Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
This game is
This poll is closed.
Great! 180 32.61%
Awesome! 212 38.41%
Good! 160 28.99%
Total: 552 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Instant Grat posted:

Is there any good reason the colosseum limits you to betting 9999 medals at at a time, except to make the high-ticket items effectively unobtainable?

You get 10000-20000 medals per fight, on average (assuming you win, which doesn't always happen), and the big prize is 3½ million for... something that means you don't have to pay 10 gil every couple hours to keep your gas tank topped off

loving what

When you beat the game you get infinite gas so it's actually less than useless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Saint Freak posted:

When you beat the game you get infinite gas so it's actually less than useless.

Yeah but if for whatever reason you want to revert your car to "not a flying car" then you need that part to keep the infinite fuel.

(Just keep the flying car, man)

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
The reason why you can't bet more than 9999 is the same reason why you can't plant more than 4 carrots at a time.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
Wrapped it up last night. Solid B+, would play again. Flashes of greatness, but the vapid quests, difficult camera, and a myriad of other flaws just doesn't make it my favorite FF (which it came close to being a few times).

Wow, you guys weren't joking around when you said the story falls apart leading up to the end. I was able to follow the main thread well enough I think - Noctis was Fantasy Jesus, had to die to end the eternal night that Ardyn caused by manipulating the Empire into experimenting with daemons, and ultimately by killing Luna. Ardyn was originally Fantasy Jesus, but got so full of evil the gods turned on him and anointed another as the scion of eventual Fantasy Jesus (Noctis). He wanted revenge against the gods for turning on him, so he wanted to not only kill Noctis, but destroy his bond with his friends. That seems right. Maybe.

The cutscenes involving Luna after she died would have been great to see beforehand, if only to make the player feel something more when she dies. As it is, she doesn't really have much of a personality other than standard virtuous maiden. I did like the callback to Luna doing that thing to Ardyn after he stabbed her. Seeing that she also used a "time stitch" (still have no idea what the hell that is) to weaken Ardyn just as Noctis was about to make his final attack was pretty great.

The Titan fight felt like I wasn't playing the game correctly. I was frustrated the entire time. The Leviathan fight was utter and complete bullshit. No idea what was going on for the first minute, as I tried to figure out my new attacks. Eventually I just shot blue poo poo at it until I got the cutscene. Ifrit was really cool, but I was a little over leveled for him, so he went down pretty quickly. The Ardyn fight was a dumb final battle because it felt like I couldn't lose unless I really tried. It looked cool I guess, but it wasn't the culmination of the battle system that I spent 40 hours playing with so far.

Gonna take a break for a bit and then dive into the postgame stuff. I have some headlights to find, some fish to catch, and some AP to grind.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

m.hache posted:

Is there a good reason to get Noct's fishing up to 10? Currently sitting at 6 and since I don't see anymore quests I'm kinda meh about going back to it.

Really, is there any reason to get the skills to 10 (Aside from trophies which I'm assuming I'd get?)

Noctis gets bonuses to fishing for his level. The tackle discounts are only slightly useful, but some of them are very useful, like less durability damage to your line, increased chance of hooking a fish, and ability to catch bigger fish.

Gladiolus starts finding really good items at level 10, like Phoenix Downs, Mega-potions, Hi-elixirs, etc.

Ignis gets super-powerful recipes at 9 & 10.

All Prompto gets are new filters for the camera, which is neat and all but he'll get there without any effort on your part (and I don't see the point of Snapshot).

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
I finally got a Study Helixhorn!!

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
The "stitch in time" thing is a figure of speech (like "a stitch in time saves nine"), not an actual technique. Ardyn stopped time for a bit, because he can do that, because gently caress you, to get away with swapping himself and Prompto on the train.

What Luna did was just her usual healing arts, extracting the daemonic presence from people tainted by the Starscourge. Since Ardyn pretty much is nothing but daemons at this point, the technique causes him significant discomfort.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Barudak posted:

Also, if you're still early in the game there is 0 reason not to equip the extra AP time and offense items. They give 1 for one A+ and 3 for two A+ and given that you'll easily get into lots of battles its a free extra drip of AP. Of course, you should also be obsessively warp striking literally every foe you can.

I still don't get why quests don't give like, 5 AP per completed quest.

they should give way more than 5 with how fast AP costs rise. I ain't loving grinding on boring poo poo to go deeper into skill trees squeenix.

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

Just beat the game today and reading through this thread, I noticed something. More than half the complaints posted here are because goons are dumb and/or bad at video games and don't pay attention to anything going on. Like, people miss basic stuff like being able to CHANGE CLOTHING (it even changes your stats!) Or how to lock on to enemies. A myriad of other things goons complained about that, if they had paid attention, were explained in the game - for example the chapter 13 daemon being the Emperor....it's literally explained DURING the fight and afterward. And why that happened is explained throughout the entire chapter!

