Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Mr. Squishy posted:

Is there... any suggestion that the Russians have been involving themselves with European elections?

It's right now in the news here, European governments are extremely concerned of the possibility of Putin trying to manipulate elections here like he reportedly did in USA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular

Nebalebadingdong posted:

My dad got some old stuff and found a local cartoon from some year I'm not sure of yet. I've got a journal that should identify the artist when I have a chance.

I love seeing forgotten historical figures in old cartoons. I hope the journal has more information about Buck Buck Buck Buck

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

SwitchbladeKult posted:

I work IT and I get to see most of the hiring that goes on and the majority of full employee hires are in their late 40's to early 60's. Most of the Gen-Xers and Millennials that get hired are brought in as temps and contractors. There is a big problem, especially in more established companies, where instead of training and grooming talent they just head hunt it from other companies. This has created this really interesting problem where companies will be unable to fill most if not all of the management and skilled+experienced labor positions once they run out of Babyboomers to snipe. The last 20-30 years (basically since Reagan) have wreak absolute havoc on the labor market. It seems like every day I read a new article about how screwed the labor market is thanks to the endless obsession with short term profits over long term growth.

Interesting that this is IT: I saw the exact same things in my first career as an engineer, and that was 25 years ago. gently caress developing talent, let's just steal it and underpay the kids. That's sustainable, right?

Starshark posted:

Don't worry! The millennials will get the blame for not working hard enough. Not that I give a poo poo as a Gen X'er, I just think it's funny to see the generation with the short end of the capitalist stick getting the most poo poo.

Same here. Everything that was bad for Gen X is worse for the millennials.

The difference is that Gen X always knew we were hosed, starting with the recession/inflation of the 70s (our famous grunge-esque sense despair and cynicism). Whereas the poor millennials bought into the most of the bullshit that the boomers told them, and were expecting to have it as good as the boomers did. So yeah, gently caress the boomers.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I guess in the Brexit ref there was some rumours that some of the money funding Out campaigns came from Russia. Well I'll be.

Xi over Xi-bar
May 10, 2009
https://twitter.com/LatuffCartoons/status/817380403803779072

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Squashy Nipples posted:

Interesting that this is IT: I saw the exact same things in my first career as an engineer, and that was 25 years ago. gently caress developing talent, let's just steal it and underpay the kids. That's sustainable, right?

This a cycle that's going to be hard to break, because the first one that blinks and goes "maybe we should try training new people instead of constantly poaching" is suddenly going to find all of their people poached, because corporations are amoral entities that exist only to consume and grow with a focus on right now and no fucks given about tomorrow.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I live near Decatur, AL and I'm pretty sure I've seen some of this artist's work before (or someone with a similar style). Maybe my grandmother's got some stuff like this saved up as well. My grandpa liked political cartoons and the like and collected some bits and pieces here and there.

If you find out who it is, let me know, the journal I got with it has nothing to identify with

Volcanic Vents
Mar 28, 2009

It's nice that Bill Day's backed off on the plagiarism but in this case it would've been nice if he'd copypasted from a dictionary since he misspelled "misogyny."

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Nebalebadingdong posted:

If you find out who it is, let me know, the journal I got with it has nothing to identify with

Will do. Also surprised there's another goon out here in the sticks.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

If you were to take the dad character and put him into another comic, would it seem a tad bit racist in how he was drawn?

What even is the point of this comic?

"God is a cruel puppetmaster who deliberately created species that would prey and feed on each other for his own amusement?"

Sandpuppy
Jun 16, 2012

Social Abscess
of the
Universe

All I'm getting out of this is that's a very poorly run aquarium.

Also, I saw one of these out in the wild last night:

Muir and Garrison, joining forces at last. I can't decide which I like better, the ever-so-slightly saggy jeans, or that it's advertised as a "Gangster Donald Trump Tee"

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Cool album cover

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

the_steve posted:

"God is a cruel puppetmaster who deliberately created species that would prey and feed on each other for his own amusement?"

What? No, of course not. Animals didn't kill or eat each other until after Adam and Eve were expelled from the garden. When they ate the forbidden fruit, it gave them knowledge of good and bad, and also made all the animals fallen and sinful.

The bible doesn't mention this at all because when God was writing it, he thought it would be obvious. Which it clearly is.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Everything Toles draws is just so adorable :3: (which is kind of incongruous when he's drawing all these terrible situations, but still). He's like a good Chuck Asay.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

That looks a bit more... 3d... than the usual Varvel stuff.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Should have Michelle holding Obama's ankles hauling him with all her might the other way.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

the_steve posted:

I think it's about original sin. "God created a harmonious world, but then Adam and Eve are the fruit, so now everything is killing everything else. Don't be like Adam, do what God says."

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

:australia:

Bill Leak:

David Rowe:

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

"The warmth of life has entered my tomb!"

