Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Then like a month after myself and the only other IT guy quit the company went belly up because we were the glue holding that whole loving place together.
Oh well.

This is a post for the ages. And I thought my time as jack-of-all-IT-trades was out there. :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

The last time I got to set the policy it was first.last, with middle initial or nicknames to break times. I also threw in first initial+last, and last.first as aliases because why the hell not make it easier to reach your people ?

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
We had smiles@company.com :unsmith:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
CompuServe had it right: inscrutable auto generated usernames can offend no one.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Powered Descent posted:

This is a post for the ages. And I thought my time as jack-of-all-IT-trades was out there. :stare:

I'm not even going to go into the rabbit hole that is the 3rd IT employee. He is a very good friend of mine, and I love him dearly, but literally all he did all day, every day, was bitcoin poo poo, not company related work.
He was the sole reason we needed to add a dozen 20 amp circuits and the reason the electrical closet got so hot the landlord propped the door open and put one of those giant-fuckoff-vortex fans in the hallway pointing right at it.

In order to rectify the situation, electricians had to come out and do some poo poo to the closet. As fate would have it they came out at the same time we were doing a database migration and managed to trip the mains to the whole building.
From what I remember, we lost an entire shelf of HDDs (or at least enough to gently caress the whole raid array), the databases, 6 battery backups, and a PBX.

One of my fondest memories was how I learned that if all switches in a network are enabled with default spanning-tree settings, the switch with the lowest MAC address becomes the root switch:
There was some old as dirt Dell Powerconnect switch that he picked up at goodwill for $5 and plugged into the network which promptly brought the entire network to its knees.
Once we figured out that spanning tree was the problem and that it wasn't just a switch loop, then we had to figure out what was causing the problem and where it was...

Mind you this is in a place that had desktops hidden in the ceiling on top of the AC ducts. These linux boxes were for god knows what purpose, but they were networked.
Eventually we found all but one of these mystery machines. According to lansweeper the last rogue unit was some HP Pavilion Pentium D. I had a Ping -t going on it right up until the last day that I worked there.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
I just don't :psyduck: Did your bosses ever wonder why they needed 12 extra power lines? Did he even try hiding his buttcoin stuff? How was he employed one day past either of those things?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Aunt Beth posted:

We have 8-character usernames as a bunch of our legacy systems haven't been updated to handle anything more. They're up to 7 characters of last name and 1 of first initial. Sometimes results in amusing combinations, though we override conflicts and such manually. However we do first.last email addresses.
For usernames we just use the ID the person gets in the HR system, which is a 6-digit no-reuse sequential number.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
We use first five letters of company name + 2 digit number starting at 01 to break ties for our customer accounts. My favorites are BONER01 and GREAT69.

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka
I remember reading a story (from this thread it think) about it actually snowing inside a sever farm located in norther Canada or somewhere like that, but I can't find it anywhere. Does anyone here have a link?

moonsour
Feb 13, 2007

Ortowned
I didn't find snow, but I found rain clouds forming due to a faulty AC system.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2338503/Facebook-sever-taken-actual-cloud-rains-INSIDE-sever-room.html

Daily Mail, grain of salt, etc

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Collateral Damage posted:

For usernames we just use the ID the person gets in the HR system, which is a 6-digit no-reuse sequential number.
Our HR system is a mainframe-based COBOL suite from the 80's and uses too much of your SSN as part of the employee ID to make that a viable option. That system is on its way to be retired in July of this year, but we're stuck with this user naming convention. When I worked for IBM we used employee ID in some places and LDAP credentials in others <8-char mangling of your name>@country.ibm.com

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Weatherman posted:

I just don't :psyduck: Did your bosses ever wonder why they needed 12 extra power lines? Did he even try hiding his buttcoin stuff? How was he employed one day past either of those things?

If it's anything like the deal a friend of mine had, the bosses considered it an investment and were hoping for a magic payday

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

I once had a guy in my office who's name was phonetically pronounced "Joy Dickshit"

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?
The closest I ever saw was prickman@company.com

It was appropriate. Also he had been there for at least 10 years happily using that address. But I think the other helpdesk guy actually called him that over the phone once. Soon after he had a new address which included his middle initial.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

The Fool posted:

If it's anything like the deal a friend of mine had, the bosses considered it an investment and were hoping for a magic payday

Pretty much this. We didn't pay for power, it was included with the lease. He and the boss colluded to keep knowledge of it from the CEO, with promise of payouts that never surfaced.
He hid a good amount of things though. Like the storage closet where we were supposed to... ya know, STORE things, was full of miners. Floor to ceiling.
There were empty cubicles where he'd have dozens of computers with video cards mining away (all belonged to the company). A broom closet that was 130 degrees.
The tops of the server racks were full of rackmount miners, each one needed it's own 20A circuit. Shelves in the server room were full of miners, all the poo poo that was supposed to be on the shelves was piled on the floor. Even piles of laptops in our office mining new alt-coins. If it could power on, it was mining coins.

