Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I never got to see Javik because he wasnt in the game at launch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Javik was Day 1 DLC which was a shameful act for a character so closely tied to the themes of the story. I've never played ME3 without him but I think it would be a much lesser game in his absence. Also his squad powers rule.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

Their purpose was not to uplift, but to subdue and to rule, which I thought was a good foil to all of our prior assumptions. It was also cool that the last living Prothean as far as anybody knows goes almost unnoticed in a galaxy full of chaos, and he has nothing to offer that can actually help you except to fight.

This was the best. After two full games of puffing the Prothean's and their tech up as some kind of Holy Grail, it all gets upended and their last survivor is like, "I'm just a shootman, I can't really help you do more than put bullets in things."

Liara's utter exasperation with him was good to.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

exquisite tea posted:

Seeing this screenshot made me realize how embarrassing it's going to be to read the name "Peebee" over and over and hear it spoken in 700 lines of dialogue.

This. Excluded from party due to stupid name.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I'm probably just really bitter still that they put him as DLC instead of including him in the goddamn game from the get go.

That poo poo kinda taints the whole experience.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Drifter posted:

I'm probably just really bitter still that they put him as DLC instead of including him in the goddamn game from the get go.

That poo poo kinda taints the whole experience.

I think stuff like that contributed to the explosion around the ending. There was a whole lotta bad will towards Bioware at release. Some more, some less justified.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Javik's delivery of "They used to eat flies." is one of the best lines in the game. Never played without him, he was a hilarious rear end in a top hat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XmUw7yYhlE

Winklebottom fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jan 8, 2017

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Winklebottom posted:

Javik's delivery of "They used to eat flies." is one of the best lines in the game. Never played without him, he was a hilarious rear end in a top hat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XmUw7yYhlE

He just sounds shocked by it. It's a nice balancing factor to Javik.

He's a colossal rear end in a top hat, but it's partially a coping mechanic. He deals with the fact everyone he ever cares about is dead and the only hope of vengeance is relying on empires he dismissed as primitive savages ages ago by emphasizing how much better he is.

Not being a nice person is just him being who he is, but a lot of the specifics come down to the fact that the worst thing that he can even imagine has happened, and if you don't laugh you go insane.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
Man, putting Javik as DLC was such a supremely slimy move. And EA DLC is still very expensive for what they are, use Bioware points (can you even use them on non bioware games?) and hardly ever go on sale.

rocketbrah
Sep 24, 2003

it's peanut butter
⚡ MORPHIN' TIME ⚡

Guyder

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

nerdz posted:

Man, putting Javik as DLC was such a supremely slimy move. And EA DLC is still very expensive for what they are, use Bioware points (can you even use them on non bioware games?) and hardly ever go on sale.

Bioware Points is basically giving you a thumbs up to acquire the dlc elsewhere.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
It'll be interesting to see what they paywall this time around.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Javik ruled. Probably one of my three favorite dudes in the original trilogy. Good replacement for zaeed too

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Thor-Stryker posted:

It'll be interesting to see what they paywall this time around.

I think EA has smartly learned it's not a worthwhile practice. DA:I had none of this bullshit, iirc.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Javik was fantastic. If you're going to add in a new party member to compete with old favourites, it's got to be someone like that (sorry Vega, if only you'd been around two games ago).

Rinkles posted:

I think EA has smartly learned it's not a worthwhile practice. DA:I had none of this bullshit, iirc.

Putting a shitload of major story stuff in Trespasser was arguably a bad decision, but at least all of the paid DLC was either sidequest-y, cosmetic, or post-game.

No Bioware points too.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
To make it worse, 5 years later and they still haven't released a gold edition with all the DLC.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Javik was fantastic. If you're going to add in a new party member to compete with old favourites, it's got to be someone like that (sorry Vega, if only you'd been around two games ago).

Putting a shitload of major story stuff in Trespasser was arguably a bad decision, but at least all of the paid DLC was either sidequest-y, cosmetic, or post-game.

No Bioware points too.

Yeah, I know, right>? Like, we've got TWO whole other games of Garrus and Tali, a previous one of Liara and Grunt, Hell, even EDI was a significant characterin 2. We already had a human, but now...oh, great it's another human. The only memorable thing about James was that he wasn't an irredeemable pile of poo poo that Ashley or Kaiden was. No, I DON'T want you back on my team, Kaiden you ungrateful piece of crap. Go complain to someone else.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Skippy McPants posted:

This was the best. After two full games of puffing the Prothean's and their tech up as some kind of Holy Grail, it all gets upended and their last survivor is like, "I'm just a shootman, I can't really help you do more than put bullets in things."

