Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
Gave them a call, explained the situation and was approved, that was relatively easy. I'm excited to be consolidating my cards!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
This is a poor time of the year for me to be hitting the minimum spend on a card but for the $500 difference I can just pad it with Amazon gift cards I guess. I just came out of the 5/24 rule too and got instantly approved.

hbf
Jul 26, 2003
No Dice.
Are any cards offering 5% off groceries? I know there were some that had rotating, but selectable categories at some point. It seems like Discover IT/Chase Freedom are just random rotation. Really gonna miss that Sallie Mae card when it dies in a couple months :rip:

hbf fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jan 7, 2017

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Amex blue cash preferred is 6%.

oliveoil
Apr 22, 2016
Can I rely on my credit card company's automatic payments to keep me from paying interest?

As far as I understand it, the ideal use of a credit card is to pay it all off every month so that you need pay interest. My provider offers autopay so that I never make a late payment, but really I want to have autopay so that I pay it off every month and never pay interest. It isn't clear to me whether that's how it works or if making my payment on the due date every month means that I'm paying a full month of interest every month.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
The only card I've had interest issues for autopay is the Amazon card from Synchroncy because their automated system sucks. Every other company allows for balance due payment.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

oliveoil posted:

Can I rely on my credit card company's automatic payments to keep me from paying interest?

As far as I understand it, the ideal use of a credit card is to pay it all off every month so that you need pay interest. My provider offers autopay so that I never make a late payment, but really I want to have autopay so that I pay it off every month and never pay interest. It isn't clear to me whether that's how it works or if making my payment on the due date every month means that I'm paying a full month of interest every month.

If you always pay your statement balance by the due date, then you won't be charged interest. The time period between the statement date and the due date is a grace period given by the credit card company for you to pay the bill. If miss a payment or don't pay in full, then generally you lose this grace period.

hbf
Jul 26, 2003
No Dice.

Saint Fu posted:

Amex blue cash preferred is 6%.

This does look like the best bet for ~5% off groceries, even though it has $95 annual fee. thanks!

asur
Dec 28, 2012
If anyone is trying to stock up on AA miles, there is a version of the Citi AA Plat application that does not have the 24 month language. Apparently you can apply using the same application for a second card following the Citi application guidelines and be approved though I haven't received the letter yet to verify that it also contains the signup bonus language.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

hbf posted:

This does look like the best bet for ~5% off groceries, even though it has $95 annual fee. thanks!
Sure thing. The $95/yr is worth it for the 6% if you spend $2,375 on groceries (assuming the other option would be a no annual fee 2% cash back card).

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Saint Fu posted:

Sure thing. The $95/yr is worth it for the 6% if you spend $2,375 on groceries (assuming the other option would be a no annual fee 2% cash back card).

The breakeven number for grocery spending is about $3,200/yr - the Amex Blue Cash Everyday gives 3% back on groceries with no annual fee.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Barclaycard really requires you to call to dispute a charge. Grr. And their systems are down.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I've got two Citicards, a Dividend I've had since 2005, and a Thank You Preferred I've had since 2014. Citi has sent me emails about converting them both to Double Cash. I assume there's no downside here, right? 2% effectively is better than the 1% I'm getting on the Dividend and the whatever on the Thank You (I don't bother with airline miles so Thank You points aren't very valuable for me).

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Space Gopher posted:

The breakeven number for grocery spending is about $3,200/yr - the Amex Blue Cash Everyday gives 3% back on groceries with no annual fee.

Just want to also point out that grocery stores also sell giftcards to almost everything, and krogers-chain stores give 2x or 4x fuel points on giftcards. I always get a buck/gallon off of gas, as well as the 6% off of the giftcards.

Null1fy
Sep 11, 2001

Just got approved for the CSR! Hopefully it comes in the mail soon so that I can book our flight to France in April with my wife. :)

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Null1fy posted:

Just got approved for the CSR! Hopefully it comes in the mail soon so that I can book our flight to France in April with my wife. :)
It gets overnighted.

Null1fy
Sep 11, 2001

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

It gets overnighted.

Jesus they just can't wait for you to rack up a balance, can they!

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

It gets overnighted.

If that's the case I may be in trouble... Applied/approved last week and no sign of it so far.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

The Big Jesus posted:

If that's the case I may be in trouble... Applied/approved last week and no sign of it so far.

Mine wasn't overnighted, I think it took like 5-6 days.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

The Big Jesus posted:

Wouldn't be surprised if they don't overnight any longer, they're frantically trying to cut down on the related costs now.

onemillionzombies
Apr 27, 2014

I hear tell Capital One doesn't upgrade or graduate from their secure card at all? I got it 5 years ago because I had no credit history but now I'm rolling along and want my deposit back.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Vox Nihili posted:

Wouldn't be surprised if they don't overnight any longer, they're frantically trying to cut down on the related costs now.