Our boss was literally oblivious to almost everything because he never did anything. Great for actually getting things accomplished, not so great for poo poo like this.
When he did find out he was pissed and there was a bunch of fallout and arguing. Eventually he did get fired for completely unrelated reasons, but still managed to negotiate keeping all his miners there. Which sucked because he was always bugging me or my coworker to babysit them or fix them for him.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

managed to negotiate keeping all his miners there.

Wat.

I've fantasized about doing something like that. Being the sole IT admin for a smaller school district and just running a scheduled task on everything after hours to mine bitcoin. I'd never actually do it because that's retarded but it's a really interesting thought. I doubt it would even be worth it today but 5 years ago it may have been.

mewse
May 2, 2006

If you mine bitcoin on company equipment where I work you will probably get fired.

If it's discovered in the VPN logs that you were logging in from home to manage your miners and hide it from the rest of the team, nobody will even feel bad about it.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003
Re: Naming

We just implemented a new user ID/password system that ties directly into the national Online-ID database. This means that people are now identified by their full legal name in AD/Exchange/Whatever and use their national ID to log into our systems. Why is this so great?

• Username/password is the national ID. If you're on our internal network just the username/password is fine. If you're coming in through one of the gateways you use your national ID two-factor auth. Used to share your login with coworkers when they "needed to do something"? Huge drop in that sort of foolishness, and a huge rise in requests for "real" access. Forgot your password? Take a trip to nearest municipal service center, ID yourself, and have it reset.
  • No more "I want my name in Outlook to read "Kitty" because that's what everyone calls me!". If you want to be called Kitty then get a name change. We take the data straight from the national citizens database.
  • Users don't forget their passwords during vacations. (well, if they do it's not our problem)
  • Passwords don't expire. No more storm of helpdesk calls after Christmas/Easter/Summer-/Autumn-/Winter vacations.
  • When the Salary department removes someone from payroll the national ID is automatically updated and their account is closed (well, disabled until we come up with a final plan). Yes, there's a story about someone who got paid for four months after getting fired,before his department head actually read his salary report one month and figured out he never actually told HR to fire the guy in the IT systems too.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

So your government (Denmark?) provide federation services for your AD?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

This reminds me when I worked at a company where your email address was your first initial and last name @company. I happened to work with an Anette Hooker and a Theresa Watts.

My company does that too. Haven't seen a funny name though

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
I once walked someone through creating an email account for Karen Hunt and spent like two minutes debating if I should say something or not.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

A Pinball Wizard posted:

I once walked someone through creating an email account for Karen Hunt and spent like two minutes debating if I should say something or not.

Discretion is the better part of valor. :eng101:

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

A Pinball Wizard posted:

Sometimes we get a humourous customer code to generate, if anyone complains I just state there's a naming policy in place for this and maybe they should be a bit more mature about it instead of messing around with a standard process. Maybe if they implemented a better coding system that isn't completely poo poo (It's just the first four characters of the business name plus two numbers, e.g. DICK01) then this wouldn't be a problem.

However this is the UK, if you can't handle selling to businesses like "The Cock and Bull" then whatever.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Mo_Steel posted:

Discretion is the better part of valor. :eng101:

Not always true; one time in the mid-90s the pissy owner of a local radio station whose slogan was "Today's Hits, Yesterday's Favorites" came in to the ISP where I worked and asked us to build a website and register a domain, which he carefully filled into the form we provided, one letter in each little box.

todayshits.com

We said nothing. A week later he was back in our office screaming his head off at us for having bamboozled him or having failed to point it out and making him look stupid or some poo poo. Whatever, it was clearly our fault. He was livid, I think he even threatened to sue.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
This was posted elsewhere and I feel warrants sharing.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Data Graham posted:

Not always true; one time in the mid-90s the pissy owner of a local radio station whose slogan was "Today's Hits, Yesterday's Favorites" came in to the ISP where I worked and asked us to build a website and register a domain, which he carefully filled into the form we provided, one letter in each little box.

todayshits.com

We said nothing. A week later he was back in our office screaming his head off at us for having bamboozled him or having failed to point it out and making him look stupid or some poo poo. Whatever, it was clearly our fault. He was livid, I think he even threatened to sue.

