Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Liquid Communism posted:

If there's anything I've learned lately it's that Panther Piss is some kind of loving magic for this.

It's also likely to give you all the cancers.

I made to sure to check for that in a private browser window... I wasn't completely sure what Google was going to give me when I searched for that.

January Chat Thread: Panther Piss is Magic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Mark Hamill is now reading Trump tweets in Joker voice.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

That was really weird. Started the car to go get stuff to cook dinner and to get gas for tomorrow. Left headlight was really bright and flickering, and the high beam indicator was flickering too. Flicked it to high and that bulb went out completely - no high or low beam (single bulb, dual filament).

Never lost both filaments at the same time before. Also meant dropping :10bux: on another bulb instead of making a pot of stew. :smith: I know the other bulb isn't far behind since they both went in at the same time; I get paid Monday, hopefully it lasts until then! or if it doesn't, hopefully at least one filament remains intact so I can be that rear end in a top hat driving around with high beams on instead of getting stopped for having a light out.....

When I pulled the bulb out, both filaments were gone, there was just a melted glob of metal lying below where the filaments used to be, and the top of the bulb (when positioned as if installed) was black. :confused:

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I hate Dr Mann so much

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Today's hilarious thing of the now for me is this: https://www.twitch.tv/seebotschat

They fight like a real couple.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Wait, what's going on with Roadkill's episode numbering?

The MCM episode was #60. #58 just went live on Youtube. Did they just release the MCM mashup to the public instead of putting it behind the paywall for a bit?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yup, it was a bonus episode that went straight to everyone. I'm betting this has to do with the fact that MCM also had an episode on it to air.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

That makes too much sense for Roadkill!

e: the car wash scene :laffo:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Jan 8, 2017

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

the spyder posted:

I gave up on motorcycle batteries and went to Oddessey's. Smaller, lighter, gel cell. If they are used regularly, they hold up just fine. Some day I'll find a LiFo that works, but until then I'm happy with these.
I go back and forth between motorcycle and 'race' batteries but haven't made the jump to LiFo yet. May make the jump on the swap car but not sure if it'll be worth it yet. After CSB's braile post I'm a little iffy.

cursedshitbox posted:

while we're on the topic of all things England.

12pt 12mm heads.
3/8-16 threads. ayup.
As I said on snapchat - Dammit WTF?

Tie for coldest temps I've seen since I moved to TN this morning, 12F. Coldest morning I can remember seeing since moving to TN, 10 degrees. Neighborhood hill is likely a giant sheet of ice by now. Brother and his wife decided to come over for dinner and going over the rental agreement (they're renting gf's house)...of course they got stuck at the base of the neighborhood. Then they spent the night on the couch watching Archer, dogs loved the company.

Good news is it'll be 65 by mid week

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Jan 8, 2017

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

cursedshitbox posted:

Heretic!

12pt 12mm heads.
3/8-16 threads. ayup.

Oh for gently caress's sake.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

cursedshitbox posted:

Heretic!

12pt 12mm heads.
3/8-16 threads. ayup.

I assume these are to join something post 1970 to the V8 engine block where some genius decided that rather than changing the machining to put a different hole and thread in the block they would instead create a special part in the form of an imperial metric bolt?

Is 3/8-16 = 3/8 UNC?

I'm still trying to find something to fit into the threaded holes in the back of my V8 heads. Getting hold of imperial bolts here is quite tricky and I have to order them in small quantities online and it is getting quite frustrating

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
It's most likely to make the engine "metric toolkit only". After all, 99% of the time, the thread is irrelevant to the task of workign on stuff, it's all about whether you've got a tool that fits it.

I think it is highly likely your threaded holes will be UNF or UNC.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
UK:

Halfords are still offering their fully synthetic oils at £12 for 5 litres. This usually goes for a solid £36 and there is nothing on the market that cheap (even Tesco's no-name stuff is £20/4litres)

Don't know why they are selling it off so cheap (it's not like it goes off in the warehouse) - perhaps they are bumping their year end figures? - but it's time to stock up.

