Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:

overdesigned posted:

Non-turret ships can only target an enemy inside their printed firing arc, which is the two lines on their cardboard. Turret ships have the arrow icon, signifying that they can target and shoot a ship inside OR outside the printed arc on their cardboard, i.e. anywhere. It's a distinction that becomes important for stuff like autothrusters and a few other upgrade cards like secondary weapons.

Not to be pedantic, but that sounds like a 360 degree firing arc.

*E* Oh lord, I didn't mean to start a new page with my confusion over this. :saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
There are pilot abilities and stuff that only trigger when the enemy is in arc. That's why the arc is important. Offhand, the one I think of is Rey's pilot ability on the new YT-1300; it only triggers if you can keep your enemy within the printed arc, even if you can shoot them outside the arc.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

overdesigned posted:

There are pilot abilities and stuff that only trigger when the enemy is in arc. That's why the arc is important. Offhand, the one I think of is Rey's pilot ability on the new YT-1300; it only triggers if you can keep your enemy within the printed arc, even if you can shoot them outside the arc.

OK, I think I understand; the YT-2400 can use its primary attack in a 360 degree arc, but for the sake of certain abilities and upgrades, it still retains a forward 45-degree firing arc for this purpose.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Well, after thinking about different possibilities regarding Rey and Expertise (my main list idea being Rey+Horton), I started wondering about the ARC. However as I haven't really been able to use it much, I'm really after feedback on how it can be equipped effectively, to be paired with Rey.
I've pasted what I have below, although I'm not really satisfied with it - especially with the Nien Nunb+R2D2 combo:

quote:

Rey — YT-1300 45
Expertise 4
Finn 5
Kanan Jarrus 3
Engine Upgrade 4
Millennium Falcon (TFA) 1
Ship Total: 62

Norra Wexley — ARC-170 29
Expertise 4
Nien Nunb 1
R2-D2 4
Alliance Overhaul 0
Ship Total: 38
Grand Total: 100

Again, it's far from final (and I'm certain it's far, far from being perfect, with how I've set it up. Nien+R2D2 is more of a placeholder for a better regen list that I haven't thought up, really), so I'm very much after the opinions of those who have been able to test the ARC more. (I mean, I've been thinking about using regen-Poe instead of another turret perhaps, but I dunno) I'm wondering about maybe giving Norra PTL+BB8+Katarn or something, but I'm not 100% on that, either. Might be better than what I currently have, though.

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Jan 8, 2017

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
The Norra PTL, kyle, BB8, engine build is like a tankier phantom. The low PS is where it lags but the rear arc makes up for it somewhat as it can't be tailed without risk. It's in an OK place in the meta as turrets are kinda out and lower ps dodgable arcs are back in.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

IronSaber posted:

OK, I think I understand; the YT-2400 can use its primary attack in a 360 degree arc, but for the sake of certain abilities and upgrades, it still retains a forward 45-degree firing arc for this purpose.

Not quite.

All ships have a primary arc.

Some ships have other arcs (the Ghost, the Firespray, the Shadow Caster).

Some ships and upgrades can fire their weapons outside of their firing arcs.

This doesn't change where their firing arcs are. Things which reference firing arcs (autothrusters, Finn crew, for instance) care only about the arcs that are printed on the base (or indicated with the Mobile Arc token, for the Shadow Caster).

Being able to fire at something doesn't mean it's in your firing arc.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Hey Kong, did the event organisers have any info about the nationals for you?

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
So, my TFA Starter pack came in. Right now I'm looking around for people to play with nearby, but in the meantime I have a couple questions. First, am I going to have people piss and moan if I use the black Xwing mini to represent a plain, non-named Xwing pilot? Also, with just the starter and expansion I only have so many cards right now, but I came up with this Rebel 100 point list.

Rey/YT-1300 45
Smuggling Compartment 0
Burnout SLAM 1
Wired. 1
Millennium Falcon. 1

Blue Squad. Novice/T-70 24
Integrated Astromech 0
BB-8. 2

Blue Squad. Novice/T-70. 24
Integrated Astromech. 0
R5-X3 1

Total List - 99

Is that an okay list? Would I be better off running plain Xwings and piling more upgrade points on the Falcon? What about ditching the upgrades on the second Xwing and putting Weapons Guidance on the one that has BB-8?

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.

Raged posted:

Hey Kong, did the event organisers have any info about the nationals for you?