And all the complaints about the train part are dumb, too. It wouldn't make any sense to go back to the open world after that point, so they allow you to go back via memories to do whatever you want. Why is that so bad? The only bad part of the train was Tenebrae. Getting off the train and exploring more parts of that continent also wouldn't make any sense. You're on a pretty important mission there and time is running out, not to mention you're behind enemy lines.

The game having important backstory in a DVD is a little bad, but Kingsglaive is awesome for what it is. Don't want to watch it? Quit whining about not understanding some things, then. Don't want to spend money? Since when has something costing money stopped you from watching it? And some nerd even complained about the CGI. lol, show me something that has better CGI than that movie

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

pubic works project posted:

I finally got a Study Helixhorn!!

Awesome, now wait until Cid just grunts at you and says poo poo about his aching back, forever, and ever...

(I still don't have the ultima blade)

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

DelphiAegis posted:

Awesome, now wait until Cid just grunts at you and says poo poo about his aching back, forever, and ever...

You just have to do hunts and/or do quests to get him to call you. The game explains this to you. For Ultima Blade it's 5 hunts/quests, I believe.

GoGoGadget fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jan 8, 2017

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

GoGoGadget posted:

You just have to do hunts and/or do quests to get him to call you. The game explains this to you.

Cid glitches for some people though.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Jared noooooooo! I definitely cared about him after like two conversations! Why, god, why?

Edit: Noctis dreaming that ad was preeeetty shoehorned in there

Akuma fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jan 8, 2017

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

All sensitivity has long ago atrophied
Don't worry he comes up about as much as Spider-man's Uncle and Batman's Parents in reboot movies.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

DelphiAegis posted:

GoGoGadget posted:

You just have to do hunts and/or do quests to get him to call you. The game explains this to you. For Ultima Blade it's 5 hunts/quests, I believe.

You also need to rest once - he will call you on your cell when it's ready.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Holy poo poo. In the long history of awful sewer dungeons this game has to have the worst one yet.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
I actually thought the sewer dungeon was alright - it was maze-like and layered enough to really get lost in, which was neat

Though I can imagine that if you didn't immediately realize you're supposed to activate those switches, the backtracking would be a pain in the dick.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Instant Grat posted:

I actually thought the sewer dungeon was alright - it was maze-like and layered enough to really get lost in, which was neat

Though I can imagine that if you didn't immediately realize you're supposed to activate those switches, the backtracking would be a pain in the dick.

I've hit three switches although I don't know what they do. Now I can't find any ground I haven't covered.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
Have you found the big huge fall down the pit yet

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Instant Grat posted:

Have you found the big huge fall down the pit yet
Many times.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
On your way back up, you should've passed a door marked with four key-icons on the minimap - that's what unlocks when you find the fourth switch. I remember one of them being on the way up out of the pit, a bit after the door itself. If it's not that one you're missing, then I don't know what to say other than "Explore better".

Anzen
Oct 21, 2010

J-Spot posted:

I've hit three switches although I don't know what they do. Now I can't find any ground I haven't covered.

There's a part near the beginning with 3 tunnels with fences in front of the openings.

You can hop the fence.

(i was stuck in this part for so long before i accidentally stumbled into the solution)

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The train thing is pretty bad and I think I'd prefer it be Noctis auto driving the Regalia through the eastern continent and you can't get out because of reasons (Say, Prompto and Gladio don't want to put Ignis through more fights or drama than necessary) and just have the ride fade out after all the dialogue is done and come back when you're near your destination. Because after X amount of time in the game, I have infinitely more attachment to my car than I do a silly old train.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

I finally just looked it up online. I must have overlooked the particular switch I was missing.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood

GoGoGadget posted:

The cid in my game grunts and does not take quests anymore

Thats why people say that.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

J-Spot posted:

Holy poo poo. In the long history of awful sewer dungeons this game has to have the worst one yet.

FFXII not only had a worse sewer dungeon, that had parts you needed to revisit, it also had that crystal dungeon.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

J-Spot posted:

I finally just looked it up online. I must have overlooked the particular switch I was missing.

I did the same thing. Took forever to find that last switch.

As an aside, I did Castlemark Tower today only to have the cube puzzle glitch out on me. Couldn't activate any beyond the first.

Looks like I'm never going back now.

I also completed the game and was all "I'm going to platinum trophy this thing!" but now I'm hesitant to keep playing.

Is there decent enough content post game? or is it just busy work.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

GoGoGadget posted:

The game having important backstory in a DVD is a little bad, but Kingsglaive is awesome for what it is. Don't want to watch it? Quit whining about not understanding some things, then. Don't want to spend money? Since when has something costing money stopped you from watching it? And some nerd even complained about the CGI. lol, show me something that has better CGI than that movie

Lol at defending a story which requires an entirely different media to actually flesh out the story. If you need a comic book or DVD to explain your story your story is poorly executed. Sorry.

Unless there it is a literal sequel there no excusing that.