At that price, I wonder if I can use it to cook my chips in.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

spog posted:

UK:

Halfords are still offering their fully synthetic oils at £12 for 5 litres. This usually goes for a solid £36 and there is nothing on the market that cheap (even Tesco's no-name stuff is £20/4litres)

Don't know why they are selling it off so cheap (it's not like it goes off in the warehouse) - perhaps they are bumping their year end figures? - but it's time to stock up.

What's the opinion on using FS in older engines that have lived their lives on Dino?

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

spog posted:

UK:

I was tempted by this the other day but then found that my local asda had just reduced all the 1L castrol FS to £3 from £9, so i have now stocked up on enough of that to cover my next 2 oil changes on my car! I think it was only reduced because the label design has been updated.

I should probably stock up for all my other vehicles too.

meltie posted:

What's the opinion on using FS in older engines that have lived their lives on Dino?

I've been thinking about this for a while, and read lots about it but have not actually tried it on anything I own yet. Would be interested to hear some actual experiences of it.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Tomarse posted:

I've been thinking about this for a while, and read lots about it but have not actually tried it on anything I own yet. Would be interested to hear some actual experiences of it.
My fleet is all old junk, the stuff I know history of has been mixed. The 320i ran dino until ~140k and has run synthetic the past ~35k, no issues. Courier was dino for the last two owners (~115k), the past 18k has been synthetic. The M's were run synthetic as long as I know, 928 has been mixed back and forth but synthetic since I've owned it.

I can't think of anyone I know telling me first hand that one of their cars was ruined by switching to synthetic oil.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

NitroSpazzz posted:

My fleet is all old junk, the stuff I know history of has been mixed. The 320i ran dino until ~140k and has run synthetic the past ~35k, no issues. Courier was dino for the last two owners (~115k), the past 18k has been synthetic. The M's were run synthetic as long as I know, 928 has been mixed back and forth but synthetic since I've owned it.

I can't think of anyone I know telling me first hand that one of their cars was ruined by switching to synthetic oil.

I have never had an engine get ruined but some synthetics will make an engine leak if it wasn't before. I had a customer with an escape switch to amsoil from mobil. A week later he comes back because his cam seal started pissing oil. Car didn't leak before hand then afterwards it did. I'm not saying the amsoil caused the leak but it sure helped it leak more then the mobil did. And amsoil allegedly has a couagulent (i probably butchered that word) to help oil leaks. I have only seen it on three or four cars where a leak showed up from the switch. But I also have customers that have always used synthetic and there oil is always the cleanest.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

meltie posted:

I've only got one engine that I switched at high mileage (and only about 115k at that), the 4.7 in my Jeep. It has developed a mild valve cover leak on the driver's side, but that's a common 4.7 problem. Seeing as the PO just had them done before I bought it, I suspect it is just a part failure since it wouldn't have had much time to build up a sludge seal. They were religious about 3k changes on dino oil.

Everything else I switched at or below 44k. I suspect the Mazdaspeed 3 always ran synthetic, and I know the Honda has.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Should we have a "post your bad idea" thread where people post the purchases/projects they know are terrible but want to pursue anyways?

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

blk posted:

Should we have a "post your bad idea" thread where people post the purchases/projects they know are terrible but want to pursue anyways?

:justpost: I can't be the only one with a big list of projects I'd like to do but lack the time/space/money/talent to do.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Tomarse posted:

I assume these are to join something post 1970 to the V8 engine block where some genius decided that rather than changing the machining to put a different hole and thread in the block they would instead create a special part in the form of an imperial metric bolt?

Is 3/8-16 = 3/8 UNC?

I'm still trying to find something to fit into the threaded holes in the back of my V8 heads. Getting hold of imperial bolts here is quite tricky and I have to order them in small quantities online and it is getting quite frustrating

yeah 3/8 UNC. These bolts probably will fit those bosses in the head if its later. intake bolts and starter bolts share the same threads HOWEVER, the starter bolts are a 10mm hex. I used to jank the above 12mm bolts from dead engines to reuse for that purpose.
Its from an exhaust manifold of a bmw era rover. prior to them iirc it was 1/2" but don't hold me on that, been a while.

stump
Jan 19, 2006

blk posted:

My eBay recent search list is a smorgasbord of terrible ideas I can't afford, and cars I can afford (which also terrible ideas).

