Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

imagine over a million nerds crowdfunded a spaceship: promised the Prometheus but ended up with the Nostromo, and everybody falls through the floors frozen in a T-pose

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Mokinokaro posted:

Yeah this too. Alien does have this nice chunky feel. The Nostromo feels like a utility ship, not some state of the art slick thing made to look good for the cameras.

One of my friends worked on the interior of the Prometheus :(

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Xaerael posted:

I mean, it's nice, just not everyone's cup of tea. Space Rust Bucket gives a certain edge of uncertainty that really played to Alien / Aliens strengths.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Xaerael posted:

Oh I LIKE the look of Prometheus too.

They're just very different aesthetics and it even makes sense in universe. The Prometheus was a ship built for the best of the best while the Nostromo's a likely fairly old hauler.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Mokinokaro posted:

Yeah this too. Alien does have this nice chunky feel. The Nostromo feels like a utility ship, not some state of the art slick thing made to look good for the cameras.

Random "Alien" trivia:

Ridley Scott's original vision was having an android called Lesnick, Director of Spaceships being the ship's science officer with a defective calorie counter. Test audiences felt the scene of him attempting to shove a German Wing Commander manual down Ripley's throat unbelievable. However, "gravy for blood" was retained for androids during the rework with Ash and the sequels.

Plural Abysss
Feb 25, 2016

BeefThief posted:

imagine over a million nerds crowdfunded a spaceship: promised the Prometheus but ended up with the Nostromo, and everybody falls through the floors frozen in a T-pose

In space, no one can hear you :reddit:

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

Colostomy Bag posted:

Random "Alien" trivia:

Ridley Scott's original vision was having an android called Lesnick, Director of Spaceships being the ship's science officer with a defective calorie counter. Test audiences felt the scene of him attempting to shove a German Wing Commander manual down Ripley's throat unbelievable. However, "gravy for blood" was retained for androids during the rework with Ash and the sequels.

Ben wouldn't fit in the cramped corridors of the Nostromo though.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Xaerael posted:

Eh, there was reasoning why the Prometheus was "posher" than the Nostro. The Nostro was literally a space lorry cargo-hauler. It's crew were mainly grease monkeys and a science officer. The Prometheus was a high tech science vessel paid for by literally the richest man alive.

yeah i get the rationale and prometheus looks gorgeous. i actually really have a soft spot for that movie, it's far and away better than most of the other films in the franchise (aside from the untouchable first two) despite wonky storytellin'

i am also hype as hell for alien: covenant, the idea of a backbursting-xenomorph rather than a chestburster fills me with dread and anticipatory grins

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Young Freud posted:

You got me curious and Alien did something similar, but most of the lighting comes from a lamp exterior to the helmet.

I assume the Alien suits are for different conditions. It was a mining ship so the lighted ones were for on land or in the mines.
The white one was in the escape pod, so only for space walking should it arise.

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord

Xaerael posted:

Movie making secret: Helmet lighting is there so you can see the actor's face. It was a trick made up because lighting an actor on set with a full helmet on resulted in hard shadows unless the lighting was set up at weird angles that lit the set in weird ways.

Yea the giant dome ones are for that too. Youre not gonna get those actors these days and cover up their faces

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

alf_pogs posted:

yeah i get the rationale and prometheus looks gorgeous. i actually really have a soft spot for that movie, it's far and away better than most of the other films in the franchise (aside from the untouchable first two) despite wonky storytellin'

i am also hype as hell for alien: covenant, the idea of a backbursting-xenomorph rather than a chestburster fills me with dread and anticipatory grins

3rd movie is a joint second in my opinion, but ONLY the director's cut, which makes a ton more sense and flows way better in it's unfucked by the studio form. The only bad 'un imo is resurrection, which is bullshit awful, and what happens when you get a a director who's normal theme is quirky-weird.

Also, I swear this thread rotates to Alien franchise chat every six months.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
If the lore allegedly has glass stronger than steel there is no reason to have your helmets not have 270 degrees of view.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Iceclaw posted:

Ben wouldn't fit in the cramped corridors of the Nostromo though.

Production crews bought cases of KY jelly to overcome this.

After the re-shoots, they used the KY jelly as the Xenomorph saliva to empty the remaining stock.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Lladre posted:

If the lore allegedly has glass stronger than steel there is no reason to have your helmets not have 270 degrees of view.

something something COSMIC RADIATION

The Expanse has so far had the best depiction of what happens if you open your helmet in space i.e. nothing if youre holding your breath and its not for very long. Pretty cool depictions.