Squashy Nipples posted:

Same here. Everything that was bad for Gen X is worse for the millennials.

The difference is that Gen X always knew we were hosed, starting with the recession/inflation of the 70s (our famous grunge-esque sense despair and cynicism). Whereas the poor millennials bought into the most of the bullshit that the boomers told them, and were expecting to have it as good as the boomers did. So yeah, gently caress the boomers.

Outsourcing has extremely exacerbated the issue especially in the IT field by limiting the number of available positions. I've been working in IT doing the same thing for 10 years and it is a bitch trying to get anyone to take me seriously when I try to interview for a position above where I am now. The last job I applied for they hired a 52 year old who had been doing a more advanced job for the last 30 years and was looking for something less stressful. Thanks boomers!

Fake edit: this is probably what is driving talent out of IT and into management/starting their own businesses.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

I have to admire Bell's restraint in not putting "PUTIN" on the cuff, or giving it a hammer and sickle cufflink.

Also, his Trump looks kinda like Andy Rooney.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Doc Hawkins posted:

What? No, of course not. Animals didn't kill or eat each other until after Adam and Eve were expelled from the garden. When they ate the forbidden fruit, it gave them knowledge of good and bad, and also made all the animals fallen and sinful.

The bible doesn't mention this at all because when God was writing it, he thought it would be obvious. Which it clearly is.

Yeah it's pretty weird how supposedly all animals lived in harmony until Adam and Eve ate of the fruit. Like, did God punish all the animals for something humans did? Seems rather unnecessary. Seems like it would be a way better lesson if everything else in the world somehow continued to live in peace and harmony but it was just people who were all hosed up and violent. You'd think that would be a pretty good constant reminder of our fall and need to do better

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Jurgan posted:

Adam and Eve are the fruit

A bold re-interpretation that resonates deeply with me. Can you share any of your church's literature with us, or perhaps a tithing schedule?

The Copper Kaiser
Sep 6, 2010

I am a high-iq mentally retarded adult, and bring to bear on intellectual pursuits the demonic energy that characterizes my species!

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

Doc Hawkins posted:

You just have to have faith!

And keep those donations coming, my child.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Doc Hawkins posted:

A bold re-interpretation that resonates deeply with me. Can you share any of your church's literature with us, or perhaps a tithing schedule?

I attend the church of Totalitolerance.

^^^

foot
Mar 28, 2002

why foot why

the_steve posted:

After Eden is the "Sin-Cursed World" comic.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
oh god "totalitolerance" is actually a word that has been used before on the internet by actual people who want to be taken seriously and not just some weird sick burn that adam4d came up with

i shouldn't be surprised I guess

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Totalitarian:
1. of or relating to a centralized government that does not tolerate parties of differing opinion and that exercises dictatorial control over many aspects of life.
2. exercising control over the freedom, will, or thought of others; authoritarian; autocratic.

I am not going to do a checklist, but sounds to me a description of what religion usually do.

Tei fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Jan 9, 2017

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

I love the idea that the most radical, rebellious thing you can do is follow mainstream societal norms.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

What gets me is that they aren't even basic standards of decency. They're just cherry-picked poo poo that Ford likes and feels are under attack, because evangelicals love nothing more than a good persecution complex.

Streak
May 16, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
reminds me of some vape shop that put up a sign warning customers that the shop was a POLITICALLY INCORRECT zone, where they regularly do POLITICALLY INCORRECT things like "saying god bless america" and "showing respect to the police and military"

like those are the least politically incorrect things you could ever do and have been for decades, you loving persecution complex babbies

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost
Adam4d still angry that nubile vixens aren't giving him sloppy blowjobs for being faithful to his wife, I see. Seriously dude, if your marriage is a burden that is causing you so much agony that you think sticking together is some sort of triumph, end it.

More importantly, how the gently caress is "boy holding a sword" supposed to be positive? Jesus wasn't exactly a violence-is-good sort of dude.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Republicans posted:

I love the idea that the most radical, rebellious thing you can do is follow mainstream societal norms.
He literally called being faithful to your spouse "revolutionary".

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Vib Rib posted:

He literally called being faithful to your spouse "revolutionary".

Which is funny considering that his religion was founded by a bastard.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Somfin posted:

Jesus wasn't exactly a violence-is-good sort of dude.

Ummm, don't you remember when the soldiers came to arrest him and Peter cut off that one dude's ear? Jesus was all,"Peter duuuuude that poo poo was totally sick :hfive:"

GOD it sometimes feels like I'm the only one who has read the Bible!

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
How about not reinforcing toxic Gender Roles? No one should be forced to play with Dolls or Trucks just because outdated Genderroles dictates they should. so just :fuckoff: and we'll call it a day

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Republicans posted:

I think to people like him, those societal norms have already lost, probably because of Obama's election. It reflects the range of view and historical memory of a gnat.

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

• Locked thread