E: Like seriously have a prequel thing all you want you have to have your story actually make sense to people in a standalone sense.

Also even in a sequel call backs and quick one line things help to "catch up" people who didn't see the first one.

This game has gaping holes that I guess are explained in the DVD. That isn't some thing to talk down to people about when they rightfully complain the game does a horrendous job of telling you anything.

JetsGuy fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jan 8, 2017

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

I had to run through a cleared Crestholm like fifty times to find the switch I missed because I'm dumb.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Even if you like the story you have to admit it wasn't executed properly.

In fact the giant gaping missing pieces are so clear and would have made it so much better it's crazy.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

SLOSifl posted:

I had to run through a cleared Crestholm like fifty times to find the switch I missed because I'm dumb.

:same:

In the damned puzzle room I ran through a bunch of times intentionally avoiding the drop into the giants room before I finally realized what they wanted me to do.

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

JetsGuy posted:

Lol at defending a story which requires an entirely different media to actually flesh out the story. If you need a comic book or DVD to explain your story your story is poorly executed. Sorry.

Unless there it is a literal sequel there no excusing that.

E: Like seriously have a prequel thing all you want you have to have your story actually make sense to people in a standalone sense.

Also even in a sequel call backs and quick one line things help to "catch up" people who didn't see the first one.

This game has gaping holes that I guess are explained in the DVD. That isn't some thing to talk down to people about when they rightfully complain the game does a horrendous job of telling you anything.

So...watch it? Problem solved.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Josuke Higashikata posted:

The train thing is pretty bad and I think I'd prefer it be Noctis auto driving the Regalia through the eastern continent and you can't get out because of reasons (Say, Prompto and Gladio don't want to put Ignis through more fights or drama than necessary) and just have the ride fade out after all the dialogue is done and come back when you're near your destination. Because after X amount of time in the game, I have infinitely more attachment to my car than I do a silly old train.

Between Biggs and Wedge's outfits and the forced train ride, I'm surprised more people aren't catching the reference

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

GoGoGadget posted:

Do you seriously not understand the argument that a game should, in general, be able to stand on its own without watching/reading something OUTSIDE of that game?

It doesn't make a person wrong or lazy to make that comment.

As an aside I'm glad that this thing has largely been kept to prequel/sidestory stuff and not poo poo like this game where huge portions of the story are :psyduck: and presumably the DVD fills that in.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

GoGoGadget posted:

Hi, just popping in to let you know your posting is so bad I literally cannot tell if you're being sarcastic or not.

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

JetsGuy posted:

Do you seriously not understand the argument that a game should, in general, be able to stand on its own without watching/reading something OUTSIDE of that game?

It doesn't make a person wrong or lazy to make that comment.

As an aside I'm glad that this thing has largely been kept to prequel/sidestory stuff and not poo poo like this game where huge portions of the story are :psyduck: and presumably the DVD fills that in.

The DVD only fills in what happens in Insomnia while Noctis and pals are out. Specifically from shortly before they leave (Noctis is in the DVD, but you don't see his face...just him training with the Kingsglaive and an offhand reference to him) to when Noctis and pals hear about the fall of the city. Fleshes out a bit about Luna and Ravus, too.

I see how it is a problem, but I also don't see how they could have put it in the game as well as it is portrayed in the DVD.

Shazaminator
Oct 11, 2007
The power of Shazam compels you!

Barudak posted:

Its obviously way too late now, but the food which makes the party immune to instant death is way, way to useful and there shouldn't be any enemis in this game with instant death whatsoever because it is a terrible loving mechanic in this game.

Instant death is a terrible mechanic in any RPG and yet it still keeps cropping up.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

GoGoGadget posted:

Yeah, I picked up the Drain Lance 3 from him, with the Ultima Blade and Super auto crossbow quests still "pending" and he tells me to gently caress off.

I should plant some more carrots, see if I can get another machinery, then see if the new quest kicks his wrinkly loving rear end into gear.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Kingsglaive is worth watching just for Sean Bean's performance which is pretty great. Also it has Luna in a coat. And she's in it for more than five minutes! And quite alot of fanservice-y references to past games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

DelphiAegis posted:

Yeah, I picked up the Drain Lance 3 from him, with the Ultima Blade and Super auto crossbow quests still "pending" and he tells me to gently caress off.

I should plant some more carrots, see if I can get another machinery, then see if the new quest kicks his wrinkly loving rear end into gear.

Just spam some easy low level hunts. They don't have to be new hunts.

Renoistic posted:

Kingsglaive is worth watching just for Sean Bean's performance which is pretty great. Also it has Luna in a coat. And she's in it for more than five minutes! And quite alot of fanservice-y references to past games.

I like Luna in the movie, I've been dawdling in the game so haven't really seen her yet but from everything I've read I'm sad she doesn't have as much airtime. It also bugs the poo poo out of me that they couldn't bother to pay Sean Bean and Lena Headey to do the voices in the game.

• Locked thread