Was that in the Northeast? Do they swap to Christmas music 24/7 right before thanksgiving? Because I bet I know the radio station you're talking about.

Also, I love the screenshot of a phone then drawn on in MSPaint. It's beautiful. :allears:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Javid posted:

This was posted elsewhere and I feel warrants sharing.

Picture of the cartridge downloaded from the internet. Viewed on a phone. Screenshotted from the phone and sent as MMS. Loaded into Paint to add text using the free pen tool. Saved as bmp. Converted to jpg again with a free online converter.

e: Also if those measurements are in inches that's a ridiculously big cartridge.

Collateral Damage fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jan 8, 2017

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

DelphiAegis posted:

Was that in the Northeast? Do they swap to Christmas music 24/7 right before thanksgiving? Because I bet I know the radio station you're talking about.

Nah, this was in a small town in northern California. I doubt that slogan is particularly unique. Though that rear end in a top hat owner probably thought he was a genius for thinking of it.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Ed, the guy that posted that, is in his high 60s-early 70s and is not a tech guru. The thread in the Firing Range is https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3715362 and yes that is a.585 Express Cartridge based round. They are gigantic.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

A Pinball Wizard posted:

Really you should be blaming the parents here, not the systems.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Ed, the guy that posted that, is in his high 60s-early 70s and is not a tech guru. The thread in the Firing Range is https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3715362 and yes that is a.585 Express Cartridge based round. They are gigantic.
I feel like you shouldn't have to be a "tech guru" to experience any sort of self-reflection.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
That a 70 year old gunsmith can screenshot on a phone is reasonably miraculous, I posted that here in more of an "adorably oblivious grandpa" way, not to be like "lol stupid users"

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

erk our old GM just retired and the new GM is the former head of sales and in an hour we have a 2 hour meeting to "KICK OFF 2017 IN THE RIGHT WAY, TEAM!!!!!!!" and I just want to kill myself or preferably the sales team

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

iajanus posted:

erk our old GM just retired and the new GM is the former head of sales and in an hour we have a 2 hour meeting to "KICK OFF 2017 IN THE RIGHT WAY, TEAM!!!!!!!" and I just want to kill myself or preferably the sales team

A steel-toed foot to his balls should send the right message.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

A steel-toed foot to his balls should send the right message.

Unfortunately, she doesn't have any (I assume).

I'm not saying that the meeting made me want to kill myself, but I did contemplate jumping out the first floor window and just seeing what happened.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
Was included late on a group email about something not working, another admin had run the wrong scrip or something, which made remote access not work correctly. Looking through the email chain though, I came across probably one of the dumbest things I've seen anyone say, this is from my boss's boss:
"CTO just confirmed his symptoms match mine, and if CTO is working on a Sunday, then so are we."

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

CitizenKain posted:

Was included late on a group email about something not working, another admin had run the wrong scrip or something, which made remote access not work correctly. Looking through the email chain though, I came across probably one of the dumbest things I've seen anyone say, this is from my boss's boss:
"CTO just confirmed his symptoms match mine, and if CTO is working on a Sunday, then so are we."

I just confirmed my contract details with mine, and if CTO is working on a Sunday then he should have been a better negotiator since I'm loving well not on call.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

If the CTO is working on a Sunday good for him. If he wants me there then it is a callout fee and time and a half. Assuming I am available.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

CitizenKain posted:

"I'm just going to assume you're using the royal 'we', and no, I'm not asking if you are or not."

iajanus posted:

I'm not saying that the meeting made me want to kill myself, but I did contemplate jumping out the first floor window and just seeing what happened.

It's good to let yourself know, "If I killed myself, I wouldn't have to sit through the rest of this meeting." This lets you reaffirm that you still want to live (always important) and gives you a baseline to help you get through other meetings. It works the same way for bad movies. I've been to some stinkers but for the last decade I've been able to say, "Well, at least this movie isn't as bad as Ballistic: Ecks vs. Sever."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

It was my first day back today, and my boss ("working" remotely) said I was crushing it and he was really impressed. I was rewarded with an upgrade to Enterprise PDQ. Gonna automate so much poo poo now.

I only got mildly sweary about the bad office causing Sketchup to be down for the rest of the company.

• Locked thread