Nah, no one knows where it's gonna be yet. It still hasn't been decided. I'll post here though as soon as it gets decided.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Q_res posted:

So, my TFA Starter pack came in. Right now I'm looking around for people to play with nearby, but in the meantime I have a couple questions. First, am I going to have people piss and moan if I use the black Xwing mini to represent a plain, non-named Xwing pilot? Also, with just the starter and expansion I only have so many cards right now, but I came up with this Rebel 100 point list.

Rey/YT-1300 45
Smuggling Compartment 0
Burnout SLAM 1
Wired. 1
Millennium Falcon. 1

Blue Squad. Novice/T-70 24
Integrated Astromech 0
BB-8. 2

Blue Squad. Novice/T-70. 24
Integrated Astromech. 0
R5-X3 1

Total List - 99

Is that an okay list? Would I be better off running plain Xwings and piling more upgrade points on the Falcon? What about ditching the upgrades on the second Xwing and putting Weapons Guidance on the one that has BB-8?

Nobody is going to complain about you using the Black One mini for a generic. Well, there are probably one or two, but anyone who's going to get pissy about such a minor detail is somebody you shouldn't be playing with.

Edit:
Is it me or did FFG basically predict Vader's big moment in Rogue One?

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Jan 8, 2017

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Yvonmukluk posted:

Edit:
Is it more or did FFG basically predict Vader's big moment in Rogue One?

I read a hot take where the reviewer that scene felt weird/perverse because after a film about the Rebellion it basically fetishized Vader as a rad engine of destruction, but I feel like that was projecting. I definitely got more of a Jason Voorheez/Predator/Terminator kind of vibe where these brave but hysterically overmatched nobodies were doing their best in the face of an unstoppable horror movie monster. I empathized with the vest-wearing clock-punchers, especially the guy who starts off begging to be let in and then does the needful, accepts his fate, and hands off the IOMega Zip Disk with stardust.dwg on it.

Friction
Aug 15, 2001

Q_res posted:

No one is going to mind about the paintjob.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

IronSaber posted:

This is basically it. Just drop the word "arc" when referring to any ship with a turret (YT-1300, YT-2400, Y-wings with a turret upgrade, etc.) and you'll be fine. Anytime a card references "arc" it is ONLY the printed lines on the cardboard base. The Falcon has an arc but can fire 360 degrees in spite of that.

There are ships that have more than one arc like this (ARC, Hound's Tooth, Firespray) and those extra ones are part of the ship's arc.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Edit: I wish FFG would just get over it and make boosters or something with new cardboard for already released ships. They could do a Shadows of the Empire pack for Starviper and non-Dash Outrider fixes. The other YT-2400 pilots are near useless and I don't see then repackaging that ship anytime soon.

Or some kind of "Scum and Rogues" with both and fixes for the HWK and Scyke as well.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Iceclaw posted:

Or some kind of "Scum and Rogues" with both and fixes for the HWK and Scyke as well.

It would be awful nice to be able to fly Triple Interceptors without needing to buy two star vipers and what not.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
I'd really like to see T-65 fixes before anything for Scum. Scum is doing pretty well overall with a lot of good meta lists. Rebels have k-wings... maybe TLT again... I think X-Wings should be top tier.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Finster Dexter posted:

I'd really like to see T-65 fixes before anything for Scum. Scum is doing pretty well overall with a lot of good meta lists. Rebels have k-wings... maybe TLT again... I think X-Wings should be top tier.

Give me my god drat dual card title for S-foils FFG. :qq:

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

Finster Dexter posted:

Scum is pretty much propped up by Mindlink and Dengaroo, and the faction as a whole has like, thirty fewer pilot cards overall as either rebels and imperials do. The lack of pilot options from core set boxes and dual ship boxes really kinda stinks.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Devlan Mud posted:

Scum is pretty much propped up by Mindlink and Dengaroo, and the faction as a whole has like, thirty fewer pilot cards overall as either rebels and imperials do. The lack of pilot options from core set boxes and dual ship boxes really kinda stinks.

And PartyBossk. And Fenn.

Plus the game isn't named after any Scum ships, so I hope you'll forgive me for wanting X-wing fixes to make X-wings competitive in this game called X-wing with an X-wing on the box.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
Isn't a X Wing fix actually in the cards, not just speculations ?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Strobe posted:

Give me my god drat dual card title for S-foils FFG. :qq:

Just rename Pivot Wing

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Improbable Lobster posted:

Just rename Pivot Wing

Or don't, because the X-wing doesn't have a zero stop and it'd basically be a flat plus one agility for free, which is both boring and also won't really fix the X-wing's problems.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Strobe posted:

Plus the game isn't named after any Scum ships, so I hope you'll forgive me for wanting X-wing fixes to make X-wings competitive in this game called X-wing with an X-wing on the box.