It's not automatic but they will overnight it if you call and ask politely.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Vox Nihili posted:

Mine was overnighted a few days ago. That was annoying - USPS has a key to my building, but UPS tends to just leave packages in the bushes, and by the time they gave me tracking info it was too late to redirect to a UPS store.

My guess is another production bottleneck on the metal cards.

hbf
Jul 26, 2003
No Dice.

Baddog posted:

Just want to also point out that grocery stores also sell giftcards to almost everything, and krogers-chain stores give 2x or 4x fuel points on giftcards. I always get a buck/gallon off of gas, as well as the 6% off of the giftcards.

Good to know! For some reason I thought there was something to prevent people from doing this.

Does anyone know if the Amex blue cash preferred is strict about what a "grocery store" is? Sallie mae cash back worked at most Targets for example. And do they ever do better than the $150 on $1000 spend sign up bonus?

And just FYI it looks like the card has a 10% cashback offer right now for Amazon for 6 months (max $200)

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Space Gopher posted:

Mine was overnighted a few days ago. That was annoying - USPS has a key to my building, but UPS tends to just leave packages in the bushes, and by the time they gave me tracking info it was too late to redirect to a UPS store.

My guess is another production bottleneck on the metal cards.

My wifes CSR was approved on Friday evening and received a metal card Monday via UPS next day.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.

onemillionzombies posted:

I hear tell Capital One doesn't upgrade or graduate from their secure card at all? I got it 5 years ago because I had no credit history but now I'm rolling along and want my deposit back.

Nope. If you close a credit card in good standing it remains on your credit report for ~10 years so I wouldn't worry too much about closing it. Don't close it if it's still your only credit card, get a standard credit card before you do so you don't have $0 in available credit when applying for a new card.

onemillionzombies
Apr 27, 2014

THF13 posted:

Nope. If you close a credit card in good standing it remains on your credit report for ~10 years so I wouldn't worry too much about closing it. Don't close it if it's still your only credit card, get a standard credit card before you do so you don't have $0 in available credit when applying for a new card.

Dumb of Capital One, now they'll lose a customer and the deposit. Fortunately I have a Citibank rewards card that's only a few years younger. Thanks!

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Baddog posted:

I fill up two cars from empty to maximize savings. Giant Eagle also has a promotion where you get free groceries from buying gift cards (Certain cards are 5% off per $50, but the 100% off is up to $100). I max the 6% every year which is a problem. The first year however used to be unlimited and annual fee free for the Amex Blue.

Elephanthead fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jan 10, 2017

DeceasedHorse
Nov 11, 2005
$250 + 10% on amazon is the high offer for the Blue cash preferred.

Try pulling up Amex's website from another computer. You also used to be able to get their higher offers using incognito mode but they may have fixed that recently

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Vox Nihili posted:

I actually just got mine today, and had applied/approved on Friday. Shipped UPS Next Day Saver.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

THF13 posted:

counterpoint: I wish I had kept my first credit card open all these years, because a 25 year old line of credit would really balance out all these cards I'm churning.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
I don't qualify for the CSR sign up bonus, but I guess at this point I should move my CSP to a CSR just to double-dip on the $300 annual credit.

Blinkman987 fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Jan 11, 2017

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Blinkman987 posted:

I don't qualify for the CSR sign up fee, but I guess at this point I should move my CSP to a CSR just to double-dip on the $300 annual credit.
And increase your UR redemption value.

Amara
Jun 4, 2009
This seems like a silly question, but if I close my Delta Amex card, do I still keep the SkyMiles bonus points I've accrued in my Delta SkyMiles account? Is there any reason to actually leave the card open?

Similarly with the Barclaycard JetBlue card, if I close it do I get to keep the points I've gotten so far on my TrueBlue account?

They've both got annual fees so I'm trying to figure this out before I have to pay those again.

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup
Delta Skymiles never expire.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
The Chase Amazon card is getting upgrades

http://www.marketwatch.com/(S(jedoqeb3epnwcu454c0p3lzb))/story/amazon-and-chase-introduce-new-prime-rewards-visa-card-with-5-back-on-all-amazoncom-purchases-and-rewards-everywhere-else-you-shop-2017-01-11

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
What if you have Prime when you sign up for the credit card, but then you cancel Prime after? Would the card still work?

marsisol
Mar 30, 2010
My CSR should be coming this week. Perfect timing as I'm dropping a ton of cash on my wedding in June and then on the honeymoon in December. I don't expect to have issues reaching 4,000 dollars in 3 months, but just in case, would it be legit to buy grocery store gift cards (or similar) to reach the 4,000 dollar minimum?

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

EugeneJ posted:

What if you have Prime when you sign up for the credit card, but then you cancel Prime after? Would the card still work?

Becomes at 3-2-1% card per their page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Anyone know if the Simon mall Visa cards you buy online work at Walmart (or other stores?) to buy money orders?