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Seminal Flu posted:

What's a reasonable price to buy an original owner 2001 S2000 w/ 78k miles? Silver/black. Looking to flip, so a price that would allow me to keep it for a couple months and sell it for a few grand profit in the Spring.

My number was $9k and I drove an hour and a half with cash to pick it up this morning. Came home with no car.

"Pefect" meant hit back bumper, door ding-type dents on every panel other than the RF fender, bolster on driver's seat crushed to gently caress... I didn't go any further than that before leaving. :(

And it was a nice 70-year-old lady that had it (was her husband's car until he died). Absolutely hosed over by the independent shop that she takes her car to. How bad? She paid $750 for off-brand tires for JUST the rear. She said they were "special tires that the shop had to order in." That kind of poo poo just makes me mad/sad. I'm all for companies making money, but 300% margins are just exploitative and wrong.

alternate.eago
Jul 19, 2006
Insert randomness here.
So one of my Toyota buddies just stopped by and bought an engine harness for a celiac st from my parts horde, it's drat cold outside!

He also is gonna come back by next weekend and help me start ripping into the parts All Trac so I can start planning the swap on my car.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

meltie posted:

I switched my 200k+ mile Camry from dino to syn and the valve cover gasket started pissing oil almost immediately, but once I swapped that out it has been fine. It has also helped to clean out sludge in the motor from dino oil so that's a plus too.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1svDq_o1zU

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

alternate.eago posted:

So one of my Toyota buddies just stopped by and bought an engine harness for a celiac st from my parts horde, it's drat cold outside!

Just make sure you use all gluten-free parts

Fermented Tinal posted:

Today's hilarious thing of the now for me is this: https://www.twitch.tv/seebotschat

They fight like a real couple.

I just watched them argue about religion, then sonic the hedgehog, anime, Halo, they got engaged, the female bot was exposed as a cheater and then they went back to arguing about religion. It's like watching Reddit argue with itself, this is amazing.

redgubbinz fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jan 8, 2017

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

If full synthetic "makes" your engine leak, your seal(s) were already bad and it was a matter of time before whatever crud was blocking the leak got dislodged.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Enourmo posted:

If full synthetic "makes" your engine leak, your seal(s) were already bad, but it was a matter of time before whatever crud was blocking the leak could either reinforced by more sludge or break loose.

Air-cooled lyfe.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

At least in TX, EMS is usually part of the city fire department if the city is large enough to have a paid fire department, and the ambulances are parked at the fire station in one of the bays. The firefighters are almost always cross trained to at least an EMT Basic level, and calling for an ambulance often gets a fire truck too.

Rural areas will sometimes have a county-run EMS service, others may contract with the nearest city or a private company.

The city I'm in requires all firefighters be at least EMT Basic certified, and has almost all ALS ambulances (if not all of them).

I always thought most cities had EMS under the FD. Guess not?

Dallas runs EMS under the FD as well, though they'll station ambulances around the city during the afternoon and evening. They have contracts with private companies for overflow, which was a big deal last year in the news when that cost came to light (it would be a lot cheaper long term to buy more ambulances and hire more EMTs).

MGS can provide more details, but in this area many of the big cities have the ambulance service as part of the fire department and are paid accordingly, but it's ridiculously competitive to land a job with one of those departments.

The outlying areas and unincorporated areas are serviced under contract by one of the many company names that are all actually Rural Metro, a private company that apparently doesn't pay their employees for poo poo. Also since they are all the same parent company, the illusion of competition for contracts is false. This is where MGS works.