:agreed: As much as I love the scum ships, they won't get new players interested when they see the ships on the table. Bystanders want to see the familiar ships flying. Make the falcon great again

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

I wonder if Z-95 spam has been a thing yet.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
So, any Aus+Kiwi goons heard about the 'Australian and New Zealand Team Challange'? It's likely going to be in early October. Here's what I've got on it, from the Adelaide FB group:

quote:

In October this year (tentatively the 7th-8th) the Australian and New Zealand Team Challange looks likely to take place in Canberra at the ThreeD6 store.

The ANZTC is a team tournament comprising of 6 players from each state. Last year we had SA, VIC, NSW, QLD and ACT represented twice as the host state. QLD won and are the reigning champs.

This year it looks like the tournament may expand to include a NZ and WA team as well.

The rounds are based on State vs State with a pairing system that is part of the overall strategy of the event. Teams must include 2 Imperial, 2 Scum and 2 Rebel list, with only 1 use of any Unique Pilot or Upgrade per team. So only 1 Palp, only R3A2, only 1 Dengar (so you have to choose Pilot OR Crew).

I'm keen for it, but nothing's locked in yet.

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

For the other side of the S-foil card, instead of the PW's 180 have it do a Sloop or T-Roll for a stress like the Falcon title. A 3-Sloop would be great, as that translates to a slightly less tight-maneuver than the 3T that the T70 can do, kinda like the back-end is heavier or it can't correct itself as quickly as the newer ship can.

Beyond that, ship titles are probably the most likely to be easiest way to make them more competitive... maybe have Wedge's Red 2 shed crits, Luke's Red 5 gets a free/cheap boost or some kind of focus-capacitor like Gonks do with shields.

TremorX fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Jan 9, 2017

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Luke's should give him free rerolls without needing a Target Lock :colbert:

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I know I've posted my homebrews in this thread like eight times already, but give me:

S-Foils (Cruise): When you reveal a maneuver, you may increase its speed by 1. After you execute a green maneuver, assign an evade token to your ship. Reduce your Primary Attack value by 1. After you execute a maneuver, you may flip this card.

S-Foils (Attack): When you reveal a maneuver, you may decrease its speed by 1. When attacking, you may add one die. If you do, cancel one die result before the Compare Dice Results Step. After you execute a maneuver, you may flip this card.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Strobe posted:

I know I've posted my homebrews in this thread like eight times already, but give me:

S-Foils (Cruise): When you reveal a maneuver, you may increase its speed by 1. After you execute a green maneuver, assign an evade token to your ship. Reduce your Primary Attack value by 1. After you execute a maneuver, you may flip this card.

S-Foils (Attack): When you reveal a maneuver, you may decrease its speed by 1. When attacking, you may add one die. If you do, cancel one die result before the Compare Dice Results Step. After you execute a maneuver, you may flip this card.

They'd have to playtest the hell out of that with Biggs. Free evade on greens? Potentially with R2D2's regen?

Or hell, imagine this in the Kanan/Biggs list. Biggs with Focus, Evade, a third evade die due to Tac Jammer, R4-D6, and then Kanan reduces incoming attacks by 1? Ugh.

The more I play X-Wing, the more I think that Biggs' ability is borderline broken. I've long felt it's the most powerful pilot ability in the game, and every time I start theorycrafting X-Wing fixes, I run into Biggs. He's the elephant in the room.

And that's where I get kinda stumped. Anything you do to increase the T-65's survivability boosts Biggs. Boost him too much and things start to break. It wouldn't even take all that much. :(

Makes me wonder if the real X-Wing fix is going to be an offensive boost rather than a defensive one.

Or maybe just have the text "Biggs Darklighter cannot equip this card". lol

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Or ps 8 or above? ( cause Biggs cab take ept Droid and vi)

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

bunnyofdoom posted:

Or ps 8 or above? ( cause Biggs cab take ept Droid and vi)

That would suck, though, because there are so many great low-PS X-Wings. :(

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

ConfusedUs posted:

They'd have to playtest the hell out of that with Biggs. Free evade on greens? Potentially with R2D2's regen?

