for it to function reliably.

Fabio!

I knew that JE's QB was trash but it was cheap. Cybernoid? I remember reading a review/guide in a gaming magazine I got way back in the day. It looked kinda neat. Nowadays I know it has a bad reputation (if people think of it at all) but I've never played it, so here we go!

Yeaaargh most of these games are not good. This does not bode well.

If I'm not back in 5 minutes, tell Gradius III I love it.

I'd always assumed this was a shooter and I guess you could call it that. You move from screen to screen, sometimes shooting enemies and sometimes trying to figure out how to move past hazards. It gets hard and a little bullshitty very quickly. From the first screen, you drop down into the second and should immediately veer left, and hug the wall and land on a ledge undearneath, because while you will have to continue down this shaft to progress to the next screen, there are enemies constantly moving up it. They mostly move straight up but if you get within a couple of inches they will veer suddenly and crash into you. Thing is, you descend very slowly and your shots only fire in the direction you're facing. Take a look at this.

At this point, I have to be fair and say that posting that video motivated me to bother reading the manual because I didn't even know there was music--it's off by default to allow the full range of sound effects, and you can turn it on by pausing and pressing A--and it made me wonder what else I'd missed. Apparently pressing select cycles through a selection of various special weapons you're equipped with and can activate by pressing B. Alright, that's helpful. Right off it makes getting past the pistons on screen 8 a hell of a lot more doable if I use the shield. There are still some issues. Sometimes if I fire at the big green blobs (this is their name in the manual by the way) with the normal blaster they will explode. Sometimes they don't and bombs are needed. Why? I have no idea. Sometimes turrets on the ground can be destroyed by gunfire. Sometimes they can't There are no sound effects or any other indications that your shots are having an effect on anything. Did I mention you're also on a timer? Two timers, in fact. There's a big timer in the northeast corner of the screen which I've yet to live to see the end of, and a 100-second timer on each screen that is not displayed. If you don't get past a screen in 100 seconds, tough, you're dead. It seems pointless when you're already on the clock.

They knew they were being assholes when they made this one. It starts you with NINE lives. Really. Cybernoid plays a little more like a puzzle game than a shooter. You're trying to find the best path to the next room more often than trying to blast waves of enemies. I guess I could see this being clever but the execution was sub-par. I feel a little guilty that I was ready to call this one terrible when really it's just sorta average. Cybernoid, you okay.

And then you go and do something like that. Geez, don't have to rub it in.

Worth it? At about $10, sure. I'll try this again, though I admit I don't know how much patience I'll have with it.

The games I went with were cheaper this year, partly because I had less money to do this with and partly because I was able to snag some lots and sell off one or two pieces to make some money back. Anyway, it definitely feels like the quality of titles isn't as good either. I'm still holding out some hope but nothing has really given me a tremendous amount of warm fuzzies yet. There's been stuff that's good for the price, but nothing I'd qualify as just flat out good. I did get some other nice used games though, so I can't complain. The Gradius III cart, for instance, was $6.

Tomorrow: I'm playing an animated scarecrow in a Ravenloft game online, but I'll drop a cheapy SNES title on y'all if I have time.

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo
Has anyone had an issue with their framemeister where the output has a weird pink tint to it? Also I'm not getting any sound. And I get HDCP errors when I try to connect in hdmi passthrough. is my FM borked?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

SnatchRabbit posted:

Has anyone had an issue with their framemeister where the output has a weird pink tint to it? Also I'm not getting any sound. And I get HDCP errors when I try to connect in hdmi passthrough. is my FM borked?

Uh, that's a telltale sign the HDMI port is hosed. Check them, the cables your using, etc..

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Uh, that's a telltale sign the HDMI port is hosed. Check them, the cables your using, etc..

I managed to set the FM to rgb out, fixed the colors. I changed to another hdmi port on the tv and it works fine. Weird. I still cant get audio out of the low latency hdmi port on my tv.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I haven't bought it yet but an officially-licensed Jaleco book came out in Japan recently and I think it's pretty upfront about which games were authentic Jaleco games and which ones were by NMK, UPL, Aicom, etc: https://www.amazon.co.jp/exec/obidos/ASIN/4408112038

That's pretty rad, I'm both a fan of some things I believe to be original Jaleco works (City Connection, Game Tengoku?) and the obvious NMK etc stuff so I kind of want this

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

What's a good way to fiddle with Amiga using emulation? Not just for games but I want to mess with DPaint.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
A shame that PS1 flashcart is haivng trouble due to drama, because I found my component cables I got for the PS2. Granted it one of those multiple system cables that also have a Wii (shame it not Gamecube) and Xbox Original cords.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

SnatchRabbit posted:

That happens at times with mine although I run mine through a matrix switch and it sometimes can't get EDID from my TV which causes it to be wonky. Unplugging and power cycling the switch usually sorts it out though.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 26 hours!
https://twitter.com/Voultar_Modshop/status/818177564841803778

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Housh posted:

What's a good way to fiddle with Amiga using emulation? Not just for games but I want to mess with DPaint.

Here's a guide I wrote for the retro computer thread, you start dpaint the same way just treat it as a game disk and boot from the disk image

d0s posted:

All you need to do is set the quickstart config to an A500 512/512. It says (most common) next to it. That's the setup you want to to play OCS/ECS games, which are the well known Amiga games. To play AGA games just choose an A1200 and the basic configuration. You seriously never need to mess with anything else, the quickstart does everything for you. You never need to get into using the Amiga OS or anything, the system boots directly from the game floppies. Pretend your .adf files are SNES carts or something, it's that simple. I think you're seeing the crazy amount of hardware poo poo and thinking that Amigas are really complicated to game on like DOS is but its actually really simple. There's one main configuration and that's the A500 with 512k chip ram+512k slow ram. 95% of the games you want to play will work with that, and there is no benefit to using other configurations.

EDIT:

Step 1

This is what you see when you start WinUAE. Set it up the way you see here and click Start.

Step 2

Now you get the A500 booted and it's asking for your disk. Middle click to untrap your mouse and right click the taskbar icon:

Choose df0: and select the game that you are licensed to use and have totally not pirated:

Step 3

After a bit of loading (watch the place with a greyed out "63" in this image to see disk activity) your game will appear. You may have to go through a crack screen first, usually you click your left mouse button to bypass these. If the game asks you to swap disks, use the same procedure as you did before, replacing the disk in the drive with the one the game requests.

Default controls use the number pad for directions and 0 and 5 as your single joystick button. This can be changed in the configuration screen.

E: You need the BIOS files from here (kickstart 1.3 in the amiga.zip file only) http://www.emuparadise.me/biosfiles/Amiga.zip

d0s fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Jan 9, 2017

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Jesus Christ :nms:

I love the capacitor and resistors floating in a wad of hot glue like a turd at a public pool

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 26 hours!

kirbysuperstar posted:

Jesus Christ :nms:

I love the capacitor and resistors floating in a wad of hot glue like a turd at a public pool

That's not hot glue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

That's not hot glue.

oh no

• Locked thread