Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was your favorite Titan from Titanfall 1?
gundam
megatron
that russian robot from pacific rim
goku
View Results

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Most enemies will just camp there. Usually if you go the other way, there will be resistance by not as much if you just stay at spawn.

Also, I feel that all the other weapons just suck instead of those being really good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

I agree, and you know a game is solid when a big complaint is not enough paid DLC

I'm confused as to the lack of customization. Prime titans are cool, there's enough camos as is, who cares about patches. I mean I'm surprise they don't even have custom DLC helmets, if anything

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me
I love to snipe in this game. The thing I've seen most people fail at is remembering to stay mobile and not just sit in one spot and to look behind you a few times. Situational awareness is the entire name of the game for almost any way you play a shooter.

Also never be scoped in unless you are taking a shot.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
On Crash Site I refuse to do anything but run around cloaked and melee people, becoming Predator makes that map a lot more fun. Shame outside of unlocking the Phase execution there's no progression regarding melee.

e: Also regarding this game's longevity I think it would be much higher if there were less Attrition matches where you dominate the enemy team as pilots and when they eventually get their Tones they suddenly become unstoppable death machines.

Geight fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Jan 8, 2017

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Geight posted:

On Crash Site I refuse to do anything but run around cloaked and melee people, becoming Predator makes that map a lot more fun. Shame outside of unlocking the Phase execution there's no progression regarding melee.

e: Also regarding this game's longevity I think it would be much higher if there were less Attrition matches where you dominate the enemy team as pilots and when they eventually get their Tones they suddenly become unstoppable death machines.

No way, between Titan comebacks and farming reapers at the end I've been able to save some games that looked utterly one sided for the first half. I feel the same way about Tone that I do about the Devotion; they've killed me plenty, I've killed them plenty, and I'm hardly invincible when i use either.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Yeah the trick against tone is if you have another Titan, any of them, even another tone,you just need to charge at them and be aggressive while strafing. If you rush past their shield, they'll likely die before getting to deploy another shield. Even if they run away you'll get to deal significant damage to their backs.

As a pilot? Sneak up on them I guess. Try to come from another direction they don't have their shield deployed on.

Magnus Condomus
Apr 23, 2010

Ineffiable posted:

Yeah the trick against tone is if you have another Titan, any of them, even another tone,you just need to charge at them and be aggressive while strafing. If you rush past their shield, they'll likely die before getting to deploy another shield. Even if they run away you'll get to deal significant damage to their backs.

As a pilot? Sneak up on them I guess. Try to come from another direction they don't have their shield deployed on.

Ronin is a pretty decent counter against Tone right now since the electric slash instantly kills Tone's utility shield thing, and dashing about is a good way to dodge both the 40 and the missles. Phase dash will take you right through a Salvo Core and into their face or behind them.

A Ronin paired with any other titan, and that enemy tone is done almost immediately if your buddy knows what they're doing.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

Magnus Condomus posted:

if your buddy knows what they're doing.

I found the flaw in your plan.

Since the alleged wave of Christmas newbies, instead of stomping enemy teams, I seem to be exclusively placed with people who have no idea what they're doing. Any PC EU goons lurking this thread, add me on Origin: theworstunicorn

Wazzit
Jul 16, 2004

Who wants to play video games?

Magnus Condomus posted:

A Ronin paired with any other titan, and that enemy tone is done almost immediately if your buddy knows what they're doing.

:getin:

http://i.imgur.com/trRkVgH.gifv

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
so today i discovered the devotion and ion

both are wonderful, wonderful things

though i actually think the irons on the devotion are better than anything else

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
Found another great post on reddit re: A-Wall/Devotion

quote:

phase shift is your friend here. Devotion + A-wall is indeed cancer, but more of a newb sort of cancer. They simply don't know better (yet), and they are only hindering their own progression in this game.

Literally what? How exactly is that hindering progression? I'm pretty sure I'm G8 and top 3 almost all the time for a reason.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

SpazmasterX posted:

Found another great post on reddit re: A-Wall/Devotion

Literally what? How exactly is that hindering progression? I'm pretty sure I'm G8 and top 3 almost all the time for a reason.
The only way that you'll be able to make your way all the way around the sphere grid to unlock Omnislash is to level up your skill using 'SMG' class weapons, dawg.