Or hell, imagine this in the Kanan/Biggs list. Biggs with Focus, Evade, a third evade die due to Tac Jammer, R4-D6, and then Kanan reduces incoming attacks by 1? Ugh.

The more I play X-Wing, the more I think that Biggs' ability is borderline broken. I've long felt it's the most powerful pilot ability in the game, and every time I start theorycrafting X-Wing fixes, I run into Biggs. He's the elephant in the room.

And that's where I get kinda stumped. Anything you do to increase the T-65's survivability boosts Biggs. Boost him too much and things start to break. It wouldn't even take all that much. :(

Makes me wonder if the real X-Wing fix is going to be an offensive boost rather than a defensive one.

Or maybe just have the text "Biggs Darklighter cannot equip this card". lol

It's not offensive, because some of the best pilots in the game are T-65 pilots that are already ludicrously high on offense. Wedge and Wes do awful, terrible things to anything that they get guns on regardless of token stacking (thanks Wes!). Their biggest problems are that they explode at the drop of a hat, and that it's difficult for low PS pilots to get guns on targets. Integrated Astromech made surviving longer a possibility, but it did so at the cost of the T-65s greatest advantage - R2 Astromechs give them one of the best dials in the game. Without them they are average at everything, and being average is not a winning combination.

That said, I don't actually think what I mentioned would break him. It increases defense, yes, but it also reduces primary value well below the threshold for even threatening fast ships. I also toyed with saying "must" increase speed by 1 in cruise. I wasn't particularly happy with the inability to do 1 banks, however, since the idea is that for regen it'd make it actually, you know, possible, instead of being a dead end in the modern meta.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

The only way to know how game breaking a homebrew fix to the T65 is would be is to test it out, a lot.

Which is something I suspect many people who post nutty homebrews on Reddit or in Facebook groups for various custom ships and pilots don't ever actually do.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Strobe posted:

And the Lancer. And a whole lot of good crew cards. And brobots.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

quote:

So, it would seem that the interaction between IG-88B (though IG-88D crew) and gunner is better than expected. Based on the timing chart, a miss triggers both, meaning you can hit with cannon shot and still shoot with your primary. It's like the TIE/d title without a point cost restriction.

Is this true?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Thoughts on these?

I really need to get TTS to test out these homebrew stuff with you guys

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Dude talks about it here. Apparently, rules-as-written, yes.

https://www.reddit.com/r/XWingTMG/comments/5mvtur/tennessee_regional_battle_report_top_8_cut/

bunnyofdoom posted:

Thoughts on these?

I saw these last night shortly after my Biggs rant above. This guy had the same thoughts I did about Biggs, seems like.

I'm not sure about the point costs, and I haven't started building squads with it (probably won't lol), but at first glance this seems above average for a homebrew.

Edit: Squad Barrage could be broken, since you could do something like discard Chaardan Refits (loool). Linked Fire Torps with the rouge sharpshooter might also be undercosted, especially with the sharpshooter title. Pretty sure "free" isn't good for those.

ConfusedUs fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Jan 9, 2017

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

ConfusedUs posted:

I'm not sure about the point costs, and I haven't started building squads with it (probably won't lol), but at first glance this seems above average for a homebrew.

Have you not seen Rogue Leader? With the 2 other Rogue titles it's make XXX with 2 4 Red dice attacks for free. Oh and lets you have 2 EPT's. Not sure why you'd use his X-Wings though as they're not as good as Wes, Wedge and Luke.

Also the interaction between Rogue Squadron Sharpshooter and Linked Fire Torpedoes is just trying to make a massive alpha strike ship as you'd be getting a 5 dice attack for free.

Aramoro fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jan 9, 2017

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

bunnyofdoom posted:

Thoughts on these?

Oof some of those look pretty broken at first glance. Rogue Leader is especially game breaking in my mind, especially at only 2 pts. Linked Fire Torpedoes with the Sharpshooter title would be nasty. Of course, putting that on a bunch of ships with deadeye would be hilarious, too.

The intentions are good, and I wish they would release more cross-faction pilots like that Tycho shuttle. A Poe Dameron TIE/sf would be dreamy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

So the idea is that this happens, right?

1) You attack with primary, hopefully miss
2) Your miss triggers IG-88B ability (through IG-88D) and Gunner
3) You resolve IG-88B cannon attack first
4) Then you resolve the Gunner primary attack

Yeah, as I read it that's 100% legit.

• Locked thread