I always take him to Thessia with Liara because how could you not. It's like not taking Legion to Tali's loyalty, technically possible but way too good to pass up.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

nerdz posted:

It was lovely, but the deal was he was DLC or nothing. There wasn't time or budget to finish him as part of the core game, but managing day 1 DLC was within the timetable.

That said, day one paid DLC is about the worst optics of the options available. I didn't have to bother with it since I got the special edition, but that doesn't stop my from realizing just how awful it looks. Sure, from the inside it's a chain of unfortunate circumstances handled as best they could considering that games need to make money, but from the outside it looks like they chopped out one of the best parts of the game to charge people more money.

How your decisions look matters as much as, and maybe more than, what you actually meant them to be. And a lot came together to make something already unfortunate look much worse.

Remember when the game ended with a note from the devs saying to buy future DLC? You couldn't pay your enemies to make you look that moneygrubbing. Smartest change in the extended cut, right there.

Lollerich
Mar 25, 2004

The little doctors are back,
they want to play with you!
I swear on my life and on your life, the person who is reading this, that I will exclude Peebee from my squad whenever possible because her name is stupid and she looks stupid.

Drawing a line in the sand right here.

Don't care what that character is like in the game whenever it comes out, she's preemptively sidelined.

Lollerich
Mar 25, 2004

chiasaur11 posted:

That said, day one paid DLC

They don't care, they see that people eat that poo poo up and they just do it.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Lollerich posted:

I swear on my life and on your life, the person who is reading this, that I will exclude Peebee from my squad whenever possible because her name is stupid and she looks stupid.

Drawing a line in the sand right here.

Don't care what that character is like in the game whenever it comes out, she's preemptively sidelined.

I'm gonna take her everywhere and tell you all about it

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Lollerich posted:

Almost all of them are skins that can't even be seen in the game's multiplayer, I have trouble bringing my self to care.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Lollerich posted:

I'm honestly curious, do people actually buy these drat things? It feels so drat stupid

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

frajaq posted:

I'm honestly curious, do people actually buy these drat things? It feels so drat stupid

Tons of people love cosmetics and don't mind paying monies for them.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
I don't give a flying gently caress about cosmetic dlc.

A not a single gently caress.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Lollerich posted:

If you don't take her with you how is she supposed to die on a mission?

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Dexo posted:

I don't give a flying gently caress about cosmetic dlc.

A not a single gently caress.

You should, even if it's only vicariously! Without some folks insatiable bling lust, we'd be right back to lovely Day 1 content DLC or something even worse, like games that cost more than $60.

Lollerich
Mar 25, 2004

Skippy McPants posted:

Tons of people love cosmetics and don't mind paying monies for them.
7 € for a shirt and a paint job for a car??? And it's single player, nobody else can see you in that shirt, or car paintjob. Online appearance is mostly randomized.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

exquisite tea posted:

I always take him to Thessia with Liara because how could you not. It's like not taking Legion to Tali's loyalty, technically possible but way too good to pass up.

I did that and lost half my (non essential) crew!!! :argh:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Lollerich posted:

They want to charge for lovely cosmetics, fantastic and more power to 'em. Do that for something like Javik and they can gently caress themselves. RIght in their cloaca.

goddammit I need to check which one I'm quoting and which one I'm editing.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Lollerich posted:

7 € for a shirt and a paint job for a car??? And it's single player, nobody else can see you in that shirt, or car paintjob. Online appearance is mostly randomized.

Look, I didn't say that these people were sane, only that their particular brand of madness is helping prop up the game industry.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

It's just price discrimination.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Bongo Bill posted:

It's just price discrimination.

pricist

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Sure, but so long as that discrimination is in the form of useless cosmetics and not stuff that actually matters, well, I'm all for it!

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jan 9, 2017

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Price discrimination is, on balance, a good thing.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Skippy McPants posted:

He also explains that the Prothean being such an expansive empire meant that they acted like pretty much every other expansive empire in history, which was kind of nice to see.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Watch Peebee be an amazing and entertaining character.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Lycus posted:

She's gonna emote so hard with her eyebrows you'll be just awed by her!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Lycus posted:

Well she's going to be sci-fi Sera, for some people that is amazing and entertaining