More than anything, I assume people just want to use variety and they'll assume that other people will do the same. So when it's just people running whatever is currently the overpowered flavor of the month, it becomes super tedious to people. Maybe it makes them feel like they have to run around with hard counters to annoying loadouts rather than running around with a loadout they actually want? Or it could just be that people like hyperbole and saying poo poo is cancerous.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

discworld is all I read posted:

The only way that you'll be able to make your way all the way around the sphere grid to unlock Omnislash is to level up your skill using 'SMG' class weapons, dawg.

More than anything, I assume people just want to use variety and they'll assume that other people will do the same. So when it's just people running whatever is currently the overpowered flavor of the month, it becomes super tedious to people. Maybe it makes them feel like they have to run around with hard counters to annoying loadouts rather than running around with a loadout they actually want? Or it could just be that people like hyperbole and saying poo poo is cancerous.

Literally the only place I see A-Walls and Devotions being used is Crash Site on Attrition, not counting me using it on every map ever because :iia:

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

The Iron Rose posted:

so today i discovered the devotion and ion

both are wonderful, wonderful things

though i actually think the irons on the devotion are better than anything else
I like the enhanced HCOG on it but the first sight is worse than the irons I think, obscures wayy too much of my view.

I really like the Double Take with irons too. :shobon:

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

SpazmasterX posted:

Literally the only place I see A-Walls and Devotions being used is Crash Site on Attrition, not counting me using it on every map ever because :iia:
It's a situation where people will see a gif of people one shotting people with a vortex blocker and they'll cry that they see everyone rolling with it and it's ruining the game, though this is more stuff that I see pop up on the titanfall reddit. Like, there are problems present and it sucks when they happen but some communities like to blow them massively out of proportion.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Magnus Condomus posted:

Ronin is a pretty decent counter against Tone right now since the electric slash instantly kills Tone's utility shield thing, and dashing about is a good way to dodge both the 40 and the missles. Phase dash will take you right through a Salvo Core and into their face or behind them.

I main tone a lot and I'll even admit that ronin is probably the strongest counter to a tone. Phase shift can actually lose a lock so if you got hit by the 40 twice, phase shift. Then the fact that it's the speediest of all the titans so it can close the distance and get in the face of the tone.

I try to play smart and stick next to a legion or scorch. Always have a buddy, in most game modes I don't even call my Titan until I know I have a partner to count on.

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest
in most game modes I call my titan in as soon as I get it because nothing rules like being the only guy in a titan and rolling around punching pilots in the head

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

How do you Legions know how to play this guy? I want to be good with him but I can't seem to get the motions down with playing him. He's got a surprising amount of stuff going on for how simple he looks and I'm mega poo poo at Legion.

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest
arguably moreso than any other titan, legion massively rewards situational awareness and can be incredibly punishing if you mess it up. knowing where enemy titans are and what engagement ranges youre likely to be facing are key to him, because running around a corner with the wrong gun mode set absolutely sucks, and his shield ability locks you in to your ADS speed which is incredibly slow. other than that it's just about getting a feel for which gun mode is more likely to be useful in each area of each map. there are some long lanes, for example the direct route between the two spawns on exoplanet, where you're going to generally want to be in long range mode, but then once you get to the end of that path most of the time you'll want to switch to cqb for going around the corner. you just need to work on your gut understanding of what gun mode you want in each zone

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
If you spawn at the top of Crash Site, use A-Wall and harvest points from the idiots who spawn below. If you spawn below, run to the left-side of the map and harvest all the grunts that spawn there.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Ineffiable posted:

Yeah, that's pretty much the way...but it's also exactly what Salvo Core is insurance against, too.

quite stretched out posted:

in most game modes I call my titan in as soon as I get it because nothing rules like being the only guy in a titan and rolling around punching pilots in the head

I've learned my lesson and always spawn in titan now.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Ah yes. Sneak up on tone.

*jumps on lovely dominant Titan type*
*Titan farts out electric gas*
*try to run away*
*get killed by auto aim cannon*

Even without smoke, trying to bolt off with a Tone battery is pretty difficult unless you have cloak.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Flipswitch posted:

How do you Legions know how to play this guy? I want to be good with him but I can't seem to get the motions down with playing him. He's got a surprising amount of stuff going on for how simple he looks and I'm mega poo poo at Legion.

Practice, practice, practice. You're a walking tank but you need to learn how to not walk into a meat grinder if you can avoid it. Eventually you'll get a feel for how much damage you can put out on each titan at the different ranges and from there its just developing your skills with power shots and effective shield use. Like never be the first one to pop your shield in a Legion vs Legion situation or never engage in a long range battle with a Northstar unless you have good cover and can really nail your power shots (or they're just a bad Northstar). And god help you if you run into Scorch in close quarters because you're probably hosed if they're any good.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Played Overwatch today for the first time since I started playing TF2. Oh my god, everything felt sooooo sloooowwww, like every character was moving through molasses. Titanfall forever.