Now that I think about it, they could def take some monster design cues from the crazy bendy people for the Ceres asteroid infections.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

cool new Polack jokes posted:

The ELE will not be televised. I think a lot of backers- who are interested in the project but don't participate in the RSI forums or reddit- have/will quietly back out without making a stink. The 'casual' players (aka normal people) who are willing to pay $60+ for a game usually just physically give someone money in exchange for an actual product, and so 5 years is about 4.999 years too long for them to wait. It's nothing for them to have a little skin in the game and even less to take it out.

If I were a backer, hell I'd be happy just to have been part of this crazy ride. :downs: My favourite part will be when the Turing's Stop (dumb rear end fuckin name) sign ends up in a construction dumpster.

I suppose I would be happy to have that sign on my wall, over where all my computers are.

Yeah, no. I am a Solar Plebeian. I don't have enough money to throw it down a hole in the HOPE a game might come out. On the rare occasions I have game spending money, I plunk it down on a currently released title I can play NOW. I have bought a copy of Steam Early Access games, but only because they were done enough for me to have a good time with as is and any additional development would be icing on the cake.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

D_Smart posted:

That's not a "cut scene" you retarded dimwit.

Derek, please don't insult MoMA, as I posted on my July blog, I was given a probation warning for doing so.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Colostomy Bag posted:

Production crews bought cases of KY jelly to overcome this.

After the re-shoots, they used the KY jelly as the Xenomorph saliva to empty the remaining stock.

KY Jelly is used in like every monster movie! The Thing and Slither are two others that come to mind.

http://www.ranker.com/list/things-used-as-nasty-substances-in-movies/nathan-gibson

http://www.outpost31.com/movie/specialfx.html

Somewhere I once read about studios just buying those giant 2000 gallon drums of KY jelly for their monster movies and just going through them like crazy. That one Syfy show about the special effects/monster makeup stuff was a constant source of surprise with what you could do with stuff like that.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Lladre posted:

Yeah... but but BUT you probably also now have steel that is stronger than glass stronger than steel. :smug:

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Lladre posted:

Its really not a far fetched idea to be using diamond in place of glass at the point. Were already making manmade sapphire for watch faces, glasses, and soon to be phone screens. Another 50 years we will most likely see diamond being used for the same stuff.

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

Ramadu posted:

something something COSMIC RADIATION

The Expanse has so far had the best depiction of what happens if you open your helmet in space i.e. nothing if youre holding your breath and its not for very long. Pretty cool depictions.

Now that I think about it, they could def take some monster design cues from the crazy bendy people for the Ceres asteroid infections.

If you are holding your breath the alveoli in your lungs will pop. You need to exhale completely.

But the expanse is awesome and book 6 is great, mandatory nerd reading.

Eldragon fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Jan 9, 2017

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Xaerael posted:

3rd movie is a joint second in my opinion, but ONLY the director's cut, which makes a ton more sense and flows way better in it's unfucked by the studio form. The only bad 'un imo is resurrection, which is bullshit awful, and what happens when you get a a director who's normal theme is quirky-weird.

i almost agree; kind of wish the prison planet had been made of wood and populated entirely by monks but what we ended up with is pretty gothic and great. stylistically and thematically i think it's a much better fit than cameron's aliens

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Eldragon posted:

If you are holding your breath the arioli in your lungs will pop. You need to exhale completely.

But the expanse is awesome and book 6 is great, mandatory nerd reading.

yeah it is, babylon's ashes was way better than the frontier planet thing though I didn't mind that at all really. Was very sad to see alien space detective AI leave

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

grimcreaper posted:

Its really not a far fetched idea to be using diamond in place of glass at the point. Were already making manmade sapphire for watch faces, glasses, and soon to be phone screens. Another 50 years we will most likely see diamond being used for the same stuff.

The problem with that is that diamond IS hard, but it is quite brittle, and we have no clue about how it operates at cryogenic temperatures. It would rather suck if you hit your head on an airlock door frame and had it crack or shatter.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kO_FlNxMYzw&t=812s

Beta soooon - so pumped

Samizdata
May 14, 2007
Also called Ben an outright scammer on Twitter, as per WC:A. If no response tomorrow, I am going to address Alexis, by suggesting as a spouse it is her job to help her husband not engage in criminal activity.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

starkebn posted:

us people who have never bought into this are the real winners

we just soak up the drama

:same::hfive:

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Samizdata posted:

Also called Ben an outright scammer on Twitter, as per WC:A. If no response tomorrow, I am going to address Alexis, by suggesting as a spouse it is her job to help her husband not be a scammer.