Edit:

For reference, pay a couple years ago for Phoenix Fire Department (base pay only, not including service bonuses, deferred compensation or other allowances and pay for special training.
Entry-level firefighter - $46,312
Early-career firefighter - $59,300 (5.5 years of service)
Firefighter paramedic - $72,221

The Locator fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jan 8, 2017

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Enourmo posted:

If full synthetic "makes" your engine leak, your seal(s) were already bad and it was a matter of time before whatever crud was blocking the leak got dislodged.

Or those seals have gotten used to an oil which maybe low in certain additives. Which then gets said additives and leaks. But surely you would know all about automotive seals seeing as you own a protege which likes to leak when you look at it. If it doesn't rust to pieces first.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Found out yesterday that baby #3 is going to be a boy. That makes for girl, boy, boy. Really had no preference either way. My inkling thought it would be a girl which was wrong obviously. Pretty stoked and looking forward to my wife not being sick anymore.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

clam ache posted:

Or those seals have gotten used to an oil which maybe low in certain additives. Which then gets said additives and leaks. But surely you would know all about automotive seals seeing as you own a protege which likes to leak when you look at it. If it doesn't rust to pieces first.

Jokes on you, my engine is good because I replaced all the oil seals about 15k ago.

On the junkyard engine. Because the original one died. Due to an oil leak.

Central Florida at least means no rust, though. I do need to replace a coolant elbow going to the turbo, though, it's been weeping since July. I've replaced like a liter in 6 months, so I've been lazy about it even though I have the new part.

E: currently sitting at the tire shop getting 2 new tires, because the puncture was too close to the sidewall and the other tire was 5/3/4. Which is weird since I never over inflate them and I don't run sikk camber.

Fender Anarchist fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jan 8, 2017

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Found out yesterday that baby #3 is going to be a boy. That makes for girl, boy, boy. Really had no preference either way. My inkling thought it would be a girl which was wrong obviously. Pretty stoked and looking forward to my wife not being sick anymore.

Congrats!

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Congratulations!

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Congrats.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Somewhat Heroic posted:

...looking forward to my wife not being sick anymore.

Until you knock her up with #4. :v:

Grats.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

NitroSpazzz posted:

At least we didn't get ice this time. People were driving stupid but the minimal snow we got didn't make to bad a mess of the back roads and the interstates (in Knoxville at least) were almost dry by 11 this morning. I didn't plan on going anywhere today with the snow but girlfriend was going stir crazy after being on bed rest since Wednesday morning so we went for a drive. Little VW does fine in this stuff and everyone was driving properly cautious.

I put on a set of Bridgestone Turanza Serenity Plus a week or two after black friday and they impressed me with how well they handled the hills and snow. Got a little momentum at the bottom of the neighborhood then when I lost enough speed went down to 2nd gear and sat at 15mph all the way up, no spinning tires at all.

Added an important part that explains the second part

What are you possibly getting? I grew up on that stuff and without it I doubt I would be able to fix anything.

Love it :perfect: Just showed girlfriend and she said she would not mind driving something like that. If you haven't you need to post that in the post your ride thread asap.

Since this is the general thread this will be only completely off topic. 1/4" plate steel, overkill for engine mounts or pretty standard and good practices? Think I finally figured out how I'm going to mount the engine in the race car. Was supposed to have a fab guy come look at it today but snow/ice killed that.

1/4 is probably overkill, 3/16 is likely about right, and 1/8 may be sufficient but possibly not. Given the small amount you will be using I would just use 1/4.

Geoj, you completely loving missed my point and then doubled down. Congrats, I don't know why I was at all surprised by this but I'll just leave it at that because apparently politichat annoys people.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

kastein posted:

Geoj, you completely loving missed my point and then doubled down.

Sorry - what was your point beyond "you're doing it wrong"?

I mean, if you know how to communicate with incredibly touchy white working class voters I'm all ears, but all I've heard from you is "see - you're not doing it right and that comes off as condescending."

Do you know what's really condescending? People who only say "no, you're wrong" without offering any alternative or explanation of what the "wrong" person could do differently.

Geoj fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jan 9, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Peace, Jan chat thread.

• Locked thread