Another thing that stood out in contrast is how Overwatch is much more rewarding of assists. "What? I get credit for a kill because I did 44% of the damage to that guy?" I do wish there was a little more of that in TF2.

I feel like I've hit a bit of plateau in terms of skill in TF2. I got a lot better over the first month or so, but lately I tend to perform about the same every match. And maybe it's because I'm literally old and slow but it seems like I lose 90% of any face-to-face encounters I have where both I and the enemy are mashing melee.

Imagined fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jan 9, 2017

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Yeah TF2 could definitely use assists, especially for Reapers

Overwatch and any other FPS definitely feels slow as hell after TF2. I keep trying to double jump

That said I'm a lot better at Lucious wall riding :frogbon:

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Yeah, that's pretty much the way...but it's also exactly what Salvo Core is insurance against, too.

I've learned my lesson and always spawn in titan now.

i think my personal record is killing someone 3 times and then killing their autotitan with a friend's help after its dome shield finally wore off

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Yeah TF2 could definitely use assists, especially for Reapers

Overwatch and any other FPS definitely feels slow as hell after TF2. I keep trying to double jump

That said I'm a lot better at Lucious wall riding :frogbon:

For titans too. Not much of a score guy but it fucks with you being able to level up your titans.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

Anidav posted:

Ah yes. Sneak up on tone.

*jumps on lovely dominant Titan type*
*Titan farts out electric gas*
*try to run away*
*get killed by auto aim cannon*

Even without smoke, trying to bolt off with a Tone battery is pretty difficult unless you have cloak.

I fuckin hate Tone too but I wanna make sure - You're running Low Profile on all your classes, right? Rodeoing becomes a lot less of a deadly prospect with that.

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

The irony in this video is palpable. Just look at his name! It couldn't have been a coincidence that he dropped his titan in the middle of all of my teams titans and then got immediately gangbanged in seconds!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCns8lgHh2g

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Geight posted:

I fuckin hate Tone too but I wanna make sure - You're running Low Profile on all your classes, right? Rodeoing becomes a lot less of a deadly prospect with that.

Yeah you get a bunch of custom class spots. Save some for modes that have titans and run stuff like low profile. In attrition especially, you just need to worry about running around and kill mooks and the occasional pilot you see.

I also try only to rodeo if there's a Titan that's already trying to attack one of my teams titans. Even two seconds of distraction before they pop the smoke is enough for you to pull out a battery.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

IMO this game does parkour way better than Mirror's Edge which is literally Parkour: The Game. Yeah we get double jumps but drat does movement in this game feel so much more satisfying than in either of the ME games.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Shout out to Wazzit for inviting me into a group today. Apologies for sucking and also not having an operational mic.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

blackguy32 posted:

For titans too. Not much of a score guy but it fucks with you being able to level up your titans.

Let me just slowly pick away at this reaper anddd someone else killed it

Captain Internet
Apr 20, 2005

:love: HOTLANTA :love:
IS WHERE YOUR HEART IS
If anything is going to kill TF2's playerbase, it's not going to be just the sweatiest of tryhards with A-Walls and devotions, it will be teams of just sopping wet try hards on turtle beaches, a-walls, tones, and no skill based matchmaking to stop them from rolling PUG's.

New players won't see the telltale signs of a pubstomp and quit immediately, they'll stick it out and think they are terrible at the game and quit.

Captain Internet fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Jan 9, 2017

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~
This video features Northstar executions and a team wipe. It's a good video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tq2fUcMZtU

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Absolute cocks running phase shift on every kit will kill Titanfall 2.

Dunno how you can even balance "heh nice try shooting at me, pilot CHAAAAOS CONTROOOOL"

*WAIT 2 SECONDS FOR HEALTH TO REGAN AND ONE HIT KILLS YOU WITH A HEMLOCK *

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Like you literally get punished for trying to shoot a good player with active phase

A. You waste bullets
B. They now know your general location
C. You don't really know theirs.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~
Phase shift leaves a sparkly trail as they move until about a second before they return. So you know where they won't be and where you should be.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

SpazmasterX posted:

This video features Northstar executions and a team wipe. It's a good video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tq2fUcMZtU

Is that a teabag at the end?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
I hate everything about the L-star, why the hell do I want to regen every weapon once?