Just stop.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Xaerael posted:

I can't quite put my finger on it, but something seems off in this image guys...

This looks like Game Development straight out of the CIG design document for Star Citizen and Squadron 42 and Star Marine. All three top AAA games that will redefine each genre they are targeting because no company has ever been brave or smart enough to "just do it".

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Samizdata posted:

Also called Ben an outright scammer on Twitter, as per WC:A. If no response tomorrow, I am going to address Alexis, by suggesting as a spouse it is her job to help her husband not engage in criminal activity.

You're being a loving weirdo and you need to take a breath. You are the fucker in this scenario.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Xaerael posted:

screenplay by josh whedon iirc

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Samizdata posted:

Good luck with that, they both work for CIG

They've been living live by helping to scam people for the past 4 years

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Samizdata posted:

probably a line you don't need to cross, fellow goon

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Tarquinn posted:

Just stop.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Tarquinn posted:

Just stop.

Yeah, no. No one made him cadge thousands of dollars from fools for something he quite apparently has no intention to do. Besides, he's a Citizen. He'll probably ignore me just like the Citizenry ignore reality.

EDIT: You know, if you don't want people criticizing you, then don't get on a public forum soliciting money for a project, then go back on that public forum AFTER getting the money, talking about neat new stuff you own and ways you waste time while NOT showing any activity on the project you got the money for. He did this, not me.

Samizdata fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jan 9, 2017

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

Tarquinn posted:

Just stop.

Seriously. Star Citizen and related scams need to develop on their own. They need to ferment in their own special way, and constant Goon poking at the bubbling mass of scam adds off flavors to the comedic development.

We need to let all the Wing Commander nerds figure out that Ben's scamming them (again) and is in over his head with this project (again) on their own, because it will be so much funnier that way.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Samizdata posted:

Yeah, no. No one made him cadge thousands of dollars from fools for something he quite apparently has no intention to do. Besides, he's a Citizen. He'll probably ignore me just like the Citizenry ignore reality.

EDIT: You know, if you don't want people criticizing you, then don't get on a public forum soliciting money for a project, then go back on that public forum AFTER getting the money, talking about neat new stuff you own and ways you waste time while NOT showing any activity on the project you got the money for. He did this, not me.

yeah that's cool and all but going after his wife for not doing her wifely duty or something seems a little much

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

mike12345 posted:

screenplay by josh whedon iirc

On res? yeah, it was very very early in his career. It was his first "serious" film, everything else had been TV, kids or comedic. FWIW, res was also studiofucked to hell, but on every level, and the original script was far more interesting and involved going back to LV426 with a totally new cast. Reason for going back was going to be that the explosion in 2 wouldn't have reached the alien ship.

Instead, the studio excecs decided that clones were the flavor of the time, and shitcanned the original idea pitch in favour of their peabrain idea because "Alien movies without Ripley wouldn't sell".

(20th Century Fox is a shitbad film company)

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Xaerael posted:

On res? yeah, it was very very early in his career. It was his first "serious" film, everything else had been TV, kids or comedic. FWIW, res was also studiofucked to hell, but on every level, and the original script was far more interesting and involved going back to LV426 with a totally new cast. Reason for going back was going to be that the explosion in 2 wouldn't have reached the alien ship.

Instead, the studio excecs decided that clones were the flavor of the time, and shitcanned the original idea pitch in favour of their peabrain idea because "Alien movies without Ripley wouldn't sell".

(20th Century Fox is a shitbad film company)

feelings on Aliens: Colonial Marines being canon?

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Viscous Soda posted:

Seriously. Star Citizen and related scams need to develop on their own. They need to ferment in their own special way, and constant Goon poking at the bubbling mass of scam adds off flavors to the comedic development.

We need to let all the Wing Commander nerds figure out that Ben's scamming them (again) and is in over his head with this project (again) on their own, because it will be so much funnier that way.

But then Unca Derek won't give me my Junior Warlord badge and secret decoder ring! How am I supposed to know to drink my Ovaltine then? Huh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Samizdata posted:

You are 100% correct and i support you.